Hot!Great Lakes and Canadian Baseball 9/08 finale

Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Author
ConeyIslandLou
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 753
RE: Great Lakes and Canadian Baseball 9/08 finale 2008/09/13 20:51:23 (permalink)
nice report but.....look at these beauties from the Coney Island of Middletown, NY:

notice how the onions are properly UNDER the sauce

notice how thick and FIRM the sauce is....

even John Fox says its his favorite sauce...it seems to be at JUST the right spice level - not too hot...not too cinnamony (or whatever)that melds with the onions/mustard and dog JUST right...

you definitely must come over sometime to try, WJ....it really isnt too far from you!

johnnymolson
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 90
RE: Great Lakes and Canadian Baseball 9/08 finale 2008/09/13 22:16:43 (permalink)
Great job posting up your Roadfood adventure, as always, wanderingjew; your posts never fail to make me hungry!
BuddyRoadhouse
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4316
RE: Great Lakes and Canadian Baseball 9/08 finale 2008/09/14 03:47:16 (permalink)
Excellent report WJ; and I'm extra pleased that the Chicago leg of your journey stood out. Glad too that the Coney place I suggested in Detroit was one of your favorites.

If it's alright with you, I'd like to poach some of your pictures of Burt's to use in the Pizza Place With The Best Atmosphere (or some such heading) thread.

Once again, I had a great evening with you and ChiTownDiner at Johnnie's. Hope you make it back here soon for a more extensive food tour of Our Town.

Buddy
signman
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1744
RE: Great Lakes and Canadian Baseball 9/08 finale 2008/09/14 08:09:28 (permalink)
Great report Dale. Really enjoyed the Coney smackdown. Now I'm trying to remember which place I went to, American or Lafayette. If you're looking at the facades from south I think, whick one is on the right?
wanderingjew
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7965
RE: Great Lakes and Canadian Baseball 9/08 finale 2008/09/14 11:07:48 (permalink)
Ann,

It's very likely that Al Ameer will be on my top 10 roadfood list for 2008. I'm not going anywhere else this year, so I already have a rough list of what my list will look like, which is going to include at least 10 honorable mentions..

ConeyIslandLou,

To me, like NY Deli, Philly Cheesesteaks and LA Smoothies, Coneys will always be synonimous with Detroit, sorry, that's the way I feel. I'm fairly confident that you will undoubetdly find the best there too... there are very few select regions of the country where I will have a hot dog,, It's extremely rare (ok it will never happen) that I will travel "just to get a hot dog" I just don't "operate" that way.

Signman,

I think American Coney Island is on the right if you are looking directly at the front of the building.

Buddyroadhouse,

Again, I enjoyed meeting you and thanks so much for the bbq sauce.

Of course you can use my photos from Burts...

MiamiDon
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4306
RE: Great Lakes and Canadian Baseball 9/08 finale 2008/09/14 11:31:10 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by wanderingjew

Ann,

It's very likely that Al Ameer will be on my top 10 roadfood list for 2008. I'm not going anywhere else this year, so I already have a rough list of what my list will look like, which is going to include at least 10 honorable mentions..

ConeyIslandLou,

To me, like NY Deli, Philly Cheesesteaks and LA Smoothies, Coneys will always be synonimous with Detroit, sorry, that's the way I feel. I'm fairly confident that you will undoubetdly find the best there too... there are very few select regions of the country where I will have a hot dog,, It's extremely rare (ok it will never happen) that I will travel "just to get a hot dog" I just don't "operate" that way.

Signman,

I think American Coney Island is on the right if you are looking directly at the front of the building.

Buddyroadhouse,

This is weird.

In this photo, American is on the left:

In this photo, American is on the right:

Russ Jackson
  • Total Posts : 2257
RE: Great Lakes and Canadian Baseball 9/08 finale 2008/09/14 13:25:16 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by MiamiDon

quote:
Originally posted by wanderingjew

Ann,

ConeyIslandLou,

Signman,

Buddyroadhouse,

This is weird.

