taxation of unhealthy food

Author
Dr of BBQ
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3716
2011/09/29 09:29:22 (permalink)

taxation of unhealthy food

(CNSNews.com) - During a United Nations General Assembly summit on non-communicable diseases -- a discussion that included diet and eating habits -- New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg said “governments at all levels must make healthy solutions the default social option.

Speaking on the government's role in diet and health last week, Bloomberg told the UN General Assembly, “There are powers only governments can exercise, policies only governments can mandate and enforce and results only governments can achieve. To halt the worldwide epidemic of non-communicable diseases, governments at all levels must make healthy solutions the default social option. That is ultimately government’s highest duty.”

Earlier in his address Bloomberg lauded the past dietary efforts of NYC, “In 2009 we enacted the first restriction on cholesterol-free artificial trans fat in the city’s food service establishments. Our licensing of street green card producer/vendors has greatly increased the availability of fresh fruits and vegetables in neighborhoods with high rates of diet related diseases. And we’ve led a national salt reduction initiative and engaged 28 food manufacturers, supermarkets and restaurant chains to voluntarily commit to reducing excessive amounts of sodium in their products. ”

“Collaboration across borders among national and local governments and agencies is also critical. The challenges before us are too vast and complex for individual governments to overcome alone,” Bloomberg later added.

Shortly after the address, the UN adopted a political declaration on the prevention and control of non-communicable diseases.

Among the items included in the declaration are having governments intervene with the advertising of foods deemed unhealthy to “Promote the implementation of the WHO (World Health Organization) set of recommendations on the marketing of foods and non-alcoholic beverages to children, including foods that are high in saturated fats, trans-fatty acids, free sugars, or salt,” according to the document.

The political declaration also touches upon taxation of unhealthy food and intervening in it’s production itself to promote, “the development and initiate the implementation, as appropriate, of cost-effective interventions to reduce salt, sugar and saturated fats, and eliminate industrially produced trans-fats in foods, including through discouraging the production and marketing of foods that contribute to unhealthy diet.”

The Dr of BBQ
2709 S 6th Street
Springfield Illinois 62703

217-744-9999

11 Replies Related Threads

Barry Digman
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 120
    Re:taxation of unhealthy food 2011/09/29 10:06:40 (permalink)
    It just gets weirder and weirder...
    Southernsmoke
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 53
    Re:taxation of unhealthy food 2011/09/29 14:16:02 (permalink)
    Ya know when I grew up we didn't have the options kids have now, obesity is running rampant and mostly caused by processed food. I'm not for laws or taxes against that type of food but I believe kids & parents need to be able to make an educated choice.
    I purposely make an effort to offer in our menu as much food from scratch as I can, without all of the additives, sugar and other junk.. 
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10328
    Re:taxation of unhealthy food 2011/09/29 15:03:53 (permalink)
    Next thing you know, Big Brother will be telling us how to wipe our butts and blow our noses without getting them mixed up!
    lornaschinske
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1610
    Re:taxation of unhealthy food 2011/09/29 15:55:30 (permalink)
    When you consider that kids can and do eat Breakfast and Lunch in school, five days a week, that means the gov is feeding the kids more than they eat at home. So who's to blame for fat kids?
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    Re:taxation of unhealthy food 2011/09/29 17:05:38 (permalink)
    lornaschinske

When you consider that kids can and do eat Breakfast and Lunch in school, five days a week, that means the gov is feeding the kids more than they eat at home. So who's to blame for fat kids?

I was in a High School this week and saw a vending machine full of fruit, healthy milk drinks and energy bars. Apparently they just filled the machine OR the kids aren't buying that stuff. My guess? The latter according to what my Freshman Granddaughter tells me. She's an athlete, eats healthy but brings stuff from home. She says most kids eat junk food.
    billyp
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 87
    Re:taxation of unhealthy food 2011/09/29 18:52:18 (permalink)
    Please spare me! My dad told me long ago, "everything in moderation". Good advice and I am about up to here with government regulating every aspect of our lives...
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    Re:taxation of unhealthy food 2011/09/29 19:10:27 (permalink)
    billyp

Please spare me! My dad told me long ago, "everything in moderation". Good advice and I am about up to here with government regulating every aspect of our lives...

Don't you realize that the Guvment knows what's best for you??
    BackAlleyBurger
    • Total Posts : 1077
    Re:taxation of unhealthy food 2011/09/29 20:25:59 (permalink)
    the day the gov starts dictating how i cook and what i put in it will be the day i become famous for doing very bad things
    bartl
    • Total Posts : 1329
    Re:taxation of unhealthy food 2011/09/29 22:47:52 (permalink)
    Mike Bloomberg was the one who banned more than a certain amount of transfats in restaurant food, never mind that he was using tests that were not independently verified and used heavily fudged data. But he never closed down Peter Luger's, even though steaks more than 1 lb contain more than the allowed amount of trans fats.

Bart
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    Re:taxation of unhealthy food 2011/09/30 02:07:08 (permalink)
    bartl

Mike Bloomberg was the one who banned more than a certain amount of transfats in restaurant food, never mind that he was using tests that were not independently verified and used heavily fudged data. But he never closed down Peter Luger's, even though steaks more than 1 lb contain more than the allowed amount of trans fats.

Bart

Closing Peter Luger's would have immediately ended his political career!
    cracker75
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 69
    Re:taxation of unhealthy food 2011/09/30 02:58:05 (permalink)
    Sad part is, the government is more than happy to approve stuff that does this to you:

Yet spends endless tax-dollars shutting down small farm-to-market operations like raw milk clubs.

Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1