Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

thumann's hot dogs

Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 30 of 45
t&d distributing

• Total Posts: 4
thumann's hot dogs Sun, 08/21/05 11:08 AM (permalink)
My partner and I are considering starting to ship Thumann's Hot Dogs Nationwide. We have been a Thumann's Distributor for 30 years.

I am asking the forum's opinion on whether you guys think its a good idea!!

We actually will be able to ship anything Thumann's and also New Jersey favorites Trenton and Taylor Pork Roll.

Have a great day!!!

Kevin

John Fox

• Total Posts: 2313
    RE: thumann's hot dogs Sun, 08/21/05 6:10 PM (permalink)
    Kevin,

It's not a good idea, it's a great idea! I'm surprised that it isn't already being done. Keeping in mind that taste is subjective, in my opinion there is no better frankfurter than Thumann's. At least when it comes to a mixed meat (beef and pork) rather than all beef frank. And Thumann's makes a good all beef dog as well.

I'm fortunate in that I live where you can easily get Thumann's. If I didn't, I would go out of my way to get them. Having had a tour of the place, I know a little about their dogs. They are so much better than what is available in much of the country. The standard dog in the blue package (the griller) would do well across the country. It is fairly mild in taste, but in no ways bland. The flavor would appeal to people who grew up on mild tasting inferior dogs as well as people who know and appreciate good hot dogs. I've been to places such as German and Polish butchers that make excellent franks from old world recipes and quality cuts of meat rather than trimmings. But even these, although they come close to the quality of Thumann's, don't have the combination of flavor, tenderness, and juicyness that you find in a Thumann's hot dog.

Unlike most hot dog manufacturers, Thumann's doesn't employ a technique called vacuum chopping that sucks the air out of the meat mixture, resulting in a tighter packed product. Instead, Thumanns franks are more loosely packed which makes for a more tender dog and lends itself to quicker cooking.

People in certain areas, like Chicago and New York City, who grew up on spicy, garlicky, all beef dogs may not like the Thumanns griller, but overall, I think there would be a good demand for them. I've even thought of shipping Thumann's and other dogs. Two women from New Jersey are doing real well shipping Taylor and Trenton Pork Roll all over the country; mostly to ex Jersyites.

Do you speak to Bill Merkent? He's the plant manager at Thumann's and the guy who's taken me on a tour and answers all my questions. Good luck if you go nation wide. I'm sure that you'll get a few orders from hot dog lovers on this site.

Poverty Pete

• Total Posts: 2266
      RE: thumann's hot dogs Sun, 08/21/05 11:39 PM (permalink)
      I have only had one Thumann's dog, and I wasn't at all impressed. I have a good deal of confidence in the opinion of John Fox, so I can only think that something happened between New Jersey and Tennessee. The one that I had, in front of a Home Depot, was skinless, waterlogged, and reminded me of a Sinai 48, but not quite as good. Please tell me that wasn't the real deal.

John Fox

RE: thumann's hot dogs Mon, 08/22/05 9:52 AM (permalink)
        It probably wasn't. More than likely it was one of their all beef pushcart dogs. Which is okay, but not the same product as their natural casing grilled beef and pork dog that I was referring to. And it's possible that the dog may have been old. Even if it wasn't, a lot of these stands keep their dogs in the water much too long.

There is a roach coach that comes to my workplace every morning.
        The guy offers hot dogs that he keeps in water in a heated bin. I happenned to look at the package that he kept in the ice in another section of the truck to see the brand that he was using and I saw that the expiration date was up a month ago. The only way that you can be sure that you're getting the real thing is to get a package, check the date, and make sure that it has been properly refrigerated. Once, at a supermarket near my home, I bought a package of Thumann's that turned out to be bad. The date was fine, but when I returned to the store, I noticed that the hot dogs were not cold at all.

I'm fairly sure that if you got a fresh sample, you would like it.

Dale R

• Total Posts: 13
          RE: thumann's hot dogs Mon, 08/22/05 9:53 AM (permalink)
          Thumann's in Maine, Thumann's in Maine, Thumann's in Maine!!!
          I can't believe it!

Maine had a number of good frankfurter companies ie Kirshner's, Jordans, Rice's etc which were all recently purchased by big bad boy Tyson's. They closed plants and moved them out of state laying off hundreds of workers. Worse yet, they tinkered with the formula and ruined them leaving us with junk. Maine is ripe for Thumann's, they would take over! We have many New England Frank Roll companies, we just need a good natural casing frank to put in them!

t&d distributing

RE: thumann's hot dogs Mon, 08/22/05 11:18 AM (permalink)
            Thanks so much for the words of encouragement. We are working as fast as we can to have everything setup to start. I will keep you posted as we get closer. I'm thinking 2-3 weeks from now!!