On the left:

On the right:

Its been that way for decades MiamiDon google the story on it...Russ
Nancypalooza
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3778
RE: Great Lakes and Canadian Baseball 9/08 finale 2008/09/14 14:14:16 (permalink)
That Al Ameer plate is just gorgeous Dale; wonderful writeup.

I don't know how much fiction you read but 'Middlesex' by Jeffrey Eugenides has a whole backstory about early Arab emigrants to the Detroit area.
wanderingjew
Sirloin
RE: Great Lakes and Canadian Baseball 9/08 finale 2008/09/14 15:08:56 (permalink)
Thursday September 4

After another bad coffee house a few blocks from my hotel (there seems to be a theme here- bad coffee houses are usually located in downtown areas) I took the drive "across the border"
After crossing the bridge from Huron MI into Canada, I was greeted by a Canadian Customs agent who looked like he was all of but 14 years old. I gave him my license, he asked for my passport or birth certificate. I didn't bring one. I explained I got in/out of Mexico just 2 years ago with my drivers license. I explained that I was going to a Blue Jays game in Toronto, he asked me 20 questions including who the Blue Jays were playing, I apparently answered them all correctly and he let me in. As I left I thought to myself, I'm gonna have a real fun time trying to get back into the States.

A few hours later I arrived in Toronto, I was staying at the Travelodge in the Downsview section of North York, about 12-15 miles north west of Toronto. I had a helluva time trying to find a place downtown, and kept getting rejected by priceline, as it turns out, the Toronto Film Festival was in town that weekend, so that explains it.

First stop was the bank to exchange US for Canadian currency

Toronto and Ontario in general have a "traditionally" large Anglo-Scottish population, so logically, my first stop was High Street Fish and Chips a Scottish Fish and Chips joint located in the Don Mills section of North York.

although I didn't come for the Fish and Chips, I came for the meat pies.

High Street offers a fairly diverse Scottish Themed menu

and they even have Haggis on the menu

and of course Fish and Chips as well

They even have offer bottled brown sauce at each table

Apparently they are famous for Melton Mowbray Pork Pies

But I opted for the Steak Pie with a side of Tattie Scones

here's a close up

The Steak Pie was densely packed inside a warm flaky crust. The tattie scones are actually potato pancakes,hot n crispy on the outside. My only complaint was the gravy served on the side should have been inside the pie. I would love to return to High Street one day and try their fish and chips as well as their other menu items as well.

After lunch, I drove over to one of the local malls, parked my car there and walked across the street to the subway station to downtown Toronto..

I arrived at Union Station and marveled at the big city. I noticed "chip trucks" everywhere selling Fresh cut chips (fries) as well as hot dogs, burgers etc. there are also dozens of hot dog carts everywhere selling plump dogs, Polish, German Sausage. They looked really good, only if I had enough time to try them..

I walked over the the CN Center, the tallest structure in the world which just happenned to be right next to the Rogers Center aka the Sky Dome. I intended to see the game that evening since the weather was much more promising than it would be the next day.

I then walked over to Chinatown

Geonit previously sent a link for a Toronto Chinatown Food blog. And I decided to check out one of the recommendations

Kom Jug Yuen apparently has been around for decades, there is a sign at the door which touts that they serve the "best roast pork in North America"
Their menu is huge, and I really wanted something "exotic" however the waiter of course recommended the Roast Pork and Rice, I got that along with a aide of fried dumplings..

Although I can't say that the Roast Pork was the best in North America, I will say that along with the steamed dumplingswere very good. One day I do have to go back and try some other more interesting items on the menu as well.

I walked back towards the Ballpark and got a ticket for that evenings game against the Minnesota Twins from a Scalper...

One thing I can say about the Skydome- It's a Monstrosity!

it's so big that it's connected to a Hotel. I know this was state of the art when it first opened nearly 20 years ago- but what were they thinking??!!" />...

Inside it didn't get any better...

I felt like I was walking into a shopping mall and even though the roof was open, it still felt like I was in a dome- a feeling that I also shared when I went to Miller Park in Milwaukee

I even found the scoreboard to be unimaginative

The game itself was no contest, the Blue Jays pounded the Twins that evening...

I have now been to every major league ballpark, sadly this was a dissapointment.

