Breezy Heights Tavern, Avella PA

Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
Author
californyguy
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 513
  • Joined: 2002/10/30 12:27:00
  • Location: sacramenty , CA
  • Status: offline
2008/10/08 17:50:00 (permalink)

Breezy Heights Tavern, Avella PA

This old roadhouse, founded in 1927, has some of the best food and old time ambience you will find anywhere.Located off the beaten track somewhere between Washington Pa and the Wellsburg/Wheeling area,the place features a full menu (including beef they raise themselves) , but the specialty of the house is `broasted chicken' which is incredibly tender and tasty. Also do not miss the sides esp the homemade mashed potatos with gravy or the delectable green bean casserole.....this place is tops- would love to see the Sterns stop by and give it a proper review sometime
#1

60 Replies Related Threads

    myterry2
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 532
    • Joined: 2007/04/15 10:14:00
    • Location: Lake Forest, IL
    • Status: offline
    RE: Breezy Heights Tavern, Avella PA 2008/10/08 18:08:02 (permalink)
    Pictures????????
    #2
    tkitna
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 632
    • Joined: 2004/06/10 22:39:00
    • Location: wellsburg, WV
    • Status: offline
    RE: Breezy Heights Tavern, Avella PA 2008/10/09 04:16:35 (permalink)
    I've threatened to take pictures of Breezys for a year or so now and still havent. I have to do it so that everybody can see the wild animal display. I'm talking about Lions, Bears, Leopards, Zebras, Elephant feet, etc,,,. The owner (who I believe has passed) used to be a big game hunter.

    Yes, the Chicken is what they are known for.
    #3
    buffetbuster
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10280
    • Joined: 2002/05/09 13:42:00
    • Location: Pittsburgh, PA
    • Status: offline
    RE: Breezy Heights Tavern, Avella PA 2008/10/09 06:54:34 (permalink)
    I've never even heard of this place before and I only live about an hour away. It sounds terrific, though. Let's see what I can do about getting there next week and taking some photos.
    #4
    californyguy
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 513
    • Joined: 2002/10/30 12:27:00
    • Location: sacramenty , CA
    • Status: offline
    RE: Breezy Heights Tavern, Avella PA 2008/10/09 08:03:43 (permalink)
    That would be great buffetmaster!someday i will have to learn more of the computer /photo thing...Anyway there are at least three spots to eat there the nice cozy bar, or the main room with the animals and the little roadhouse style booths ( I love those),,,the third area is a somewhat recent addition where I would only sit if I had to. Can't wait for your report!
    #5
    MetroplexJim
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4088
    • Joined: 2007/06/24 08:45:00
    • Location: McKinney, TX
    • Status: offline
    RE: Breezy Heights Tavern, Avella PA 2008/10/09 08:07:46 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by buffetbuster

    I've never even heard of this place before and I only live about an hour away. It sounds terrific, though. Let's see what I can do about getting there next week and taking some photos.


    Thanks! You take beautiful pics.

    I was born in Eighty-Four and remember passing through Avella many times on the way to Wheeling Downs. Watch out for Tridelphia's speed-trap; I'm sure Officer Muldoon is no longer with us, but as the speed trap was Tridelphia's primary source of revenue, I'm sure the "franchise" is still operating!
    #6
    buffetbuster
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10280
    • Joined: 2002/05/09 13:42:00
    • Location: Pittsburgh, PA
    • Status: offline
    RE: Breezy Heights Tavern, Avella PA 2008/10/09 08:13:48 (permalink)
    californyguy-
    It sounds like the main dining room with the old booths and all the animals in it is the place to sit. Thanks for bringing this place up!

    MetroplexJim-
    Thanks for the compliment! A buddy of mine from college grew up in Eighty-Four. Nice area down there. Have you ever been to Spring House? I don't care for their regular food very much, but they make wonderful desserts.

    http://www.springhousemarket.com/
    #7
    Mosca
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2980
    • Joined: 2004/05/26 23:44:00
    • Location: Mountain Top, PA
    • Status: offline
    RE: Breezy Heights Tavern, Avella PA 2008/10/09 10:04:09 (permalink)
    Yeah, Eighty Four. We used to go down Gill Hall Rd and pick up 88 in Finleyville, hang around Green Man and spook ourselves, then drive over to Canonsburg and go fishing in the reservoir (never caught anything there, though).

