south carolina barbeque - cades S.C

Author
carter
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 2
2004/11/14 12:06:46 (permalink)

south carolina barbeque - cades S.C

My mom was from the South Carolina low country and there is a barbecue made there to die for and not many people have tried it. When I was young, they still had a pig-picking every weekend in her hometown of Cades, which is located between Florence and Kingstree. The pick-picking was on Saturday or Sunday after the pig had cooked in a pit all night. I don't know how often it is done now, but there is a restaurant on hwy 52 called Brown's Barbecue that serves the traditional style. The barbecue is not eaten with red sauce, or any other sauce for that matter because the sauce is a vinegary hot sauce that is integrated into the shredded pork. Every now and then, a relative sends or brings me some and everyone finds it irrisistable. I even ate it in college when I was supposed to be a vegetarian. The Sterns just HAVE to try this!!!

Sincerely,
Helen Carter

Brown's BBQ
Highway 52 N 809 N Williamsburg
Kingstree SC
(843) 382-275

14 Replies Related Threads

mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15273
    RE: south carolina barbeque - cades S.C 2004/11/14 12:44:41 (permalink)
    Helen
    Welcome to the Roadfood Forums. Your description of Brown's BBQ is as good or better than many of the informal reviews we have read all over this website. Is the place open all week-long, or is it one of those "Weekend Only" kind of operations?
    We will put it on the list of places to visit next time we wander over that way!.
    AL
    shanklemsw
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 169
    RE: south carolina barbeque - cades S.C 2004/11/15 08:39:23 (permalink)
    I'm going by there on my way to Thanksgiving at my mother's next week. I'll check on the hours as I go by on 52. I'll try the Q - I love that vinegar sauce. Of course Mom and Daddy live in Greensboro so I'll be going by Lex 1 when I'm on my way back. All this food! I am a lucky girl!
    shanklemsw
    Cheeseburger
    RE: south carolina barbeque - cades S.C 2004/11/27 17:15:58 (permalink)
    Yall,
    I just got back from NC. While my mother's traditional eats have my heart, the highlight of my trip was stopping at Brown's. I was there at lunchtime on Wednesday and it was PACKED with people (many senior women) picking up pounds of pork and hushpuppies for their loved ones. Apparently they were smoking turkeys for people who requested them. I got a pulled pork sandwich (on white Merita hamburger bun) and it was delicious. Just the right amount of vinegary-hot-sweet without being drippy. No mustard or tomato sauce at all, which is my preference. These people are the parent's of the owner of my local fave Momma Brown's. This place is a traditional treat. The lunch buffet goers looked happy too! I highly recommend Brown's and will include it in my Hwy 52 BBQ compilation due out sometime during my lifetime.
    shanklemsw
    Cheeseburger
    RE: south carolina barbeque - cades S.C 2005/01/18 17:57:01 (permalink)
    Okay I have now been there 4 times and got the buffet this last go round. It's worth the $8 for the buffet-real fried chicken, BBQ, real macaroni and cheese with the crusty top, collards, slaw, and nana puddin. I am now going to yoga to stretch myself back into shape. Om.
    QFan
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 642
    RE: south carolina barbeque - cades S.C 2005/01/18 18:12:55 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by shanklemsw

Yall,
    I just got back from NC. While my mother's traditional eats have my heart, the highlight of my trip was stopping at Brown's. I was there at lunchtime on Wednesday and it was PACKED with people (many senior women) picking up pounds of pork and hushpuppies for their loved ones. Apparently they were smoking turkeys for people who requested them. I got a pulled pork sandwich (on white Merita hamburger bun) and it was delicious. Just the right amount of vinegary-hot-sweet without being drippy. No mustard or tomato sauce at all, which is my preference. These people are the parent's of the owner of my local fave Momma Brown's. This place is a traditional treat. The lunch buffet goers looked happy too! I highly recommend Brown's and will include it in my Hwy 52 BBQ compilation due out sometime during my lifetime.

