The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider

stopping the crazy ads

Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 30 of 36
V960

• Total Posts: 2429
stopping the crazy ads Mon, 02/19/07 4:34 PM (permalink)
I know they are needed but they slow things down so much and adverise stuff unwanted (by me anyway, I have enough degrees and from REAL places) I just want to know how to rid myself of "select the degree you want".

wheregreggeats.com

RE: stopping the crazy ads Mon, 02/19/07 5:12 PM (permalink)
    I have seen many people griping about the ads and I want to pipe in and say to Stephen et al. That I think it is a a phenomenal feat to keep this site up and running for all -- those who invest as "insider" members or not.

We are all exposed to hundreds of ad messages everyday ...

RF is the best package on the Internet.

Thanks to all who make it happen.

Sundancer7

RE: stopping the crazy ads Mon, 02/19/07 5:19 PM (permalink)
      quote:
      Originally posted by wheregreggeats.com

I have seen many people griping about the ads and I want to pipe in and say to Stephen et al. That I think it is a a phenomenal feat to keep this site up and running for all -- those who invest as "insider" members or not.

We are all exposed to hundreds of ad messages everyday ...

RF is the best package on the Internet.

Thanks to all who make it happen.

AMEN and thanks for saying. This is a free site and probably the best bargain forum in existence although I enjoy other sites such as www.edmunds.com which is a auto site. I certainly appreciate the efforts of the Sterns.

Paul E. Smith
      Knoxville, TN

Greymo

• Total Posts: 3667
        RE: stopping the crazy ads Mon, 02/19/07 5:36 PM (permalink)
        Not many of us are "insiders" so we should not complain. If everyone paid the insider fee each year, maybe we would not have the ads. So all of us "free-loaders" have nothing to complain about.

RubyRose

• Total Posts: 2187
          RE: stopping the crazy ads Mon, 02/19/07 5:52 PM (permalink)
          quote:
          Originally posted by V960

I know they are needed but they slow things down so much and adverise stuff unwanted (by me anyway, I have enough degrees and from REAL places) I just want to know how to rid myself of "select the degree you want".

Scroll down.

Stephen Rushmore Jr.

RE: stopping the crazy ads Mon, 02/19/07 6:39 PM (permalink)
            I need to let you all know that I am not standing here silently about the advertising situation. Roadfood.com is a quality site and I am experimenting with various ad agencies to find the right fit for you. Unfortunately, a side effect of this are the crappy ads that make us all cringe. It's going to take a few months to sort everything out, and I appreciate your feedback. Please note, I have the ability to ban any advertiser so send me an email if you find something inappropriate.

I like people's suggestions about creating an ad-free forum site for a small cost. Perhaps I should create a lower cost ad-free subscription service like the Roadfood Insider.

For those who like to know the economics of the site, we make more money on the Roadfood Insider than ads because we have to split 55% of the ad revenue with agencies. With that in mind, we always appreciate your support through the Roadfood Insider because 95% of the revenue goes directly towards our costs (PayPal takes the other 5% ).

Sundancer7

RE: stopping the crazy ads Mon, 02/19/07 6:44 PM (permalink)
              Stephen, thanks for the insight. There is nothing for free.

Paul E. Smith
              Knoxville, TN

redtressed

• Total Posts: 1017
                RE: stopping the crazy ads Mon, 02/19/07 7:08 PM (permalink)
                Something else to consider about the annoyance of the ads.

