• Total Posts : 7911
2009/03/02 18:39:42 (permalink)

some more sad news- Coffee Cup Charlotte- gone

http://www.wsoctv.com/news/18562547/detail.html

14 Replies Related Threads

The Travelin Man
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3759
    Re:some more sad news- Coffee Cup Charlotte- gone 2009/03/02 18:50:42 (permalink)
    More importantly, did you see that the newspaper linked to one of your photos in "their" slide show?

This was featured, but they only say that the photo was found on flickr, without giving proper credit to the photographer.  I would email the editor and ask to be paid for the use of your photo or have them take it down.   They also used your photos of the cornbread and sweet potato cobbler.

And, I still cannot tell if just the downtown location is closed or if the location where I ate is also closed.  I don't recall the address, but it was not downtown.
    post edited by The Travelin Man - 2009/03/02 18:51:56
    wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    Re:some more sad news- Coffee Cup Charlotte- gone 2009/03/02 20:01:54 (permalink)
    The Travelin Man

More importantly, did you see that the newspaper linked to one of your photos in "their" slide show?

This was featured, but they only say that the photo was found on flickr, without giving proper credit to the photographer.  I would email the editor and ask to be paid for the use of your photo or have them take it down.   They also used your photos of the cornbread and sweet potato cobbler.

And, I still cannot tell if just the downtown location is closed or if the location where I ate is also closed.  I don't recall the address, but it was not downtown.

Wow, I feel honored and slighted at the same time!

It's not really that big a deal to me if they want to use my photos. Hey it's not like I'm a professional photographer who gets paid to do that stuff.

All the locations are closed now, it's gone.

carolina bob
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3420
    Re:some more sad news- Coffee Cup Charlotte- gone 2009/03/02 20:02:27 (permalink)
    This is really bad news, and I'm sorry that I never got to eat there. We've lost way too many roadfood restaurants in the last several years ( Skinhead's, Ma Glockner's, the Southern Kitchen in WV, etc., etc. ), and with the economy in the toilet, I'm afraid that there's more bad news ahead. 
    The Travelin Man
    Filet Mignon
    Re:some more sad news- Coffee Cup Charlotte- gone 2009/03/02 21:51:39 (permalink)
    wanderingjew

It's not really that big a deal to me if they want to use my photos. Hey it's not like I'm a professional photographer who gets paid to do that stuff.

I understand the being honored part - but, if it were me, I would be way more upset that someone/some business "borrowed" my work without asking me permission.  Moreover, the folks who used your photo without your permission operate a business - theoretically for the purpose to earn a profit.  In other words, they want to use something of yours, to make money, without offering you your share - or even getting your permission.  It's wrong.

And, it's a real shame that a place that produced meals as wonderful as The Coffee Cup could not survive this economic situation.  FWIW, given the initial role of real estate investors leading to the demise of the restaurant - this ordeal really is a microcosm of the entire last few years of the country's lifecycle.
    joclyn
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 360
    Re:some more sad news- Coffee Cup Charlotte- gone 2009/03/03 01:44:00 (permalink)
    there's implied copywrite to what you post - whether it's text or pics. 

very unprofessional of them to not at least ask if it was okay.  i'd contact and ask for payment and if they don't want to do that, demand they remove your property.
    buffetbuster
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10424
    Re:some more sad news- Coffee Cup Charlotte- gone 2009/03/03 07:10:59 (permalink)
    Well, that certainly sucks!!!  After hearing WJ rave about this place for years, I have been wanting to eat at The Coffee Cup and never made it.  It sounds like this place was a real local institution.
    wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    Re:some more sad news- Coffee Cup Charlotte- gone 2009/03/03 08:16:44 (permalink)
    The Travelin Man

wanderingjew

I understand the being honored part - but, if it were me, I would be way more upset that someone/some business "borrowed" my work without asking me permission.  Moreover, the folks who used your photo without your permission operate a business - theoretically for the purpose to earn a profit.  In other words, they want to use something of yours, to make money, without offering you your share - or even getting your permission.  It's wrong.

