sweet potato fries, not regular fries on the menu

Author
1bbqboy
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4617
2006/03/01 11:24:57 (permalink)

sweet potato fries, not regular fries on the menu

Here's a question for all you folks running places. We had a new place open a few weeks ago calling itself a Bar and Grill. They have an eclectic, interesting menu, but managed to make most of our table mad right off the bat. With the burger. pannini, and sandwich orders, you have the option of potato chips or Sweet Potato Fries, no regular french fries. Same with the dinner entrees.
What is the thinking behind not giving the customer what they want?
Is it to be "cool"? Cutting Edge? It's a bar & grill, after all. I want to go there for comfort food, not experiment with new cuisines and tastes. It dissapointed all of us to the extent that we probably won't go back.
By the way, no mashed potatoes or rice either, except on special nights.
What statement are these owners making?
PS: they own a successful diner/coffee shop down the road that has none of these issues; you can get potatoes in all forms there.

6 Replies Related Threads

Greymo
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3723
    RE: sweet potato fries, not regular fries on the menu 2006/03/01 12:07:32 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by bill voss

Here's a question for all you folks running places. We had a new place open a few weeks ago calling itself a Bar and Grill. They have an eclectic, interesting menu, but managed to make most of our table mad right off the bat. With the burger. pannini, and sandwich orders, you have the option of potato chips or Sweet Potato Fries, no regular french fries. Same with the dinner entrees.
    What is the thinking behind not giving the customer what they want?
    Is it to be "cool"? Cutting Edge? It's a bar & grill, after all. I want to go there for comfort food, not experiment with new cuisines and tastes. It dissapointed all of us to the extent that we probably won't go back.
    By the way, no mashed potatoes or rice either, except on special nights.
    What statement are these owners making?
    PS: they own a successful diner/coffee shop down the road that has none of these issues; you can get potatoes in all forms there.

It could be that they feel that they make a superior sweet potato fry and want to become well known for them...............sure wish this was by me. You can get regular french fries anyplace, but good sweet potato fries are hard to find.
    kland01s
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2835
    RE: sweet potato fries, not regular fries on the menu 2006/03/01 12:16:36 (permalink)
    I agree, I'd love to have sweet potato fries in any place around here!
    drsmoke02
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 250
    RE: sweet potato fries, not regular fries on the menu 2006/03/01 14:26:48 (permalink)
    I wouldn't eat sweet potato fries if they gave them away free.Sweet potato fries rank right up there with tofu.
    V960
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2429
    RE: sweet potato fries, not regular fries on the menu 2006/03/01 15:30:29 (permalink)
    IMHO they're idiots. Got to offer ff's or you'll put people off. An option of the sp fries is something I would accept but a casual question to my wife resulted in "we're not going there" as a response.
    roossy90
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6695
    RE: sweet potato fries, not regular fries on the menu 2006/03/01 20:19:19 (permalink)
    I LOVE sweet potato fries, but I agree that they should be an option.

And, it was love at first taste for me, funny, as I don't care for baked sweet potato's or yams.
    lleechef
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6767
    RE: sweet potato fries, not regular fries on the menu 2006/03/03 20:23:30 (permalink)
    While many people love sweet potato fries, curley fries, french fries, etc. etc. you HAVE to cater to your clientele! Give them what they want because they're paying your bills! I tried taking osso bucco and braised lamb shanks off the menu once.......I nearly got lynched! I put all of the above back on!
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1