When a site such as Roadfood, allows the posting of pictures , the need for more bandwidth multiplies exponentially. There has been a great increase in the posting of photos over the past few months, thus the the great need for more bandwidth. Additional bandwidth does cost the bucks. A site of this size and freedoms would cost a pretty penny. I'm not saying to cut the photography, but consider that sometimes you have to bend a little on something like the ads in order for the ability to post pics and enjoy them. Another recommendation I have for those who are submitting pictures is to obtain a photo resizing program that that reduce the file size of your submissions with very little loss of quality and great ease. There are many programs out there such as s-spline pro that will cost you, but a very good one that costs you nothing is this one:
                http://www.mihov.com/eng/ir.html These resizers are also great to enlarge pictures to enhance smaller photos. The smaller file sizes with the same physical picture size, will much improve the length of time for opening pages for everyone. Hope this helps y'all a bit.

xannie_01

• Total Posts: 1481
                  RE: stopping the crazy ads Mon, 02/19/07 7:30 PM (permalink)
                  yet another reason i stopped posting pictures.

ann peeples

• Total Posts: 8317
                    RE: stopping the crazy ads Mon, 02/19/07 7:35 PM (permalink)
                    I frankly dont even notice the ads....oh-i just saw one for google..thank God they are not pop-ups..

UncleVic

• Total Posts: 6025
                      • Roadfood Insider
                      RE: stopping the crazy ads Mon, 02/19/07 7:46 PM (permalink)
                      Actually most the pictures are external (unless an insider posts one), so there would be no excessive bandwith use (Photobucket, Flickr, etc are the ones crying about that one)..

kland01s

• Total Posts: 2835
                        RE: stopping the crazy ads Tue, 02/20/07 6:47 AM (permalink)
                        quote:
                        Originally posted by xannie_01

yet another reason i stopped posting pictures.

Please don't stop! Your photos have been great and enjoyed!

V960

RE: stopping the crazy ads Tue, 02/20/07 10:47 AM (permalink)
                          I don't mind the ads...really. This "choose your degree" one slows down everthing. I have the fastest DSL available to me (OK I live in the sticks but I'm watching my chickens right now outside my office window) and this ad makes multitasking a requirement.

dholk

• Total Posts: 107
                            RE: stopping the crazy ads Tue, 02/20/07 11:07 AM (permalink)
                            V960,

I don't know if you've tried the Firefox web browser, but I'd recommend it if you haven't. You can get plug-ins for it that might help you. Try googling "firefox adblock plus"

Dave

dholk

• Total Posts: 107
                              RE: stopping the crazy ads Tue, 02/20/07 11:12 AM (permalink)
                              Important PS -

I don't mind the ads and I usually click them just for the sake of clicking them on community sites that I enjoy like Roadfood because more clicks usually means more money.

Dave

pdxyyz

• Total Posts: 411
                                RE: stopping the crazy ads Tue, 02/20/07 11:39 AM (permalink)
                                No need to buy software to resize photos, at least if you are downsizing to reduce bandwidth.

Just use the Windows Paint utility that comes with your computer.

Open the picture in question and use the Image>Stretch Skew function from the menu bar.

Use the stretch function and enter a smaller percentage for horizontal and vertical. Save the file and use it for posting.

Works great with reducing size, not so great when enlarging.

Matt Gleason

• Total Posts: 689
                                  RE: stopping the crazy ads Tue, 02/20/07 12:53 PM (permalink)
                                  Does Snitz Forums have an Ad Free Version?

Another example is VBulletin forum database software. See www.lawnsite.com as an example.

SassyGritsAL

• Total Posts: 1089
                                    RE: stopping the crazy ads Tue, 02/20/07 1:44 PM (permalink)
                                    The ads don't bother me. I don't have to click on them unless I want to. If they help keeping Roadfood here, then I'm all for them. I sure would hate to miss Roadfood as it is one of my favorite places to visit on the Web.

signman

• Total Posts: 1743
                                      RE: stopping the crazy ads Tue, 02/20/07 2:11 PM (permalink)
                                      Stephen, All I know is that the Roadfood boards are the most user friendly of any other I've experienced on the web. I don't know if your team developed them or not, but if they are yours, I'd love to see you sell this technology to other sites, where reading and posting is absolutely painful.

dreamzpainter

• Total Posts: 1609
                                        RE: stopping the crazy ads Tue, 02/20/07 3:40 PM (permalink)
                                        I don't notice the ad's but then I don't have dialup any longer

wheregreggeats.com

RE: stopping the crazy ads Tue, 02/20/07 6:47 PM (permalink)
                                          I wonder if anyone complains to the bus driver because there is an ad on the side of the bus?

