Hot!Local Breakfast Eateries?

Page: 12345.. > >> Showing page 1 of 7
Author
juliev
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 147
2004/12/28 06:13:20 (permalink)

Local Breakfast Eateries?

What places in your local area do you love to frequent for a yummy breakfast?

I like to go to a place called The Dutch Village. It's located in the small town of Clymer, NY--HUGE omelets! On Sundays, they have a breakfast buffet that is to die for.

189 Replies Related Threads

nvb
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 468
    RE: Local Breakfast Eateries? 2004/12/28 08:29:03 (permalink)
    Not much of a choice here, so it's normally the Dairy Queen for me.
    Leania_1stone
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 208
    RE: Local Breakfast Eateries? 2004/12/28 08:32:52 (permalink)
    I like to go to the gas station and get breakfast :) I live in a town of about 260 ppl and we have a small gas station and they make breakfast and lunch there they have really wonderful gravy and biscuts (spelling)? I'll order from there once and a while and walk the block to go pick it up :)

wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7686
    RE: Local Breakfast Eateries? 2004/12/28 08:55:32 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Slick

Not much of a choice here, so it's normally the Dairy Queen for me.

I'm so sorry to hear that!
    http://yp.yahoo.com/py/ypResults.py?&&city=Farmersville&state=TX&uzip=75442&country=us&msa=1920&cs=4&ed=AArCv61o2TwnZDx7BjftwSo.tz4g4VjHEsNTTAsVpJxs&stp=y&stx=8903827
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18272
    RE: Local Breakfast Eateries? 2004/12/28 09:19:02 (permalink)
    Two places in Bexley, Ohio -- the Grill & Skillet and Cookie's -- and, of course, Waffle House.
    seafarer john
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3481
    RE: Local Breakfast Eateries? 2004/12/28 09:34:13 (permalink)
    In Highland , NY (a little hamlet across the Hudson from Poughkeepsie) is the Highland Cafe, a storefront lunch room run by a CIA trained chef who cooks up very original breakfasts - fancy pancakes, wraps, omelettes, and French toasts- besides all the usual breakfast items that are available. theplace is worth a detour.

Also in Kingston, NY on Broadway is a new place, The Joyous Cafe which is serving excellent breakfasts and lunches - imaginative, and well executed - also run by a CIA trained chef.

Cheers, John
    wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7686
    RE: Local Breakfast Eateries? 2004/12/28 09:59:12 (permalink)
    Where I grew up in Merrick NY I would hit the now defunct Wolfie's Deli for breakfast. Their Lox, Eggs and Onions were a hit, as well as their home fries. The East Bay Diner in Bellmore NY was also a hit. Their Feta and Spinach Omelet with homefries and a Bagel really hit the spot.

When I moved to Seattle WA, the Brown Bag Cafe in Kirkland WA was walking distance from my apartment. The Banana Pecan Pancakes were delish. I used to take my dates to the Maltby Cafe, a 20 minute drive in the country for their incredible Cheddar Jack Turkey Omelets with Sour Cream.

Pittsburgh had a plethora of great breakfast joints. The Gab n Eat in Carnegie, CC's in Mt Lebanon, Tom's Diner in Dormont for their Gyro Omelets and Pamela's in Shadyside for their Banana Crepe Pancakes. The Local Chain, Eat n Park also had a decent breakfast buffet.

Here in RI, Jiggers Diner in East Greenwich is walking distance from my condo. The Jonny Cakes are authentic and delicious. You can also get the local coffee milk there too. A 20 minute drive north to Pawtucket, the Modern Diner always has 2 dozen specials on their chalk board and there is always a line on weekends.
    tmiles
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1965
    RE: Local Breakfast Eateries? 2004/12/28 10:54:40 (permalink)
    Puffin's, Main St, Millbury Massachusetts. Breakfast and lunch along with dinner on Friday, is what the sign says. I can only vouch for the excellent breakfast and lunch. It is a small place. The few tables are often full, but you can usually elbow your way to the counter. Wear boots in the winter, because the unpaved parking lot can be a mess. Madams on Rt 140 near the Milford Upton line is a little more upscale and does breakfast only except for special occasions. I think that the place is gay owned, and it has a special flair seldom found at a breakfast place. Madams is what I would call a destination breakfast, because people will often travel many miles to get there. The food and service is both excellent and interesting.
    Lucky Bishop
    • Total Posts : 1049
    RE: Local Breakfast Eateries? 2004/12/28 14:32:57 (permalink)
    Just in the neighborhood, it's almost always Zaftig's, a deli in Coolidge Corner, and at Zaftig's, it's almost always the salami and eggs, although the lox plate is pretty sweet too. There's also a Greek diner on Harvard Ave that does a good and inexpensive breakfast.

