strawberry shortcake question

Author
the ancient mariner
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3987
2006/03/27 13:41:03 (permalink)

strawberry shortcake question

For the last one hundred years or so I have been making the glorious Strawberry Shortcake by just cutting up ripe berries, adding some sugar, letting them sit a spell then serving them on a buttermilk biscuit with globs of homemade whipped cream. But----recently I came across a recipe that adds orange juice and a teaspoon of orange marmalade to the berrys and cooks them all together for a few minutes. After they cool they have a glaze and taste great.

Strawberry's grown right here in Tampa are 99 cents right now so I made the desert over the weekend using the new recipe ---it was
F-A-N-T-A-S-T-I-C. Got rave reviews from all but one fair Lady who said the berries should be served on sponge cake not biscuits.

Who does what to whom ????? Which is correct ????? I prefer my biscuits---am I wrong ????

25 Replies Related Threads

aleswench
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 686
    RE: strawberry shortcake question 2006/03/27 13:59:13 (permalink)
    Belive it or not, I've never heard of using biscuits! Must be a "southern thing" - I'll have to try that! My version of strawberry shortcake is usually angel food cake, sliced strawberries and whip cream, maybe a little chocolate syrup drizzle. Nothing fancy - thanks for the recipe - I'll try that!
    Ashphalt
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1644
    RE: strawberry shortcake question 2006/03/27 14:09:26 (permalink)
    In my New England home strawberries on store-bought angel food or pound cake was a common no-fuss dessert, but my Mom wouldn't call it shortcake. Nothing "short" about an angel food cake. Real shortcake, when berries were in season, was made with a slightly sweet biscuit.
    the ancient mariner
    Filet Mignon
    RE: strawberry shortcake question 2006/03/27 15:56:33 (permalink)
    aleswench----the recipe, as long as you want to try it, is as follows---

Put a tablespoon of cornstarch in a small little ol' pot (big enough to hold all the berries though) and then slowly mix into it a cup of orange juice. Then add a carton of ripe, dee-lish-ous washed and cut up strawberries, 1/4 cup of sugar, and 1 tablespoon of orange marmalade.
    At 99 cents a box for strawberries (I bought 10 and froze them) I fikkered out I would use up a jar of marmalade pretty quick. Now you bring that whole conglamaration to a boil and then reduce the heat to low for a couple of minutes. The hard part is you have to stir it up every couple of seconds---it will get pretty thick and stick to the bottom otherwise. Let it cool and then refrigerate until you feel like a feast. And don't use no store boughten canned whipped cream, you gotta use the real stuff. Bon Apetit--RIP Julia and Jeff Smith and James Beard etc. etc.
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18255
    RE: strawberry shortcake question 2006/03/27 16:17:41 (permalink)
    I just use those small round yellow cakes that come four-to-a-package when I make this for my granbdson. I just pile on a bunch of cut up strawberries, top them with some whipped cream, then repeat with another cake, berries and whipped cream.
    aleswench
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 686
    RE: strawberry shortcake question 2006/03/27 16:31:19 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by the ancient mariner

aleswench----the recipe, as long as you want to try it, is as follows---

Put a tablespoon of cornstarch in a small little ol' pot (big enough to hold all the berries though) and then slowly mix into it a cup of orange juice. Then add a carton of ripe, dee-lish-ous washed and cut up strawberries, 1/4 cup of sugar, and 1 tablespoon of orange marmalade.
    At 99 cents a box for strawberries (I bought 10 and froze them) I fikkered out I would use up a jar of marmalade pretty quick. Now you bring that whole conglamaration to a boil and then reduce the heat to low for a couple of minutes. The hard part is you have to stir it up every couple of seconds---it will get pretty thick and stick to the bottom otherwise. Let it cool and then refrigerate until you feel like a feast. And don't use no store boughten canned whipped cream, you gotta use the real stuff. Bon Apetit--RIP Julia and Jeff Smith and James Beard etc. etc.