Thanks

Kevin

tiki

• Total Posts: 4135
              RE: thumann's hot dogs Mon, 08/22/05 12:01 PM (permalink)
              i LOVE the idea---GOOD hot dogs are VERY rare here in easternern Oklahoma and this would be great!! Eapeically ifr my brother sends me some good top split buns that same week!

t&d distributing

RE: thumann's hot dogs Wed, 08/24/05 3:17 PM (permalink)
                We will also be able to ship Dilusso Genoa Salami and any other Thumann's products anyone would want.

I will continue to keep you posted.!!!

Kevin

DaveM

• Total Posts: 353
                  RE: thumann's hot dogs Wed, 08/24/05 5:31 PM (permalink)
                  Kevin,
                  Be sure and check BJ's Wholesale Club before you go to much further.
                  Our local warehouse here in Woburn,MA (it is called Stoneham,MA in the BJ's store locator guide) installed a full Thumann's deli case (manned) inside their meat department.Also a large rotisserie for cooking 20 or so whole chickens at once.
                  I purchased a pound of bologna myself about 3 weeks ago.
                  Obviously, an effort by BJ's to enter the fresh deli and rotisserie chicken market.

long dog

• Total Posts: 295
                    RE: thumann's hot dogs Wed, 08/24/05 9:01 PM (permalink)
                    The local BJ's in North Haven CT also carries a full line of Thumann's deli products - but they don't have the dogs this year.....

Hummel's plant is about 10 miles south, so they stock Hummel's as does the Costco in Milford CT

t&d distributing

RE: thumann's hot dogs Thu, 08/25/05 8:34 AM (permalink)
                      Thanks guys for the great feedback. I will look into those things!!!

Kevin

John Fox

RE: thumann's hot dogs Thu, 08/25/05 9:27 AM (permalink)
                        Kevin,

Why is it that in many places in New York, Connecticut, and Pennsylvania, stores and retail outlets carry Thumann's coldcuts, but not the hot dogs? The coldcuts are top quality, as is everything from Thumann's. But the hot dogs have a reputation. Where I live, I can get all kinds of products from Kunzler, including poultry franks, but I can't get their regular hot dogs. Do you know why this is?

chicagostyledog

• Total Posts: 3218
                          RE: thumann's hot dogs Thu, 08/25/05 1:43 PM (permalink)
                          John, hot dogs in retail packs have a shelf life of two weeks, unless frozen after purchase. Once expired, the retailer must remove the product from the shelf. Fresh deli meats are displayed in a case and cut for the customer. They generally sell out long before their expiration dates.

philh2o

• Total Posts: 10
                            RE: thumann's hot dogs Wed, 08/31/05 5:22 PM (permalink)
                            Thumann's are easily available in the Denver area at Albertson's supermarkets. Others likely but I've not need to look further.

joesinger

• Total Posts: 1
                              RE: thumann's hot dogs Thu, 01/10/08 12:34 PM (permalink)
                              I moved to Florida about eight years ago from New Jersey and have lorned for the great taste of a Thumanns hot dog. I cannot get them anywhere near to my home but if I could find a place on the other side of the state I would travel to purchase them. I love them that much! Your idea sound great to me and would have a steady customer.

Baah Ben

• Total Posts: 3026
                                RE: thumann's hot dogs Wed, 01/23/08 1:44 AM (permalink)
                                Joe - you are going to have a tough time finding them in Florida. I am from NJ also and loved Thuman's naural casing griddle franks and the ones that are deep fried, too. Publix has Boar's Head natural casing pork hot dogs which are the closest you are going to get. Careful because they also sell a all beef natural casing one, too. They make a very good product.

I survive on Nathan's natural casing all beef hot dogs that I get a Publix. But, I always look forward to a trip home to NJ for some deep fried dogs at Hirum's in Ft. Lee.

MiamiDon

RE: thumann's hot dogs Wed, 01/23/08 9:33 AM (permalink)
                                  quote:
                                  Originally posted by Baah Ben

Joe - you are going to have a tough time finding them in Florida. I am from NJ also and loved Thuman's naural casing griddle franks and the ones that are deep fried, too. Publix has Boar's Head natural casing pork hot dogs which are the closest you are going to get. Careful because they also sell a all beef natural casing one, too. They make a very good product.

I survive on Nathan's natural casing all beef hot dogs that I get a Publix. But, I always look forward to a trip home to NJ for some deep fried dogs at Hirum's in Ft. Lee.

Until I stumbled on to Holly Eats, I had never seen or heard of a deep-fried hot dog. Am I correct that Thumann makes one specially for deep-frying? What is different about it from the rest of their line?

John Fox

RE: thumann's hot dogs Wed, 01/23/08 12:00 PM (permalink)
                                    The dog made for deep frying has 2 ingredients to aid in frying that their other dogs do not have. They have slightly more pork than their griller and are also made a little milder in order to pick up some of the flavor of the cooking oil. They are alo able to withstand better the high temperatures of deep frying.

sk bob

• Total Posts: 1801
                                      RE: thumann's hot dogs Thu, 01/24/08 9:33 AM (permalink)
                                      lets have an address or phone # to order some.
                                      I'lltake at least 2 packages of frying dogs
                                      I've got the deep fryer warming up here in Daytona Beach Fla.