If I'm getting out of the neighborhood, Centre Street Cafe in Jamaica Plain gets a lot of my business. And I'm still mourning the closing of Johnny's on Mass Ave, which means that there's really not a single decent breakfast place in Harvard Square anymore. (There's still a Johnny's in Newton Center, but how often am I out in the burbs at breakfast time?) Steve's on Newbury Street, yet another Greek diner, does an excellent breakfast as well.
    sugarlander
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 254
    RE: Local Breakfast Eateries? 2004/12/28 15:04:50 (permalink)
    59 Diner in Houston for the very best migas and French toast (thin, with cinnamon.)
    harriet1954
    • Total Posts : 1154
    RE: Local Breakfast Eateries? 2004/12/28 20:16:12 (permalink)
    We don't go out for breakfast much these days with Bill's crazy schedule, but if we get the chance, it's probably going to be at "our" diner, the White Horse Diner in picturesque Berlin, New Jersey. And you can fill your tank at the Coastal gas station across the pike for $1.66 as of a few days ago.

You cannot beat the prices or food quality at our diner. They should get us to do a commercial.
    DaveM
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 353
    RE: Local Breakfast Eateries? 2004/12/29 14:47:34 (permalink)
    Lucky Bishop, what is the name of the Greek diner on Harvard Ave... as so many diners have changed hands and names recently?
    Heather and I love to frequent the Deluxe Town Diner in Coolidge Sq. in Watertown.
    Great coffee, and a lot of little extras like sour cream mixed in with the buttermilk pancake mix, the smell of oregano from Mediterranean sausage cooking on the grill, and big thick slices of challah bread for French Toast..a little pricey, but worth it.
    A diet wary friend of ours dined with us there and was able to order ployes, which are French Canadian buckwheat pancakes, and not something found on very many menus.
    Other favorite places are the Maine Diner, when visiting Mom in Kennebunkport. Henry's Diner in Burlington,VT or Sneaker's in Winooski,VT are great in northern VT, and The Fort, a truck stop (exit 18 off I-89) in Lebanon,NH-good food and filling too.
    Wistah
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 210
    RE: Local Breakfast Eateries? 2004/12/29 19:09:34 (permalink)
    Here in my part of central MA, Britney's Cafe on route 20 in Northboro is the absolute best for breakfast...all of the standard dishes plus a lot of creative breakfast fare, all high quality food and lots of it for the reasonable prices. They even have decent biscuits and gravy, which is rare in "these here parts".

Another thing that I like about them is that you have a choice of their excellent hash browns or home fries....the hash browns for me make it worth the trip for those alone....home made and absolutley the best.

One downside is that they fill up fast, even tho they recently doubled their size.

Or if you really need to fill 'er up, go further west to Carl's Uxbridge Diner.....the most ridiculously large portions of breakfast food that I have ever seen....I ordered a keilbasa and egg sandwich....regular size bun with egg and cheese with a 16" kielbasa link hanging out of the little bun.

fcbaldwin
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 388
    RE: Local Breakfast Eateries? 2004/12/29 20:24:48 (permalink)

In the small rural community where I live, in Powhatan County, Va., there are only a handful of places to eat at all. But, a really great little place for breakfast, lunch, and dinner, all fixed like home cookin', is The County Seat, shown here:

Breakfast is served buffet style, and it offers what you would expect: a big steam table with eggs, home fries, bacon, sausage, grits, biscuits. Also, there are pastries, fruits, etc.

You just walk in, grab a plate, and start serving yourself. When you find a place to sit, a waitperson comes by to take your beverage order.

I really like this place.

Frank

marberthenad
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 509
    RE: Local Breakfast Eateries? 2004/12/29 22:05:11 (permalink)
    Two places in my neighborhood in Washington, DC -- the first is Jimmy T's -- an old diner located just a stone's throw from Capitol Hill. The second is the Market Lunch in DC's Eastern Market a must stop for anyone visiting DC -- their breakfasts and crab cakes are famous. Lineups out the door every Saturday.
    mr chips
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4724
    RE: Local Breakfast Eateries? 2004/12/30 04:20:37 (permalink)
    The Bijou cafe and Caffe Fresco are the best spots in Porland. I am also very fond of a small cafe in the Sellwood are of Portland called Bertie Lou's Cafe
    kozel
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 825
    RE: Local Breakfast Eateries? 2004/12/30 09:02:48 (permalink)
    Maureen's Kitchen
    (631) 360-9227
    1 Larson Ave
    Smithtown, NY 11787

