Author
Copperhedzkettle
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 293
2006/03/03 13:39:05 (permalink)

teacher probed

Yer opinion on this......
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2006/03/03/politics/main1364883.shtml
How do you feel about your child's public schooling, is it balanced?

33 Replies Related Threads

Scorereader
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5550
    RE: teacher probed 2006/03/03 14:25:15 (permalink)
    this thread may get ugly. I hope the admins keep a watchful eye. I will say this, as one who taught for 6 years in two public school high schools, one rural and one city. The point of teaching, is to educate students with the facts and allow them to use those facts to come to their own fact-based and supported conclusions. At times, my job was to play devil's advocate. Not to spout the other side, but to show, perhaps, the non-"conventional wisdom" point of view to prompt discussion for better understanding of the facts.
    Sometimes, I would have students state (on paper) their opinion about a matter before the facts were taught. Then after the facts were taught, ask them to state their opinion with facts to support the opinion, or to refute the opinion if that was the case. Had the student's opinion or understanding of the facts chaged? Had they bent the information to fit their preconcieved notions? Had they kept an open mind? Was their instinct in-line with the facts the whole time? Can they argue the other side of the issue as strong as their own side?

It's hard to tell from that article what the context was of his statement. As it was presented in the story, he seemed to libel the President. But, I wasn't in the class, so I didn't hear what led up to that statement, nor did I hear what followed that statement. In either event, he was skating in thin ice and possibly entering territory unsuitable for a Geography lesson.

Teaching is a very powerful position. Most of the time, a teacher doesn't feel all that powerful or influential. In fact, many teachers feel weak and binded. They often struggle and are constantly coming up with new ways to present material to an ever changing landscape of kids. In an environment, such as the public schools, it's easy to forget that what you say actually sticks in the minds of the kids and they take it with them. And you don't always know what facts and ideas will stick. And it's the fact that something a teacher says can stick in a student's head for a long long time and possibly make a huge impression on future choices that a student makes, is why a teacher can hold an abundance of power, without even knowing it.

I would guess this teacher certainly didn't realize that this one statement would be heard louder than any of his other statements. Whether he should have said it or not.

scbuzz
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 844
    RE: teacher probed 2006/03/03 16:29:37 (permalink)
    I think personal politics and beliefs should stay out of the classroom.
    NebGuy
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 875
    RE: teacher probed 2006/03/03 16:51:21 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Scorereader

In either event, he was skating in thin ice and possibly entering territory unsuitable for a Geography lesson.

This was my first thought when I read the article. I'm sure some things in a State of the Union address may be related to geography but I think a Political Science class a better forum to discuss this.
    Scorereader
    Sirloin
    RE: teacher probed 2006/03/03 16:56:06 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by scbuzz

I think personal politics and beliefs should stay out of the classroom.

I'm certainly not condoning the teacher's behavior. But, education will affect one's beliefs or viewpoints on a topic. Morality issues come up in history classes when discussing, say, "Manifest Destiny." The facts are there for us to learn and learn from.

A good teacher will never really let the students in on what he/she believes. Rather, a good teacher will enable a student to come up with their own thought through the use of giving facts and challenging a learners position. Enabling the students the ability to "back it up," if you will.

I don't think my students knew my beliefs or poitical views. And, we rarely talked politics in my classes. But we did talk about topics that kids had passionate beliefs about, and giving them facts and forcing them to use facts and knowledge of subject area(s) to back up their position, is important. When they leave high school, they will go out in the world and their opinions will be shaped by the education and experiences they had in their youth.

Like I said, I'm not justifying this teacher's comments. It seems to me, that it's hard for that teacher to seem credible when he equates the President of the United States with a man who ordered the torture and slaughter of over 6 million people based on their religion, heritage, and sexual preference.

I'm only saying , that certain ideological beliefs do come into play when in the classroom. But, certainly, a teacher needs to be careful about what they say and how they say it.

