The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

sloppy joe (Northeastern New Jersey style)

brookquarry

• Total Posts: 277
sloppy joe (Northeastern New Jersey style) Thu, 03/24/05 8:28 AM (permalink)
Okay heres a differant question.i've seen some reference on other boards to a sandwich served in some areas of Northeastern New Jersey called a 'Sloppy Joe'.
This is nothing like the Manwich type mixture of hambuger and tomatoe sauce which is what we call sloppy joes in Pennsylvania.
Instead it is some type of club sandwich appaently often including tongue, which is served in delis i n the Garden State.
Can anyone shed light on this sandwich. What exactly is it?Where is it found? Who makes the best one?
Perhaps John Fox can step beyond his accustomed roll of hot dog maven and shed light on one of New Jersey's other unique culinary offerings.

tonemonster2

• Total Posts: 187
    RE: sloppy joe (Northeastern New Jersey style) Thu, 03/24/05 8:52 AM (permalink)
    The best one I've ever had was at the Milburn Deli in downtown Milburn. It is a sloppy sandwich, similar to a rueben, served on very thin rye bread. I don't remember tongue, but ham turkey, thousand island dressing.

dreamzpainter

• Total Posts: 1609
      RE: sloppy joe (Northeastern New Jersey style) Thu, 03/24/05 12:36 PM (permalink)
      I'm originally from south jersey, the only "sloppy joe's" I remember where made with groundmeat, onions, peppers and tomatoe gravy, mom called the ones she made with brown gravy "sloppy pete's" and I usually skipped the bun and poured the mix right over cheese fries

keef richards

• Total Posts: 42
        RE: sloppy joe (Northeastern New Jersey style) Thu, 03/24/05 8:09 PM (permalink)
        i wouldn't consider this unique to north jersey. i have seen it a couple different ways. the thing that makes it a sloppy joe seems to be russian dressing cole slaw and cheese. the rest could be anything roast beef , ham, turkey or some combination. not a bad sandwich but it has a lot of variables and there are better sanwiches in nj.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
          • No New Messages
          • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
          • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
          • Locked w/ New Messages
          • Locked w/o New Messages
          • Read Message
          • Post New Thread
          • Reply to message
          • Post New Poll
          • Submit Vote
          • Post reward post
          • Delete my own posts
          • Delete my own threads
          • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
          What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com