sushi

Author
bethgrd
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 320
2006/01/17 18:06:44 (permalink)

sushi

Sushi is becoming so ubiquitous; can someone help me? I just don't like the taste of the seaweed they wrap it in. I like the rice, the pickled ginger, the cooked seafood. don't like raw seafood. the seaweed just has such an unpleasant taste to me. what do you think?Now, tempura, that I can get into. beth g

5 Replies Related Threads

V960
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2429
    RE: sushi 2006/01/18 08:27:52 (permalink)
    OK you don't like the nori or the raw seafood. Stay away from sushi. stay w/ noodles or tempura. Americans love fried food...forget that good for you fish.
    NebGuy
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 875
    RE: sushi 2006/01/18 09:35:40 (permalink)
    I don't know how many different places you have tried sushi, maybe you just had a bad experience. I've been eating it at a local place that has been around almost 20 years long before everyone jumped on the bandwagon. Perhaps you might give it another shot somewhere else.
    renfrew
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 696
    RE: sushi 2006/01/18 11:15:45 (permalink)
    Get the nigiri and of that, get only the cooked items. If you dont like raw fish though, enjoying the full range of sushi items can be tricky.

You might like the Tamago nigiri, which is a cooked egg custard. The Ebi (shrimp) nigiri is cooked so that works as well.

Is it just the rolls wrapped in seaweed you do not like? If you get the maki rolls those are wrapped in rice with a thin layer of seaweed between the rice and fillings. It would be hard to discern that flavor for a lot of people. If you can stomach it, there are various vegetable maki rolls that make prodigious use of ginger, cucumber, scallion and the like.

Do you like smoked salmon? Most places will have that as well.

Finally, if you like a place sit at the sushi bar and talk to the guy behind the counter. Once you get to know them, they will be very helpful in steering you to your preference.
    Rayme
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 106
    RE: sushi 2006/01/18 17:56:26 (permalink)
    Bethgrd

The funny thing about all this is that if you go to Japan you find out that the Japanese don't eat sushi all that much; it's very expensive and is almost a special event thing. Americans, at least in certain areas of the US, probably eat more sushi than the Japanese so just do as the Japanese do and don't eat it. Tempura in Japan is also much more different than what you get here in that the best places are tempura bars which are like sushi bars where you sit at a counter and the tempura chef prepares pieces for you one by one. You get a lot of different things you would never get in the US and the shrimp are usually swimming around in a tank a few minutes before they meet their battered end. The tempura bars are also like a sushi bar in that the cost is shocking
    bethgrd
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 320
    RE: sushi 2006/01/23 13:48:29 (permalink)
    thanks, guys, I am going to try the shrimp nigiri. beth
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1