The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider

"Building" The Next Contingent Tour(s)...OMG that heading is so clever ***snicker***.

Change Page: 123456 > | Showing page 1 of 6, messages 1 to 30 of 152
BuddyRoadhouse

• Total Posts: 4074
"Building" The Next Contingent Tour(s)...OMG that heading is so clever ***snicker***. Thu, 07/18/13 5:47 PM (permalink)
First of all, MilwFoodlovers gets full credit for this concept.  The only reason I’m starting this thread is because I know our group needs plenty of advance warning to make a commitment, so here’s your notification.  Anytime MFL wants to jump in and take charge I will be more than happy to step out of the way.

MFL recently sent me a link to an interesting event ( http://doorsopenmilwaukee.org/buildings/ )

I thought this would be a good outing around which to build a Roadfood tour.  The idea would be to visit a building; go get something to eat; visit a building; go get something to eat; visit a building; go get something to eat; etc.  We’d pick four or five buildings to tour, match up a restaurant that is nearby or on the way to the next stop, and build a day around that.

The tour runs on both Saturday and Sunday, September 21 & 22.  Look at your calendars and see which date works best.

Also, Chicago is offering a similar tour ( http://www.openhousechicago.org/ ) on October 19 & 20, also a Saturday and Sunday.  The question is, shall we do one or the other, or both.

I’m encouraging full input on all issues: Milwaukee or Chicago (or both), which dates, which buildings to visit, and which restaurants to be included on the list.  Our last couple tours were huge successes, not just because of the food, but because of the in-between stops that gave us some breathing room.  This is a prime opportunity, made for Roadfooding.  Let’s grab it by the horns and go for a ride!

Buddy

ann peeples

• Total Posts: 8317
    Re:"Building" The Next Contingent Tour(s)...OMG that heading is so clever ***snicker***. Thu, 07/18/13 7:20 PM (permalink)
    What an awesome idea!

abe_froeman

• Total Posts: 694
      Re:"Building" The Next Contingent Tour(s)...OMG that heading is so clever ***snicker***. Thu, 07/18/13 8:42 PM (permalink)
      I'm in for doing both!

ScreamingChicken

• Total Posts: 4712
        Re:"Building" The Next Contingent Tour(s)...OMG that heading is so clever ***snicker***. Fri, 07/19/13 9:06 AM (permalink)
        The Sept. tour in MKE sounds interesting but I/we would only be able to participate on the 21st.  Weatherwise the Chicago version sounds like it could potentially be a little more iffy but those dates are (so far) open.

BuddyRoadhouse

Re:"Building" The Next Contingent Tour(s)...OMG that heading is so clever ***snicker***. Fri, 07/19/13 1:58 PM (permalink)
          ChickenPerson,

I'm only proposing doing one day per tour, so the 21st is fine if the majority go for that.

You're sort of right about Chicago's weather issues.  If we're having a rainy autumn, it will be miserable.  However, if we're having a dry spell, it will be glorious!  Anybody got a Farmer's Almanac handy to see what they're predicting for late October in the upper Midwest?

Buddy

CajunKing

• Total Posts: 6317
            • Roadfood Insider
            Re:"Building" The Next Contingent Tour(s)...OMG that heading is so clever ***snicker***. Fri, 07/19/13 5:02 PM (permalink)
            Ben's almanac has above avg temps and below avg precip for October.

BuddyRoadhouse

Re:"Building" The Next Contingent Tour(s)...OMG that heading is so clever ***snicker***. Fri, 07/19/13 6:34 PM (permalink)
              Thanks CK!  Can we count on you to make the trip north and join us?

Buddy

CajunKing

• Total Posts: 6317
                • Roadfood Insider
                Re:"Building" The Next Contingent Tour(s)...OMG that heading is so clever ***snicker***. Fri, 07/19/13 7:20 PM (permalink)
                Buddy

I would love to make it north, but I am saving myself for a 3 week adventure in TN-AL-MS-AR in October/November.