After the game, I walked back to the Subway, took the train back to my car and returned to my hotel.

Friday September 5

Today was going to be my day to explore Toronto

I drove back to the mall to park my car and take the subway back to downtown.

I meant to stop at a local coffee house on the fringes of downtown,
however it was somewhat out of the way and I wanted to take advantage of the day exploring the city. It was overcast and they were expecting rain for most of the day. I found a coffee house called Second Cup, I walked in and thought- ah, this must be the Starbucks of Canada- sure enough it was- Predictable in a Starbucks kinda way.

First stop was the St Lawrence Market

An indoor market similar to the Reading Terminal Market in Philly or the Lexington Market in Baltimore..

And I was ready for another "real breakfast"

Toronto's unique contribution to regional cuisine is The Pea Meal Bacon Sandwich

Apparently The Carousel Bakery inside the market is well known for this unique treat.

Served on a "soft country bun" I ordered mine with egg and cheese. The best way I can describe pea meal bacon is that its like "Canadian Bacon on Steroids" thick-substanstial- and full of "oink" but not quite as salty as say country ham.
I enjoyed it.

After breakfast, I strolled around the market.

Afterwards I headed back towards the CN Tower, but stopped at the visitors center first to get recommendations of what to check out with only one day in town..

Here's a really cool garden and church I stumbled upon as I headed towards the tower.

And here is the CN Tower itself

This is what greeted me when I entered the CN Tower

Apparently there are 2 observation decks I chose the $28 (yes you read correctly) tour for both observation decks.

Here are some photos of the view. Unfortunately due to inclement weather the view was limited to Toronto itself. Apparently you can see Rochester NY on clear days.

Yes that's the Skydome.

What was really cool was looking down from the glass floor!

After leaving the CN Tower, my curiousity over the Chip Trucks finally got the best of me- I had the choice of ordering a large, medium, small or mini- I ordered a mini and doused them with white vinegar.

Bar-none these were the best fries of the trip!

My next destination was Dundas Square as recommended by the visitors center guide..

Ok, I've already been to Times Square in New York [|)][|)][|)]

I walked around for a bit and thought that these are 20 minutes I'll never be able to get back...

It was now time for lunch, I thought a return to Chinatown was in order. I thought about returning to Kom Jung Yuen, but decided against, it, I wanted to try something different- how's about Vietnamese?-

Bun Saigon was also recommended on the Chinatown Blog

I decided go with the Pho and the Spring Rolls

The Pho was good, again its reminiscent of the Japanese Noodle Parlors I would frequent in NYC back in the 80's, however the star of the meal was definetely the spring rolls- probably some of the best I've ever had.

By the way, just a little off topic, as I was heading back to Chinatown from Dundas Square, I came across this place- I didn't go in, but does this place scream roadfood or what??

My last tourist destination was the Royal Ontario Museum located on Bloor Street. I took the subway here. I walked around Bloor Street itself, it reminds me of 5th Avenue in NYC.

I entered the museum, one thing I discovered about Toronto is that its quite expensive. The fee for the Museum was $22 however I got a AAA discount bringing it town to $20. apparently there is a 50% discount after 4:30, but I didn't want to wait 90 minutes.

This was a helluva museum, incorporating all aspects of Natural History, World History, Culture and Art on several floors.

I spent over 3 hours here and easily could have spent another couple of hours or more....

The first floor was strictly devoted to Japanese, Chinese and Korean History on one side and Canadian/Native History and Culture on the other..

The 2nd floor was devoted to nature and animals both pre-historic and present.

I only made it up to half of the third floor and saw the European History exhibit, the other half of the floor was devoted to Sub Saharan, Egyptian, Latin American, Indian and Middle Eastern History..

When I left the museum it was well after 6pm.

Knowing I was about 100 miles from Buffalo NY, I thought that the wings in Toronto must be good..

Well, Duffs in Buffalo has a restaurant here- (there are 3 altogether- 2 in toronto and one in Amherst NY)

Would the wings be just as good as they are in Buffalo?

I ordered 10hot wings along with a local brew

They did not dissapoint and were just as good as I remembered them from a trip to Buffalo 8 years earlier.

