The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Livin' on Tulsa Time

Change Page: < 1234 > | Showing page 2 of 4, messages 31 to 60 of 97
buffetbuster

RE: Livin' on Tulsa Time Mon, 05/26/08 3:44 PM (permalink)
Saturday May 24 cont.

Not getting too much sleep the night before, I decided a quick nap was exactly what I needed. But, I was only asleep a short time when my cell phone rang, with my worried mother on the other end. Apparently, there was a series of tornadoes about an hour north of OKC. So, I turned on the tv and watched the news for a little while. I believe the final count was six tornadoes, but luckily, no one got hurt, which amazes me. I also count my blessings that I decided to head west to Jiggs Smoke House and not north to Perry and Kumback Lunch, since the tornadoes were in that area.

Now that I was up, I drove to the wonderful National Cowboy & Western Heritage Museum. This was my first time here and I was extremely impressed. It is every bit as much an art gallery as it is a museum. Here are some huge sculptures that sit near the front entrance.

Lots of interesting displays on famous cowboys, real and from movies, like Tom Mix, who was born not far from where I live.

I particularly liked this room, which had a great old western feel.

While I was in the museum, I missed a call from wanderingjew, who also knew I was in Oklahoma and wanted to check on me, which I appreciated. As he was telling me about his weekend in Maine, I pulled up at Leo's Barbecue, only to find it wasn't open.

They said they were closed for renovations. The sign directs you to their other location downtown.

I have to tell you, I didn't like the place right away. I'm guessing 2/3 of the tables needed bussing and there were no clean tables to sit at. I finally found a seat that only had cake crumbs laying around, so I sat there. There seemed to be only one waiter for a fairly big room, so service was painfully slow. Here is what I ended up with, the chopped beef brisket dinner.

Unfortunately, this was awful! The beef had big globs of fat, to the point it seemed there was almost as much fat as anything else. Now, I don't expect the meat to be perfectly lean, nor would I want it to be. But this was just way too much fat. The macaroni salad tasted like it was from the local supermarket. At least the spicy beans were good.

We also had to wait several minutes for the cake, since it wasn't ready, yet. But, this was worth waiting for.

Still, I give Leo's a thumbs down. Too bad!

After returning to the hotel for a few minutes, I found a local sport bar to watch the hockey game. The game stunk and the food (a bowl of potato soup and a dozen wings) was nothing memorable.

Back to the hotel for the night.

Much more to come.....

wanderingjew

• Total Posts: 7386
    • Roadfood Insider
    RE: Livin' on Tulsa Time Mon, 05/26/08 4:15 PM (permalink)
    Ouch!

So sorry to hear about Leo's

It has been 5 years and I did go to the original location....

That's one of the reasons why I hate to give advice on a place I haven't been to in years- sometime I just assume that things haven't changed and unfortunately sometimes it does.

At least I know I won't be going back if/when I ever return to OK City which doesn't look like anytime soon..

Otherwise it looks like you had a great time so far...

I just got back myself about 1/2 hour ago and hope to get part of my trip report in tonight.

ChiTownDiner

RE: Livin' on Tulsa Time Mon, 05/26/08 5:43 PM (permalink)
      It seemed everything, right down to the plate was store bought. In this case, i knew the verdict befroe the scroll was complete.

ChiTownDiner

RE: Livin' on Tulsa Time Tue, 05/27/08 7:32 AM (permalink)
        I just noticed Sid's Freedom Toast for $3.00...

buffetbuster

RE: Livin' on Tulsa Time Tue, 05/27/08 7:57 AM (permalink)
          CTD-
          I saw the Freedom Fries while I was there, but I didn't notice the Freedom Toast until I was looking at the photo later. That is a new one to me!

wanderingjew-
          Yeah, I was extremely disappointed in Leo's, but it happens. I can tell you it was nowhere near Harold's of Atlanta bad. In this case, they may just have been having an off day. They were obviously shorthanded, considering only one waiter and so many tables needed bussing. Next time in OKC, I do plan on giving the original location another try, but I wouldn't go back to this place.

signman-
          I'm afraid I don't know anything about Coit's. Great homemade root beer? Sounds like my kind of place! Is it in OKC or Tulsa?