Jimeats
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3175
    RE: teacher probed 2006/03/03 19:05:37 (permalink)
    Scorereader I do agree with you. But on the other hand this educator has just taught a whole class on how some things can get blown out of proportion with some misplaced comments. Obviously some of the students in his class have formulated their own opinion to the point that it was brought to the attention of the media. I also did not hear the whole transcript of this class and can only guess what might have been stated in the presentation to the students. My guess is that this teacher will probably end up at some University in the very near future as an educator and welcomed with open arms. We must remember this country was founded on dissent and people speaking out against those that ruled us. And most of it done from a pulpit. Where would we be if Gen. Gage was orderd to hang all those that spoke out against the crown? Sorry just a thought. Chow Jim
    sizz
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1685
    RE: teacher probed 2006/03/03 23:12:26 (permalink)
    http://townhall.com/opinion/columns/walterwilliams/2006/02/22/187189.html

story from the writer that broke this story....................... as soon as I saw that Copperhedzkettle prompt took me to CBS I immediately knew there was more to this story
    Tedbear
    • Total Posts : 1832
    RE: teacher probed 2006/03/04 13:11:07 (permalink)
    When I began my career as a teacher of U.S. History, World Geography, and Sociology in 1969, the Vietnam war was still raging, despite Richard Nixon's campaign promise of a "secret plan to end the war". I was adamantly opposed to most of Nixon's policies, including his lack of a plan to end the war. However, I was scrupulously careful to keep my personal views from entering the classroom.

At least once a week, we would have Current Events infused into our various discussions in U.S. History, and occasionally we would do the same if there were any events relevant to the curriculum in the Geography and Sociology classes. I tried my level best to remain balanced whenever we had these discussions, and I was very pleased when the students would frequently ask me where I stood on a particular issue. I would reply by asking if they were really unsure of where I stood on the issues. Invariably, the reply from the students was something along the lines of--we can't figure out what your own opinion is, so we really want to know how you feel about it. To me, this was one of the greatest compliments that I could receive, as it showed that I had succeeded in my aim of being balanced and impartial in discussions of the issues of the day.

That being said, I have observed time and time again that those teachers who espouse right-wing views in the classroom are not called to task, since their views are frequently interpreted as being "patriotic", rather than unbalanced. Isn't that curious? If one verbalizes views that are considered to be "left of center", then that person is not presenting a balanced view. But, the person who presents only a "right of center" view is considered to be within his rights and is rarely criticized. Where is the justice (or balance) in that practice?

So, although I strongly believe that one's political philosophies do not belong in the classroom, I would like everyone to consider their own views on this issue. If the teacher in question was somewhere "to the right" of the current administration, would you also feel that he should be muzzled, or would you consider him to be merely patriotic?
    Copperhedzkettle
    Cheeseburger
    RE: teacher probed 2006/03/04 13:14:28 (permalink)
    CBS, CNN, Fox, FSTV and Washington Journal.....I watch them ALL. Is there balance in the media (edited to correct "media" to "school curriculum", thanks,) (BTW, thats the question I posed to this thread) NO, nor is there in the classroom, thanks for making my point for me. :P
    College is one thing, public high school quite another.
    If students and their lockers can be searched without a warrant or parents persission, what is the message we are sending to them when they can't tape classroom discussion?
    What is being taught to our children and grandchildren? A simple enough question, lets not muddy the water.

Copper
    "
    sizz
    • Total Posts : 1685
    RE: teacher probed 2006/03/04 13:38:33 (permalink)
    quote:
    Copperhedzkettle Posted - 03/04/2006 : 13:14:28
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A simple enough question, lets not muddy the water.

Copper
    Evidently you read my post the wrong way I said and meant that your post took me to a CBS story. It was CBS that prompted me to look elsewhere for another view of this story not you.
    Cool your heels there young lady
    Copperhedzkettle
    Cheeseburger
    RE: teacher probed 2006/03/04 13:51:31 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by fpczyz

quote:
    Copperhedzkettle Posted - 03/04/2006 : 13:14:28
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A simple enough question, lets not muddy the water.

Copper
    Evidently you read my post the wrong way I said and meant that your post took me to a CBS story. It was CBS that prompted me to look elsewhere for another view of this story not you.

