The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

something different for the big game

the grillman

• Total Posts: 624
something different for the big game Mon, 01/27/14 6:26 PM (permalink)
Planning our Superbowl party menu; we will have the usual things...wings, chips, dips, chili, a sandwich platter, brownies, etc, but am trying to think of something "different"....do you all have a favorite outside the usual stuff?

FriedClamFanatic

• Total Posts: 1496
    Re:something different for the big game Mon, 01/27/14 7:32 PM (permalink)
    I do stuffed quahogs....but with this name I guess I'm kinda stuck.  Folks seem to like them, tho.

I suppose this year Rocky Mountain Oysters might fit the bill..........or you could do just plain old fried oysters and fake it

Foodbme

• Total Posts: 9567
      Re:something different for the big game Mon, 01/27/14 7:33 PM (permalink)
      Fresh Fruit Kabobs!
      Easy to make finger food and a refreshing taste.
      Shrimp Cocktail.

Wintahaba

• Total Posts: 109
        Re:something different for the big game Mon, 01/27/14 7:47 PM (permalink)
        My wife makes these on game days....especially when it's -35 wind chill factor like today...a nice combination, not as messy as one would think. http://www.foodnetwork.co...sandwiches-recipe.html

dadetigl

• Total Posts: 116
          Re:something different for the big game Mon, 01/27/14 7:50 PM (permalink)
          Washington vs. Colorado = Legally Herbed Magic Brownies!  They will be a hit!  Plus assorted munchies.

pnwchef

• Total Posts: 2237
            Re:something different for the big game Mon, 01/27/14 8:47 PM (permalink)
            dadetigl

Washington vs. Colorado = Legally Herbed Magic Brownies!  They will be a hit!  Plus assorted munchies.

We just like playing on natural grass.............Go Hawks!!!!!!!!!

drummagick

• Total Posts: 167
              Re:something different for the big game Mon, 01/27/14 9:55 PM (permalink)
              pnwchef

dadetigl

We just like playing on natural grass.............Go Hawks!!!!!!!!!

+1 !!!!!!

Davydd

• Total Posts: 6224
                Re:something different for the big game Mon, 01/27/14 10:19 PM (permalink)
                This year I have nothing special planned other than maybe drinking a Colorado beer. Last year I made this Kaepernickel Bread I invented which was a combination of pumpernickel and San Francisco sour dough with football lacing.

In a past Super Bowl with the Colts I made these mini slider size deep fried breaded pork tenderloin sandwiches.

Foodbme

Re:something different for the big game Mon, 01/27/14 10:40 PM (permalink)
                  For you Seahawk Fans:
                  Salmon BLT Sliders with Chipotle Mayo
                  Loaded sliders with baked salmon and crisp bacon smothered in spicy chipotle mayo
                  Ingredients:
                  1 pound salmon filets
                  Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
                  2 slices bacon, cut into thirds
                  1/4 cup mayonnaise
                  2 tablespoons chipotle peppers, in adobo sauce
                  4 slider buns, split, toasted, for serving
                  2 cups spring mix, for serving
                  2 Roma tomatoes, thinly sliced, for serving
                  Instructions
                  Preheat oven to the broiler setting. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
                  Cut salmon into square pieces that fit the slider buns; season with salt and pepper, to taste.
                  Place salmon filets onto prepared baking dish and broil until pink, about 5 minutes. Gently flip and broil until the fish flakes easily with a fork, about 5 minutes.
                  Heat a large skillet over medium high heat. Add bacon and cook until brown and crispy, about 6-8 minutes. Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate.
                  In a small bowl, whisk together mayonnaise and chipotle peppers.
                  Serve salmon on rolls with bacon, spring mix, tomatoes and chipotle mayonnaise.

