scalloped potatoes

Author
ann peeples
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 8490
2010/11/14 11:27:03 (permalink)

scalloped potatoes

You guys have never failed me yet when I have asked for a recipe, so I turn to you. I need a scalloped potato recipe-nothing fancy, just flour, milk, etc. Please help!!

24 Replies Related Threads

wheregreggeats.com
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4615
    Re:scalloped potatoes 2010/11/14 18:25:33 (permalink)

I guess there is always a first time ...

Ain't much goin' on here in these here parts today.
    ann peeples
    Sirloin
    Re:scalloped potatoes 2010/11/14 18:36:51 (permalink)
    I guess not- so I made potato salad to go with the sloppy joes. No complaints!
    seafarer john
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3481
    Re:scalloped potatoes 2010/11/15 11:52:55 (permalink)
    Thinly sliced potatoes (not baking potatoes).
    Thinly sliced onion.
    A slice of ham ( maybe 1/4 inch) or cubes of ham.
    Cheddar cheese, chopped small or shredded.
    Flour - 1 tsp for each cup of milk.
    Butter, about 1 pat per cup of milk.
    Hot Milk to just cover ingredients. 
    salt and pepper.

Butter the baking dish. Layer of potatoes, sprinkle of flour, layer of onion, layer of cheese, salt and pepper,  slice of ham, cheese, onion, potatoes, flour, butter, salt and pepper. Pour milk over all and sprinkle with paparika.
    Bake  uncovered in 350 oven for about an hour (depending on size of dish).

Now, I'd like anyones recipe for hash (to go under a poached egg) made from leftover beef pot roast.

Cheers, John 

post edited by seafarer john - 2010/11/15 11:55:36
    ann peeples
    Sirloin
    Re:scalloped potatoes 2010/11/15 16:05:12 (permalink)
    Thank you seafarer-sounds easy and delicious! Perfect!
    ALLGOOD
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 167
    Re:scalloped potatoes 2010/11/15 17:11:49 (permalink)
    Use a throw away foil loaf pan for this:
    -Yukon gold potatoes diced
    -1 onion chopped fine
    -Milk (2%, enough to cover the potato slices)
    -Salt and pepper to taste
    -8 slices of Kraft American Cheese (put these on top of the whole thing)
    -Cover with foil.
    -Roast in a 325 oven 2 hours.
    -keep on warm in oven until ready to eat.
    ann peeples
    Sirloin
    Re:scalloped potatoes 2010/11/15 17:14:35 (permalink)
    Another great sounding recipe!
    seafarer john
    Filet Mignon
    Re:scalloped potatoes 2010/11/15 18:01:32 (permalink)
    Well, if you are from Wisconsin I guess you have to use Kraft un-cheese. But 2% milk?  Why? And, I guess it's better to throw away  a foil pan full of that Wisconsin orange stuff than to throw away a baking dish that's been in the family for a few generations. 

Cheers, john 
    baileysoriginal
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 758
    Re:scalloped potatoes 2010/11/15 22:34:47 (permalink)
    I used to have problems with scalloped potatoes, using different recipes with the flour, milk and cheeses - I came out with so so results until I started using the gratin recipe - I think the key is paper thin potato slices, s & p, heavy cream and either Gruyere or Parmesan cheese.  Don't layer it - mix it in a large bowl and then put it in the buttered casserole dish - pat it down, cover & bake.  Some caramelized onions or snipped chives are great mixed in also.  Remove the cover for the last few minutes to let it get it's finishing touch.
    BelleReve
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1173
    Re:scalloped potatoes 2010/11/17 17:46:01 (permalink)
    I found this is one of my cookbooks:

Scalloped Potatoes (serves 4)

4 potatoes                            4 1/2 tsp. flour
    1/3 cup chopped onion         1 1/2 tsp. salt
    3 TBS. butter                         1/8 tsp. pepper
    2 cups milk

Peel potatoes and slice into 1/8" crosswise slices.  Place in buttered 11/2 qt. baking dish.  In a saucepan, melt butter, add onion and cook until soft, 5-7 minutes.  Blend in flour, salt, and pepper.  Stir in milk.  Return to heat and cook until mixture thickens slightly, and comes to a boil.   Pour over potato slices and bake covered in a 350 oven for 30 minutes.  Uncover and bake another 45 min-1 hr. or until potatoes are tender.