I'm cool! I'm cool!
    I knew exactly what you meant, since it was on CBS there must be more to it (valid). Thanks for the link you provided, it was great!

As far as "muddying the Water" it was not directed at you. There is so much imbalance in public schools (wealthy vs poor, athletic vs geeks...blah blah blah) and I didn't want to get stuck on politics and a brawl break out. ;)

Its so strange to me that this story has been all over local radio for two days now, but not one mention on TV news. OH yeah...just one tidbit on a Foxx News crawl. Makes me wonder how aware folks are of the influence ot teachers. They have the opportunity to influence for the good (or bad). Their importance is often overlooked in our society.

We cool, Fpczyz

Copper

Tedbear
    RE: teacher probed 2006/03/04 13:56:50 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Copperhedzkettle

CBS, CNN, Fox, FSTV and Washington Journal.....I watch them ALL. Is there balance in the media? (BTW, thats the question I posed to this thread) NO, nor is there in the classroom, thanks for making my point for me. :P
    College is one thing, public high school quite another.
    If students and their lockers can be searched without a warrant or parents persission, what is the message we are sending to them when they can't tape classroom discussion?
    What is being taught to our children and grandchildren? A simple enough question, lets not muddy the water.

Copper

Actually, Copper, the question that you posed in the beginning of this thread was "How do you feel about your child's public schooling, is it balanced?". Your original question was NOT about the media and its balance or imbalance.

So, please allow me to reiterate my point, which was in response to your actual question. Yes, there should be balance in the classroom, although this does not always exist since human failings sometimes cause our passions and our emotions to overcome our logic and our adherence to rules. And, since you later posed the other question, yes, there should also be balance in the media although this is not always the case.
    BT
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3589
    RE: teacher probed 2006/03/04 14:01:37 (permalink)
    I have two concerns about this issue: (1) Was the subject of his comments relevent to the class he was teaching (i.e what does politics have to do with geography?); (2) there's a difference between leading a balanced discussion of a subject with full exploration of all sides and an exposition of the teacher's personal views.

I don't know the full story on this issue. I heard the kid who made the tape on the Hannity radio show (sure I listen to that--I want to know what even the fanatics are saying) and so I know his side of it but I'm pretty sure there's another I don't know as well. So I won't take sides myself--yet. But if the subject was relevent to the class and the teacher gave time not only to his own views on the issue but to possible alternative views as well, I'm on his side. Otherwise, I'm not.

Unlike Ted, I don't think politics needs to stay entirely out of the classroom because our governmental system depends on citizens participating in politics and they need to be taught how that works. What's important is that no kid go home feeling the teacher did not treat the views of any member of the class fairly or tried to impose his/her own views on members of the class (or gave the impression that kids with views that differ from his/her own might be disfavored in his/her classroom in any way).
    Tedbear
    RE: teacher probed 2006/03/04 15:10:37 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by BT

I have two concerns about this issue: (1) Was the subject of his comments relevent to the class he was teaching (i.e what does politics have to do with geography?); (2) there's a difference between leading a balanced discussion of a subject with full exploration of all sides and an exposition of the teacher's personal views.

I don't know the full story on this issue. I heard the kid who made the tape on the Hannity radio show (sure I listen to that--I want to know what even the fanatics are saying) and so I know his side of it but I'm pretty sure there's another I don't know as well. So I won't take sides myself--yet. But if the subject was relevent to the class and the teacher gave time not only to his own views on the issue but to possible alternative views as well, I'm on his side. Otherwise, I'm not.

Unlike Ted, I don't think politics needs to stay entirely out of the classroom because our governmental system depends on citizens participating in politics and they need to be taught how that works. What's important is that no kid go home feeling the teacher did not treat the views of any member of the class fairly or tried to impose his/her own views on members of the class (or gave the impression that kids with views that differ from his/her own might be disfavored in his/her classroom in any way).