OMG, I'm just drooling reading this! Can't wait for my next RF trip up I-95 to D.C. (where I'm always willing to drive 75-100 miles out of the way for good Q). Thanks for the delicious description.
    QFan
    Bonita Springs, FL
    mbaltusk
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 22
    RE: south carolina barbeque - cades S.C 2007/10/08 22:33:15 (permalink)
    I have to add my taste buds to the applause for Brown's, I wanted to sit there and eat all afternoon long. I never had such tender moist and flavorful meat. The sides are very tasty too. I didn't try the pudding dessert, it was some type of old school pudding. Someone totally immersed the spoon in the pudding, and being a bit of a germ-o-phobe I just couldn't eat it after seeing that. Kudos to the rest if it though. Definitely a can't miss if you are looking for good food in the area.
    madelynpl
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 1
    RE: south carolina barbeque - cades S.C 2008/11/14 15:05:42 (permalink)
    Thought you'd like to know...there's another Brown's location... in Monck's Corner. Also on US 52, about 45 minutes south of the one in Kingstree, close to Charleston and Summerville. Coming from the North, it is on your Right, just past Wal-Mart, and coming from the South or East (Charleston) it is on your Left, just past McDonald's & KFC. It's a converted old Service Station, but don't let that fool you! It's just as good as the other location, only smaller. Buffett everyday!

FYI - The Vinegar Sauce is a Virginia thing (where all BBQ started in the early 1600's)In the grocery stores there, buy Doughtie's brand. Red Sauces started in western North Carolina and migrated westward. South Carolina (Lowcountry) gave us the Mustard based sauces, and Texas eventullay contributed Hot Sauce to the Tomatoed based sauces. Tennessee added Whiskey, and Dry Rubs to the options.

It is hard to find Virginia style BBQ in the SC Lowcountry, & Brown's is the best I've found so far! For the best in Mustard sauces, try Bessinger's, or Melvin's, or Maurice's (all of the same family). Stickey Fingers offers great NC & Tennessse options in the Charleston area.
    Ort. Carlton.
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3589
    RE: south carolina barbeque - cades S.C 2008/11/14 19:42:56 (permalink)
    Dearfolk,
    By the same token, it's going to be hard to beat my favorite vinegar-based commercial sauce: Scott's from Goldsboro, N. C. This must be in a similar style to the Virginia sauce you described.
    My favorite packaged mustard-based sauce is Shealy's from Batesburg/Leesville, S. C. They have a big buffet restaurant directly on U. S. 1 in town (closed Sunday and Wednesday; local competitor Jackie Hite's BBQ over on Railroad Street is closed Monday). Shealy's sauce can be found in any of the four or five supermarkets in Batesburg/Leesville, and probably in Aiken and Lexington to boot. It's worth a detour off I-20 to buy some.
    Saucily, Ort. Carlton in Tomato-Based Athens, Georgia.
    JayL
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 229
    RE: south carolina barbeque - cades S.C 2008/11/18 15:33:14 (permalink)
    LOL...funny that the "Virginia Style" is most often referred to as "Carolina Style" or more commonly as "Eastern NC Style". I'm wondering what Virginia book writer wrote about BBQ beginning in that state?

Vinegar/Pepper sauced BBQ can be found ALL OVER South Carolina...especially in the coastal plains. It's not hard to find. If you want a mustard sauce, you can find better than the Bessinger recipe.

Raiders757
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 19
    RE: south carolina barbeque - cades S.C 2008/11/24 17:44:06 (permalink)
    Being from Eastern Virginia, I am going to have to look this bit of history up. We have always called it Eastern Carolina style.

I would like to add another two thumbs up fro the Scott's Sauce that was mentioned. That stuff is some darn good eats. It's a good basting sauce when smoking Pork loins. It helps to make a nice spicy bark around the loin.

We used to be able to buy a really good mustard based sauce at my local markets. It was fro a BBQ pit is S.C., and not a major brand. That was some really, really good stuff. It wa a sad day when I went out to get some, only to find it was no longer on the shelves anywhere.