$20 for an order of wings and a beer- wow!

I was now ready to go back to my hotel as I would have a big drive the next day..

Stay tuned for the finale- Buffetbuster in Buffalo and the ride home...

more later...

CajunKing
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6559
RE: Great Lakes and Canadian Baseball 9/08 finale 2008/09/14 18:43:54 (permalink)
WJ

You should have went into the Senator!!

It is the old school diner with some tweeks here and there. The interior was/is Soda Shoppe/Diner mix.

Very cool though.

They had a Mac and Cheese that was out of this world, and the meatloaf.....

They also custom grind their own burgers, and made a really good one with blue cheese and bacon.

They have been at that location 75+ years. YOU HAVE TO GO BACK!!!!
roossy90
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6695
RE: Great Lakes and Canadian Baseball 9/08 finale 2008/09/14 19:08:56 (permalink)
Since the post was toooo big to copy, I shall just pick out one little sentence from WJ.....

""(again I forgot my bikini top) ""

Repeated requests for a belly shirt has
gone in one ear and out the other I see.....

J/K
wanderingjew
Sirloin
RE: Great Lakes and Canadian Baseball 9/08 finale 2008/09/14 21:33:25 (permalink)
Donald,

I glanced at the Senator's menu as I walked by- I don't think there was anything specifically regional on it- although I would certainly try the place if I was in town for a longer stay

Tara

Sorry, I don't own any belly shirts- just bikini tops! " />

Ok....now we're coming to the home stretch!

Saturday September 6

I was hoping to find a decent coffeehouse before leaving Toronto in case I got detained at the border (I'm not joking) I couldn't find one that was nearby, but I did find a decent bakery a couple of miles away and had a carrot cake muffin, what I was really hoping to find was one of those unique regional pastries called the Beavertail, there were a few places close to downtown that had them, but I didn't have time to head there. I also found a donut shop that had really bad coffee.

I left around 9:30 am to head towards Buffalo, as I approached the border, I gave Buffetbuster a call to let him know that I would call if any problems....

The agent of course asked for my passport or birth certificate after I gave him my drivers license, he demanded that I turn off my car engine after I told him that I didn't realize that I needed one (I really thought I was going to be detained this time), he gave me a form advising of the new regulations and then told me I could go but re-emphasised that I need to get a passport...

OK, great I made it back into the USA...

I arrived at Charlie the Butcher

Buffestbuster showed up a few minutes later

We went inside and ordered our meal

I ordered the Beef on Weck and we would share an order of Sweet Potato Fries..

The Weck arrived

and sadly I was disappointed
I thought the sandwich was dry, the meat was carved too thick, and was far from medium rare, I don't even think it was dipped in gravy.
I'll take Schwabl's any day over this.

This was the only true disappointment of the trip (besides Sokolowski's not being open)

The sweet potato fries were pretty good though..

We then headed to our next stop..

Ted's Hot Dogs in nearby Tonowanda

I ordered the foot long and we shared an order of Onion Rings

These dogs are char-grilled over coals and I really like Ted's Sauce that they put on it- although you do have the option for ketchup too.

The onion rings are probably my all time favorite...

Our last stop just across the street

Anderson's Frozen Custard

There's buffetbuster underneath the cone..

The frozen custard of the day was black raspberry

It was a great way to round off my great lakes trip
of course we had to have waffle cones!

Here's a photo of Buffetbuster taking a photo of the frozen custard

Buffetbuster and I parted ways just before 3pm...
I had a long drive ahead of me...
As I continued to drive, the rain got heavier and heavier, due to remnants of tropical storm Hannah. I arrived in Albany NY just as it was getting dark. I checked the weather and it was only going to get worse especially through the Berkshires into Springfield. I decided to go onto priceline and ended up staying in Albany overnight. I did end up getting a slice of chicken parm pizza at I love NY Pizza in suburban colony. Sorry no photos.

Sunday September 7

After a quick stop at Professor Java's Coffee, I was home 2 hours and 40 minutes later shortly after 12 noon..