BT--Perhaps my comments need further clarification. I most certainly did not state or imply that politics should "stay out of the classroom". By engaging a class in discussions of current events, you are directing them to greater attention to national and world events, and the political process is certainly one of the major components of those events. I also tried to expose my students to differering political views--and that is as it should be. However, I never allowed them to know which candidate I favored, or whether or not I supported the administration that was in power at the time. The students' questioning of me made it obvious that they never figured out my political affiliations.

What seems to be the issue here is whether a teacher should be injecting his own views into the discussion. Since a teacher can, potentially, influence his/her students greatly, it is important to not espouse any particular view. The teacher's position in a classroom discussion is really similar to that of a TV moderator, and we certainly would not accept partisan views from a moderator.

So--no, I don't believe that politics should stay out of the classroom. However, I do believe that the pushing of one's own political agenda should stay out of the classroom, as that is tantamount to proselytizing (sp?), and that is not what teachers should be doing.

Instead, an effective teacher presents differing views of a topic, allows students to react and to express their own views and interpretations, and demonstrates to the class that the expression of differing views by their classmates is something that is to be tolerated and, if possible, encouraged, in our democratic society.

Discussion of political events is a wonderful thing in a class where it has relevance to the subject. Standing on a soapbox in one's classroom is to be avoided at all costs. And, it looks like one teacher has now learned the cost of his non-avoidance.
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18390
    RE: teacher probed 2006/03/04 17:46:51 (permalink)
    March 3, 2006
    Student Tapes 2nd Teacher’s Geographic Language
    by Scott Ott

(2006-03-03) — Just a month after Colorado high school teacher Jay Bennish was caught on tape by a student as he ranted against President George Bush, capitalism and the United States in general, another student has come forward with a recording that could send shockwaves through teachers’ lounges nationwide.

On the second tape, an unnamed geography teacher from the same school can be heard openly discussing topography, soil, vegetation, climate, population numbers and the specific names of continents, mountain ranges, oceans and nations.

A “shocked and disappointed” Cherry Creek School District Superintendent Monte C. Moses immediately announced that the second teacher has been placed on paid administrative leave, pending an investigation.

“If this tape is authenticated,” Mr. Moses said, “and if we find that our students were exposed to geographic language and objective facts, I’m sure the National Education Association (NEA) won’t be happy about it. Our policy is to take swift action against incompetence.”

Meanwhile, the superintendent said he has assigned a team of six teachers to investigate Sean Allen, the 16-year-old student who recorded Mr. Bennish as he compared President Bush with Adolph Hitler.

“The obvious question here,” he said, “is why would a student record a teacher’s lecture? What’s his motive? Is he a threat to the school? Does he need special education, or referral to a mental health agency?”

http://www.scrappleface.com/?p=2198

NebGuy
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 875
    RE: teacher probed 2006/03/04 17:54:13 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Michael Hoffman

March 3, 2006
    by Scott Ott

(2006-03-03) — Just a month after Colorado high school teacher Jay Bennish was caught on tape by a student as he ranted against President George Bush, capitalism and the United States in general, another student has come forward with a recording that could send shockwaves through teachers’ lounges nationwide.

On the second tape, an unnamed geography teacher from the same school can be heard openly discussing topography, soil, vegetation, climate, population numbers and the specific names of continents, mountain ranges, oceans and nations.

A “shocked and disappointed” Cherry Creek School District Superintendent Monte C. Moses immediately announced that the second teacher has been placed on paid administrative leave, pending an investigation.

“If this tape is authenticated,” Mr. Moses said, “and if we find that our students were exposed to geographic language and objective facts, I’m sure the National Education Association (NEA) won’t be happy about it. Our policy is to take swift action against incompetence.”

Meanwhile, the superintendent said he has assigned a team of six teachers to investigate Sean Allen, the 16-year-old student who recorded Mr. Bennish as he compared President Bush with Adolph Hitler.

“The obvious question here,” he said, “is why would a student record a teacher’s lecture? What’s his motive? Is he a threat to the school? Does he need special education, or referral to a mental health agency?”