Al-
          I was eating so much and so often, I still haven't tried the jerky, yet. I will let you know once I do.

tiki

• Total Posts: 4135
            RE: Livin' on Tulsa Time Tue, 05/27/08 9:53 AM (permalink)
            quote:
            Originally posted by Robearjr

I'm curious if there is any noticeable differences between OK City and Tulsa in food or culture? Having never to been to OK, it is my feeling that OK City is more Texas cowboy, while Tulsa is....well, I'm not sure but I figured Tulsa was a little bit Texas cowboy with some Missouri midwest and Arkansas southern to round it out.

Tulsa is the home of LOTS of OIL MONEY!!--some truly beautiful neighborhoods with museums and galleries and LOTS more extremes them OKC---ie. rich vs poor---so it may be a bit more sophistacated---but they both have some great foods--road and otherwise--and great music!

tiki

RE: Livin' on Tulsa Time Tue, 05/27/08 9:57 AM (permalink)
              Hey---you gonna make it down here to the Muskogee area???---i'll take you to Smokehouse Bob's!!! KILLER gue and amazing sweet potato and bannana cream pies---and the meatiest, tastiest beans ever!!!---and Mimi's burgers too!----and BLUES TOO!---and least we forget---Krebs for Lovera's Market!!!--with thier handmade cheese and sausage!

buffetbuster

RE: Livin' on Tulsa Time Tue, 05/27/08 10:06 AM (permalink)
                tiki-
                Sorry, but I am already home. I do appreciate the offer, though. Smokehouse Bob's was on my list of places to check out if I got the chance, but I never made it down to Muskegee. Had I known about the banana cream pie, I may have made a special trip!

buffetbuster

RE: Livin' on Tulsa Time Tue, 05/27/08 1:34 PM (permalink)
                  Sunday May 25

After making the approximately 100 mile drive from OKC to Tulsa, my first stop was Cancun.

Meals start off with really tasty chips and slightly hot salsa.

To drink, I went for the refreshing and sweet horchata.

For my entree, I tried an enchilada combination platter.

From left to right, the different enchiladas were shredded beef, sour cream chicken and chile verde chicken. All three were very good, with the strong lime taste making the chile verde chicken enchilada my favorite.

http://www.roadfood.com/Reviews/Writeup.aspx?ReviewID=3525&RefID=3618

Time to start some exploring! I came to Tulsa to see some of the beautiful and interesting architecture. I spent the next few hours driving around and seeing as many as I could. Most of these are art deco.

Tulsa Monument Company

Fire Alarm Building

Tulsa Union Depot

Oklahoma Natural Gas Building

Tulsa Warehouse Market

Expo Square Pavilion

Cain's Ballroom

While visiting the Marquette School,

I noticed that the restaurant across the street was a Doe's Eat Place.

I had forgotten they had one of these wonderful steak houses in Tulsa. Obviously, this one is way newer and nicer looking than the ones I have been to. Unfortunately, since this was a Sunday, they were closed.

More to come.....

ChiTownDiner

RE: Livin' on Tulsa Time Tue, 05/27/08 1:48 PM (permalink)
                    I love enchilada plates...your's looks great! How many varities could you choose from?

Twinwillow

• Total Posts: 4898
                      RE: Livin' on Tulsa Time Tue, 05/27/08 1:49 PM (permalink)
                      Re: The menu board at Sid's. Note the "freedom fries" and "freedom toast. Good old patriotic, conservative middle America. Gotta love ya!

buffetbuster

RE: Livin' on Tulsa Time Tue, 05/27/08 2:39 PM (permalink)
                        Sunday May 25 cont.

Ready to eat again, I headed for Coney I-Lander to throw down some chili dogs. I had called earlier in the week and the young lady who answered the phone reassured me that they were open on Sunday and Monday. As soon as I pulled up and saw no cars, I knew I was in trouble. The sign on the door said they were closing for Sunday and Memorial Day. Yup, I was Travelin Manned again!

Needing to hit a bathroom, I spotted a Braum's right down the street. I ate in one of these ice cream stores when I was in Salina, Kansas just a few months ago. So after using the facilities, I decided a hot fudge sundae was appropriate.

The ice cream flavors shown here are mint chocolate chip, German chocolate and peppermint. I especially liked the fact that they really loaded me up with hot fudge. Good sundae!