The End

signman
  • Total Posts : 1744
RE: Great Lakes and Canadian Baseball 9/08 finale 2008/09/14 22:19:09 (permalink)
Dale is a scalper a scalper if he is selling below face -- which I assume he was.

And I agree with Cajun King, the Senator is a great place.
wanderingjew
Sirloin
RE: Great Lakes and Canadian Baseball 9/08 finale 2008/09/15 08:30:59 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by signman

Dale is a scalper a scalper if he is selling below face -- which I assume he was.

And I agree with Cajun King, the Senator is a great place.

Signman,

He was originally asking for face. When I asked him why I would buy face from him when I can get the same price at the box office,
I managed to get him to $10 below price..

Nancypalooza
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3778
RE: Great Lakes and Canadian Baseball 9/08 finale 2008/09/15 11:45:52 (permalink)
I have to say, you really cover quite a variety of food in this report. With a hot dog pretty much in between everything. I'm very curious now about peameal bacon. Nice finish Dale!
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10513
RE: Great Lakes and Canadian Baseball 9/08 finale 2008/09/15 15:42:09 (permalink)
WJ-
Okay, I am playing catch up with your wonderful report, so I am several installments behind.....

You did the right thing by ordering the chicken paprikash at Tony Packo's, but now you know why I always get just the noodles and sauce as a side. Don't give up on the paprikash as a dish, since I have had excellent versions of it at Belgrade Gardens and especially Al's Corner Restaurant elsewhere in Ohio.

The pizza's at Burt's Place look terrific and glad you got to spend some time with two quality Roadfooders like BuddyRoadhouse and ChiTownDiner. I have no idea how you could have only one dog at Poochie's since they make the best Chicago style dog I have ever had. Still can't believe there is a McDonald's photo in a wanderingjew trip report!

Great picture of the Chicken Vesuvio at Harry Caray's! Was that the first time having this dish? Too bad you didn't have someone else with you, so you could have tried the Shrimp de Jonghe, too. Did you get a table or eat at the bar?
Ivyhouse
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 332
RE: Great Lakes and Canadian Baseball 9/08 finale 2008/09/15 16:08:34 (permalink)
Thanks, wanderingjew, for a great report. The Chinese and Vietnamese food looked great, especially the spring rolls and dumplings.

I have yet to try a beef on weck when I am in Rochester -- the amount of salt on the roll looks excessive. Do you find that the salt overwhelms the taste of the sandwich?
wanderingjew
Sirloin
RE: Great Lakes and Canadian Baseball 9/08 finale 2008/09/15 18:49:38 (permalink)
Buffetbuster,

I am sure I'll have Chicken Paprikash again, possibly sooner than I expect.

I just found out I am being deployed (most likely to our call center in Cleveland) to assist with those affected by Hurricane Ike.
It will most likely be a 3 week deployment. Again, no fun and games- working everyday 12 hours a day every day with one day off in between, and no chance of leaving the office.

I will try to get out and return to Sokolowskis, however "roadfooding" more than a couple of select times (even in the evening) is unlikely as I need to at least maintain my weight until I return home and continue to loose weight. I was up 16 lbs when I returned from this trip compared to when I first left for KC on our trip back in June (I'm still up 13 lbs) and that is unacceptable.

Poochies served a really good dog, I really didn't have a choice of having more than one, if I did, there is no way I could have enjoyed the Pizza at Burts..

I was a "Chicken Vesuvio Virgin" prior to my visit to Harry Carays. I sat at a table instead of the bar....I guess I would have been more self conscious taking photos at the bar

Ivyhouse

The kummelweck roll is salty but goes very well with the roast beef, however I was dissapointed with what was served to me at Charlies. I recall Schwabl's being the best.
cecif
  • Total Posts : 1414
RE: Great Lakes and Canadian Baseball 9/08 finale 2008/09/15 19:55:30 (permalink)
Wow. EPIC!
Great stuff.