And, it's a real shame that a place that produced meals as wonderful as The Coffee Cup could not survive this economic situation.  FWIW, given the initial role of real estate investors leading to the demise of the restaurant - this ordeal really is a microcosm of the entire last few years of the country's lifecycle.

If I were a professional photographer with copyrighted photos, I would be extremely pissed off, Since I'm only in it "for fun" and I see flickr as a "clearinghouse" for photos, I guess it just really isn't that important to me. I can't deny I've been guilty of doing the same.

My only problem is now I have to find another "meat n three" in Charlotte that was just as good as the Coffee Cup.
    TJ Jackson
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4596
    Re:some more sad news- Coffee Cup Charlotte- gone 2009/03/03 09:31:00 (permalink)
    Should I mention I was "Traveling-manned" when I tried to go to their downtown location back in July?

I was able to get to Spoon's BBQ, Green's Lunch, and Price's Chicken Coop
    The Travelin Man
    Filet Mignon
    Re:some more sad news- Coffee Cup Charlotte- gone 2009/03/03 09:40:35 (permalink)
    I hate to overshadow the news of a beloved lost institution, but, in some ways, I really do see these two topics as related.

From Flickr's FAQ (wow...try saying that five times fast!)  In particular, check out the last section.

It does not matter that you are not a professional photographer, your photos are your personal property and a business used them without your permission, compensation, or even a photo credit.  By not protecting the rights of your property, you are allowing this practice to continue.  As Davydd has mentioned previously, he is now cautious about posting images to the Internet because of the proliferation of stolen photos.  If this situation persists, how many others would stop posting their photos for fear that they would lose control over their own work? 

Further, if this situation had been reversed - you used some of this television station's material without their "express written consent" (I am sure that you have heard that phrase before - and trust me, so have they!), you would have a team of lawyers sending you cease and desist orders - quickly.

If your neighbor came by and asked to "borrow" some sugar to bake a cake, you would likely give it to them without any expectation of getting the sugar back.  But, if the bakery up the road took whatever they needed out of your pantry to help themselves make a profit, wouldn't you be a little tweaked?  Forgetting the issue that you would be deprived the use of your pantry goods in my example - while you are clearly not deprived the use of your photos - the situations really are similar in nature.
    Nancypalooza
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3778
    Re:some more sad news- Coffee Cup Charlotte- gone 2009/03/04 13:18:33 (permalink)
    Let me put my two cents' worth into the fair-use-or-not argument.  Dale, you just subsidized the business of McClatchy Newspapers.  They didn't have to send a pool photographer out to get that picture because they just used yours.  Now, if you're really a right wing radio guy, that should probably just about burst that vessel in your forehead.  So you think on that a while.
    wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    Re:some more sad news- Coffee Cup Charlotte- gone 2009/03/04 13:20:06 (permalink)
    Nancypalooza

Let me put my two cents' worth into the fair-use-or-not argument.  Dale, you just subsidized the business of McClatchy Newspapers.  They didn't have to send a pool photographer out to get that picture because they just used yours.  Now, if you're really a right wing radio guy, that should probably just about burst that vessel in your forehead.  So you think on that a while.

Actually I'm not a right wing guy, nor a left wing guy. But either way, I guess its just not that important to me.
    buffetbuster
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10424
    Re:some more sad news- Coffee Cup Charlotte- gone 2009/03/04 13:22:36 (permalink)
    Nancy-
    I made that joke in the other thread, because Poverty Pete made WJ listen to five straight hours of right wing talk radio on the way from Nashville to Greenville, MS.
    Nancypalooza
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3778
    Re:some more sad news- Coffee Cup Charlotte- gone 2009/03/04 14:00:52 (permalink)
    Ohhhh, and he didn't offer any Tums when it was over?  Sheesh.
    Wabbit
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 477
    Re:some more sad news- Coffee Cup Charlotte- gone 2009/03/04 14:01:46 (permalink)
    I do think WJ should have been credited for his photo, and it is a shame to lose another fine meat and three, they were good , and I would have gladly paid more as they were worth it.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1