JakerDog

• Total Posts: 204
                                        RE: thumann's hot dogs Sat, 01/26/08 8:53 PM (permalink)
                                        No doubt! I only buy all beef hotdogs and Thumanns to me is a top dog with Bests, Nathans and Hebrew National on the list. I live in NJ and Taylor Pork Roll is bascially a staple I think it would be a hit all over the US. There is another Roadfood link where Pork Roll is the topic.

leethebard

• Total Posts: 6080
                                          RE: thumann's hot dogs Sat, 01/26/08 9:17 PM (permalink)
                                          Thumanns is a superior hot dog and deserves to be shipped to hot dog lovers evrywhere. Share the Great Jersey dog with the world.
                                          I had a friend who worked in the factory...and said he was proud to eat any Thumann's product. He hated the thought of Bologna..and what went into it...but he would eat Thumann's bologna. Thumann's products are great. By the way, the best one's are the natural casing dogs!!!

Cosmos

• Total Posts: 1448
                                            RE: thumann's hot dogs Sun, 01/27/08 11:12 AM (permalink)
                                            I'd love to be able to compare them to my deli favorites from Liehs and Steigerwalds in Syracuse. I know John order some from L&S to test now its my turn...

Though I do like that fact that I can go talk to the guy who makes my sausages (when I'm not making them myself)..

John Fox

RE: thumann's hot dogs Sun, 01/27/08 11:43 AM (permalink)
                                              It's been awhile since I've had franks from Liehs & Steigerwald. But I did compare them to Thumanns and I still prefer Thumanns. Depends on your taste and the kind of spicing you prefer. Last time I had a lot of the L&S dogs. Very good, but the more I eat them the more I notice a lot of garlic and vinegar. Still exceptional.

agnesrob

• Total Posts: 1790
                                                RE: thumann's hot dogs Sun, 01/27/08 12:16 PM (permalink)
                                                Thuman's is definately my favorite but I just tried a pack of Shaller & Weber's natural casing weiners. I like them alot.

sk bob

• Total Posts: 1801
                                                  RE: thumann's hot dogs Sun, 01/27/08 8:58 PM (permalink)
                                                  I didn't notice this was an old post. T & D is probably out of business now or they don't care.
                                                  4 posts,great marketing.

Cosmos

• Total Posts: 1448
                                                    RE: thumann's hot dogs Tue, 06/10/08 12:46 PM (permalink)
                                                    Well, I finally had a couple Thumanns Saturday night. I was at Watkins Glen, flagging for the Sahlens six hours of endurance for the Rolex Grand Am series. Ironic that it was sponsored by Sahlens (I've had their dogs at the concession stands....eh....).

So afterwards, I joined a couple of my fellow flaggers at the camp where I was invited to dine on hotdogs, swill some Yuenglings and Molsons and watch old episodes of Top Gear. I had no idea what I was getting, but at the first bite, I said whoa..this is better than I was expecting...My friend then said they were Thumanns. I can say I very much enjoyed them, nice snap, juicy, very full and round flavor.

Now I have to get him to bring more for the July 4th IndyCar weekend...I'll bring the Liehs and Steigerwalds and have a back to back comparison. Oh and I have to bring better mustard, that yellow stuff didn't do much to help the tasting...

leethebard

• Total Posts: 6080
                                                      RE: thumann's hot dogs Tue, 06/10/08 2:54 PM (permalink)
                                                      At this rate,the secret of the great Jersey hot dog will be out and the whole world will know!!!!! What's next...give the world Springstein and Sinatra?????

corynn

• Total Posts: 1
                                                        • Location: setauket, NY
                                                        RE: thumann's hot dogs Fri, 06/13/08 10:01 AM (permalink)
                                                        I live in Long Island, NY but originally from NJ-My best summer memories are Thumanns Hot dogs on the grill. I cannot find them anywhere here and I'm so disappointed. Are there any stores that carry Thumanns on Long Island???

roossy90

• Total Posts: 6695
                                                          • Location: columbus, oh
                                                          RE: thumann's hot dogs Fri, 06/13/08 10:37 PM (permalink)
                                                          quote:
                                                          Originally posted by sk bob

I didn't notice this was an old post. T & D is probably out of business now or they don't care.
                                                          4 posts,great marketing.

No doubt.....Funny how people dont read the dates on OP's...I have been guilty of that, and chastised.... now I check.

David_NYC

• Total Posts: 2162
                                                            • Location: New York, NY
                                                            RE: thumann's hot dogs Sun, 06/15/08 9:40 PM (permalink)
                                                            Corynn, Pathmark has been selling Thumann franks for some time out on Long Island. They were in the deli section and not with the Oscar Meyer, etc. Give the deli dept. a call before driving there.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                              Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 30 of 45

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com