Thank you kindly - this will be tomorrow's dessert!
    the ancient mariner
    Filet Mignon
    RE: strawberry shortcake question 2006/03/27 16:33:23 (permalink)
    Michael you do it the same as my main lady, Mary. She thinks it is too much trouble to make biscuits. After all it is the berries and whipped cream that make the difference. But I want to be absolutely correct (for the first time).
    ocdreamr
    • Total Posts : 1109
    RE: strawberry shortcake question 2006/03/27 16:50:02 (permalink)
    Shortcake is more like a biscuit than angel food. The use of angel food cake is something that came about in the 60's & 70's. I think this was because the angel food cake was more of a commercialy viable product. Also we didn't always use whipped cream, instead we just poured cream over the berries & biscuit. Note the biscuit's would be sweetened, ergo they were called cakes. My mom told me about when she was a little girl in the 1920's (there were 8 kids in her family) a cheap dinner was each kid got a platesize shortcake with berries & cream. That was their whole dinner!
    UncleVic
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6025
    RE: strawberry shortcake question 2006/03/27 16:54:19 (permalink)
    99 cents a pound? Must be nice... I was looking at strawberrys yesterday at the store (just looking mind you), and they where retailing for 2.99/lb.
    Sonny Funzio
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 902
    RE: strawberry shortcake question 2006/03/27 17:53:14 (permalink)
    Hmmmm. A perplexing question.
    Here's the link to Wikipedia's entry for strawberry shortcake (with a *fine* lookin photo of same) ...
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shortcake
    the ancient mariner
    Filet Mignon
    RE: strawberry shortcake question 2006/03/27 18:17:14 (permalink)
    Thank you Sonny--I love the picture and the description and I will now have proof positive that the shortcake I make (I call them biscuits) is according to Hoyle, and Sonny, and Wikipedia. First time I ever beat this lady, so thank y'all kindly. But my new way of making the berries is better than that old way, believe me !!!!! Even she agrees with that !!!!
    roossy90
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6695
    RE: strawberry shortcake question 2006/03/27 19:06:11 (permalink)
    Mom, who hailed from Texas, always served it on pound cake or angel food cake....
    Yum to whatever it is served on.
    When I lived in New England, they served it on biscuits...
    emsmom
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 955
    RE: strawberry shortcake question 2006/03/28 09:25:02 (permalink)
    I've never had Strawberry shortcake using biscuits. We have always used angel food cake, those little round yellow cakes or pound cake. Fresh strawberries will be ripe in just a few short weeks. Can't Wait!!
    BarbaraCt
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 333
    RE: strawberry shortcake question 2006/03/28 09:43:38 (permalink)
    I've always used Bisquick for shortcakes. The recipe is on the box, and it is very quick and easy to make. It is also very good.
    gala62
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 18
    RE: strawberry shortcake question 2006/03/28 11:50:53 (permalink)
    I have to laugh because when married to my 1st husband, he was appalled that I was using biscuits for the strawberry shortcake (I'm from Rochester, NY and he was from near Cleveland, OH). I guess he was expecting those little yellow round cakes you buy and I was NOT going to use those things! LOL
    I do add more sugar to the basic biscuit recipe to make them more "dessert-like".

My mother and grandmother crushed the fresh berries with a little sugar and then just before serving added half and half to the berries directly, just enough to make the mixture pink. We split the shortcakes into a bowl and ladled the berries and cream over. No need for whipped cream at all. YUM!
    the ancient mariner
    Filet Mignon
    RE: strawberry shortcake question 2006/03/28 12:40:25 (permalink)
    Here is my world famous Short-cut Short-cake recipe. Well it really isn't world famous because Michael Hoffman, gala62's ex, and my favorite Lady-Mary- like those little round yellow cakes that come four in a package. To me they just sop up the juice and become too soggy. I like my shortcake to have some body. Reminds me of a Dean Martin song "Everybody Loves Somebody" except Michael, Ex and Mary.

Short-cut Short-cake Recipe

2/3 cup packaged buttermilk biscuit mix
    2 tablespoons sugar
    1/2 cup heavy cream

Mix dry stuff and then add cream. Mix by hand until dry stuff is moist about a dozen turns or so. Make 4 mounds of dough on a greased cookie sheet. Flatten on top --- should be about 3" across for each and seperated ---one in each corner. Bake in Pre-Heated 425 degree oven for 10/12 minutes. They should be golden brown and Yummy.
    roossy90
    Sirloin
    RE: strawberry shortcake question 2006/03/28 13:54:12 (permalink)
    Ancient Mariner, I am so jealous of you. Having been born and raised and lived in Florida for a long long time, I miss those strawberries.
    I used to go pick them when Kendall drive was still farm fields and not strip malls and condo's. Peppers, green bean, strawberries, tomatoes, oh, the days.. Come back looking like the blender top shot off. Fingers green from picking everything under the sun, and smelling like fresh vines.
    And of course, Plant City... I lived in Hudson, and nothing fresher than strawberries grown in your own back yard.
    the ancient mariner
    Filet Mignon
    RE: strawberry shortcake question 2006/03/28 14:16:39 (permalink)
    Tara--------
    The ones I bought were from Plant City just as you mentioned. Got them at the Saturday Market in St Petersburg. They close off Central Ave ever Sat AM and venders take over with all kinds of stuff. I go there to buy my veggies.
    Last week tomatoes were 49 cents/strawberries at 99/asparagras at 1.25/peppers at 49, etc, etc. (why don't they have a cents sign on this keyboard). Lots of booths with jams and jellies, herbs, paintings, shell things, and a lot of other home made items plus just everything under the sun to eat. It is jammed as you can imagine. Every year it gets bigger.