I do need to get up to a contingent event, I miss the old home town.

You always seem to have a great time, I will get there for at least on of your future adventures.

X1

• Total Posts: 937
                  Re:"Building" The Next Contingent Tour(s)...OMG that heading is so clever ***snicker***. Sat, 07/20/13 5:31 PM (permalink)
                  I'm interested in both, but really can't commit to anything quite so far in advance.
                  I'll keep checking back. 

JRPfeff

• Total Posts: 2368
                    Re:"Building" The Next Contingent Tour(s)...OMG that heading is so clever ***snicker***. Sat, 07/20/13 8:53 PM (permalink)
                    We are in - maybe.

MilwFoodlovers

• Total Posts: 3090
                      Re:"Building" The Next Contingent Tour(s)...OMG that heading is so clever ***snicker***. Sun, 07/21/13 8:26 AM (permalink)
                      I had more fun exploring my own home town last year that I'm in. Across the street from St. Josaphat's Basilica (awe inspiring) we found a Salvadorian restaurant that offered some unusual and tasty dishes. I'm looking forward  to this one. This is a chance to get inside doors that my not always be open i.e. the Allen-Bradley Clock. However, you'll find some sites too popular for a fun and quick visit so I encourage you to consider the more quirky venues for a better experience. There are few parts of Milwaukee that doesn't have a good restaurant I'd be happy to recommend or at least tell you about. This tour btw should be titled the MFL Working Farewell Tour as my last day working for pay will be  Friday the 20th!!!!!!!!!

BuddyRoadhouse

Re:"Building" The Next Contingent Tour(s)...OMG that heading is so clever ***snicker***. Sun, 07/21/13 2:24 PM (permalink)
                        MFL,
                        Congratulations (I hope it's a good thing) on your retirement!  I hope that will free you up to take a strong leadership role on this tour.  This poor Flatlander wouldn't even know where to begin organizing an Architecture/Food tour of your hometown.  Your few sentences above contain more valuable information than I could contribute in a hundred posts.  I'm here to help, but I'm also ready to get out of the way for a real Milwaukee Master.

If the group decides to do the Chicago Tour in October, I'll work with abe_foreman (most of you may not know this, but my kid is an architecture nut!) and any of the other FIBs who want to get involved.

Buddy

ann peeples

Re:"Building" The Next Contingent Tour(s)...OMG that heading is so clever ***snicker***. Sun, 07/21/13 7:02 PM (permalink)
                          Congrats, Mike. I will for sure be on this one to celebrate your retirement! And Buddy-very interested in the Chicago version, if I can pull it off!

quijote

• Total Posts: 643
                            Re:"Building" The Next Contingent Tour(s)...OMG that heading is so clever ***snicker***. Sun, 07/21/13 10:18 PM (permalink)
                            Mr Sancho Pancho and I are planning to do some Doors Open Milwaukee things anyhow, so I'm sure we can join in at least part of a tour on either day.  We have about 6-8 places that we want to try to see this time around, but we can schedule some of these for the non-RF day if they're not chosen for the tour. Most of the buildings on the Doors Open list are either downtown or on the near south side, so that should help simplify food choices and transportation issues a bit.

BuddyRoadhouse

Re:"Building" The Next Contingent Tour(s)...OMG that heading is so clever ***snicker***. Sun, 07/21/13 10:25 PM (permalink)
                              q-
                              Don't keep your picks a secret.  All ideas are welcome at this point.  The list can get narrowed down as the tour date approaches.

