steak and shake

Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Author
dug
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 213
RE: steak and shake 2004/12/11 01:42:20 (permalink)
i have always enjoyed my visits to steak n shake[wish i had one in my hood].i have found the service to be freindly and the place clean and well kept.the food fresh and delish[i love those skinny fries]!the locations i visit are in the north west chicago area and the south suburban indianapolis area.
tiki
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4140
RE: steak and shake 2004/12/11 11:21:04 (permalink)
I tried S&S last yr on a road trip---sorry but--1.--the service was terrible--i waited 10 mins while the waitress was talking to friends and we sat waiting and watching staff doing nothing. @ the fries were boring---flavorless-skinny-crisp but no substance---3. the "Steak" tasted like commercial grade hamberger form in a factory. The bun was unmemorable and when i want to comment to a manger about the LONG wait for service it turned out that one of the "Kids" that was hanging ouit doing nothing while my waqitress talked to her friends instead of waiting ong customers WAS the manager---seemed to me that there was not ine single professional food service person involved in the place. I do check out chains that are new to me--esp. when i here folks that like them--but this was ione that once again told me---Find the Mom and Pop's!!!!
joanie41
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 401
RE: steak and shake 2005/01/04 19:26:27 (permalink)
We finally got to eat in a SnS while down in FL over Christmas. We had spent the day at Magic Kingdom (NOT a good experience...I'll be sending the folks at Disney an email with my two cents about their overpriced resort very soon) and stopped at a SnS in Orlando on the way home. It turned out to be the highlight of the day! The food was good, the service was excellent, the facility was very clean, AND they had a woman who was making balloon animals and painting faces there. She was excellent. My daughter got a very complex painting on her face, and both of the kids got really cute balloons. And I thought the steakburger was very good...juicy and probably swimming in fat, but yummy. The shakes were decent...not the best I've ever had, but satisfactory. We should have bagged Disney and just spent the day at SnS!
ZekeTheCat
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 128
RE: steak and shake 2005/01/04 20:24:08 (permalink)
I've eaten at SnS in many midwest states and have always got good burgers there. Sometimes the service is a little slow due to employee shortage but most of the time it's pretty good. I recently had my first Culver Butter Burger in Troy Ohio which was very good also - although I'd give the edge slightly to SnS for flavor and juiciness.
jeepguy
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1555
RE: steak and shake 2005/01/04 21:18:12 (permalink)
I have three Culver's and two Steak and Shakes within 15 miles of my home. For a steakburger (double, extra cheese, pickles, mustard and onion) to SnS i go- without question. As fas as burgers go, it's like comparing Krispy Kreme to Dunkin Donuts. Culver's has some good burgers but "nothing" like Steak and Shake- greasy or not. SnS is a Roadfood kinda place- Culver's ain't.
QFan
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 642
RE: steak and shake 2005/01/05 19:12:02 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by joanie41

We finally got to eat in a SnS while down in FL over Christmas. We had spent the day at Magic Kingdom (NOT a good experience...I'll be sending the folks at Disney an email with my two cents about their overpriced resort very soon) and stopped at a SnS in Orlando on the way home. It turned out to be the highlight of the day! The food was good, the service was excellent, the facility was very clean, AND they had a woman who was making balloon animals and painting faces there. She was excellent. My daughter got a very complex painting on her face, and both of the kids got really cute balloons. And I thought the steakburger was very good...juicy and probably swimming in fat, but yummy. The shakes were decent...not the best I've ever had, but satisfactory. We should have bagged Disney and just spent the day at SnS!

