If you were going to open a "Comfort Food" Rest.

Page: < 1234 > Showing page 2 of 4
Author
Sneetch
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 394
RE: If you were going to open a "Comfort Food" Rest. 2006/11/03 16:13:23 (permalink)
...i agree with greymo - hot homemade soup and homemade fresh breads every day, plus:
homemade pie/cakes
mashed 'taters
chili mac
roast chicken

...made myself hungry again, dammit!
RibRater
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1862
RE: If you were going to open a "Comfort Food" Rest. 2006/11/03 17:59:58 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Big_g

1) Fried Chicken
2) Meatloaf
3) Beef Tips and gravy over egg noodles
4) Chicken Fried Steak
5) Pot Roast w/Root Veg.

That's a good list. I would edit this way - in no particular order:

1) Fried Chicken
2) Meatloaf
3) Hamburger Gravy over rice/noodles
4) Chicken Fried Steak
5) Corned Beef (any way you want it)
6) All soups, all the time.

If I had to just pick one way to go I would say 5 different soups...every day. I eat soup 3-7 times a week and every time I finish a bowl I ask my wife why I bother eating anything else.

desertdog
  • Total Posts : 1946
RE: If you were going to open a "Comfort Food" Rest. 2006/11/03 18:38:12 (permalink)
Gotta Haves:

Baby Back Ribs and steak fries
Fried Chicken (or chicken fried steak) w/Mashed Potatoes and gravy and green beans
Big ol' Sticky Buns w/ pecans and over medium eggs for dippin' and mixin'.
Sausage Bisquits and gravy with scrambled eggs and home fries, all doused with Loooosiana Hot Sauce and black pepper.
Chicago Style Deep Dish Pizza or a nice lasagne.

An alternate....Beef Stroganoff

Voyageur
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 400
RE: If you were going to open a "Comfort Food" Rest. 2006/11/03 20:45:05 (permalink)
quote:
IMHO, if you have never had GOOD mac & cheese, you MUST HAVE NEVER HAD mac & cheese!!

You've got it right, soozycue520. Food for the Gods.

In my recipe above, didn't mention salt and dry mustard. In addition, there should also be enough black pepper to be noticeable, but not so much to overwhelm the taste of cheese. The chunks of Cheddar baked in the dish should be fairly large. You want the contrast of the browned crust and the melted cheese pockets below with some of the pasta bathed in little more than the white sauce.
billyboy
  • Total Posts : 2462
RE: If you were going to open a "Comfort Food" Rest. 2006/11/04 00:10:51 (permalink)
Homestyle dinners:

1. Thanksgiving dinner-turkey, mashed potatoes, dressing, squash, green bean casserole, cranberry sauce and gravy.

2. Meatloaf (with a homemade tomato gravy)

3. Smoked gouda and extra sharp cheddar mac and cheese

4. Baked scrod dinner

5. Fried chicken dinner

6. Lots of pies for dessert-sorry just couldn't limit it to only 5!
Jimeats
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3175
RE: If you were going to open a "Comfort Food" Rest. 2006/11/04 07:55:37 (permalink)
1. Mac and cheese is a must as a side daily, or an entre
2. Meatloaf or Salisbury steak
3. Chicken pot pie
4. Red flannel hash
5. Fish cakes with baked beans and cole slaw and brown bread
Fresh biscuts served with all meals. Chow Jim
Voyageur
Cheeseburger
RE: If you were going to open a "Comfort Food" Rest. 2006/11/04 08:01:12 (permalink)
Hey Jimeats, didn't even have to look up your profile to know where you are from! That fish cakes with baked beans and brown bread gave you away.

All these suggestions are making me mighty hungry.
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10494
RE: If you were going to open a "Comfort Food" Rest. 2006/11/04 09:51:03 (permalink)
1) Chicken & Dumplings
2) Turkey Devonshire/Hot Brown Sandwich
3) Meatloaf
4) Macaroni & Cheese
5) Banana Cream Pie
desertdog
RE: If you were going to open a "Comfort Food" Rest. 2006/11/04 10:28:55 (permalink)
I noticed A LOT of entries for Mac-n-Cheese on this thread. There is an obvious love for this food. Over under the recipes forum, I started a thread for Mac-n-Cheese. How about sharing your favorite recipes for this excellent comfort food over there?

http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=16225

ChiTownDiner
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3010
RE: If you were going to open a "Comfort Food" Rest. 2006/11/04 10:32:26 (permalink)
Five is tough, 50 is more like it...but here goes...

