steaks

Author
jellybear
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1135
2004/04/29 09:42:50 (permalink)

steaks

At my restaurant I usally marinate them in a mixture of low sodium soy sauce,lots of black pepper and kosher salt.The soy makes them really juicy.And it gives them a nice color.Do the sme to the Prime Rib.

15 Replies Related Threads

carlton pierre
    • Total Posts : 2500
    RE: steaks 2004/10/30 08:16:50 (permalink)
    I'm assuming the above post is referring to how jellybear prepares his steaks for cooking. I'm curious, do most of you marinate steaks prior to cooking, or just cook with seasonings?
    I personally have done both, not sure that I have a preference, but I tend to think marinating generally makes for a juicier steak.

carl reitz
    wheregreggeats.com
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4615
    RE: steaks 2004/10/30 09:57:46 (permalink)
    The better the steak, the less it needs.

I don't eat that much red meat. I love the flavor of the meat and generally cook or order it to be charred (not burned) on the outside an very rare on the inside.

When all the mad cow stuff was in the news our local market started carrying one of the all natural brands of beef. I started getting steaks from them and have been very happy.

I have a restaurant range at home and find the best results are to cook them on the griddle (very hot) ... I am always trying something different and have been letting the steaks spend a little time soaking in Annie's Organic, vinegar free dressing and have been happy. Just a little salt and pepper would be okay too.

My favorite steak in the US, The Watering Hole in Sebring, Florida must use real high quality meat and serves with a garlic and butter sauce -- what I don't understand there is that the inside of the steaks they serve tastes buttery. How'd they do that?
    Grampy
    • Total Posts : 1559
    RE: steaks 2004/10/30 10:56:08 (permalink)
    It depends on the steak. Generally, the only cuts I marinate are flank, skirt, and hanger. I contemplated marinating a hanger steak, Mexican-style, for fajitas yesterday, but I opted to pan-fry it, French-style, for onglet with a shallot red-wine reduction. Except for a little olive oil and garlic, I would never marinate strip, rib eye, and such.
    RVlifestyle
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 31
    RE: steaks 2004/10/30 11:49:49 (permalink)
    Sometimes we marinate...sometimes we don't. My favorite marinade is a homemade concoction made with white wine and italian seasonings.

I'm curious about Greg's "Watering Hole"? We will be moving to Sebring/Avon Park in about a month and am looking forward to trying this place. Is it on Hwy 27?
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15307
    RE: steaks 2004/10/30 12:03:48 (permalink)
    Unless it is one of the cheaper and tougher cuts of meat, I prefer not to season or soak the steak at all before cooking. To me the flavor of the meat should stand alone. I do Salt and pepper it to taste after cooking.
    Soaking for any length of time does alter the flavor considerably, that's not a good thing when you are working with a nice Porterhouse or other good cut.
    For a Steak like a thick London Rroil (Round) or Sirloin (Bottom) a marinade can help soften those tougher muscles. Soy will work , but I 'temper' it with a citrus like O J or similiar juice to reduce the innate saltiness of the marinade.
    The quality of the original steak dictates how to treat it best. I really DO NOT like the crusted Pepper coating that is broiled onto the surface of some good meat at many Steak Houses. It destroys the meat-flavor and ruins any hopes I have for getting a real BEEF taste.
    chezkatie
    • Total Posts : 1329
    RE: steaks 2004/10/30 12:13:48 (permalink)
    We always put our steaks in a ziplock bag with olive oil on them. An Italian butcher once told me to do this and the results on the grill are great.
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18700
    RE: steaks 2004/10/30 15:48:12 (permalink)
    I marinate flank steaks, and the occasional strip. I rub them with chopped garlic, cracked black pepper, cumin and ancho chili powder, then place them in a Ziploc with olive oil and wine.
    Tony Bad
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 5116
    RE: steaks 2004/10/30 16:31:26 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by wheregreggeats.com

The better the steak, the less it needs.

I like a nice steak from the Florence Meat Market in NYC...a shake of salt and pepper...no ketchup.With meat this good, nothing else is needed.
    wheregreggeats.com
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4615
    RE: steaks 2004/10/30 18:25:53 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by RVlifestyle

I'm curious about Greg's "Watering Hole"? We will be moving to Sebring/Avon Park in about a month and am looking forward to trying this place. Is it on Hwy 27?