Just two comments...
1. You didn't say if you liked that perch sandwich (or much about it aside from the bread...) - like it? Recommend it??
2. The border guy was full of it.. I check the state dept website regularly because I drive to Canada regularly. You do NOT have to have a passport yet! (They keep pushing it back...) However, you do have to have a birth certificate with your DL if you don't, and I see he gave you the option... I actually take my passport now to save on hassle.
Linky: http://travel.state.gov/travel/cbpmc/cbpmc_2223.html

[Helpful hint in case folks are curious: if you look for the little border crossings they are MUCH friendlier, i.e. I cross at the Wolfe Island ONT to Cape Vincent NY ferry or the dirt road west of I-89 & east of I-87 en route to Montreal from Burlington that leads onto Grand Isle, ask locals about the cheese farm!]
cecif
  • Total Posts : 1414
RE: Great Lakes and Canadian Baseball 9/08 finale 2008/09/15 19:56:39 (permalink)
p.s. you look skinny! don't go and waste away on us.............!!!
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
RE: Great Lakes and Canadian Baseball 9/08 finale 2008/09/15 21:53:24 (permalink)
WJ-
You did say you were worried about your weight, but we have to be able to squeeze in at least one good Roadfood meal while you are so close by. No chance you could meet me in Akron one night for some Barberton chicken and chicken paprikash? I swear, they are very healthy dishes!
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
RE: Great Lakes and Canadian Baseball 9/08 finale 2008/09/15 22:06:35 (permalink)
WJ-
I can't believe I am saying this, but some of those Coneys have too much chili on them and don't look very appetizing. Your Coney smackdown is really well done and it is nice to read that my favorite place, Lafayette, seemed to be the winner.

Both the Greek food and middle eastern food you had in Detroit and Dearborn look wonderful. I have had very little experience with either cuisine, but you make me want to explore it more.

No, Comerica is no Tiger Stadium, but I do like it anyway. Might have something to do with the fact that I love tigers and they have them EVERYWHERE!
wanderingjew
Sirloin
RE: Great Lakes and Canadian Baseball 9/08 finale 2008/09/15 22:24:17 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by buffetbuster

WJ-
You did say you were worried about your weight, but we have to be able to squeeze in at least one good Roadfood meal while you are so close by. No chance you could meet me in Akron one night for some Barberton chicken and chicken paprikash? I swear, they are very healthy dishes!

Buffetbuster, I can't make any guarantees.

I'll try. I'm not sure if you remember, but 3 years ago when I went down to Austin for Hurricane Katrina, I couldn't make it down to Lockhart. First because all the bbq places close early and I didn't get out of work until 7 or 7:30 pm and and second because I was so mentally/physically/emotionally exhausted by the end of the day..

I know I get one day off over the 21 day period that I'm in Cleveland, I just have no idea when.
I'll keep you posted.

quote:
Originally posted by cecif
Just two comments...
1. You didn't say if you liked that perch sandwich (or much about it aside from the bread...) - like it? Recommend it??

Ceci, the Perch Sandwich at the Flat Iron was outstanding, I think I implied, that I felt "short changed" because I ordered the Sandwich
instead of the plate which offers a bigger serving and a platter which is even bigger here is their website [url]www.flatironcafe.com [/url]
mr chips
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4727
RE: Great Lakes and Canadian Baseball 9/08 finale 2008/09/16 02:05:48 (permalink)
Wonderful report. My memories of Toronto featured a Jewish deli in Chinatown, a visit to the Hockey Hall of Fame, a wicked Rum punch at a French Carribean place and my first taste of jerk chicken. Joe Carter hit 3 home runs in one game I saw at Skydome and Ken Griffey Jr. hit one in another game. I never saw a game with the roof closed which I would like to have done. The CN tower was a bit less expensive when I visited and I enjoyed the view. Two months after the Toronto visit my wife and I adopted Sam and life has never been the same.
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
RE: Great Lakes and Canadian Baseball 9/08 finale 2008/09/16 06:26:10 (permalink)
WJ-
Of course, I will understand if we can't get together for a meal, since work has to be the focus for you while you are in Cleveland. But if you can, let me know!

I don't even remember you telling me that you didn't like your Beef on Weck at Charlie the Butcher's. I have enjoyed their version in the past, but it is still clearly a step down from Schwabl's and Eckl's.