Foodbme

Re:something different for the big game Mon, 01/27/14 11:10 PM (permalink)
                    For you Bronco Fans;
                    Rocky Mountain Oyster Sliders
                    Ingredients:
                    2 pounds bull testicles (sheep or turkey testicles may be substituted)
                    1 cup all-purpose flour
                    1/2 cup bread crumbs
                    1/2 cup Parmesan cheese (freshly shredded is preferable but grated will work)
                    2 large eggs
                    1 tablespoon milk
                    Seasonings to taste
                    (I use a seasoning mixture made of equal amounts of salt, onion powder, garlic powder, black pepper and cayenne)
                    Louisiana Hot Sauce
                    Cooking oil
                    8 Slider buns
                    Lettuce
                    2 Roma Tomatoes
                    Horseradish
                    Mayo
                    Directions:
                    1. If you can't find them already cut and processed, split the tough skin-like muscle that surrounds each oyster lengthwise. Peel and discard the skin. Slice lengthwise 1/4 thick. Either run through tenderizer once or pound with meat tenderizer.
                    2. Soak oysters in a pan with enough salt water to cover them for at least one hour (this takes out some of the blood). Drain. Rinse.
                    3. Soak oysters in a pan with enough milk to cover them for at least one hour (this takes out more of the blood and some of the saltiness). Drain. Rinse.
                    4. Lightly sprinkle seasonings on both sides of sliced oyster to taste.
                    5. Put flour in a shallow dish.
                    6. Put eggs in separate shallow dish and lightly whip in milk.
                    7. Put bread crumbs in a separate shallow dish and thoroughly mix in Parmesan cheese and seasonings, to taste.
                    8. Dredge each oyster into flour, then dip into egg mixture, and then dip into bread crumb/cheese mixture.
                    9. Place into hot cooking oil and cook until golden brown or tender (the
                      longer they cook, the tougher they get).
                    10. Mix mayo, horseradish and hot sauce to your tastes. Spread on slider buns.
                    11. Add oysters and top with lettuce and a slice of tomato.
                    Makes 6 to 8 servings.

Pancho

• Total Posts: 915
                      Re:something different for the big game Tue, 01/28/14 7:28 AM (permalink)
                      I'm going to give this a shot along with some other typical things.
                      http://gastronomyblog.com...12/chicken-liver-pate/

kevincad

• Total Posts: 399
                        Re:something different for the big game Tue, 01/28/14 9:14 AM (permalink)
                        Wintahaba

My wife makes these on game days....especially when it's -35 wind chill factor like today...a nice combination, not as messy as one would think. http://www.foodnetwork.co...sandwiches-recipe.html

Those sound very good!!

Sonny Funzio

• Total Posts: 902
                          Re:something different for the big game Tue, 01/28/14 12:34 PM (permalink)
                          Rumaki !!!

http://www.roadfood.com/F...196960&high=rumaki

(the recipe is in the opening post, near the bottom of that post)

<message edited by Sonny Funzio on Tue, 01/28/14 12:39 PM>

the grillman

Re:something different for the big game Sun, 02/2/14 1:39 PM (permalink)
                            thanks to all for the great suggestions. After a lot of consideration, I gave in to my love of Mediterranean influence in cuisine, and decided to make lamb and beef meatballs with lots of rosemary and garlic, and serve them with a tzikaki (sp) style sauce of cucumber and greek yogurt. There will be hummus, pita and some feta and olives, too. I just love lamb in about any form, and I haven't made these before, but am looking forward to it. Using about 2/3 lamb to 1/3 beef, it should taste a lot like a high quality gyro meat, I think.

This of course is in addition to the usual chips, dips, wings, etc.

CCinNJ

• Total Posts: 7751
                              Re:something different for the big game Sun, 02/2/14 3:57 PM (permalink)
                              Sounds great Grillman!

Kenji @ Serious Eats had a nice article/recipe for homemade gyros a few years back...

http://www.seriouseats.co...atch-the-food-lab.html

Pancho

Re:something different for the big game Sun, 02/2/14 5:11 PM (permalink)
                                the grillman

thanks to all for the great suggestions. After a lot of consideration, I gave in to my love of Mediterranean influence in cuisine, and decided to make lamb and beef meatballs with lots of rosemary and garlic, and serve them with a tzikaki (sp) style sauce of cucumber and greek yogurt. There will be hummus, pita and some feta and olives, too. I just love lamb in about any form, and I haven't made these before, but am looking forward to it. Using about 2/3 lamb to 1/3 beef, it should taste a lot like a high quality gyro meat, I think.

This of course is in addition to the usual chips, dips, wings, etc.
                                Sounds fantastic...save a few for me. I'll be over in an hour or so.

Wintahaba

• Total Posts: 109
                                  Re:something different for the big game Sun, 02/2/14 5:18 PM (permalink)
                                  @the grillman...sounds awesome, post the recipe.  I am also going to try to make it over...I love Saint Charles, as I spent around 4 months in Bridgeton/St Peters a few years back. Great area...great people....great food. 

CajunKing

• Total Posts: 6317
                                    • Roadfood Insider
                                    Re:something different for the big game Sun, 02/2/14 5:58 PM (permalink)
                                    Meat loaf just came out of the oven, the baked potatoes will be done in about 5 minutes, and the SNOW just started flying again.

Another winter storm warning 4 to 6 inches of freezing rain and snow by dawn.....

