Fast food workers call for higher wages

Author
Dr of BBQ
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3716
2012/11/29 18:19:08 (permalink)

Workers at some fast food restaurants in the New York City area walked off the job on Thursday. A large group gathered outside a McDonald's on Madison and 40th St. in Manhattan demanding higher wages and the approval of a workers union.

"They're giving us $7.25 an hour, so many of my co-workers are living on food stamps. You can't live on that in this city," a protester told Good Day NY.

The workers who say they don't make enough to put food on the table for their families would  like an increase in their hourly pay to $15.
Some franchise owners have said they'd have to hire fewer workers if the increase is approved. According to The New York Times, McDonald's said in a statement that it values its employees and remains committed to them.Union drives have been rare at fast food restaurants because turnover is high and few employees work full time.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Read more: http://www.myfoxny.com/story/20216614/fast-food-workers-protest-for-higher-wages#ixzz2DelrDdxA

13 Replies Related Threads

jcheese
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 759
    Re:Fast food workers call for higher wages 2012/11/29 18:49:48 (permalink)
    If you're so busy that you have to buy fast food, I'm guessing it's cuz you work so much. Which means you have money.
    If you buy fast food cuz you're poor and lazy(and probably obese) , learn to cook.
    If you're willing to work at the only job available, you should at least be able to survive.
    I say tax the fast food and subsidize fresh vegetables.
    Disclosure....I sell Hot Dogs.
    reese77
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 508
    Re:Fast food workers call for higher wages 2012/11/29 19:09:44 (permalink)
    Every time I allow myself have some fast food the idiots behind the counter either provide poor service or have attitudes so $7.25 is plenty. The majority of them are lazy as hell and I speak from having worked in that industry.
    Also having a family and thinking that you can work a regular 9-5 at a fast food joint in NY to support them, then your once again $7.25 is plenty. I worked at Arbys, Wendys and other crappy fast food joints when I was in high school and delivered pizza when I was in college. I would never plan on raising a family while at those jobs and not having an actual career or a successful business of my own.
    Demanding more money for your poor life decisions, give me a break.
    post edited by reese77 - 2012/11/29 19:11:21
    ProfitSee
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 24
    Re:Fast food workers call for higher wages 2012/11/29 19:17:44 (permalink)
    reese77
    the idiots behind the counter either provide poor service or have attitudes so $7.25 is plenty.

My thought exactly!
    They don't deserve a wage increase until McD improve customer service.
    Ice Cream Man
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1370
    Re:Fast food workers call for higher wages 2012/11/30 02:04:05 (permalink)
    You guys are pretty hard on people who may not have a choice.
    Not everyone can get an education or start a business.
    Businesses like McDonalds, Walmart and the like make wholesalers and employees suffer so they can knock pennys off their price.
    Then they make a big deal about donating to a charity when their employees need charity. Some of Sears, Walmart and Disneys  $1:00 an hour employees got burnt but what do they care.
    chefbuba
    • Total Posts : 1991
    Re:Fast food workers call for higher wages 2012/11/30 10:27:42 (permalink)
    ProfitSee

reese77
    the idiots behind the counter either provide poor service or have attitudes so $7.25 is plenty.

My thought exactly!
    They don't deserve a wage increase until McD improve customer service.

They make $9.04 here. I think WA has the highest minimum wage, and it is set to go up in 2013.
    Dr of BBQ
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Fast food workers call for higher wages 2012/11/30 13:05:07 (permalink)
    Fast Food isn't supposed to be the kind of place that you raise a family on. It's a job for those just entering the work force and after awhile you move on to a better job that pays better.
    Tristan225
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 352
    Re:Fast food workers call for higher wages 2012/11/30 23:03:55 (permalink)
    Except, it's not any more. All the jobs went to China. The average age for a fast food worker is 28.
    Dr of BBQ

Fast Food isn't supposed to be the kind of place that you raise a family on. It's a job for those just entering the work force and after awhile you move on to a better job that pays better.

Dr of BBQ
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Fast food workers call for higher wages 2012/11/30 23:13:51 (permalink)
    "All the jobs went to China."
    First all the jobs didn't go to China, and more importantly we have far to many uneducated/poorly educated young people in this country with little or no work ethic. That's the reason at 28 they are still in the fast food business.

My gosh this is the greatest country in the world, the only country with endless opportunities. If your a hard worker you can with dedication, self restraint, and patience own the company.   
    Ice Cream Man
    • Total Posts : 1370
    Re:Fast food workers call for higher wages 2012/12/01 21:22:18 (permalink)
    No all the jobs didn't go to China, just the good manufacturing jobs.
    Want proof look at your deficit and how much money you owe China. Up here we bought 45 billion from China and sold them 15 billion, not sustainable. You're under the impression that the bulk of the population is as smart as you are, in fact most people are only capable of working as food servers, ditch diggers or factory workers or there would be no employees.
    ann peeples
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 8329
    Re:Fast food workers call for higher wages 2012/12/02 00:03:07 (permalink)
    Your statement, Dr. of BBQ, is wrong. Food service is not easy. You know that. They work you like a dog, and for what? And if its a place just to start, and not hope to raise a family, then we are all wrong. I was a pretty well paid chef, timesgot tough, laid off. Took a job at half the salary I made.If what you are suggesting is the case, then why isnt every fast food place hiring 16 year olds?
    ann peeples
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 8329
    Re:Fast food workers call for higher wages 2012/12/02 00:03:16 (permalink)
    Your statement, Dr. of BBQ, is wrong. Food service is not easy. You know that. They work you like a dog, and for what? And if its a place just to start, and not hope to raise a family, then we are all wrong. I was a pretty well paid chef, timesgot tough, laid off. Took a job at half the salary I made.If what you are suggesting is the case, then why isnt every fast food place hiring 16 year olds?
    Dr of BBQ
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Fast food workers call for higher wages 2012/12/02 07:02:19 (permalink)
    ann peeples,
    16 year old  kids are in school or should be. And I'm not sure that there aren't some 16 year old employees working our local  fast food restaurants, during the summer. If federal and state laws permit that now.

But I see local fast food restaurants with way more employees than you need to run an operation, my guess and observation, they are not working very hard or just aren't hard workers. It's been a long time since I worked in that part of food service but I promise those in fast food don't work any more hours or any harder than I do.

But I was deeply involved in the former local Hardees franchise  through radio and they had managers that were making $80,000. a year. But they were hard workers and in fact we had two or 3 not sure which now of the top producing fast food restaurants right here in town  in the 80s. At that time they had a great training program and a very low turnover of employees.

Maybe I just don't understand what you are referring to as a good job, but I find good hard working employees very hard to find. And just today a total stranger/customer that come to find out owns a small business and I were talking about this topic. He said his most troublesome task as an owner was finding and hiring good people.
    Dr of BBQ
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Fast food workers call for higher wages 2012/12/02 07:22:28 (permalink)
    Ann,
    If you'll allow me one more thought you went from talking about a fast food worker to a chefs job. You and I know the abilities, skill levels are not the same. To me the average fast food worker today just operates a giant panini grill, deep fryer, assembles sandwiches, or runs a cash register. These jobs don't require much skill.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1