Buddy

quijote

Re:"Building" The Next Contingent Tour(s)...OMG that heading is so clever ***snicker***. Sun, 07/21/13 11:26 PM (permalink)
                                There are so many possibilities with this tour. Some of the sites Sancho Panza and I are interested in are Best Place at Pabst Brewery, Pabst Boiler House, Gas Light Bldg, Germania Bldg, Humphrey Scottish Rite Masonic Ctr, the Mitchell Bldg, National Ace Hardware, and the Railway Exchange. It would also be cool to see the historic buildings (AO Smith, etc.) at Century City (on the near north side), but hours are limited (Sat 10-2) and it isn't convenient to other sites. The Port of Mke tour also looks interesting to us, but the appeal to others could be limited.

Sancho and I can work around the preferences and schedules of other RFers, though, and we can break away and reunite as needed throughout the day.

A few recommended sites include many of the iconic Milwaukee buildings-- the Basilica, the Tripoli Shrine, City Hall, Northwestern Mutual, Water Tower, US Bank Center (more for panoramic views).

Maybe one of the stops could be the Clock Shadow Building, which will include samples from Purple Door Creamery. The Public Market is another food-related site on the list.

It'll be interesting to see how all this pans out-- so many good buildings to see in just one weekend.

quijote

Re:"Building" The Next Contingent Tour(s)...OMG that heading is so clever ***snicker***. Mon, 07/22/13 3:53 PM (permalink)
                                  Something else to throw into the mix here:
                                  September 21 (Saturday) is the day of the Bay View Bash, a street festival on several blocks of Kinnickinnic Ave.:
                                  http://onmilwaukee.com/seasonal/festivals/articles/bayviewbash.html
                                  Sancho and I will probably want to attend sometime during the afternoon or evening. Maybe it's worth considering as a stop for the tour?

ann peeples

Re:"Building" The Next Contingent Tour(s)...OMG that heading is so clever ***snicker***. Tue, 07/23/13 7:20 AM (permalink)
                                    Loved the "Bash" while living in Bay View! This could be an easy tour for all of us as a lot of the buildings available are easily within driving distance-not to mention great restaurants.

MilwFoodlovers

• Total Posts: 3090
                                      Re:"Building" The Next Contingent Tour(s)...OMG that heading is so clever ***snicker***. Wed, 07/24/13 10:10 AM (permalink)
                                      Oh uh. I love both the Bay View Bash http://www.bayviewbash.org/
                                      and the Global Union World Festival http://alvernopresents.alverno.edu/store/product/global-union
                                      I'm disappointed that 3 don't miss things to do are scheduled at the same time. The Bay View Bash and Global Union World Festival are within walking distance of one another and both offer great food. I'm afraid I'd only be able to commit to the Sunday Doors Open date.

ann peeples

Re:"Building" The Next Contingent Tour(s)...OMG that heading is so clever ***snicker***. Wed, 07/24/13 7:40 PM (permalink)
                                        Just doing the festivals would be fun......but the building thing is such a cool concept for a tour......

cjucoder

• Total Posts: 162
                                          Re:"Building" The Next Contingent Tour(s)...OMG that heading is so clever ***snicker***. Wed, 07/24/13 10:00 PM (permalink)
                                          I absolutely love this idea.  I love architecture, history of our city, and I completely believe in being a tourist in your own hometown.   I'm leaving town that weekend, not sure if I'm leaving Saturday or Sunday yet.  Also, I'm concerned I may physically have difficulties with this one.  I'll watch what you guys decide to do and I'll let you know as the details get ironed out.

quijote

Re:"Building" The Next Contingent Tour(s)...OMG that heading is so clever ***snicker***. Wed, 07/24/13 11:23 PM (permalink)
                                            MFL, thanks for posting the info on the Global Union World Festival-- it looks FUN and is only a block from the new home Sancho and I are buying. And as you say, it adds yet another great thing to do that weekend.

Because of this, perhaps we should do the RF Doors Open Tour on Sunday.

Or, RFers coming to Milwaukee can arrive on Saturday, enjoy perhaps a couple of buildings in the morning and then the two festivals in the pm (or continue seeing buildings, then meet up later). Visitors can always stay over Saturday eve, then continue on Sunday with a full day of buildings and eating.