DAMN GROUND HOG!!!

CCinNJ

Re:something different for the big game Sun, 02/2/14 6:00 PM (permalink)
                                      He's probably in a pot of Brunswick Stew right now....

CajunKing

• Total Posts: 6317
                                        • Roadfood Insider
                                        Re:something different for the big game Sun, 02/2/14 6:22 PM (permalink)
                                        CCinNJ

He's probably in a pot of Brunswick Stew right now....

As well he should be!!!

CCinNJ

Re:something different for the big game Sun, 02/2/14 7:18 PM (permalink)
                                          That's as different as it gets...for a city girl.

EdSails

• Total Posts: 3581
                                            Re:something different for the big game Sun, 02/2/14 10:43 PM (permalink)
                                            To accompany the Seahawks victory I smoked chicken wings and then finished them with a chipotle BBQ sauce, made cocktail veal meatballs with a lignonberry honey sauce and smoked shrimp marinated in a satay sauce. 

We also had spinach artichoke dip served in a round loaf of King's Hawaiian bread. Plus beer and a blowout!

FriedClamFanatic

• Total Posts: 1496
                                              Re:something different for the big game Mon, 02/3/14 9:25 AM (permalink)
                                              Those shrimp are a work of art!

kevincad

• Total Posts: 399
                                                Re:something different for the big game Mon, 02/3/14 9:41 AM (permalink)
                                                EdSails

To accompany the Seahawks victory I smoked chicken wings and then finished them with a chipotle BBQ sauce, made cocktail veal meatballs with a lignonberry honey sauce and smoked shrimp marinated in a satay sauce. 

We also had spinach artichoke dip served in a round loaf of King's Hawaiian bread. Plus beer and a blowout!

Please, do tell, what temp and how long do you smoke your shrimp?

lleechef

• Total Posts: 6233
                                                  Re:something different for the big game Mon, 02/3/14 10:53 AM (permalink)
                                                  Looks great, Ed...........don't forget my birthday is coming up. 

the grillman

• Location: Saint Charles, MO
                                                    Re:something different for the big game Sun, 02/9/14 8:57 PM (permalink)
                                                    Wintahaba

@the grillman...sounds awesome, post the recipe.  I am also going to try to make it over...I love Saint Charles, as I spent around 4 months in Bridgeton/St Peters a few years back. Great area...great people....great food. 

yeah, there are some nice folks around here.  The local food scene has really improved over the last few years, too.
                                                    RE: the meatballs, I tend to just throw things together; they turned out a bit too meatloafy, IMO, but they were good, nonetheless.  2 lbs ground lamb, 1 pound ground beef, some minced onion, parsley, rosemary, thyme, some dry breadcrumbs, minced garlic, salt, pepper, a couple eggs, some milk to moisten the breadcrumbs.  Mixed up and baked them off in a 350 oven.   I probably needed to amp up the seasoning some more, maybe added some crumbled feta, but they still ate pretty good.  Never met a homemade meatball I didn't like, anyway.

Pancho

Re:something different for the big game Mon, 02/10/14 3:01 PM (permalink)
                                                      the grillman

Wintahaba

yeah, there are some nice folks around here.  The local food scene has really improved over the last few years, too.
                                                      RE: the meatballs, I tend to just throw things together; they turned out a bit too meatloafy, IMO, but they were good, nonetheless.  2 lbs ground lamb, 1 pound ground beef, some minced onion, parsley, rosemary, thyme, some dry breadcrumbs, minced garlic, salt, pepper, a couple eggs, some milk to moisten the breadcrumbs.  Mixed up and baked them off in a 350 oven.   I probably needed to amp up the seasoning some more, maybe added some crumbled feta, but they still ate pretty good.  Never met a homemade meatball I didn't like, anyway.
                                                      I find a key ingredient in seasoning lamb is MINT.

EdSails

• Total Posts: 3581
                                                        • Location: Mission Viejo, CA
                                                        Re:something different for the big game Mon, 02/10/14 5:15 PM (permalink)
                                                        Thanks, FriedClamFanatic.

KevinCad, I smoked them for about 45 minutes at 180 degrees in my Traeger, over maple. 

LleeChef, You never know what you might have for your birthday!

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                          • No New Messages
                                                          • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                          • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                          • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                          • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                          • Read Message
                                                          • Post New Thread
                                                          • Reply to message
                                                          • Post New Poll
                                                          • Submit Vote
                                                          • Post reward post
                                                          • Delete my own posts
                                                          • Delete my own threads
                                                          • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                          What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com