Do you not watch American Idol because of the GEICO ad?

Do you not BUY (pay for) the newspaper because they print ads on every page?

. ...

Jennifer_4

• Total Posts: 1508
                                            RE: stopping the crazy ads Tue, 02/20/07 7:03 PM (permalink)
                                            I don't notice the ads as much as the 2 emails this week I've gotten from someone using roadfood as a Nigerian email scam base...

Hillbilly

• Total Posts: 992
                                              RE: stopping the crazy ads Tue, 02/20/07 7:48 PM (permalink)
                                              Keep 'em coming! It is easy enough to ignore them if we so choose.

And besides, my son is a free lance web/internet advertising copywriter in New York.

jeepguy

• Total Posts: 1555
                                                RE: stopping the crazy ads Tue, 02/20/07 8:52 PM (permalink)
                                                quote:

I wonder if anyone complains to the bus driver because there is an ad on the side of the bus?

Do you not BUY (pay for) the newspaper because they print ads on every page?

. ...

Those ads don't slow things down. I did just post a reply and when i hit the back button was re-directed to a secure page, another advertisement. lol

roossy90

• Total Posts: 6695
                                                  RE: stopping the crazy ads Tue, 02/20/07 9:21 PM (permalink)
                                                  quote:
                                                  Originally posted by Jennifer_4

I don't notice the ads as much as the 2 emails this week I've gotten from someone using roadfood as a Nigerian email scam base...

That seems to be commonplace with most forums. I have had the same type of "bogus scam" emails from several different web sites where my email address is listed. Seems to be the nature of the beast.
                                                  Spammers are getting extremely savvy in how they do this..
                                                  I have noticed a lot more spam lately in general.

Adjudicator

• Total Posts: 5057
                                                    RE: stopping the crazy ads Tue, 02/20/07 9:26 PM (permalink)
                                                    quote:

I wonder if anyone complains to the bus driver because there is an ad on the side of the bus? A BUS? What is THAT? Nearest one 40 miles from me.
                                                    American Idol? Again I am confused. Is that something on TV?

Do you not BUY (pay for) the newspaper because they print ads on every page? A PRINTED newspaper? That's so oldish, now.

Mosca

• Total Posts: 2936
                                                      • Location: Mountain Top, PA
                                                      RE: stopping the crazy ads Tue, 02/20/07 10:59 PM (permalink)
                                                      quote:
                                                      Originally posted by Stephen Rushmore Jr.

I like people's suggestions about creating an ad-free forum site for a small cost. Perhaps I should create a lower cost ad-free subscription service like the Roadfood Insider.

I don't really mind the ads, I guess I've trained myself to ignore them. But I would pay more to see upgraded forum software. Hell, I'd pay more and ACCEPT the ads.

Tom

V960

• Location: Kannapolis area, NC
                                                        RE: stopping the crazy ads Wed, 02/21/07 2:28 PM (permalink)
                                                        I understand the ads... my complaint is the ones w/ bouncing this and flashing that.

mr chips

• Total Posts: 4715
                                                          • Location: portland, OR
                                                          RE: stopping the crazy ads Thu, 02/22/07 8:53 AM (permalink)
                                                          The ads are not troubling to me. They are a very small price to pay for website that has given me so much joy and welcome information about good food.

desertdog

• Total Posts: 1946
                                                            • Location: Scottsdale, AZ
                                                            RE: stopping the crazy ads Fri, 02/23/07 9:50 AM (permalink)
                                                            quote:
                                                            Originally posted by Jennifer_4

Wait....that was a SCAM ???? OOOOppppppsss!!!

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                              Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 30 of 36

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com