    Those were the days (early '70s).
    #8
    tkitna
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 632
    • Joined: 2004/06/10 22:39:00
    • Location: wellsburg, WV
    • Status: offline
    RE: Breezy Heights Tavern, Avella PA 2008/10/10 08:44:05 (permalink)
    Buffetbuster, if you do get down this area, you need to try the ribs at Hogfathers in Washington PA too. I've been meaning to tell you about that place, but i'm always a day late and a dollar short.

    Definately take some pictures if you hit Breezys. I'm not very good at the pictures/computer thing yet.
    #9
    MetroplexJim
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4088
    • Joined: 2007/06/24 08:45:00
    • Location: McKinney, TX
    • Status: offline
    RE: Breezy Heights Tavern, Avella PA 2008/10/10 09:11:05 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by buffetbuster

    californyguy-
    It sounds like the main dining room with the old booths and all the animals in it is the place to sit. Thanks for bringing this place up!

    MetroplexJim-
    Thanks for the compliment! A buddy of mine from college grew up in Eighty-Four. Nice area down there. Have you ever been to Spring House? I don't care for their regular food very much, but they make wonderful desserts.

    http://www.springhousemarket.com/



    Never been to The Spring House (founded 1975), but before it became the Spring House it was a fruit and vegetable stand which my parents and grandparents often patronized when I was a kid (1950's). I'm sure the family's name will come to me later, but the owners were very entrepreneurial - they had a dairy farm, grew, retailed and wholesaled "truck farm" crops, and had a dog kennel "on the side"!
    #10
    blue heaven
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 491
    • Joined: 2007/03/04 10:21:00
    • Location: Pompano Beach, FL
    • Status: offline
    RE: Breezy Heights Tavern, Avella PA 2008/10/10 09:12:19 (permalink)
    Hi all I am from Washington Pa. Have any of you been to the Union Grill or Angelos (third generation family owned)? Both are great quaint little places.
    #11
    buffetbuster
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10280
    • Joined: 2002/05/09 13:42:00
    • Location: Pittsburgh, PA
    • Status: offline
    RE: Breezy Heights Tavern, Avella PA 2008/10/10 09:59:13 (permalink)
    blue heaven-
    I just went to Union Grill in Washington for the first time a few weeks ago. That is where my girlfriend took me for my birthday. There were five of us and everyone liked their food. The one downer was that a waitress slipped and most of her tray fell on top of me. Luckily, no food landed on me, just the beverages. They were very apologetic.

    I'm not familiar with Angelo's. Can you tell me more about it?

    tkitna-
    My gf lives on the Washington County line, so it is an easy drive for us down there. Never heard of Hogfather's, but it sounds like it may be my kind of place.
    #12
    blue heaven
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 491
    • Joined: 2007/03/04 10:21:00
    • Location: Pompano Beach, FL
    • Status: offline
    RE: Breezy Heights Tavern, Avella PA 2008/10/10 12:30:12 (permalink)
    Hi BB Angelo's is an Italian restaurant and I believe it is on Chestnut street. Michael Passalacqua owns it(went to high school with him.) His father owned it before him and his grandparents before and so on. I believe it first opened in the 1920's and just served spaghetti and meatballs. I think you can google it and get the menu which has greatly expanded. When I was little I used to love to go there and their house salad came with a little wedge of provolone and a piece of pepperoni. Let me know if you if you and check it out.
    #13
    eruby
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 659
    • Joined: 2008/02/28 09:41:00
    • Location: Carroll County, People's Republic of Maryland
    • Status: offline
    RE: Breezy Heights Tavern, Avella PA 2008/10/10 12:43:26 (permalink)
    You can't argue with a 'Golden Chicken'