I got my introduction to S n S steakburgers as a kid growing up in Illinois. Then in college there was one open 24hrs right down the street from where I roomed. Think the chain fell on lean times for awhile, but have come back strong and expanded in recent yrs. Not everything they have is best in class, but it's still hard to beat a good S n S double steakburger w/ cheese for the great flavor, crispy edges and grease quotient. Thank the RF gods that one is opening up right near me in Naples so I can get my fix anytime I want.
QFan
Bonita Springs, FL
WaffleHouserules
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 353
RE: steak and shake 2005/01/22 19:00:24 (permalink)
ooooh i love steak and shake. I got one right by my house. Great steakburgers and mike shakes. I also enjoy eating their chicken tenders and french fries.
chezkatie
  • Total Posts : 1329
RE: steak and shake 2005/01/22 20:29:37 (permalink)
I went to a "Steak and Shake" for the first time in November as we left Daytona Beach and headed north for home. My son wanted to try it as one of his friends raved about it. We went in and this is what I observed:

Clean

Decent Service

Greasiest Burger I ever ate in my life

French fries were greasy but flavorless

The sweet tea was great

The milkshake was thick and ok

I would never go there again[|)][|)][|)]
jeepguy
RE: steak and shake 2005/01/23 04:38:22 (permalink)
Yeah,i guess Daytona would be a long drive- just to eat there again.
QFan
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 642
RE: steak and shake 2005/01/23 08:54:03 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by chezkatie

I went to a "Steak and Shake" for the first time in November as we left Daytona Beach and headed north for home. My son wanted to try it as one of his friends raved about it. We went in and this is what I observed:

Clean

Decent Service

Greasiest Burger I ever ate in my life

French fries were greasy but flavorless

The sweet tea was great

The milkshake was thick and ok

I would never go there again[|)][|)][|)]

I certainly wouldn't want to eat at S n S everyday, but for a good burger fix which is made from scratch and has distinctive flavor and style it's true to the RF concept. There's a lot to be said for "clean," "decent service," close to many major highways and cities, and open 24 hrs a day. Those things are not all that common in this day and age of heat lamp food and indifferent service. So although I respect your choice not to return there, ChezKatie, your summary review pegged a lot of things right about Steak n Shake.
QFan
Bonita Springs, FL
p.s. Are you an O's fan, being from Bal-mere and all?
jeepguy
RE: steak and shake 2005/01/23 12:25:07 (permalink)
Sounds like she's only eaten there once...
ladytenor
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 37
RE: steak and shake 2005/01/23 14:13:15 (permalink)
Like any chain, there are variations between individual stores depending on such things as who is managing the store, who is working that day, etc. I have been eating at Steak N Shakes in central and southern Indiana and Louisville KY for 30 years. It really isn't fair to judge the entire chain by a single restaurant or visit...or by a visit made 30 years ago.
For consistent good service and food, I have found the Steak n Shake in Columbus IN to be the best. Until recently I wouldn't have recommended the one in Seymour IN to anyone, but we ate there a few weeks ago and the quality had greatly improved..our waitress was not the best in the world, but another server "stepped up to the plate" and gave us fantastic service even though we weren't at his table (and we tipped him as well as our waitress). The one in Clarksville IN is one that the quality and service varies from visit to visit.