ann-your post reminded me of a dish my mother used to make, of course she didn't have a name for it and it was made from scratch without a recipe - In a casserole dish - layer peeled and sliced potatoes about 1/4" thick with sliced onion, sliced a little thinnr.  Salt and pepper, a very slight sprinkling of Wondra, grated cheddar, and milk.  Do about 2-3 layers, don't top with any cheese, bake in a 350 oven for 45 min-1 hr, about 30 minutes before it's done, add a top layer of cheese.  The combination of onions and potatoes with the cheese is so good.  I've made it several times from memory, and I don't think you can mess up, other than not adding enough milk, and be careful just to add a slight dusting of the flour.

Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10326
    Re:scalloped potatoes 2010/11/17 18:19:30 (permalink)
    BelleReve

I found this is one of my cookbooks:

Scalloped Potatoes (serves 4)

4 potatoes                            4 1/2 tsp. flour
    1/3 cup chopped onion         1 1/2 tsp. salt
    3 TBS. butter                         1/8 tsp. pepper
    2 cups milk

Peel potatoes and slice into 1/8" crosswise slices.  Place in buttered 11/2 qt. baking dish.  In a saucepan, melt butter, add onion and cook until soft, 5-7 minutes.  Blend in flour, salt, and pepper.  Stir in milk.  Return to heat and cook until mixture thickens slightly, and comes to a boil.   Pour over potato slices and bake covered in a 350 oven for 30 minutes.  Uncover and bake another 45 min-1 hr. or until potatoes are tender.

ann-your post reminded me of a dish my mother used to make, of course she didn't have a name for it and it was made from scratch without a recipe - In a casserole dish - layer peeled and sliced potatoes about 1/4" thick with sliced onion, sliced a little thinnr.  Salt and pepper, a very slight sprinkling of Wondra, grated cheddar, and milk.  Do about 2-3 layers, don't top with any cheese, bake in a 350 oven for 45 min-1 hr, about 30 minutes before it's done, add a top layer of cheese.  The combination of onions and potatoes with the cheese is so good.  I've made it several times from memory, and I don't think you can mess up, other than not adding enough milk, and be careful just to add a slight dusting of the flour. 

By definition, anything baked in a sauce is considered "Scalloped". So your mother's dish was a Scalloped Potato & Cheese dish. Sounds good too. My mother made a similiar dish as well.

BelleReve
    Re:scalloped potatoes 2010/11/17 18:52:24 (permalink)
    Thanks Foodbme, this dish was always a favorite.
    ann peeples
    Sirloin
    Re:scalloped potatoes 2010/11/17 19:06:07 (permalink)
    Thanks- have a houseful of people for the next 12 days( stasting today!) and will definately be making a big old patch of these potatoes. Along with a green salad and some fruit, it will be one of our meatless meals.
    post edited by annpeeples - 2010/11/17 19:08:06
    BelleReve
    Re:scalloped potatoes 2010/11/18 13:59:41 (permalink)
    geez, and I was talking about messing up - that cheese-onion-potato casserole needs a few pats of butter between the layers.
    californyguy
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 513
    Re:scalloped potatoes 2010/11/18 14:25:27 (permalink)
    Years ago I worked at a social service facility-the cook , a wonderful woman named Bert made the best scalloped potatos-creamy , cheesy, just heaven. I have tried many times but just can't measure up ;a quick favorite are  Betty Crocker boxed scalloped potatos- if you add a cup or more of good quality grated cheddar to the ingedients and cook a little beyond the time indicated on the box you will be surprised at what you come out with and may even have people ask you for the recipe-just say its a secret family recipe from your Aunt Betty haha  
    californyguy
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 513
    Re:scalloped potatoes 2010/11/18 14:46:26 (permalink)
    no. no her name was Gert not Bert!
    ALLGOOD
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 167
    Re:scalloped potatoes 2010/11/18 16:13:04 (permalink)
    seafarer john

Well, if you are from Wisconsin I guess you have to use Kraft un-cheese. But 2% milk?  Why? And, I guess it's better to throw away  a foil pan full of that Wisconsin orange stuff than to throw away a baking dish that's been in the family for a few generations. 