    http://www.broaster.com/oa0014.htm
    #14
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10250
    • Joined: 2006/09/01 14:56:00
    • Location: Gilbert, AZ
    • Status: offline
    RE: Breezy Heights Tavern, Avella PA 2008/10/10 12:58:33 (permalink)
    AAH! Western PA, nothing like it! Born & raised there and lived there for 33 years. Youze guys take me back to some fond memories--The towns, the people, the lifestyle, the food, the Steelers! There are times I wish I was back there and their are times I'm glad I'm not(Like WINTER!)
    #15
    blue heaven
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 491
    • Joined: 2007/03/04 10:21:00
    • Location: Pompano Beach, FL
    • Status: offline
    RE: Breezy Heights Tavern, Avella PA 2008/10/10 15:20:32 (permalink)
    Welcome Foodbme...what town are you from in PA?? I am from Washington (little washpa)and I am a yinzer. I live in Deerfield Beach Florida now.
    #16
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10250
    • Joined: 2006/09/01 14:56:00
    • Location: Gilbert, AZ
    • Status: offline
    RE: Breezy Heights Tavern, Avella PA 2008/10/10 15:34:14 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by blue heaven

    Welcome Foodbme...what town are you from in PA?? I am from Washington (little washpa)and I am a yinzer. I live in Deerfield Beach Florida now.


    I'm from St Marys, PA. Beer & Deer Country. www.straubbeer.com

    Lived in Indiana, Uniontown, Sharon, Warren,Youngstown, Butler, Punxatawney & Parkersburg WV! My sister-in law lives in McMurray and my Mother-In-Law is from Turtle Creek!
    #17
    blue heaven
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 491
    • Joined: 2007/03/04 10:21:00
    • Location: Pompano Beach, FL
    • Status: offline
    RE: Breezy Heights Tavern, Avella PA 2008/10/10 15:38:09 (permalink)
    Great link foodbme....never heard of that beer...I am an Iron (ARN) City girl.
    #18
    MetroplexJim
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4088
    • Joined: 2007/06/24 08:45:00
    • Location: McKinney, TX
    • Status: offline
    RE: Breezy Heights Tavern, Avella PA 2008/10/10 17:52:05 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by eruby

    You can't argue with a 'Golden Chicken'

    http://www.broaster.com/oa0014.htm


    They serve BROASTED CHICKEN! Pick that joint up and move it to Dallas! That is the BEST chicken. Eat with sour cream or honey or "nuttin'".

    http://roadfooddigest.com/post/2008/04/Bon-Ton-News-Alert.aspx

    http://roadfood.com/Forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=19935&whichpage=2&SearchTerms=broasted%2Cchicken
    #19
    MetroplexJim
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4088
    • Joined: 2007/06/24 08:45:00
    • Location: McKinney, TX
    • Status: offline
    RE: Breezy Heights Tavern, Avella PA 2008/10/10 18:22:10 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Foodbme

    AAH! Western PA, nothing like it! Born & raised there and lived there for 33 years. Youze guys take me back to some fond memories--The towns, the people, the lifestyle, the food, the Steelers! There are times I wish I was back there and their are times I'm glad I'm not(Like WINTER!)


    Enjoy:

    http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=myron+cope+sounds&aq=4&oq=myron+cope

    http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=bob+prince+sound&aq=f&oq=

    http://cordic-and-co.com/

    http://www.regecordic.com/

    http://theburghblog.com/the-lexicon/

    You must have stopped in Brooklyn on your way to the desert: "Youze guys" = "Yinz" in da Burgh.

    #20
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10250
    • Joined: 2006/09/01 14:56:00
    • Location: Gilbert, AZ
    • Status: offline
    RE: Breezy Heights Tavern, Avella PA 2008/10/10 18:27:47 (permalink)
    [:I
    quote:
    Originally posted by blue heaven

    Great link foodbme....never heard of that beer...I am an Iron (ARN) City girl.


    They Call it ARN City because it's made with rusty water from the Allegheny River, (Used that one because I can't spel the other one, Mono???). It's sold in the Pittsurgh Area if you get back up there.
    #21
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10250
    • Joined: 2006/09/01 14:56:00
    • Location: Gilbert, AZ
    • Status: offline
    RE: Breezy Heights Tavern, Avella PA 2008/10/10 18:42:44 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by MetroplexJim

    quote:
    Originally posted by Foodbme

    AAH! Western PA, nothing like it! Born & raised there and lived there for 33 years. Youze guys take me back to some fond memories--The towns, the people, the lifestyle, the food, the Steelers! There are times I wish I was back there and their are times I'm glad I'm not(Like WINTER!)