I had plans to make the 50 mile drive up to Bartlesville for the rest of the afternoon, but there was one more stop I had to make before leaving Tulsa.

The Golden Driller is 76 feet high and weighs 43,500 lbs. I love seeing stuff like this! It was worth coming to Tulsa just to see the Golden Driller!

My first stop in Bartlesville was Murphy's Steak House.

A cow sign up front and another sign saying they are "Home of....."? Plus a motto of "Gravy Over All"? This is my kind of place! The thing to order here is the hot hamburger.

Obviously, this is not the typical hamburger. Unfortunately, you can't see the patty, but this dish is just as much about the fries and the gravy, as it is about the meat. One note about the hamburger patty.....in the review, the Sterns say the beef patty is hacked up, but mine was perfectly intact.

As I sat at the counter, I was eyeing up the pie case. I asked my waitress if the pies were homemade or not. She told me that some of them were. I assured her we will be talking more about that later.

While I was eating, a couple sat down next to me. When she saw me taking photos, she started asking me questions. Once she discovered I was from out of town, she decided to tell me about every sight in the state of Oklahoma.

Normally, I very much enjoy interacting with the locals. And I appreciate people giving me tips on things to do and see. But this woman would not leave me alone! I went from listening intently, to feigning interest, to ignoring her, to finally considering jamming a fork into my left ear. I ate as quick as I could and gave no thought to dessert. So again, no pie!

Another strange thing at Murphy's.....my waitress here was calling me sweetie. Now, those who travel in the South or Midwest know this is hardly unusual. But considering my waitress was no older than 18, that was a little strange. You usually see that in waitresses my age or older.

http://www.roadfood.com/Reviews/Writeup.aspx?ReviewID=3214&RefID=3278

More to come.....

ChiTownDiner

RE: Livin' on Tulsa Time Tue, 05/27/08 3:41 PM (permalink)
                          How much for the Ballroom Dancing lessons?

buffetbuster

RE: Livin' on Tulsa Time Tue, 05/27/08 4:00 PM (permalink)
                            Sunday May 25 cont.

The attraction I most wanted to see in Bartlesville was Price Tower.

It is 19 stories high and is considered to be the only skyscraper designed by Frank Lloyd Wright. It is used now as an arts center & museum, plus a hotel. During my visit, I watched a short video on Mr. Wright and the building of Price Tower and then explored the museum. I really liked this hidden staircase, hidden behind a wall, in the museum.

If I had it to do over again, I would have stayed here instead of in Tulsa. Next time!

Ready to do some eating again, I drove to Dink's Pit Bar-B-Que.

As soon as I got out of the car, the smell of barbecue hit me. This has to be one of the great smelling Roadfood places.

Since I had eaten so much beef already during the weekend and planned on eating more, I went for the pig platter instead.

Covered in their sweet, tasty barbecue sauce this was some really good pork. I especially liked the crusty burnt ends of the pig meat. Notice how a single green onion comes with it? Never seen that before. As much as I was looking forward to dipping the toast into the bbq sauce, the toast ended up being too hard.

The platter comes with two sides, so I chose the pork infused green beans and the fried okra, both of which were quite good.

The place didn't have much in the way of decoration, but this caught my eye.

I had no idea there were so many different types of barbed wire.

By the way, my waitress Laurie had nine tables in the section I was sitting in and it was really something to see her hustling and keeping everyone happy. She did a tremendous job. Besides, don't you think Laurie is a great name for a girl in Oklahoma?

http://www.roadfood.com/Reviews/Writeup.aspx?ReviewID=3201&RefID=3269

More to come.....

ann peeples

• Total Posts: 8317
                              RE: Livin' on Tulsa Time Tue, 05/27/08 4:14 PM (permalink)
                              I just love traveling with you through your words and photos.I learn so much AND appreciate your insight.Thanks, BB!!

buffetbuster

RE: Livin' on Tulsa Time Tue, 05/27/08 4:25 PM (permalink)
                                What a nice comment! Thank you so much annpeeples.