The Watering Hole for years was just that -- a gin joint from what I can tell. Then something happened and they satrted doing steak ... and they really do it well. I think they know how to buy the best, how to cook it and how to present it. It is somewhat heavy on the garlic and butter -- but it would be hard to argue with the 800 or so other patron who wait on line for as much as an hour and a half (especially on the weekends) that there is anything wrong with that. People don't come for the decor or the wine list ... they come for the food.

The place is closed Sunday and Monday. They take no reservations. They have an aligator in a cage in the main dining area. They take no credit cards. And it it the first stop any of on the racing circuit make when we get into town.

I get the Cowboy Filet Mignon for maybe $17 or $18 bucks (they serve it with succulent baby potatos in butter, a fruit salad and a banana.) I can almost taste it now. Sadly I'm 2,800 miles away in Seattle.

BTW: Congrats on moving to Sebring. I've been coming to town since 1992 and have made many friends and met their friends and their friends friends -- and I can tell you the people in Sebring are among my favorites anyplace. I always look forward to going there.

It is on 27 kind of south of everything else. It used to be easier to spot before the hurricane blew away the neon aligator out front. Enjoy.
    RVlifestyle
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 31
    RE: steaks 2004/10/30 21:16:30 (permalink)
    Thanks Greg! We should be in Sebring through the Spring and I'm looking forward to it. I think I remember seeing the "Live Alligator" sign. Any other recommendations for Sebring area would be greatly appreciated....e-mail if you want to keep this thread on topic.....Thanks again!!
    howard8
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 355
    RE: steaks 2004/11/01 14:08:13 (permalink)
    I tend to marinate some cuts most of the time, like hanger,and skirt.
    I agree that a quality cut and quality steak is, for my taste best left
    untouched except for s&p and maybe a little butter slathered on top.
    Lately I have been getting cuts of steak from our local supermarket at a great price such as boneless rib eye for 3.99lb. and strip steaks at 2.99lb. The problem is they are fresh, from New Zealand and do not have much if any marbleing. I am a sucker for a good deal but found the result, dry and tasteless, until. I began marinating overnight in the fridge a combo of vegetable oil, light soy, garlic, ginger, tamari and a couple of dashes of sesame oil.
    Light my fire baby. The formerly dry tasteless cuts were tender, tasty and juicy.
    Nemis
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 186
    RE: steaks 2004/11/01 15:06:29 (permalink)
    We love to grill Ribeyes!! Nothing too fancy just some Montreal steak seasoning and l love that Tabasco A1 sauce.
    If i go out for a good steak it's usually J Gilberts Wood Fire Grill or Hyde Park, love to have filets with blu cheese and bernaise sauce.
    If are grilling a flank steak i usually marinate it in a soy/oyster sauce, ginger combo

mistertawny
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 49
    RE: steaks 2004/11/03 10:38:35 (permalink)
    Although a marinade isn't technically necessary, it can help even the best cuts of beef. If you want melt in your mouth consistency about 45 minutes before grilling, put your meat in a bag with about 3/4 cup orange juice, or any other citrus. While it will NOT flavor the meat much (if at all), it will break down connective tissues in the meat. Leaving you without the "stringy" bits usually attached to the bone. FOr those of you wondering why this is..... Citric acid, is still an acid.

Our family friend (a REAL cordon bleu chef who was the head chef at Maxim's)taught me this years ago. It seems the more I cook the more I find that good taste is just basic chemistry.
    cleveland66
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 129
    RE: steaks 2004/11/03 11:31:00 (permalink)
    I subscribe to the olive oil, salt, and pepper theory of steak marinade/seasoning. I tend towards the porterhouse, or t-bone when I buy steak. Something primal about it, I suppose. That & I can use the bones when making stock...
    UncleVic
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6025
    RE: steaks 2004/11/03 11:42:55 (permalink)
    I normally buy a "top shelf" Porterhouse and find no need for any marinade. Cook it medium rare and the juices just flow out of it on the plate! But ya, cheaper cuts of meat, I've used everything from Ranch dressing with garlic, or Olive oil, lime juice, fresh crushed garlic... To just plain ol Tomato Juice or Sauce...
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1