    Enjoy:

    http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=myron+cope+sounds&aq=4&oq=myron+cope

    http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=bob+prince+sound&aq=f&oq=

    http://cordic-and-co.com/

    http://www.regecordic.com/

    http://theburghblog.com/the-lexicon/

    You must have stopped in Brooklyn on your way to the desert: "Youze guys" = "Yinz" in da Burgh.


    I remember now! I spent 6 years in Joersey & NYC and get them confused. Seniorheimers!
    #22
    Mosca
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2980
    • Joined: 2004/05/26 23:44:00
    • Location: Mountain Top, PA
    • Status: offline
    RE: Breezy Heights Tavern, Avella PA 2008/10/10 21:05:15 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by MetroplexJim

    quote:
    Originally posted by Foodbme

    AAH! Western PA, nothing like it! Born & raised there and lived there for 33 years. Youze guys take me back to some fond memories--The towns, the people, the lifestyle, the food, the Steelers! There are times I wish I was back there and their are times I'm glad I'm not(Like WINTER!)


    Enjoy:

    http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=myron+cope+sounds&aq=4&oq=myron+cope

    http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=bob+prince+sound&aq=f&oq=

    http://cordic-and-co.com/

    http://www.regecordic.com/

    http://theburghblog.com/the-lexicon/

    You must have stopped in Brooklyn on your way to the desert: "Youze guys" = "Yinz" in da Burgh.




    Dude; Pittsburgh, home of the first radio call in talk show ever....


    [url='http://cordic-and-co.com/aco/ed_n_wendy.htm']Ed and Wendy King, "Party Line"[/url]
    #23
    eruby
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 659
    • Joined: 2008/02/28 09:41:00
    • Location: Carroll County, People's Republic of Maryland
    • Status: offline
    RE: Breezy Heights Tavern, Avella PA 2008/10/11 09:29:45 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Foodbme

    quote:
    Originally posted by blue heaven

    Great link foodbme....never heard of that beer...I am an Iron (ARN) City girl.


    They Call it ARN City because it's made with rusty water from the Allegheny River, (Used that one because I can't spel the other one, Mono???). It's sold in the Pittsurgh Area if you get back up there.
    Spelling the other river is easy. It's 'The Mon'
    #24
    badseed555
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 44
    • Joined: 2008/07/24 08:22:00
    • Location: oxford, PA
    • Status: offline
    RE: Breezy Heights Tavern, Avella PA 2008/10/11 10:07:15 (permalink)
    I haven't thought of Party Line in ages, used to listen every October for the ghost stories and the Halloween special.

    I'm from Butler and lived in Pgh for years, I miss so many things about Pgh but most of all, fish sandwiches in Lent, Pizza from Aiello's.

    Do any Western Pa natives remember the Hot Dog Shop in Butler? I miss this place most of all but sadly, it's closed forever. Is there a forum for Western Pa memories?
    #25
    MetroplexJim
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4088
    • Joined: 2007/06/24 08:45:00
    • Location: McKinney, TX
    • Status: offline
    RE: Breezy Heights Tavern, Avella PA 2008/10/11 10:51:47 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Mosca

    quote:
    Originally posted by MetroplexJim

    quote:
    Originally posted by Foodbme

    AAH! Western PA, nothing like it! Born & raised there and lived there for 33 years. Youze guys take me back to some fond memories--The towns, the people, the lifestyle, the food, the Steelers! There are times I wish I was back there and their are times I'm glad I'm not(Like WINTER!)


    Enjoy:

    http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=myron+cope+sounds&aq=4&oq=myron+cope

    http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=bob+prince+sound&aq=f&oq=

    http://cordic-and-co.com/

    http://www.regecordic.com/

    http://theburghblog.com/the-lexicon/

    You must have stopped in Brooklyn on your way to the desert: "Youze guys" = "Yinz" in da Burgh.




    Dude; Pittsburgh, home of the first radio call in talk show ever....


