sloppy joe (Northeastern New Jersey style)

Author
brookquarry
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 278
2005/03/24 08:28:28 (permalink)

sloppy joe (Northeastern New Jersey style)

Okay heres a differant question.i've seen some reference on other boards to a sandwich served in some areas of Northeastern New Jersey called a 'Sloppy Joe'.
This is nothing like the Manwich type mixture of hambuger and tomatoe sauce which is what we call sloppy joes in Pennsylvania.
Instead it is some type of club sandwich appaently often including tongue, which is served in delis i n the Garden State.
Can anyone shed light on this sandwich. What exactly is it?Where is it found? Who makes the best one?
Perhaps John Fox can step beyond his accustomed roll of hot dog maven and shed light on one of New Jersey's other unique culinary offerings.

3 Replies Related Threads

tonemonster2
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 187
    RE: sloppy joe (Northeastern New Jersey style) 2005/03/24 08:52:31 (permalink)
    The best one I've ever had was at the Milburn Deli in downtown Milburn. It is a sloppy sandwich, similar to a rueben, served on very thin rye bread. I don't remember tongue, but ham turkey, thousand island dressing.
    dreamzpainter
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1609
    RE: sloppy joe (Northeastern New Jersey style) 2005/03/24 12:36:21 (permalink)
    I'm originally from south jersey, the only "sloppy joe's" I remember where made with groundmeat, onions, peppers and tomatoe gravy, mom called the ones she made with brown gravy "sloppy pete's" and I usually skipped the bun and poured the mix right over cheese fries
    keef richards
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 42
    RE: sloppy joe (Northeastern New Jersey style) 2005/03/24 20:09:25 (permalink)
    i wouldn't consider this unique to north jersey. i have seen it a couple different ways. the thing that makes it a sloppy joe seems to be russian dressing cole slaw and cheese. the rest could be anything roast beef , ham, turkey or some combination. not a bad sandwich but it has a lot of variables and there are better sanwiches in nj.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1