The variety of food eaten on this trip is simply amazing and I learned quite a few new things. You have to give wanderingjew credit for "walking the walk" when it comes to eating regionally when he is traveling.

Congratulations on hitting all 30 mahor league stadiums and on this all around excellent report!
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
RE: Great Lakes and Canadian Baseball 9/08 finale 2008/09/16 07:40:00 (permalink)
Since I spent such a short amount of time in Buffalo the weekend I met wanderingjew, I don't think it is worth starting my own trip report. So, I hope he doesn't mind if I add on a few photos of my own to the end of his report.

My first stop Friday night was Schwabl's.

A polite family tavern, with one of the great Roadfood signs, it is the home of Beef on Weck.

They asked how I wanted my roast beef and I ordered it medium. It took longer than expected to get it, but the beef was perfect. While waiting, I watched the man at the carving station at the end of the bar.

Since I was really hungry, I also got one of their hot ham sandwiches.

The picture is rather deceiving, since the tomatoey sauce was more orange than it looks here. The thing I will always remember about this sandwich though, is the overpowering smell of clove.

Next, I headed to Parkside Candy for dessert. This place has a beautiful old time interior.

I ate one of their Mexican sundaes, with Spanish nuts.

Excellent sundae! I also bought some sponge candy.

From there, I checked into my hotel for the night.

Since I wasn't meeting wanderingjew until late morning, I headed to Niagara Falls to check out the sights, which included DiCamillo's Bakery. They had good looking pizza available for breakfast and I thought, why not!

Despite being on the greasy side, it was a fine way to start the day. I also got some donuts, highlighted by the yummy peanut stix.

The single best thing I bought here were the substantial cookies. That is a peanut butter on the left and a Chinese cookie on the right.

I had never heard of a Chinese cookie before, which the girl described as a butter cookie, with fudge throughout. I sure do wish I had bought more cookies, because these were fantastic!

I also brought my brother some Beef on Weck rolls, which he used on hamburgers.

Soon, it was time to meet WJ. Since I have had the Beef on Weck at Charlie the Butcher's many times before, I went for the spiedie sandwich, which was tender and delicious.

Their beef carving station is also very visible and fun to watch.

Here is WJ underneath the sign. All he needs is a hardhat!

Then on to Ted's and then Anderson's. Here is the two of us enjoying our frozen custard.

After saying goodbye to my friend, I had room to make one more stop. So, I went to Grover's Bar & Grill to get a burger.

That is the bacon cheeseburger and it is much bigger than it looks. There was no way I could have finished it there, so I got half of it to go. But, it was gone by the time I hit Erie on the drive home. Really good burger!
doggydaddy
  • Total Posts : 1847
RE: Great Lakes and Canadian Baseball 9/08 finale 2008/09/16 08:01:22 (permalink)

Dale,

Have you ever considered consolidating and expanding this whole baseball report for publishing? I could see a book like this occupying the same bookstore space as the Stern's books.

mark
ann peeples
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 8695
RE: Great Lakes and Canadian Baseball 9/08 finale 2008/09/16 09:57:00 (permalink)
Are the beef on weck rolls rye??They look outstanding....
TnTinCT
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 498
RE: Great Lakes and Canadian Baseball 9/08 finale 2008/09/16 11:03:35 (permalink)
Wow - great report, and I AM STARVING RIGHT NOW! We posted our last trip through Buffalo and hit some of the same, I have to say we chose Schwabl's over Charlie the Butcher and I had the same experience you did - overcooked, dry, not a great experience. I'd try it again at a different time to see if it improves, especially with all the raves. Thoroughly enjoyed reading your trip report!
wanderingjew
Sirloin
RE: Great Lakes and Canadian Baseball 9/08 finale 2008/09/16 12:27:22 (permalink)
Buffetbuster

Your Scwabl's photo I think shows how much better that sandwich was
I will keep you posted, I may have a few extra days of free time but it won't be until I'm done with CAT Duty.

Ann

It's not rye, think more or long the lines of a Kaiser Roll

Doggydaddy

Thanks for the idea- but It's been done before-

Well, I'm off to CAT Duty

I have a 2:15pm flight
Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1