steak and shake

Page: < 123 Showing page 3 of 3
Author
Nemis
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 186
RE: steak and shake 2005/02/22 13:53:01 (permalink)
Mmmmm, Culver's does it for me, specifically the burgers .The sides need some work, I think they are kinda bland and I agree the shakes are nothing special. The service and the folks there couldn't be more friendly though and i think that's why i come back. Haven't tried any of the dinners or fried chicken...someday
chezkatie
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1329
RE: steak and shake 2005/02/22 14:00:20 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by jeepguy

100 percent food snob... Get over yourself there tiger!

This calling someone a "food snob" just because their opinion is different than yours is really sort of dumb. I certainly would never call you a "food snob" if you said you did not like one of the places that I really enjoy. Gee, it is wonderful that we are not all alike.....just too bad that we cannot disagree with someone else without them getting their underwear in a bind.
michaelgemmell
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 673
RE: steak and shake 2005/02/22 14:07:13 (permalink)
Many Roadfood readers are aware of my special affection for Steak 'n Shake as a taste from my childhood that I can still enjoy today. However, I have to agree with the opinion about the french fries. That's why I never order them! My favorite order is a double cheeseburger and Chili 3 Ways, what I have been ordering since the 1960s.

We're coming to a consensus that the locations far from the Illinois-Indiana-Missouri core are not as "accurate" as the more far-flung stores. I ate at a SnS in Richardson TX, and the bun was NOT from their central commissary. The entire meal, plus the service, was not what I expected from core stores, and I told the manager why I was upset. Now, if you're just convinced that SnS is not for you, that's fine, but if it, too, is a taste you remember and the store where you go doesn't uphold the standards, TELL THEM. They will get the idea. In the meantime, this is still a chain restaurant owned by a corporation, and it can slip into the "who cares, we're a chain" mode if we let it. DON'T!
Tony Bad
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 5116
RE: steak and shake 2005/02/22 14:07:55 (permalink)
quote:

This calling someone a "food snob" just because their opinion is different than yours is really sort of dumb. I certainly would never call you a "food snob" if you said you did not like one of the places that I really enjoy. Gee, it is wonderful that we are not all alike.....just too bad that we cannot disagree with someone else without them getting their underwear in a bind.

You know, some folks like snug underwear...you aren't one of those underwear snobs I have heard about...are you?
ces1948
  • Total Posts : 1512
RE: steak and shake 2005/02/22 14:15:00 (permalink)
These chains vary trememdously in quality from one location to another. We activly look for Steak and Shake whenever we travel for at least one meal. I've had a great affection for them since they had carhops on roller skates in Lakeland, Fl in the 60's. Recently we stopped at one just outside Nashville, Tn that was pretty bad. The buns were stale and crumbly and the burgers tasteless. I think it was the first time I've gotten a truly bad meal there.

Charlie
dreamzpainter
  • Total Posts : 1609
RE: steak and shake 2005/02/22 17:22:14 (permalink)
I've tried the local steakNshake a couple times, I wasn't thrilled with the food altough the service and the shakes are great, but then its a chain far removed from its beginnings. As for White Castle I have fond memories of sitting in the cramped store on rt130 in camden nj with my granddad the closest we can get around here is Krystals, its not a White Castle but you cant really complain about a sack full of belly bombs at 2am for five bucks
ScreamingChicken
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5210
RE: steak and shake 2005/02/22 17:54:11 (permalink)
quote:

Hmmm...based on the emoticons it seems to me that this might not've been a serious reply...but I could be wrong...or right...looks like it's open to interpretation...

(If I was Ort. Carlton I'd sign this "speculatively")

Brad
wanderingjew
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7956
RE: steak and shake 2005/02/22 18:17:59 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Brad_Olson

quote:

Hmmm...based on the emoticons it seems to me that this might not've been a serious reply...but I could be wrong...or right...looks like it's open to interpretation...

(If I was Ort. Carlton I'd sign this "speculatively")

Brad

Unfortunately if you don't agree with some one's opinion, especially about a chain, you are labeled a "food snob".
jeepguy
  • Total Posts : 1555
RE: steak and shake 2005/02/22 18:33:54 (permalink)
Sorry to offend. Around Chicago i think Steak N Shake is far superior to all other chains, even if it's a chain. I eat at chains and always will, but enjoy the locals as well. I've lived my entire life eating at franchises and if that's a bad thing so be it. I have a 30 minute lunch break, so sitting down in a comfy chair at a Mom and Pop doesn't seem to work so good for me. Anyway, sorry to freak everyone out>
Donna Douglass
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 508
RE: steak and shake 2005/02/22 18:55:50 (permalink)
We try to support all local businesses, whether they be locally owned or of the chain variety. To our minds, Steak and Shake provides tasty food at reasonable prices, their restaurants are clean and comfortable, and so far, we've had excellent service. There are two in our immediate vicinity, one brand new and the manager couldn't be more accomodating. The older one is every bit as friendly and clean as the newer one.