Nancypalooza

• Total Posts: 3778
                                  RE: Livin' on Tulsa Time Tue, 05/27/08 4:37 PM (permalink)
                                  I have to admire a man who gets a sundae when he makes a facilities stop. Oh, and that pig from Dink's looks soooo good.

buffetbuster

RE: Livin' on Tulsa Time Tue, 05/27/08 5:42 PM (permalink)
                                    Nancy, I look at it this way. If I go in and use the bathroom, the least I can do is buy something. And if that something just happens to be a three scoop hot fudge sundae, well, I think everyone is happy!

By the way, I loved the idea of a barbecue/salon business. No doubt, it would be a big hit among everyone here at Roadfood. I think I could at least count on Ellen as a client. Reminds me of a phone conversation I had last week. I was trying to reach Billy's, in Elk City, OK, which appeared in the 2002 Roadfood edition.
                                    I dialed the number in the book and the lady answering the phone said,

Her - "Such and such hair salon"
                                    Me - "Oh, I was trying to reach Billy's"
                                    Her - "The burger joint? They are out of business. The owner passed away a few years ago."
                                    Me - "I'm so sorry to hear that. So how are your burgers?"

The lady was so nice that she went ahead and recommended a place in town to get a burger. Oklahomans are so nice!

The Travelin Man

• Total Posts: 3698
                                      RE: Livin' on Tulsa Time Tue, 05/27/08 6:05 PM (permalink)
                                      Well, you fooled me. I was figuring that you had made it to Oral Roberts and missed out on the Golden Driller. I am glad to hear that things turned out this way - giant golden guy drilling for oil trumps praying hands any day.

BTW - your report is so thorough, but it appears as though you forgot to take pictures of the cute wait staff. I think we would all be able to get a better feel for your journey if you posted pictures of the 18 year-old hottie that was calling you "hon!" It will also help wanderingjew select his next vacation destination if you could provide their heights and weights, as well.

The key is in the details, my friend.

buffetbuster

RE: Livin' on Tulsa Time Tue, 05/27/08 6:18 PM (permalink)
                                        TTM-
                                        Nah, with it being a holiday weekend, all the college bookstores were going to be closed anyway. And you are correct sir, a giant golden guy drilling trumps just about everything!

When I first saw my waitress at Murphy's Steak House, I thought she might not be old enough for a driver's license. I know her only intention was to be friendly and she was undoubtedly mimicing the older waitresses. But still, it was a little strange.

Now, the waitresses at the sports bar (Emerson Biggins and no, I am not making that name up) where I watched Game 1 of the Stanley Cup Finals wore sexy little referee outfits. Maybe wanderingjew should go there!

mayor al

• Total Posts: 15064
                                          • Location: Louisville area, Southern Indiana
                                          • Roadfood Insider
                                          RE: Livin' on Tulsa Time Tue, 05/27/08 6:22 PM (permalink)

Be careful what you wish for, Boys ! BB can be an old smoothie when he wants to be !! We need to hook WJ to the BB travel group! There is always hope !

cecif

• Total Posts: 1412
                                            RE: Livin' on Tulsa Time Tue, 05/27/08 6:24 PM (permalink)
                                            quote:
                                            Originally posted by Nancypalooza

Cliff, why do your trip reports sometimes make me burp? :)

Two days later Nancy and I am STILL laughing...!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And I am still going, "Ohmigawd" about Jiggs. I want a Pigsickle!!!

Great great stuff, as ever BB.

buffetbuster

RE: Livin' on Tulsa Time Tue, 05/27/08 6:29 PM (permalink)
                                              Al-
                                              What you don't know is that this is how the conversation with the waitress at Dreamland BBQ went.....

Me - Hey baby, its only 11:00AM and this is already my fourth meal today!
                                              Her - Now where did I leave my pepper spray?

The Travelin Man

• Total Posts: 3698
                                                RE: Livin' on Tulsa Time Tue, 05/27/08 6:32 PM (permalink)
                                                They don't call him The Big Kolache for nuttin'!

tiki

RE: Livin' on Tulsa Time Tue, 05/27/08 6:34 PM (permalink)
                                                  quote:
                                                  Originally posted by ChiTownDiner

How much for the Ballroom Dancing lessons?