Mac & Cheese
Choc Chip Pancakes & Corned Beef Hash
Grilled Cheese with Bacon & Tomato
Meat Loaf, Mashed Potatoes & Gravy
Split Pea Soup with Ham
zataar
  • Total Posts : 1440
RE: If you were going to open a "Comfort Food" Rest. 2006/11/04 19:41:46 (permalink)
In my dreams I would open a restaurant of world comfort food. ( I was the chef at a place did that, but I'd open my own cafe and do things differently) I would have soups from Vietnam, such as Pho, Turkish Red Lentil, Caldo Verde from Portugal, Sopa Lima from Mexico, Matzo Ball from the US for example.
I'd have noodle dishes, sandwiches and small plates that people could make a full meal from if they wanted.
There would be specials according to the seasons, such as Colcannon around St. Patrick's Day, and Oaxacan tamales wrapped in banana leaves at Halloween.
In my dream, I would go bankrupt!
Foodbme
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10356
RE: If you were going to open a "Comfort Food" Rest. 2006/11/04 21:13:23 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by BhamBabe

Mac and cheese
Mashed potatoes
Country Captain
Gumbo
Bread pudding

I know what everything on this thread is except "Country Captain". What the hell is Country Captain
Sonny Funzio
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 913
RE: If you were going to open a "Comfort Food" Rest. 2006/11/04 21:44:19 (permalink)
just 5 items ... a tall order.

Pastrami with chopped liver on sourdough rye, grilled

Mostaccioli with meat sauce, topped with fresh grated Parmigiano~Reggiano cheese and served with italian sausages AND meatballs.

Chicken soup with a ton of *big* fluffy dumplings

Turkey with gravy and stuffing/dressing

Swiss onion soup (the thick kind with heavy cream and swiss cheese in it) served with either a ceasers or a cobb salad or an antipasto-salad or a greek salad; and fresh, right-out-of-the-oven bread with whipped butter (individual loafs, rolls or breadstix ... "bottomless breadbasket").

... and on the "kids menu":

Grilled cheese made with wonder bread and two slices of kraft american cheese, grilled in real butter and *not* pressed while grilling

French fries

Pizza, plain, very light sauce and a little extra cheese (no toppings)

Chicken nuggets or fingers with 3 sauces to dip ... kids love to dip

Hot dogs

Voyageur
Cheeseburger
RE: If you were going to open a "Comfort Food" Rest. 2006/11/04 21:57:13 (permalink)
quote:
What the hell is Country Captain

http://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/country-captain
Sonny Funzio
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 913
RE: If you were going to open a "Comfort Food" Rest. 2006/11/04 22:00:32 (permalink)
In the dessert arena ...

Hot apple pie with ice cream

Cannoli made with ricotta filling

Something very chocolate ... maybe a See's Chocolates assortment plate(served with hot coffee or cappuccino); fresh hot chocolate chunk/chip cookies with milk; oreos with milk; german chocolate cake; black forest torte ...

Baklava (with pistachios on top)

A double Frangelico in a snifter with cream floated on top (as a layer you drink it through)

Foodbme
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10356
RE: If you were going to open a "Comfort Food" Rest. 2006/11/04 22:25:13 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Voyageur

quote:

I read the recipe. What's the origin of the name? I don't see any connection between the food and the name.
desertdog
RE: If you were going to open a "Comfort Food" Rest. 2006/11/05 11:19:03 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Foodbme

quote:

quote:

I read the recipe. What's the origin of the name? I don't see any connection between the food and the name.

A quick google search brought up this:

"Country Captain is now considered a classic American dish, but it is likely named for a British army captain who first brought curry seasonings from India to his home port."

http://health.ivillage.com/heart/hdpreven/0,,rdigest_7hhbjt29,00.html?ice=iv%7Cwb%7Cheartdiseasehc,recipes

Got a potluck I'm going to on Saturday at a wine bar...sounds like a ggod dish to bring along

BhamBabe
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 879
RE: If you were going to open a "Comfort Food" Rest. 2006/11/05 22:15:10 (permalink)
quote:

quote:

quote:

It is thought that this dish was brought to Georgia by a British sea captain who had been stationed in Bengali, India and shared the recipe with some friends in the port city of Savannah, Georgia. Savannah was then a major shipping port for the spice trade. The dish was named for the officers in India called “Country Captains.”

In the 1940s, Franklin D. Roosevelt (1882-1945), 32nd President of the United States and General George S. Patton (1885-1945), U.S. Army General, were served this dish in Warm Springs, Georgia, by Mrs. W. L. Bullard. Their praise and love of this dish helped to rekindle its Southern classic status.

