steak and shake

Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
Author
BBQ Barney
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 161
2003/05/20 21:22:42 (permalink)

steak and shake

let's have a lean non-greasy double steakburger---far superior to the run of the mill fast food and white castle type sandwiches.

75 Replies Related Threads

Bushie
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2902
    RE: steak and shake 2003/05/20 21:37:34 (permalink)
    Non-greasy Steakburger? Well, maybe not AS greasy. But don't you be dissin' our White Castles, BBQ. Down here in Texas, we hang men for lesser comments.
    BBQ Barney
    Cheeseburger
    RE: steak and shake 2003/05/21 20:55:30 (permalink)
    Bushie--

Unfair on my part to put down White Castle--had one 15 years ago and couldn't finish. But we don't get them in my state, so no real basis to compare. Still like Stak and Shake, which I can get!
    Bushie
    Filet Mignon
    RE: steak and shake 2003/05/21 22:32:57 (permalink)
    BBQ, they definitely are "belly bombs". I probably like them so much because I rarely get them anymore. I don't know for sure, but I don't think they're in Texas at all. We don't have a Steak n Shake near me either, and I absolutely LOVE a good Steakburger. Comparing the two is like apples and oranges, though. WC's cause definite love/hate emotions, but we've covered all that in another thread, so I won't belabor the point...

You really couldn't finish one White Castle??
    RubyRose
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2189
    RE: steak and shake 2003/05/21 22:41:54 (permalink)
    Oh, how I wish you could come to my village grocery store. They use a combination of well-marbled chuck, sirloin, round, and the ends of the rib steaks that are a big seller. They trim all the outside fat and all the gristle off and grind it at least once a day, usually more often. You can only buy one type of ground beef, made to the owner (and butcher)'s specifications - a mix that's lean but has an incredible flavor. At 6:30 P.M., any leftovers are shaped into quarter pound patties that are frozen in pack of 4.

Roadfoodies would love this store - it's not a butcher shop but a little whole grocery store with a butcher counter in the back and only one checkout. They don't have an express line but everybody always tells the people with just a couple of things to go ahead of them so it's OK.
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15175
    RE: steak and shake 2003/05/21 22:42:38 (permalink)
    For me the Steak and Shake sandwich is the Frisco Melt. I enjoy the grilled Sourdough.
    I do agree that it is unrealistic to compare S&S with White Castles....But it is really unfair to judge the quality of W C without eating about 10 of them at 4am , after a very bad night of pub crawling. That's when the full impact of their healing qualities will come thru.
    [|)][|)]
    Bushie
    Filet Mignon
    RE: steak and shake 2003/05/22 08:44:30 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Al-The Mayor-Bowen

...But it is really unfair to judge the quality of W C without eating about 10 of them at 4am , after a very bad night of pub crawling. That's when the full impact of their healing qualities will come thru.

Once again, the Mayor is right!

RubyRose, I wish I could visit your village grocery store. Those sound fabulous. Would you share the name of this store, so I can put it in my book of "Things to Do and Places to Visit When I Win the Lottery and Spend the Rest of My Life Traveling the Backroads of America"?
    EliseT
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2876
    RE: steak and shake 2003/05/22 23:50:11 (permalink)
    For a great Steakburger on the West coast, check out the Apple Pan in West LA...an institution. Plus, the guys who packs TO GO orders just throws the paper bags in the air and they magically land open and waiting to be packed.
    RubyRose
    • Total Posts : 2189
    RE: steak and shake 2003/05/23 07:14:37 (permalink)
    Bushie, it's called Werley's Store and is in Guthsville PA but by the time you win the lottery, it will probably be a Mini-Mart and gas station.
    BBQ Barney
    Cheeseburger
    RE: steak and shake 2003/05/23 21:12:32 (permalink)
    Bushie---it's true, neither my wife or I could finish the one White Castle we each tried 15 years ago--we probably had more refined palates then!
    Bushie
    Filet Mignon
    RE: steak and shake 2003/05/27 09:30:24 (permalink)
    RubyRose - Actually, by the time I win the lottery, dinosaurs will rule the earth again. I'm writing down Werley's, though, just in case. Thanks!

BBQ, it could be your "technique" was wrong. I usually don't start chewing until the 3rd one is down my throat.

Another thing I love about Steak n Shake is the CHILI! Sometimes I'll just get a bowl, but a Double Steakburger Platter, with fries and a cup of chili as sides, is what I call a "balanced meal"!