LMAO
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18390
    RE: teacher probed 2006/03/04 18:00:04 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Copperhedzkettle

Yer opinion on this......
    http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2006/03/03/politics/main1364883.shtml
    How do you feel about your child's public schooling, is it balanced?

She lives!
    Scorereader
    Sirloin
    RE: teacher probed 2006/03/06 10:12:49 (permalink)
    LOL Michael!

Cosmos
    • Total Posts : 1449
    RE: teacher probed 2006/03/06 17:33:35 (permalink)
    I enjoyed political discussion in high school in the '70's. Granted most of it took place in history, but was not unusual for other classes to have topical discussions. Kids should feel free to discuss their opinions with teachers and visa versa, as long as its a two way discussion. It would be bad if the kids just sat there and sucked it up without comment like they do the rest of their school work.
    Pwingsx
    • Total Posts : 2170
    RE: teacher probed 2006/03/06 19:13:27 (permalink)
    Excellent satire, Michael.

This is all happening in my back yard, as it were, and I'll tell you, I find it much more disturbing that he shared stories about underage drinking, smoking dope and underage sex, than some of his political views. And as he stated ON THE TAPE, he admits he doesn't even necessarily believe these points of view himself, but he wants the kids to THINK.

The kid who released the tape is getting an A in the class, so it's not like he's being slapped down for having a viewpoint different from the liberal teacher.

Cherry Creek has a well-defined policy about 'balance' in its school curriculum. This is probably how the teacher will be brought down. I don't completely agree or disagree with what's happening, but it's very interesting to listen to local coverage vs national, and believe you me, PLENTY gets lost in the translation.

It's like the brown snow that occurred in parts of Colorado a few weeks ago. It was said that dust storms in Arizona caused some of the snow to be tinted pink. Well, about ten days after this storm, it finally made the news in some rather strange places (I LOVE news on the web) where it was described as being brown as the dirt as it fell onto. Sheesh.

It's like playing the children's game of telephone.
    Bushie
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2902
    RE: teacher probed 2006/03/06 20:02:10 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Michael Hoffman

March 3, 2006
    by Scott Ott

Ditto. (Glad to see you read Scrappleface, Mr. Hoffman!!)

My take from the beginning was that, besides the fact that this "teacher" is an ignorant waterhead, he SHOULD focus on teaching geography. From the comments of many students I've read, he spends about 20% of his time on geography, and the rest showing what a fool he really is. If I only spent 20% of my time doing the job I was hired to do, I would most likely be replaced.

Back to the original title of the thread, I had a number of teachers growing up that I would have liked to probe.
    Jimeats
    Filet Mignon
    RE: teacher probed 2006/03/07 04:39:22 (permalink)
    Now for the teachers point of view. He is going to be interviewed this morning on the NBC Today show. Chow Jim
    Cosmos
    • Total Posts : 1449
    RE: teacher probed 2006/03/07 09:00:26 (permalink)
    I only heard part of the recorded clip this morning...He appeared to be comparing the goverment's attempted control of information with that of the nazis in a bad analogy. I just edited my opinions regarding this because this is road food, (or maybe I'm afraid my phones will get tapped ;) but If I were a student of his, I would have enjoyed debating that opinion, and afterall isn't that how we learn to think and form opinions of our own...take control of our own destiny...
    Fieldthistle
    • Total Posts : 1948
    RE: teacher probed 2006/03/07 09:26:25 (permalink)
    Hello All,
    For what's worth, when I was in school, (whether public or university) when it came to politics,
    I never really cared what the teacher or professor thought. I liked the debate. But when it
    came to the test, I could shade my answers on essay questions a bit based on what I percieved as their political tilt.
    That was nearly 30 years ago. I talked to my daughter, and she basically shares my experience now.
    I, and she, have never felt we have recieved a failing or lesser grade due to politics.
    Take Care,
    Fieldthistle
    Copperhedzkettle
    Cheeseburger
    RE: teacher probed 2006/03/07 12:32:52 (permalink)
    All opinions/facts/experiences etc. posted here have been quite thought-provoking for me.