We enjoy their milkshakes, their steak sandwiches taste more like they've been cooked on an outdoor grill and we don't really care that they aren't three inches thick....they taste good to us. I really like their chili and to my mind, the Frisco Melt is to die for.

Beyond that, we love little out of the way places that are owned by Moms and Pops, who also do the cooking in a lot of them, and we enjoy their food a great deal also. As I've said before, there is good to be found in everything and everyplace, if we are open minded, fair, and patient.

The places that truly don't live up to their promise soon die on the vine, therefore my guess would be that the ones who survive are doing something right and pleasing enough of us that they are able to remain in business and prosper.

Just my humble opinion, for what it is worth.

Donna
michaelgemmell
Double Cheeseburger
RE: steak and shake 2005/02/23 14:38:18 (permalink)
Donna, every time I'm back in Chicago visiting my brother, we make a beeline for the Steak 'n Shake in Evanston, and he always orders that Frisco Melt. I'm sure it's very good, but as a San Francisco resident now, I just can't get past that name. There is NO SUCH PLACE as "Frisco" in California, the seamen who used that term notwithstanding. In 2001, when we ate at SnS for the second time one day, my partner, John, ordered chicken fingers, and I kept thinking, "But that wasn't on the menu when I was little!" Those waiters and waitresses in Evanston are all quite used to my brother and me. Perhaps I should ask him to request a "San Francisco Melt."

You've all read that SnS was the food for the sickies in my family while growing up. I have whatever intestinal disturbance is contagious, and, boy, could I use a Triple Cheeseburger right now, but SnS insists they can't see expanding all the way into CA. *Sigh.*
QFan
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 643
RE: steak and shake 2005/05/07 09:22:10 (permalink)
I grew up on Steak N Shake in Illinois, and have been known to extol their burgers on Roadfood.com on several occasions. Yesterday at lunch, however, I had the kind of experience at a nearby SNS that really woke me up to how bad it can be when absolutely everything goes wrong and you leave a place swearing to never come back.
I stopped at my nearby SNS for lunch just after the lunch time rush was over around 2:00 PM. Place wasn't busy and I was by myself. First off, all the waiters ignored me after I sat w/ my menu closed for several mins. Then I finally flagged one down who said he would take my order. Well, I ordered a double steak w/ cheese and I waited and waited and waited. Finally, I stopped the waiter mid-stride, asked him to check on my order and he did. It eventually arrived as a double burger w/ NO cheese. So I told him I had ordered it w/ cheese with which he walks up to the kitchen area and brings me out a COLD piece of cheese lying on a plate. I said that wasn't really what I was looking for, but that I didn't want to wait another half-hour for them to re-cook it, so I would go ahead and eat it. The whole thing was lukewarm as if it had been sitting out on the serving counter. And BTW I asked if he could bring me a couple of extra napkins--as SNS burgers are usually pretty drippy/messy. Well, that never happened either.
Finally, one of the manager types (w/ tie and bright shirt) came by and I told him of my lousy experience. He sort of apologized, but offered to do nothing to turn an unhappy customer (me) into a raving fan--no adjustment on the bill, no "well I will talk to your waiter," no nothing! So I paid, left no tip, and departed a very unhappy former SNS booster. If that had been my first and only visit to a Steak N Shake, I guarantee you I would never go back. Huge bummer all the way round!!!

QFan
Bonita Springs, FL
michaelgemmell
Double Cheeseburger
RE: steak and shake 2005/05/07 14:02:01 (permalink)
We've seen other posts talking about trouble at SnS in Florida. Keep complaining, Qfan, and consider going onto their website and writeing corporate HQ. They will soon clean up their act!
dreamzpainter
  • Total Posts : 1609
RE: steak and shake 2005/05/07 16:35:51 (permalink)
My experience at the SnS in jax was very close to Qfans, cold fries a couple overcooked pieces of horsehide between less then mediocore buns, a wait staff that was unresponsive, a request for xtra mayo to go on the wilted lettuce and tomatoe was finally provided with the bill @ $1.50 which was the final straw and led to an arguement at the counter (I refused to pay for it) they even had the audacity to say I didn't leave a tip!! I guess I should have left a penny...
michaelgemmell
Double Cheeseburger
RE: steak and shake 2005/05/08 13:03:43 (permalink)
Once again, I hope you will complain via their website to the HQ. My sister in Dallas tells me our timely and polite complaints made a world of improvement.
QFan
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 643
RE: steak and shake 2005/05/08 14:58:51 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by michaelgemmell

Once again, I hope you will complain via their website to the HQ. My sister in Dallas tells me our timely and polite complaints made a world of improvement.

I like SNS enough (fond memories) that I will take your advice. Thanks!

QFan
Bonita Springs, FL
Page: < 123 Showing page 3 of 3
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1