EliseT - Thanks for the tip about the Apple Pan!
    Craig328
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 89
    RE: steak and shake 2003/05/30 21:16:02 (permalink)
    Personally I would kill to have a White Castle nearby. I'm originally from central NJ now in Florida and nothing comes close. Frozen burgers forget it and the best I can find is a poor imitation at the Ale House in Palm Beach Gardens, FL. A business partner went through the entire White Castle franchise screening process but sadly they won't do the Southeastern US.
    carlton pierre
    • Total Posts : 2500
    RE: steak and shake 2004/11/18 22:55:20 (permalink)
    Steak & Shake are probably my favorite fast food burger. IMO they taste homemade. However, I do they think the only thing they & White Castle have in common is they are rather greasy. Maybe that's why I like them.
    michaelgemmell
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 673
    RE: steak and shake 2004/11/19 13:40:05 (permalink)
    Take a look at their website history page:

http://www.steaknshake.com/history.asp

My home town of Galesburg IL had the first Steak 'n Shake outside the Bloomington/Normal IL area. When we were little and expressed lack of appetite due to illness, Mom would send Dad to Steak 'n Shake for cheeseburgers and root beer for the sickie. THAT alwasy got eaten!

I travel a long way for a Steak 'n Shake meal nowadays. Sometimes the first place I find one traveling east from California is in Joplin MO, and I always want a double cheeseburger and Chili 3 Ways. What amazes me is that even with the additional menu items the core menu items taste exactly like what I remember as a child. It means a great deal to me that I can still go and have exactly the same tasty items as in the 1950s. I Can't Go Home Again, but I CAN go to Steak 'n Shake.
    cindyloo
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 123
    RE: steak and shake 2004/11/19 13:47:44 (permalink)
    You know, I can't say I've ever actually eaten a burger from Steak and Shake. We have one here locally, but somehow I can't get past Culvers to get there. : )

My 8 year old son has become a huge fan of burgers, so that might be our Friday night treat tonight. Thank goodness he's getting past the stage of wanting to go to fast food places just for the toy.

Cindy
    chicagostyledog
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3278
    RE: steak and shake 2004/11/19 16:20:16 (permalink)
    I've always liked Steak & Shake cheeseburgers. They make a good chocolate malt and orange freeze too. Unfortunately, every Steak & Shake that's opened in northern Illinois and southeastern Wisconsin has gone out of business. They're not cheap compared to the competition. S&S's most recent store in Racine, WI closed after Culver's opened up two blocks away.
    michaelgemmell
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: steak and shake 2004/11/20 13:43:13 (permalink)
    I ate once at a Culver's (brand new) in Michigan City IN this August, and I was not impressed.

There's a Steak 'n Shake in Evanston IL at the edge of the Home Depot parking lot at... is that Oakton, just east of the Sanitary Canal?
    jlobough
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 94
    RE: steak and shake 2004/11/20 15:30:15 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by michaelgemmell

I ate once at a Culver's (brand new) in Michigan City IN this August, and I was not impressed.

There's a Steak 'n Shake in Evanston IL at the edge of the Home Depot parking lot at... is that Oakton, just east of the Sanitary Canal?

Michael,

You are correct about the location of the Evanston Steak 'n Shake (which is just down the road from where I live).

Figuring that I have Steak 'n Shake, White Castle, and Culvers all within driving distance (albeit, the Culver's in Buffalo Grove is a somewhat longer trip), I'm wondering why I don't weigh 400 pounds (probably because I hit those places infrequently).

It's nice to know they are there though, considering all the late nights I work. Steak 'n Shake especially.
    Poverty Pete
    • Total Posts : 2293
    RE: steak and shake 2004/11/20 16:35:04 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by cindyloo

You know, I can't say I've ever actually eaten a burger from Steak and Shake. We have one here locally, but somehow I can't get past Culvers to get there. : )

My 8 year old son has become a huge fan of burgers, so that might be our Friday night treat tonight. Thank goodness he's getting past the stage of wanting to go to fast food places just for the toy.

Cindy

If there were a Culver's nearby, I'd not go to S&S, either. Sometimes I miss living in Wisconsin.
    michaelgemmell
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: steak and shake 2004/11/21 16:37:31 (permalink)
    My Culver's experience was just that one time, and it seemed like ordinary fast food to me, coming in paper on a tray from the counter instead of by table service, albeit with a more expansive menu. I just don't see it as being anything close to Steak 'n Shake, but maybe it was THAT location THAT night. Would you care to tell me more? Culver's is expanding rapidly, so I bet I will see it again on my travels. Please let me benefit from your experiences. Thanks!
    Jim Ross
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 314
    RE: steak and shake 2004/11/22 09:58:04 (permalink)
    I think Culver's is OK, but nothing that special. I much prefer Steak & Shake burgers. My wife and family however love Culvers. I think they are both good, it just boils down to individual preference. There is one thing at Culver's I will go out of my way for. Everyone should have their Pumpkin shake at least once. It is a frozen custard version of the best pumpkin pie you ever had. My wife loves them and she doesn't even like pumpkin pie.
    tsores
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 655
    RE: steak and shake 2004/11/22 10:57:07 (permalink)
    Steak n Shake is my favorite fast food burger. The burger tastes like it was made on site and not in some factory a thousand miles away and last month.

