stopping the crazy ads

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
Ashphalt
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1644
RE: stopping the crazy ads 2007/02/23 10:23:14 (permalink)
One of the computers I use is relatively ancient and I really enjoy it when the pop-up ads make IE 7 freeze and shut down.
lleechef
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7317
RE: stopping the crazy ads 2007/02/23 10:59:36 (permalink)
I don't mind the ads. I just ignore them.

And yes, the Roadfood team has done one heck of a good job with this site!
David_NYC
  • Total Posts : 2165
RE: stopping the crazy ads 2007/02/23 13:27:37 (permalink)
What gets my goat are the OUTRIGHT FRAUDULENT ads that Google Syndication places not only on this web site but on many other web sites as well. Chief among these are those ads meant to look like popup error messages from the operating system or application program, paid for by rogue software companies. Though they are toned down a bit from a few years ago, I got one this morning on roadfood.com that said something like "Attention: input data missing, click to continue". Lets forget all the lawyering these companies will come back with, they have no way to know my computer has a problem. I update my software with the latest security fixes. They are merely trying to get you to buy some utility software program.

Some of the ads are misleading-by-accident. I got one while on the Shakey's Pizza thread. I took a screen shot of this one. The ad read:
"Shakey's Pizza
Order Online For Hot & Fast Pizza
Delivery Straight To Your Door"
Well, I knew this was computer-assembled stupidity, so I clicked on the hyperlink. It brought me to the Domino's website to order a Domino's pizza online. Another ad paid for by ebay read:
"Shakey's Pizza
Looking for Shakey's Pizza? Find exactly
what you want today"
I wonder what ebay ad would read if I started a thread entitled "Free Prostitutes". Would ebay advertise: "Looking for Free Prostitutes, Find exactly what you want today!"?

In fairness to Google, I have found some content related ads that alerted me to businesses I did not know existed and that sold exactly what I was looking for. I have no problem with legitimate ads.
David_NYC
  • Total Posts : 2165
RE: stopping the crazy ads 2007/02/24 12:26:11 (permalink)
OK, I was able to get a screen capture of that fraudulent ad. Here is the exact wording:
In the title bar it reads:
Survey Alert
The rest reads:
Missing Data...Your input required, click OK to continue.
There is an OK button, but I think if you click on any part of the ad, it will redirect you to the advertiser's site.

Note this is toned down from previous versions of such ads, which would use titles such as "Security Alert". Now, they just put in a lot of meaningless babble. No doubt they have professional apologists to defend the wording of that ad.
ChiTownDiner
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3010
RE: stopping the crazy ads 2007/02/24 12:56:11 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by wheregreggeats.com

I wonder if anyone complains to the bus driver because there is an ad on the side of the bus?

Do you not watch American Idol because of the GEICO ad?

Do you not BUY (pay for) the newspaper because they print ads on every page?

. ...

And Under Armour just completed a deal to advertise in the middle of the ivy walls at Wrigley Field.
V960
  • Total Posts : 2429
RE: stopping the crazy ads 2007/03/08 09:39:19 (permalink)
The latest ad for Catwoman (terrible movie, I could only stand to watch it ten times and still don't have a clue if it had a plot) is one I DON'T ignore.
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1