Scorereader
    quote:
    Teaching is a very powerful position. Most of the time, a teacher doesn't feel all that powerful or influential. In fact, many teachers feel weak and binded. They often struggle and are constantly coming up with new ways to present material to an ever changing landscape of kids. In an environment, such as the public schools, it's easy to forget that what you say actually sticks in the minds of the kids and they take it with them. And you don't always know what facts and ideas will stick. And it's the fact that something a teacher says can stick in a student's head for a long long time and possibly make a huge impression on future choices that a student makes, is why a teacher can hold an abundance of power, without even knowing it.

My most memorable teacher was Ms. Pierce from 7th grade. She taught a lecture US History class, and made an ambitious effort to include African-American's and Women's part in the scheme of things that were NOT included in our approved books. I have NEVER forgotten her or the impression she made on me.

Jimeats
    quote:
    My guess is that this teacher will probably end up at some University in the very near future as an educator and welcomed with open arms. We must remember this country was founded on dissent and people speaking out against those that ruled us. And most of it done from a pulpit.

Bwa-hahahahahahahhahah, aint that the truth, Jim.
    Wonder how this geography "teacher" feels about recruiters on campus?

Tedbear
    quote:

That being said, I have observed time and time again that those teachers who espouse right-wing views in the classroom are not called to task, since their views are frequently interpreted as being "patriotic", rather than unbalanced. Isn't that curious? If one verbalizes views that are considered to be "left of center", then that person is not presenting a balanced view. But, the person who presents only a "right of center" view is considered to be within his rights and is rarely criticized. Where is the justice (or balance) in that practice?

I'm not sure what examples you are citing, pretty general or anecdotal to me. No prayer in school? That got lots of attention. Taking "under God" out of the pledge of allegiance? I seem to recall that in the media and continues here and there. As far as what teachers espouse in class, how ya gonna know iffen they can't be taped? To the question you posed I would reply, "balance is in the eye of the beholder" heh heh

fpzyz
    quote:

How the hades did you know I was wearing my red-hot stilettoe heels when I made that post? The shoes have now taken sanctuary along with the Bacardi pint in the freezer

Tedbear
    quote:
    Actually, Copper, the question that you posed in the beginning of this thread was "How do you feel about your child's public schooling, is it balanced?". Your original question was NOT about the media and its balance or imbalance.

I'm hoping the screw-up was obvious for all to figure out. I edited it, and I appreciate you bringing it to my attention. At least I know you read my posts. It just goes to show you, us young'uns have lots to learn from our "elders".

BT
    quote:
    What's important is that no kid go home feeling the teacher did not treat the views of any member of the class fairly or tried to impose his/her own views on members of the class (or gave the impression that kids with views that differ from his/her own might be disfavored in his/her classroom in any way).

This bears REPEATING, thanks for posting something else for me to think about.

Michael Hoffman
    quote:
    March 3, 2006
    by Scott Ott

Just the angle I was aimin for, Michael. Great Job! I bow to your Appreciation of Humor! You are .

Pwingsx
    quote:
    It's like playing the children's game of telephone.

LMFAO! (freaking)

Bushie
    quote:
    Back to the original title of the thread, I had a number of teachers growing up that I would have liked to probe.

Would that be "probe" or "grope". Ms Pierce had the guys attention from the get go. Did I mention she had red hair teased into the "That Girl " style, and sported short dresses with what appeared to be 4' legs?

Michael Hoffman
    quote:
    She lives!

Alive but certainly not kicking!

Copper

octopus
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 264
    RE: teacher probed 2006/03/07 14:08:54 (permalink)
    Cultural Geography and Mental Mapping, what an idiot that guy is, if he hates this country so much I suggest he go live in Iraq.
    Never should a teacher bring there own politics into the classroom, besides it's my job to warp my kid's mind not theirs.
    Scorereader
    Sirloin
    RE: teacher probed 2006/03/07 15:43:17 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by octopus

Cultural Geography and Mental Mapping, what an idiot that guy is, if he hates this country so much I suggest he go live in Iraq.
    Never should a teacher bring there own politics into the classroom, besides it's my job to warp my kid's mind not theirs.

