southern fried chicken

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
doggydaddy
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1847
RE: southern fried chicken 2006/09/21 10:32:03 (permalink)

I have always tried to figure out what's in the Colonel's secret blend of herbs and spices. I forget the number that they claimed was added, but it seems like they mentioned something over 12. So I use what is in my spice rack and go for it with gusto. Among the ingredients are Old Bay, Bell's seasoning, paprika, thyme, black pepper, cayenne, cornmeal or instant oats, a touch of seasoned salt and more black pepper. Cornstarch helps make it crispy and I double dip the chicken in this mixture.
I figure that if I don't feel that there is enough flavor after cooking, that is when I will add some salt, hot sauce and honey to round out the flavor.
But I can be as lazy as the next person and wonder if there is a store bought mix that people here like to use?

My biggest problem is that I loose the temperature after placing very few pieces in the oil. It seems that I am constantly playing with the heat from my gas stove. I have a digital thermometer that shows that I go from 350 to 250 to 300, which is the temp that I am seeking.,
Due to space considerations, I have avoided a deep fat fryer, but I get pissy when I know that I am actually boiling the chicken in the oil as opposed to frying.

mark
Rusty246
  • Total Posts : 2414
RE: southern fried chicken 2006/09/21 11:04:46 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Rusty246

I fried chicken last night, bought a cut up for a change. I usually cut my own up as well. And, it had a PULLEY BONE! It was a Publix cut up bird. I just egg washed mine(have done buttermilk as well, daughter asks me not to do that cause it has a sour taste to her)anyway, then dredge in seasoned flour THEN heated up my cast iron skillet added my Crisco solid when it was about 350 I just fried it in small batches, made pan gravy, mashed taters, and some corn that I have already creamed this season. I've given up pretty much on making "hot" chicken though, nothing seems to have that great of an effect so I sprinkle cayenne on freshly removed pieces. Pretty darn good.

I'm getting the hang of making hot chicken afterall, sort of. I dropped the egg wash step. I wash the chicken, let drain mostly, then season with cayenne liberally, let sit for about 10 minutes THEN dredge into my seasoned flour that has salt, pepper and additional cayenne and fry. It's comin' around yes sirree!
Rusty246
  • Total Posts : 2414
RE: southern fried chicken 2006/09/21 11:05:54 (permalink)
quote:

quote:

I fried chicken last night, bought a cut up for a change. I usually cut my own up as well. And, it had a PULLEY BONE! It was a Publix cut up bird. I just egg washed mine(have done buttermilk as well, daughter asks me not to do that cause it has a sour taste to her)anyway, then dredge in seasoned flour THEN heated up my cast iron skillet added my Crisco solid when it was about 350 I just fried it in small batches, made pan gravy, mashed taters, and some corn that I have already creamed this season. I've given up pretty much on making "hot" chicken though, nothing seems to have that great of an effect so I sprinkle cayenne on freshly removed pieces. Pretty darn good.

I'm getting the hang of making hot chicken afterall, sort of. I dropped the egg wash step. I wash the chicken, let drain mostly, then season with cayenne liberally, let sit for about 10 minutes THEN dredge into my seasoned flour that has salt, pepper and additional cayenne and fry. It's comin' around yes sirree!

Oh and gotta make sure some of that cayenne goes UNDER the skin as well!
Relentless
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 150
RE: southern fried chicken 2006/11/06 23:48:42 (permalink)
Good Southern Fried chicken is just not that difficult. It is of course, pan-fried...and if you have never used one, you will be surprised how much of a difference a good cast iron skillet makes. I can't explain it, but it just doesn't come out the same in anything else.

About twice a month I buy 2-3 chickens, cut them up and fry the breast, legs and wings...rest goes into a pot with an onion, carrot, celery and bay leaf. Will become chicken and dumplings soon.

Sometimes I marinade the chicken for a couple of hours in milk, buttermilk or just water with a little salt in it...sometimes not. Breading is all purpose flour, well seasoned with salt & pepper, onion powder, garlic powder, paprika, cayenne....sometimes a little marjoram, thyme, oregano, basil etc. Whatever I am in the mood for and have on hand. Just use plenty of it.

The key is to only put 3/4" to 1" of oil in the cast iron skillet. When the pieces are placed in the hot oil, the oil should only come up about halfway on the chicken. Cook bone side down first over medium to medium high heat...not too hot. I give it about 10-12 minutes before turning...should be a nice golden brown. Turn and cook for the same time with the skin side down being careful not to burn the skin. Turn once more and give a few more minutes...should feel firm to the touch when done. Drain on paper bag. You now have 12-18 pieces of great fried chicken...eat what you want for dinner & put the rest in the fridge to enjoy cold over the next few days
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1