Since the steakburgers are formed from the ground meat by the person working the grill rather than being preformed patties, there will naturally be variations. I know some people prefer thicker fries, and if you are one of those, SnS's thin and crispy fries aren't for you. I usually either get a Steakburger platter or chicken fingers and fries with honey mustard sauce. Their shakes are very good, and if I want dessert I always get a strawberry sundae: creamy vanilla ice cream, sliced strawberries (not crushed strawberry syrup like some places),real whipped cream, sliced almonds and a cherry.
Even going to a mom and pop is no guarantee of quality or good sevice..I have seen the full spectrum from excellent to inedible at various mom and pop places.
iceomat
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 97
RE: steak and shake 2005/01/24 20:50:46 (permalink)
A S&S just opened near me in Edmond, OK. Haven't tried it yet, but it's on my short list. I hope they do well here, but they'll have to try extra hard since we have a Braum's or a Sonic on just about every corner in Oklahoma!
WaffleHouserules
Cheeseburger
RE: steak and shake 2005/02/21 14:39:09 (permalink)
I noticed you mentioned ssteak and shake under tennesee in your resturant category. I know theres some there, but a lot of the steak and shakes are in Indiana and Michigan.
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 18254
RE: steak and shake 2005/02/21 15:12:12 (permalink)
There are loads of them in Ohio.
Shane
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 51
RE: steak and shake 2005/02/21 16:08:23 (permalink)
I grew up in St. louis going to SnS back in the 70's when they were black and white (no zippy red in the color scheme). The one on Brentwood Blvd. and the one on Rockhill Rd. both had drive in service (like Sonic these days). I will always be partial to SnS as it was a huge part of my upbringing ( Dad used to take us and we would sit at the counter and feel very grown up!)
There is a Culvers near where I live now and the kids love it, but like the new style SnS, it's all too homeginized feeling. Even though the new SnS are all the same layout, I will always stop if it fits in the schedule. Not the best food but pretty good for a chain, and I always get to thinking about the old days!
Rusty246
  • Total Posts : 2413
RE: steak and shake 2005/02/21 16:17:29 (permalink)
We have two here in Gainesville, FL. At one location the food is actually cooked behind the counter for all to see. I like this location best. I'll sit at the counter and I can ask the person that is cooking my burger not to smash it flatter than a pancake.
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
RE: steak and shake 2005/02/21 16:18:13 (permalink)
For the life of me I cannot understand how folks here could possbly say nice things about Steak and Shake. It's been nothing less than terrible the times I went.
jeepguy
RE: steak and shake 2005/02/21 17:02:45 (permalink)
100 percent food snob... Get over yourself there tiger!
Tony Bad
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 5116
RE: steak and shake 2005/02/21 17:18:43 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Hoffman

For the life of me I cannot understand how folks here could possbly say nice things about Steak and Shake. It's been nothing less than terrible the times I went.

I ate at a couple in Indiana and the burgers were great, just ate at one in Florida, north of Daytona (probably the one referred to by someone earlier in thread) and it was horrible. I can see why one would feel this way if they had the experience I had in FL, but previously, the experience was fabulous!
tiki
Filet Mignon
RE: steak and shake 2005/02/21 17:20:36 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by jeepguy

Oh for heaven's sake--the man LOVES Wafflehouse!!!how could he be a food snob!!!??? I happen to agree with him---been to S&S twice now---both times i waited forever for service--once while the waitress for the section i was in talked with her boyfriend for 15 mins !!!! When i did get service the burgers were nothing sprcial and those skinny little french fries were tasteless--the staff --both times --were extrememly undertrained--not their fault really-when i did complain about having lousy service,the "Manager" was about 20 and no more trained or professional then the staff and he just stared at me like i was from space, Sorry,but to my mind there are way to many GOOD talent waitresses and restaraunt folks out there that have a little pride in their work to waste my time with amatuers that really dont care and for whom--"its just a job". I am not the biggest fan of chains in general but at least some of them TRAIN thier staff---like Wafflehouse---i may not like thier place but they are least trying! I found that both times i was in Steak and Shake---they didnt! So if that makes me and Mr Hoffman food snobs---so be it!
garykg6
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 358
RE: steak and shake 2005/02/21 17:34:50 (permalink)
ever the diplomat..I like S+S,we have one down the road and the burgers and ice cream drinks are pretty good,it's kept clean and most of the staff are all students I know...no complaints
Comparing them with WC,I can't really answer as,like a few others mentioned,I don't think I ever ate at WC when I was not somewhat 'full of strong drink',nor have I ever ate less than 8 of them....close by,we also have....krystals,a Chinese place THAT DELIVERS,a really good rib joint(named Alex's).....since I have just had hip surgery,I am perfectly located to indulge myself with moving an inch..............life is good,ain't it?
WaffleHouserules
Cheeseburger
RE: steak and shake 2005/02/21 19:53:07 (permalink)
Yea I remember seeing a bunch of them in ohio, espically in the cincinatti area.
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
RE: steak and shake 2005/02/21 20:26:14 (permalink)
quote:

Food snob? That's a joke. Each time I've ordered a "steakburger" in a Steak and Shake it has been dry, crispy, skinny and awful. The fries have needed the pepper stuff they put on the tables just to give them any taste at all.
Shane
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 51
RE: steak and shake 2005/02/21 21:22:59 (permalink)
While the SnS style burger may not appeal to everyone, it is very cool to go into what is essentialy a fast food place and get a real plate, glasses and silverware! I do think the quality is hit or miss since their 90's expansion effort.