Why would he move to Iraq? Clearly, this guy thinks the country is going down the toilet, so to speak. Agree or disagree, it doesn't matter, because the point is, why would a guy move to a crappier neighborhood, when he's not happy and thinks that the neighborhood he lives in is turning sour. If I saw a drug deal in my neighborhood, I wouldn't say, "oh crap, this place sucks, let's move to that neighborhood where the gangs live."

Jimeats
    Filet Mignon
    RE: teacher probed 2006/03/07 18:21:03 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by octopus

Gotta disagree with you on this item. What he has done to these students is instill the idea that we can make a difference. No matter what your personel thoughts or ideas are this is still a Democracy. You do have the right to disagree and to debate and bring forth your interpitation of any subject you feel is in the interest of the common man. This educator has probably brought this to hopefully the dinner tables of all his students homes. I am not an educator nor anyone in my family but I do have to applaud this teachers attitude on his teaching style. If there is no dissent or opposing views on any issue, we are headed down a rocky road that I'm sure none of us wants to travel. I'm only a retired Iron worker but a student of our history. I do know that our constitution was drawn up in Phily and it was after much debate and dissent by the the framers of this creed that the people of this country now have the rights that enable us to live free and to speak out on any topic that is seen fit. I am proud of our educators and our students and to the familys of these students that will take the time to discuss the issues that impact all of us. Sorry about the rant, just my thoughts. Chow Jim
    Tedbear
    RE: teacher probed 2006/03/07 18:30:34 (permalink)
    Copper--Regarding the following:

I had stated:

You responded:
    I'm not sure what examples you are citing, pretty general or anecdotal to me. No prayer in school? That got lots of attention. Taking "under God" out of the pledge of allegiance? I seem to recall that in the media and continues here and there. As far as what teachers espouse in class, how ya gonna know iffen they can't be taped? To the question you posed I would reply, "balance is in the eye of the beholder" heh heh

Yes, there is no question that what I cited is anecdotal, or to be more specific, based on personal observations. While you may not have shared my experiences, I can tell you honestly what I observed over a 34 year career as an educator. My first Social Studies supervisor was a member of The John Birch Society. This far right-wing group was sort of a continuation of the shameful McCarthy era (see Good Night & Good Luck for a graphic representation of this period in our history if you did not live through that horror), and they honestly believed that almost the entire U.S. Government, including Presidents Eisenhower, Kennedy & Johnson, most of Congress and most of the Supreme Court were avowed Communists.

This supervisor used to disseminate materials that were (to be kind) looney and incredibly skewed views of the world and of our country. Most of the teachers saw fit to ignore her memorandums on what to teach, since she was too addled to really know most of what was going on around her. But, the real right-wingers in the Social Studies Department were spouting her John Birch Society press releases as if they were the gospel. And were they criticized? Absolutely not!

On the other hand, a few young teachers who dared to occasionally reveal their opposition to the Vietnam War were castigated, and in a few cases, not rehired. Bear in mind that they were not proselytizing, but merely showing their underlying principles on a few occasions, when pressed for a statement on their feelings on the war. Perhaps they were less than competent, but believe me, many of the right-wing teachers were less than competent also. (The one who swore that he had sandbagged his attic and fortified it with automatic weapons in anticipation of "The Commies Marching Down Main Street" was later promoted to an administrative position, despite his trumpeting of his views in the classroom!)

Anecdotal? Yes!
    True? Absolutely!
    Fair? I will let each of you judge that question for yourselves.

As I said, frequently, far right-wing statements in the classroom are considered to be somehow patriotic, despite the fact that any political extreme puts us on a slippery slope, and the fact that this is another example of lack of balance.
    Pwingsx
    • Total Posts : 2170
    RE: teacher probed 2006/03/07 19:01:55 (permalink)
    If you would like to hear a real interview made right after Bennish had the snow job on The Today Show, then go to KHOW.com and click on the interview Peter Boyles did with him. He nailed him.
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1