Lets not forget about those shakes. I prefer the chocolate malt. Just another good reason to visit S 'n S.
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: steak and shake 2004/11/22 11:45:02 (permalink)

I think I'd give the edge to Culver's if a two way choice had to be made. Mainly due to the ability to choose the size of the burger being selected..single-double-or Jumbo.
    Some other comparisons that might appeal to some members.

1. S/S- order from table, food delivered to table, Culvers-order at counter, food delivered to table.

2. French Fries- S/S thin-cut (shoestring), Culvers-Thick crinkle cut.

3. Food prep- S/S within sight of public, Culvers- out of sight as is most fast foods.

Since I don't vary much from the 'Burger-related dishes at either place, I place the weight (no pun) on those items and Culver's comes up on top locally. I do however like the Frisco Melt at S/S.
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18255
    RE: steak and shake 2004/11/22 11:58:56 (permalink)
    I have now had a grand total of three hamburgers at Steak and Shake. After the first one I swore I'd never have another. It was dry, tasteless and tiny. But, after reading how much so many people here liked them I tried one more time. It was dry, tasteless and tiny. Still, I decided to give Steak and Shake one more try. It was dry, tasteless, and after one bite, the size didn't matter. I was done.
    Hastyman
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 83
    RE: steak and shake 2004/11/22 12:09:24 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by chicagostyledog

I've always liked Steak & Shake cheeseburgers. They make a good chocolate malt and orange freeze too. Unfortunately, every Steak & Shake that's opened in northern Illinois and southeastern Wisconsin has gone out of business. They're not cheap compared to the competition. S&S's most recent store in Racine, WI closed after Culver's opened up two blocks away.

The S&S in Madison had horrible service. The food was OK, if you ever got any.
    chicagostyledog
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3278
    RE: steak and shake 2004/11/22 17:58:06 (permalink)
    Hastyman,

If you want five star juicy cheeseburgers, try Kewpee's in Racine or the Spot Drive-In in Kenosha. Both have been around for over 50 years; good service, excellent food, great chocolate malts, and reasonable prices. I eat their double cheeseburgers for breakfast on my morning commute to work at 7:00am. How can anyone resist an fresh hand patted burger covered with cheese on a bakery fresh bun?
    www.kewpee.com
    olphart
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 289
    RE: steak and shake 2004/11/22 19:19:42 (permalink)
    Steak n Shake opened in Houston in the late 70s to great hoopla. I went there for lunch with some coworkers. As I recall, I got a hamburger and fries. What I got were tasteless brown sticks and two halves of a bun with a gray, pasty looking greasy slab of unknown contents inbetween.

It may or may not have had mayo on it, but nothing else came with the meal. I asked the waitress and she told me that tomato, lettuce and pickles were available at additional cost.

Now, they may get away with that up North (as I had discovered a few years earlier). But in Texas, the fixin’s always came with the burger.
    jeepguy
    • Total Posts : 1555
    RE: steak and shake 2004/11/22 20:41:26 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Michael Hoffman

I have now had a grand total of three hamburgers at Steak and Shake. After the first one I swore I'd never have another. It was dry, tasteless and tiny. But, after reading how much so many people here liked them I tried one more time. It was dry, tasteless and tiny. Still, I decided to give Steak and Shake one more try. It was dry, tasteless, and after one bite, the size didn't matter. I was done.
    A single steakburger at Steak and Shake is for an eight year old [|)] LOL! Get a double with extra cheese, onions, pickles and mustard. I promise it won't be dry! Get a Frisco Melt, it won't be dry." /> These are by far the finest FF burgers we have in the Chicago area, hands down. Culver's > overated big time in the burger dept.
    BBQ Barney
    Cheeseburger
    RE: steak and shake 2004/11/22 21:03:27 (permalink)
    Mayor--I'm confused. You prefer Culver's due to the choice of sandwich size, yet SNS offered singles, doubles and triples before Culver's was born. What am I missing?
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: steak and shake 2004/11/22 23:35:30 (permalink)
    Barney,
    I am 9 miles from a Culvers and 20 miles from the S/S. I do like Steak and Shake...never had a bad burger there. But I like Culvers a bit better. Strictly a subjective view that could change at any time. Sandwich size is a contributing factor, but only that...one out of many things that contribute to the decision making. S/S is east of us, closer to Louisville...Culvers is the opposite direction-WEST in Corydon (Next to WalMart and within a mile of Janet's workplace). So many things tend to point me in one direction over another. I try not to make selecting a lunch sandwich a major decision each day!!
    Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1