The one my Dad took us to in St. Louis as a kid in the 70's was one he went to in high school in the 50's! All the wait staff were adults and the burgers seemed much better, but what do I know - I was just a punk kid...
Tony Bad
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 5116
RE: steak and shake 2005/02/22 08:52:51 (permalink)
quote:
Food snob? That's a joke. Each time I've ordered a "steakburger" in a Steak and Shake it has been dry, crispy, skinny and awful. The fries have needed the pepper stuff they put on the tables just to give them any taste at all.

Your description is a dead on description of the burger I had earlier this month in Florida. If this is the "new" S&S, then I am done with them. Prior experiences were much better. Sometimes expansion is a bad thing.
hatteras04
  • Total Posts : 1080
RE: steak and shake 2005/02/22 10:40:03 (permalink)
quote:

Are you kidding me? Michael may have some strange habits (not eating during football games leaps to mind). But a food snob? Forget it. And think about it, he didn't dismiss S&S as a chain or anything. He tried it THREE times before he declared it bad. That's two more times than most people would give a place they didn't really care for.

Myself, I think S&S burgers are ok (I usually get the double cheese with bacon) but I have to agree about the flavorless fries. I do, however, love their milkshakes. This is the one area that I like them better than Culver's hands down. The Culver's custard is ok in a sundae but the shake I got from there was not good at all.
tiki
Filet Mignon
RE: steak and shake 2005/02/22 11:04:00 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by hatteras04

quote:

Are you kidding me? Michael may have some strange habits (not eating during football games leaps to mind). But a food snob? Forget it. And think about it, he didn't dismiss S&S as a chain or anything. He tried it THREE times before he declared it bad. That's two more times than most people would give a place they didn't really care for.

Myself, I think S&S burgers are ok (I usually get the double cheese with bacon) but I have to agree about the flavorless fries. I do, however, love their milkshakes. This is the one area that I like them better than Culver's hands down. The Culver's custard is ok in a sundae but the shake I got from there was not good at all.

I WILL try the shakes! I didn't either time I was there and I do LOVE a good chocolate shake!!and it would nice to find a chain that had one when i cant find a Braum's!---and im not thrilled with their burgers and fries either--not in Oklahoma!!! WE GOT BEEF!
kland01s
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2835
RE: steak and shake 2005/02/22 13:29:55 (permalink)
Ok, all this fuss made me stop at my local one today to see what it is all about.....and was I sorry. The burger has no taste at all but then I don't do double bacon whatever, I just got a plain steakburger with mayo ( ok, I know ) and there was the tiniest speck of mayo. The fries are even worse. I'd rather go to my little local place that has tacos, burgers, gyros, you name it, but makes real burgers with killer hand cut fries.
gatorbreath
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 105
RE: steak and shake 2005/02/22 13:32:18 (permalink)
While reading all the previous posts I can empathize with nearly every one of them, be they negative or positive, The one location nearest my home which I most often frequent displays the characteristics of what was expressed in most of the posts. One guy working at that locarion was there when I first went there nearly 30 years ago. I don't consider him as under-trained and I know when I pull up and he is there I will get exactly what I expect. On the other hand, another recent stop at the same location found me waiting at the pick-up window for ten minutes until finally, someone came and asked me what I had ordered. I never get their fries for the reasons mentioned earlier plus they are way over priced. If the burger is too dry I never notice as I always get it topped with CMPO. Sometimes the wrapper is a little greasy and sometimes it isn't but it always tastes the same. I consider the Chili-mac, be it 3-way, 4-way, or my preferred 5-way as the best item on the menu.
In summary (can't believe I'm summarizing a post to a forum,) you pay your nickel and take your chance. Sometimes for your nickel you get a sweet pickle, sometimes you grt a sour pickle, and sometimes you get the guy who's been there 30 years and thus, exactly what you expected.
Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1