Recipe I use:

http://whatscookingamerica.net/Poultry/CountryCaptainChicken.htm
doggydaddy
  • Total Posts : 1847
RE: If you were going to open a "Comfort Food" Rest. 2006/11/06 10:17:20 (permalink)

I would run a breakfast and lunch place so I could close in the afternoon and watch the sun go down. I love working that shift and making meals for that crowd. I would serve:

Chunky corned beef hash with a good crust
Belgium waffles
Big, thick and fluffy pancakes
EGGS!!!! with a good sausage( maybe a couple of varieties)ham and my carmelized pepper bacon
Biscuits and gravy
Filled omelets
Homefries with onions and peppers though I do love the shredded type too
On weekends I will offer eggs benedict. You can't make hollandaise every day...

Going on to lunch:
Home made soups
1/3lb Burgers including my favorite, the patty melt. Since I have the rye bread, I will make...
Corned beef ruebens (The trimmings go into the hash...)
Open faced hot turkey and roast beef sandwiches
I will offer Club sandwiches but only slice them in half as I hate to cut them in quarters
Onion rings
My award winning chili

If I did stay open for dinner I would offer
Pot roast with root vegetables. I'm shocked nobody has mentioned that dish. The same cut of meat could also appear as sauerbraten with potato pancakes.
Herb roasted half chicken or butterflied and deboned grilled Cornish game hen.
Pork chops
Lamb. Chops or boneless leg. Either way, break out the mint jelly...
Mixed grill. With lamb or pork chops, sausage and ???
Risotto of the day
Stuffed cabbage or peppers

I would prefer to keep the menu small and simple with the ability to create and offer specials. Forget what is on the menu and have them read the chalkboard.

mark

doggydaddy
  • Total Posts : 1847
RE: If you were going to open a "Comfort Food" Rest. 2006/11/06 10:21:03 (permalink)

====Pot roast with root vegetables. I'm shocked nobody has mentioned that dish.====

I see that I need to read these threads better as Big_g has mentioned exactly that dish....

mark
Voyageur
Cheeseburger
RE: If you were going to open a "Comfort Food" Rest. 2006/11/06 14:54:45 (permalink)
Been very much enjoying this topic and having fun guessing where the posters are from based on their menu items.

But, at the risk of--hey, for the fun of--creating some controversy, here are two postings from the "Where have all the German restaurants gone" thread. The question is can you create a comfort food menu and restaurant environment that appeal to more modern tastes and health concerns? Or, even should you?

David NYC said, "Many people have given reasons why many German restaurants have closed. I'd like to add a few without repeating what other posters have written.

"In many ways, this topic is very similar to the death watch being held for the remaining Howard Johnson's restaurants. Time change. I have a Bavarian cousin who has been visiting me for 35 years now. We would often go to the NY area German restaurants mentioned earlier in this thread. His comment was that these restaurants were frozen in time. The dark decor and the heavy food were anachronistic. The fact that some of these restaurants were using those step-saver products from SYSCO, et. al. changed the character of the food.

"In my less frequent visits to Bavaria, I note that the majority of restaurants serve food that is much lighter fare than what was served in those closed restaurants listed here. In Bavaria, people eat a lot of Italian food and pizza. Plenty of McDonalds, Pizza Hut, KFC, Burger King, and Taco Bell. The restaurants that locals (not tourists) go to don't play that music you hear of oom pah pah bands in old German restaurants. The radio stations targeted at a young audience play mostly English language songs. Go on the internet and find that the median age of the listeners to radio stations that play mostly German music is about 55 years old.

"As mentioned earlier, there are some new German restaurants opening in the US. A lot have names that do not denote they serve German food, having english names. The one I ate at, Hallo Berlin in Manhattan, seemed to serve modern German cuisine."

Here's my reply, "David NYC, your post is very insightful. The Suppenkuche I mentioned above has carved out a niche by having a nice selection for the Bay Area's vegetarian diners, along with more traditional fare. My server mentioned that there’s huge demand for veggie items in their restaurant, and that Germany itself now has some 6 million vegetarians due in part to the European concern with Mad Cow disease.

"You'd think the small Roadfood-type restaurants in this country would have a giant advantage in responding to changes in customer tastes, be they the trend for more spicy foods, lighter food, or whatever, but so very many are set in their ways. Being set in your ways can be a very, very good thing when it comes to serving quality food, but not in the case of a place like the Bakers Cafeteria in Des Moines, where the average age of the diners in its gloomy dining room during my last visit a year or so ago was nearing 70 years, with not a family in sight.