    [url='http://cordic-and-co.com/aco/ed_n_wendy.htm']Ed and Wendy King, "Party Line"[/url]


    I started going to sleep with Ed & Wendy and waking up with Rege Cordic when I was 9. In between I listened to Bob Prince and Jim "the Possum" Woods colorfully describing the travails of the (then) Mighty Buccos. I remember that my primary anxiety in moving from Eighty-Four "up" to New Wilmington was: "Do they get KDKA up there?".
    #26
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10250
    • Joined: 2006/09/01 14:56:00
    • Location: Gilbert, AZ
    • Status: offline
    RE: Breezy Heights Tavern, Avella PA 2008/10/11 12:03:05 (permalink)
    And how could we forget the Father of Sports Radio, Rosie Rosewell. He was Bob Prince and Joe Buck's Mentor. Taught them how to call a baseball game. He was famous for his unique sayings like "it's the old dipsy doodle, he swings and misses for strike three". And, "open the windows aunt Minnie, here she comes, it's a home run" when a Pirate would hit a long one.
    #27
    Frankman
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 300
    • Joined: 2002/09/21 22:21:00
    • Location: Beacon Falls, CT
    • Status: offline
    RE: Breezy Heights Tavern, Avella PA 2008/10/11 12:37:10 (permalink)
    Nice trip report Califoryguy. There's nothing like fresh made broasted chicken.
    #28
    MetroplexJim
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4088
    • Joined: 2007/06/24 08:45:00
    • Location: McKinney, TX
    • Status: offline
    RE: Breezy Heights Tavern, Avella PA 2008/10/12 07:13:51 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by badseed555

    Is there a forum for Western Pa memories?


    I haven't seen one, but I'll create one this morning under "Miscellaneous - Food Related".

    There are Pittsburgh expatriates all over the country, that's why the Steelers seem to have a "home field advantage" even when they play away. Here in Collin County (suburb North of Dallas) I have noticed three sports bars which advertise "All Steelers Games!". No other "foreign" team is so featured here in the heart of Cowboy Country.

    The population of Greater Pittsburgh is pretty much the same as when I left for graduate school in 1969: 2,000,000. Had the career prospects been there I would have returned, but the grass was greener in Northern Virginia. Had the Pittsburgh economy not been affliced by "hardening of the arteries" the population would have been 4,000,000 by now. Interestingly, my four children - all born and raised in Redskin Country - are all Steelers fans!

    Sad, but true: the major industry in Greater Pittsburgh is now health care for its aging population. In my youth Pennsylvania had the same number of Electoral Votes as California and Texas was just another "Southern state". I figure that I am just one among several million scattered about the Sun Belt who still consider Pittsburgh my home. Times indeed have changed, but our loyalties never will.
    #29
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10250
    • Joined: 2006/09/01 14:56:00
    • Location: Gilbert, AZ
    • Status: offline
    RE: Breezy Heights Tavern, Avella PA 2008/10/12 15:30:14 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by MetroplexJim

    quote:
    Originally posted by badseed555

    Is there a forum for Western Pa memories?


    I haven't seen one, but I'll create one this morning under "Miscellaneous - Food Related".

    There are Pittsburgh expatriates all over the country, that's why the Steelers seem to have a "home field advantage" even when they play away. Here in Collin County (suburb North of Dallas) I have noticed three sports bars which advertise "All Steelers Games!". No other "foreign" team is so featured here in the heart of Cowboy Country.

    The population of Greater Pittsburgh is pretty much the same as when I left for graduate school in 1969: 2,000,000. Had the career prospects been there I would have returned, but the grass was greener in Northern Virginia. Had the Pittsburgh economy not been affliced by "hardening of the arteries" the population would have been 4,000,000 by now. Interestingly, my four children - all born and raised in Redskin Country - are all Steelers fans!

    Sad, but true: the major industry in Greater Pittsburgh is now health care for its aging population. In my youth Pennsylvania had the same number of Electoral Votes as California and Texas was just another "Southern state". I figure that I am just one among several million scattered about the Sun Belt who still consider Pittsburgh my home. Times indeed have changed, but our loyalties never will.


    Excellent Synopsis!
    #30
    Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1