There are fewer and fewer farms around though and as taxes and condos go up there will be less and less. You were here when it was a Paradise.
    4fish
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 214
    RE: strawberry shortcake question 2006/03/28 14:30:10 (permalink)
    Here in western Wisconsin shortcake means baking powder biscuits -- flour, salt, baking powder, oil and milk. I don't recall the exact proportions and don't want to give anyone the wrong info. I'll have to post it later, but it's the easiest thing in the world. Just mix, drop spoonfuls on a baking sheet and bake for about 10 minutes.

Unfortunately, the only fresh berries around here are cardboard things shipped in from across the country. It'll be at least late May before the local crop starts to ripen.

I sometimes use angel food or pound cake if I'm using frozen berries, but when the berries are at their best, I like the contrast between the sweet berries and the plain biscuit.
    roossy90
    Sirloin
    RE: strawberry shortcake question 2006/03/28 14:47:52 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by the ancient mariner

Tara--------
    The ones I bought were from Plant City just as you mentioned. Got them at the Saturday Market in St Petersburg. They close off Central Ave ever Sat AM and venders take over with all kinds of stuff. I go there to buy my veggies.
    Last week tomatoes were 49 cents/strawberries at 99/asparagras at 1.25/peppers at 49, etc, etc. (why don't they have a cents sign on this keyboard). Lots of booths with jams and jellies, herbs, paintings, shell things, and a lot of other home made items plus just everything under the sun to eat. It is jammed as you can imagine. Every year it gets bigger.

There are fewer and fewer farms around though and as taxes and condos go up there will be less and less. You were here when it was a Paradise.

Born and raised in South Miami area-lived in S.Fla from FT. Lauderdale to Islamorada for 39 years, I have seen alot of farms disappear.....
    I lived in Hudson area in late 90's for about a yearor so.....
    But still..
    The best spinach I have had was from that area...Zephyrhills does more than water! How about the Zellwood corn Festival? That should be coming up soon.
    stephiegirl
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 132
    RE: strawberry shortcake question 2006/03/30 20:47:42 (permalink)
    I use the recipe for Shortcake on the Bisquick box and it is awesome. It's just like the biscuit except you add some sugar to give it a sweet flavor. When it's baked and we would use a 13 X 9 pan we would cut it up in squares and then split it in half and put berries in between and on top. I've tried the little sponge things you can buy in the store and you might as well use a sponge you clean your counters with (They taste that good). I don't know why you would want to waste your money on them when it doesn't take that long to do the Bisquick way.
    seafarer john
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3481
    RE: strawberry shortcake question 2006/03/30 22:04:50 (permalink)
    Just a small improvement on Ancient Mariner's biscuit: sprinkle a little sugar on top of your biscuits before you bake them.

And, we like to macerate some cut up berries in sugar for a few hours before serving and pour that over the biscuits then add freshly cut up berries and top with a selected good looking berry.

And, Strawberry shortcake without a big dollop of whipped cream just aint the real thing.

And, you've never tasted a real strawberry until you have some fresh from the patch here in the Hudson Valley - those big hollow thngs from Plant City ? Bah!

But, I will certainly try that recipe with the marmelade and orange juice sometime during this strawberry season. thanks for the tip, Ancient M.

Cheers, John

Cheers, John
    gala62
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 18
    RE: strawberry shortcake question 2006/03/31 08:40:48 (permalink)
    oh, yes, must add the sprinkle of sugar on top of the biscuits to give it that extra sweet crunch! Gilding the lily so to speak

I gave up on the cream in the berries method, seems only my family liked it but I must have real whipped cream to top my berries with - don't even MENTION that horrible stuff in a tub..ewwwww

I love using cooking terms and the first time I used the word "macerate", I swear my friends thought I had said a dirty word... gotta love it!
    Oneiron339
    • Total Posts : 2075
    RE: strawberry shortcake question 2006/03/31 16:47:52 (permalink)
    Mrs. Oneiron's sour cream pound cake is the only thing I'll ever use again for strawberries and "shortcake." Macerate the berries, and use fresh whipped cream - best ever!
    stephiegirl
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 132
    RE: strawberry shortcake question 2006/04/08 16:33:01 (permalink)
    I was in the grocery store the other day and I see Pillsbury came out with a new Grands biscuit called Shortcake Biscuits. They are lightly sweetened and with mashed berries in between and on top taste just like using the bisquick recipe. I dabbed a little whipped cream from a can and the whole thing was wonderful and very easy to make.
    Nemis
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 186
    RE: strawberry shortcake question 2006/04/08 16:41:55 (permalink)
    I love the "biscuits" with my shortcake..maybe sprinkle the biscuits with sugar in the raw before baking them and pour some Grand Marnier into your masarated strawberries or in your sweetened whipped cream.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1