Does anyone have a good home recipe for the S.C. style nustard BBQ sauce? Since I can't buy it anymore, it would be nice to make it myself.

Ort. Carlton.
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3589
    RE: south carolina barbeque - cades S.C 2008/11/24 19:06:31 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Raiders757
    ... We used to be able to buy a really good mustard based sauce at my local markets. It was from a BBQ pit is S.C., and not a major brand. That was some really, really good stuff. It wa a sad day when I went out to get some, only to find it was no longer on the shelves anywhere.

Raiders757,
    It's likely that the sauce was Maurice Bessinger's from Columbia, S. C. A significant number of stores withdrew his sauces because of his -- ahem -- unapologetically way-out-there-right-wing politics; it was offensive to quite a few people, even some conservatives. (While I could never agree with the man, if he wants to make a near-idiot of himself, well, it's a free country!) My local Bi-Lo store still had it in stock the last time I was there. This sauce is made with yellow mustard. Bi-Lo's generic Mustard Sauce is just as good if not superior.
    A far better mustard sauce comes from Shealy's BBQ in Batesburg/Leesville, S. C. It is darker and has more -- well -- character than does Maurice's. They have a website and will probably ship you a case. You might even want to mix and match with their fine vinegar sauce (not quite as good as Scott's, but of high quality nonetheless.). The real treat is driving to the town and eating at the place (it's right on U. S. 1; closed Sunday and Wednesday). You can buy their sauces at local food stores.
    Just remember, the baste is yet to come!
    Pig-pickingly (How I Wish!), On-'Que Ort. Carlton in Lovely, Frigid Athens, Georgia.
    thatgirl
    Junior Burger
    RE: south carolina barbeque - cades S.C 2010/07/27 14:47:10 (permalink)
    The hours for Brown's BBQ in Kingstree, SC is
    Mon Closed Tue Closed Wed 11am 9pm Thu 11am 9pm Fri 11am 9pm Sat 11am 9pm Sun Closed
    809 Williamsburg County Highway, Kingstree, SC 29556-7033(843) 382-2753

It is still some of the best BBQ today! and I've been here in Kingstree for almost 30 years.

"You must come here for some world-famous Brown's BBQ!!
    This mouthwatering BBQ is vinegar-based.
    Brown's also features a huge buffet of Southern cookin' for lunch or dinner."
    BBQ pork, bbq chicken and fried chicken, green beans, yams, chicken/sausage Pileau, bread,
    cornbread,banana pudding, hash or red  eye gravy, collards, okra, potato salad, salad bar.
    thatgirl
    Junior Burger
    Re:south carolina barbeque - cades S.C 2010/07/27 14:58:50 (permalink)
    Brown's BBQ is vinegar-pepper based..
    We still have Pig-Pickin' festival around October 16-18 every year..
    It was called Old Fashioned Days forever...and for 23 years at Thanksgiving we would go to my in laws for dinner. my brother-in-law ALWAYS cooked the hog!! OMGoodness..just doesn't get any better than that here in the South!
    hmorrison
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 1
    Re:south carolina barbeque - cades S.C 2011/06/02 22:39:02 (permalink)
    This made my night! I was thinking about ordering BBQ for my 40th birthday party, did a search for Brown's and found my own post from several years ago when I wasn't married - hence the name change. I am the original poster.

I felt a little disappointed in my original email because it didn't explain the sauce. Of course, that is because I really don't know EXACTLY what the ingredients are. What I can tell you is that it is not fussy - vinegar and pepper, whether red or black, and you are done. it is really about the process and the personal touch the chef offers.

I am sure there are other places that have nice vinegar based BBQ, but let's leave some room for artistry and give the South Carolina Pee Dee region (the area kept fertile by the big and little Pee Dee Rivers) it's due. For the record, I lived in Virginia for a couple of years and never heard anyone wax poetic about BBQ. Animal husbandry, hogs, and BBQ were a way of life to the very poor region of SC my mother came from.

I am calling Brown's on the morrow to order the best BBQ I can get commercially for my shindig. If only I was brazen enough to do it myself!
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1