Cheers, john 

Well, real WI cheese doesn't melt like the cheap stuff so when baking, always use the cheap stuff.  2% milk is like water to me ... I would prefer WHOLE milk but it is a little thick for this recipe.  Foil pans are always the SMART cooks choice. (at least when the cook works a full time job and is also a parent with busy children) LOL
    seafarer john
    Filet Mignon
    Re:scalloped potatoes 2010/11/19 08:50:13 (permalink)
    Try some New York state aged cheddar - it melts great.

Cheers, John 
    ann peeples
    Sirloin
    Re:scalloped potatoes 2010/11/19 08:54:15 (permalink)
    Currently, I have a 2 year old Wisconsin cheddar I will be using-but being the cheese freak that I am, I will try New York cheddar next time!
    seafarer john
    Filet Mignon
    Re:scalloped potatoes 2010/11/20 11:10:52 (permalink)
    If you can find Adams Reserve, extra sharp NY State cheddar, it is very good for a widely distributed brand - had some this morning in an omelette. It is aged only one year and has very little crumble, but has a nice sharpness and melts nicely in an omelette or sandwich. The other very widely distributed brand that I know of is , Hell-of-a-good, (not sure of the spelling) which can be OK, but sometimes is not so great.
    BTW: Just so you now I'm not prejudiced against Wisconsin, I have to tell you that I've been disappointed more often than not by Vermont's much-lauded cheddars - especially those that get wide distribution outside the state.

Cheers, John  
    ann peeples
    Sirloin
    Re:scalloped potatoes 2010/11/20 11:18:15 (permalink)
    Thanks for the heads up on the names of N.Y. cheddar. I know you are not prejudiced against Wi.-hell, if you have a good cheese from your state, or any state, I want to know! I, too have been greatly disappointed in some of our state made cheeses...
    emmymom
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 94
    Re:scalloped potatoes 2010/11/22 00:40:51 (permalink)
    Better late than never, John - here's my recipe for pot roast hash.  I had a lot of leftover pot roast when I read your post, and was getting sick of the hot beef sandwiches, and your idea sounded good, so I made one up.  It came out great!

Take two tennis ball sized potatoes and chop into half inch dice, along with a small green pepper and a medium onion.  Put a couple of tablespoons of vegetable oil in a nonstick pan, and saute these over medium high heat, stirring frequently, until the potatoes and onions are browning nicely (this will take about 15-20 minutes.)  Meanwhile chop up your leftover pot roast (about a cup to a cup and a half)  into half inch pieces as well.  When the potatoes are about done, stir in the beef and cook for about another 3-4 minutes to heat through.  Salt and pepper to taste.  Simple but good!
    seafarer john
    Filet Mignon
    Re:scalloped potatoes 2010/11/22 09:39:53 (permalink)
    Thanks for the hash recipe. We wound up using our leftover pot roast in a kind of Strogonoff  recipe that worked out very nicely. Next time I'll try the hash, but it's not exactly what I was looking for. When I was a youngster I used to help my grandmother make hash. I'd crank the old fashioned clamp-on-the-kitchen-table grinder and she'd feed it meat and vegetables - resulting in a quite fine mixture. Trouble is, except that it was fried in a big iron skillet, I don't know what grandma did with the mixture in terms of seasoning and maybe some other additions. One other thing I do remember she always ran a stale piece of bread through the grinder as the last thing  - I guess this became part of the hash. 

Cheers, John 
    ann peeples
    Sirloin
    Re:scalloped potatoes 2010/11/23 21:38:14 (permalink)
    Just wanted to report in that the scalloped potatoes I made for my southern cousins were awesome. I kind of combined everyones suggestions and they were creamy, cheesy and great on a cold Wisconsin night. I definately think the sharp cheddar I used was the trick.Thanks, all!!!!
    boyardee65
    • Total Posts : 1460
    Re:scalloped potatoes 2010/11/24 10:44:25 (permalink)
    baileysoriginal

I used to have problems with scalloped potatoes, using different recipes with the flour, milk and cheeses - I came out with so so results until I started using the gratin recipe - I think the key is paper thin potato slices, s & p, heavy cream and either Gruyere or Parmesan cheese.  Don't layer it - mix it in a large bowl and then put it in the buttered casserole dish - pat it down, cover & bake.  Some caramelized onions or snipped chives are great mixed in also.  Remove the cover for the last few minutes to let it get it's finishing touch.

This is the recipe that I use with the addition of fresh thyme and rosemary. I like to layer the spuds though.
    JMHO

David O.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1