The Cains Ballroom is not your average ballroom dancing establishment---it was for many years the Home of Bob Wills ---the King of Western Swing--(Tulsa was and still may be the capitol of western swing)--and has seen many country and rock stars since---we were just up there a few months back to hang oiut with an old friend of ours that stopped in there---Lucinda Williams--and then a week or so later my now deceased friend DC Mineer was given a "Spot" award --the Tulsa "Grammy"--there. It really is an Oklahoma musical institution snf has been for a very long time.

wanderingjew

• Total Posts: 7386
                                                    • Location: East Greenwich/ Warwick, RI
                                                    • Roadfood Insider
                                                    RE: Livin' on Tulsa Time Tue, 05/27/08 6:36 PM (permalink)
                                                    quote:
                                                    Originally posted by Al-The Mayor-Bowen
                                                    [We need to hook WJ to the BB travel group! There is always hope !

Al,

If you remember the photo from my cell phone of the girl I was dating (I know Paul does!) you should know "my type" that I've been falling for lately!!

buffetbuster

RE: Livin' on Tulsa Time Tue, 05/27/08 6:41 PM (permalink)
                                                      cecif-
                                                      The pigsickle was definitely a keeper. Do you think it looks good from the photo or is it the name? Truthfully, when they first set it down at my table, I thought it looked like a mess. Luckily, it turned out to be a delcious mess!

tiki-
                                                      Thanks for the history lesson on Cain's Ballroom. I had no idea. Bob Wills.....that is really cool.

CTD-
                                                      Can you imagine what someone would have to charge to teach me ballroom dancing?

cecif

• Total Posts: 1412
                                                        • Location: Was MA, now UK
                                                        RE: Livin' on Tulsa Time Tue, 05/27/08 6:50 PM (permalink)
                                                        quote:
                                                        Originally posted by buffetbuster

cecif-
                                                        The pigsickle was definitely a keeper. Do you think it looks good from the photo or is it the name? Truthfully, when they first set it down at my table, I thought it looked like a mess. Luckily, it turned out to be a delcious mess!

I think both, but primarily the description...

...and I vote for a list of the buildings, please. The FLW was *quite* a treat!

buffetbuster

RE: Livin' on Tulsa Time Tue, 05/27/08 7:18 PM (permalink)
                                                          Sunday May 25 cont.

After returning to Tulsa, I was feeling a bit tired. So, I checked into the hotel and took a quick nap. When I woke up, I was running out of daylight. So instead of seeing some more sights, I headed out for one last meal of the day.

I headed for the Wilson's BBQ location on Apache.

You have to love a place with a slogan like, "U Need No Teeth to Eat Our Beef".

I was the only white person here, but as always, I was treated extremely well. The young lady who waited on me had lots of personality and made my visit here even more fun. Plenty of great sounding food on the menu and the loud thump of the meat cleaver hacking up bbq in the back was a great sign.

Here is what I got.....a sausage, chopped beef combo, with sides of potato salad and bbq beans. The sausage

was spicy, peppery and although not Elgin great, was still excellent. The chopped beef

comes unsauced and is so moist and full of flavor, none is needed. But it would be a shame to miss out on their tasty bbq sauce.

The potato salad is whipped and sweet and I really enjoyed it. But, it paled in comparison to the fantastic bbq beans. Full of their sauce and chunks of meat, I could have eaten a whole lot of these!

Previously, I has asked my waitress if I should order the potato salad or the cole slaw. She told me she doen't eat either one. Later, I asked if I should order a slice of the sweet potato or buttermilk pie. Once again, she told me she didn't like either one. Not exactly ringing endorsements, huh?

I went ahead and told her to give me a piece of the buttermilk pie. By the time I was done eating, she had forgotten and there was now a very long line ordering take-outs at the counter. So once again, circumstances conspired against bringing me & pie together.

No doubt about it, Wilson's BBQ clearly was the best meal of the trip.

http://www.roadfood.com/Reviews/Writeup.aspx?ReviewID=3504&RefID=3602

Back to the hotel for the night.

More to come.....

buffetbuster

RE: Livin' on Tulsa Time Tue, 05/27/08 7:31 PM (permalink)
                                                            quote:
                                                            Originally posted by cecif

...and I vote for a list of the buildings, please. The FLW was *quite* a treat!
                                                            No problem. I will go back and attach the names of all the buildings in the photos. I better do it as soon as I can while my memory is still fresh.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                              Change Page: < 1234 > | Showing page 2 of 4, messages 31 to 60 of 97

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com