"Along this line, it's interesting to glance at the comfort food suggestions in the following link. Which chefs are going to draw the family whose members have different tastes? Where one person is concerned about fat in their diet? Or, carbs? Where someone doesn't eat red meat? Where someone is on a training diet? I know the chefs aren't listing their entire menus, but are some concerned at all about such issues? And, if they say they can't do this for various reasons, are they being very creative in creating specialty dishes that appeal to all? [Link to this comfort food topic.]

"Here's one of their competitors that is concerned. Check out its various menus.
hhttp://www.pfchangs.com/ "
ynotryme
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 562
RE: If you were going to open a "Comfort Food" Rest. 2006/11/06 15:31:12 (permalink)
1: open faced sandwiches (beef,turkey,pork)
2: chicken fried steak (even tho I personally don't like it)
3: hamburgers
4: liver and onions (my wife's favorite)
5: eggs all styles with side meats and biscuits
blinky193
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 97
RE: If you were going to open a "Comfort Food" Rest. 2006/11/06 16:06:04 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by buffetbuster

1) Chicken & Dumplings
2) Turkey Devonshire/Hot Brown Sandwich
3) Meatloaf
4) Macaroni & Cheese
5) Banana Cream Pie

Turkey Devonshire ?? You must be from Pittsburgh....
SFS Fan
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 62
RE: If you were going to open a "Comfort Food" Rest. 2006/11/06 17:41:53 (permalink)
quote:

If you were going to open a "Comfort Food" Restaurant, what would be your "FIVE (5) Must Have on the Menu" Items?

1) Scrambled eggs, fried Spam and cold rice.
2) A slice of Oscar Meyer bologna wrapped with cold rice.
3) Ground beef and green bean okazu served over rice.
4) A slab of tofu with dried shaved bonito and soy sauce.
5) Mom's pork tofu served over rice.

Gosh! What memories!
CajunKing
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6526
RE: If you were going to open a "Comfort Food" Rest. 2006/11/09 14:41:50 (permalink)
Breakfast Menu:

Biscuits & Gravy
Belgian Waffles
Pancakes (blueberry, corn, chocolate chip)
Fritatta(s)
Corned Beef Hash/Homefries/Cheese Grits

Lunch:

Pan Fried Chicken
Meatloaf
Country Fried Steak
Pot Roast with Veggies
Sandwich of the Day
Soup of the Day
xannie_01
  • Total Posts : 1481
RE: If you were going to open a "Comfort Food" Rest. 2006/11/09 14:48:17 (permalink)
cajunking,
when are you gonna open??
CajunKing
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6526
RE: If you were going to open a "Comfort Food" Rest. 2006/11/09 16:42:18 (permalink)
Xannie,

I have always wanted to run a place like that, I never had the nerve to bite the bullet and do it, so for now I think I will stick to BBQ counter place, hopefully sometime in the coming year, if all goes well!

Besides you & hubster gonna move and help in da kitchen??
Iowacafegal
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 19
RE: If you were going to open a "Comfort Food" Rest. 2006/11/11 01:21:37 (permalink)
quote:

If you were going to open a "Comfort Food" Restaurant, what would be your "FIVE (5) Must Have on the Menu" Items?

The Five I have
A Smile when you walk in the Door
1. HomeMade Hand breaded Pork Tendreloin
2. HomeMade Biscuits / with HomeMade Sausage Gravy
3. HomeMade Meatloaf
4. HomeMade Soups Each Day
5. Rhubarb Pie
A Thank you and Please come back to see us..
Iowa Cafe Gal

MilwFoodlovers
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3174
RE: If you were going to open a "Comfort Food" Rest. 2006/11/11 09:16:43 (permalink)
Wow, it's easy to see why America has such a wide variety of restaurants serving all different types of dishes. It's all subjective and to each their own. I've got to tell you though that when I see people wanting just a cheese pizza, I'm amazed. I gots to have onions as a bare minimum on mine and then anything or everything. Seeing this list tells me I like way to many comfort foods which probably explains why someday if I'm not careful, I won't see my toes anymore!
Scarlett
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 402
RE: If you were going to open a "Comfort Food" Rest. 2006/11/11 10:45:02 (permalink)
1: Pinto beans, collard greens and cornbread
2: Salmon patties, mashed potatoes, fried okra and white slaw
3: My (late) mama's bread-burgers (on white bread) topped with mustard, Texas Pete, shredded cabbage and raw onions with baked bean on the side
4: Omelett with grits
5: Vegetable soup (with enough sugar added to take away the sharp acid taste)
Page: < 1234 > Showing page 2 of 4
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1