Just FYI, some buildings closed on Saturday are: St. Josaphat's Basilica, the Cathedral, Humphrey Scottish Rite Masonic Center, the Grain Exchange (Mackie Bldg), Jewish Museum

Some buildings closed on Sunday are: St. Joan of Arc Chapel at MU, Pabst Boiler House, Germania Building, Golda Meir School, Central Library, Northwestern Mutual, North Point Water Tower

abe_froeman

Re:"Building" The Next Contingent Tour(s)...OMG that heading is so clever ***snicker***. Fri, 07/26/13 5:59 PM (permalink)
                                              quijote

MFL, thanks for posting the info on the Global Union World Festival-- it looks FUN and is only a block from the new home Sancho and I are buying. 

You found something?!?!

Spill the beans, Q!!!

(Oh, and congratulations!) 

abe_froeman

Re:"Building" The Next Contingent Tour(s)...OMG that heading is so clever ***snicker***. Fri, 07/26/13 6:01 PM (permalink)
                                                I'm going to print a list of all the Chicago sites next week and Buddy and I will go over it and narrow down some options!

pcdiva

• Total Posts: 591
                                                  Re:"Building" The Next Contingent Tour(s)...OMG that heading is so clever ***snicker***. Sat, 07/27/13 12:43 AM (permalink)
                                                  So if someone might be willing to pick me up at the airport and you decide to do Chicago in October, could a Georgia girl come and play with you guys? Notice I didn't say y'all because I wanted you to be able to understand me after being away for so long. September isn't going to work, but I might be able to make it in October. I would even be willing to get a rental vehicle if someone else drives on the tour! ;)
                                                  <message edited by pcdiva on Sat, 07/27/13 12:47 AM>

abe_froeman

Re:"Building" The Next Contingent Tour(s)...OMG that heading is so clever ***snicker***. Sat, 07/27/13 1:06 AM (permalink)
                                                    I'm sure we could make some arrangements!! 

pcdiva

• Total Posts: 591
                                                      Re:"Building" The Next Contingent Tour(s)...OMG that heading is so clever ***snicker***. Tue, 07/30/13 7:20 PM (permalink)
                                                      I will keep checking in then!

BuddyRoadhouse

• Location: Des Plaines, IL
                                                        Re:"Building" The Next Contingent Tour(s)...OMG that heading is so clever ***snicker***. Sat, 08/10/13 5:21 PM (permalink)
                                                        I hate to be the pushy guy here, but in order for me to insure I've got the day off for the September tour in Milwaukee, I need to give notification at work soon.

We're looking at Saturday, September 21st or Sunday, September 22nd.  Both days will leave someone out.  If we go on Saturday, MilwFoodlovers, who inspired this tour will be unable to attend.  If we go Sunday, ScreamingChicken is out of the picture.

Also, based on certain buildings being open on one day and not the other (St. Josaphat's Basilica in particular), I'm going to reluctantly cast my vote for Sunday the 22nd.

Let's get some chatter going on this issue and nail it down.  I need to turn in my September availability calendar by this Wednesday the 14th.

Buddy

ScreamingChicken

• Total Posts: 4712
                                                          • Location: Stoughton, WI
                                                          Re:"Building" The Next Contingent Tour(s)...OMG that heading is so clever ***snicker***. Sat, 08/10/13 7:25 PM (permalink)
                                                          I vote for the 22nd.

quijote

• Joined: 12/22/2007
                                                            • Location: Milwaukee, WI
                                                            Re:"Building" The Next Contingent Tour(s)...OMG that heading is so clever ***snicker***. Sat, 08/10/13 11:06 PM (permalink)
                                                            The 22nd works better for Sancho and me.  I'll be happy to help with planning, if desired.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                              Change Page: 123456 > | Showing page 1 of 6, messages 1 to 30 of 152

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com