Only open for breakfast and lunch.
    Dipstick
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 338
    RE: Local Breakfast Eateries? 2004/12/30 09:21:37 (permalink)
    There is a small strip mall on my way to work with a breakfast/lunch place that hits the spot. It's called Fat Nat's Eggs, and for $2.99 you get a pretty good three-egg Denver omlette with a bisquit.
    tiki
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4140
    RE: Local Breakfast Eateries? 2004/12/30 10:18:08 (permalink)
    JM's in Eufala Ok----open for breakfast lunch and dinner--but my favorite is breakfast!!! wonderful Ham and eggs--Pork chops and eggs--pancakes--biscuit and gravy--and all in a place that looks like it could be 1947--or 67--or 87---JM's seen em all and survuved! --and waitresses with an uncanny ability to remember their customers no matter how long its been--and never let your coffee cup--or ice tea glass--get empty! My favorite wintertime early morning eating place of all time! I'll have the Pork chops,ma'm--with scrambled eggs---moist! and extra biscuits at this table too please!

and when i'm in California---Chico"s Morning Thunder--BIG breakfasts--- they easily feed two hungry folks--excellent coffee--and the best looking,most friendly,and well trained professional waitstaff i know of !
    Lucky Bishop
    RE: Local Breakfast Eateries? 2004/12/30 17:23:50 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by DaveM

Lucky Bishop, what is the name of the Greek diner on Harvard Ave... as so many diners have changed hands and names recently?

Ummmm...you know, I'm not entirely sure. It's next door to the consignment furniture store, across the street from Blanchard's, on the south side of Brighton Ave. I think it might be called Steve's Kitchen.
    Ort. Carlton.
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3589
    RE: Local Breakfast Eateries? 2004/12/30 17:51:42 (permalink)
    Dearfolk,
    Athens, Georgia is blessed with several great breakfast places. My favorites are The Gateway Cafe' on North Avenue, S & W Cafe on Atlanta Highway, Mayflower Restaurant downtown on East Broad Street, The Grill on College Avenue downtown, and my own personal favorite - The Royal Cafe' at 175-B Tallassee Road, in the space previously occupied by The Normaltown Cafe' and run by the Normaltown's previous day prep cook and her husband. They serve breakfast at all open hours, too, which is sometimes a blessing.
    I have not been to Mama Shug's in downtown Winterville, Georgia, but reports filtering back to me indicate excellence.
    The Silver Screen Grill on U. S. 78 in downtown Crawford, Georgia serves breakfast at all open hours, and has a wicked Greek omelette that is well worth the 15-mile drive out there. When gasoline falls below $1.50 a gallon, I'll do some venturing to these "distant" outposts of culinary charm and report back.
    Y'all making me hungry.
    Rumblingly, Ort. Carlton in 30601-Central.
    martah
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 5
    RE: Local Breakfast Eateries? 2005/01/12 09:09:44 (permalink)
    For your next visit to Duluth, Mn, there's the New London Cafe on Superior St. at 47th Ave. E. A small place with good egg scramble skillets, french toast and great coffee/espresso. And there's Yanni's, which used to be Louis', but has pretty much the same menu, with delicious gyro omelets and perfect hash browns. Oh, and the malty-tasting pancakes that come on the the side with an egg order barely fit on a large plate. London Rd. at about 14th Ave. E., on the lake side (you can watch the boat traffic on this end of Lake Superior from the dining room).
    mek
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 123
    RE: Local Breakfast Eateries? 2005/01/12 09:22:32 (permalink)
    In Baltimore- Jimmy's in Fell's Point, Sip'N'Bite in Canton, Cafe Hon and Mike's Place in Hampden, Honey Bee Diner in Glen Burnie, Ashland Cafe in Timonium.
    pacman
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 160
    RE: Local Breakfast Eateries? 2005/01/12 09:46:20 (permalink)
    Not a great number of choices in our little area but we do have a couple. The first is Jay's Tiffany Northside Restaurant, on N 4th St, Sunbury, PA. The place was originally a Dutch Pantry, but, long before that chain went 'belly up' it was purchased by a local businessman that has another more 'up scale' restaurant in the area. There menu is a combination of Pa Dutch and hometown restaurant. They have some very good breakfasts.

The second is the 4 Seasons Diner located in Hummels Wharf, Pa. (Right along US 11/15 just a short distant from the site of the former BIFF BURGER that closed in 2001). Doesn't really look like a diner, the building has been a couple differnt restaurants over the years. Breakfast is served 24 hours a day(from 6am to 10am a more extensive breakfast menu is available). Their Creamed Chipped Beef with home fries is quite good and for an extra BUCK you can have the CCB 'Over All', thats what I do. My wife is quite fond of their omlets as well.

aharste
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 80
    RE: Local Breakfast Eateries? 2005/01/12 09:54:31 (permalink)
    Ahh, breakfast, my favorite meal of the day. Some of our favorites in the Twin Cities, MN:

The Windmill, Savage, MN (Great no frills breakfast, good buttermilk pancakes)
    The Uptown Bar & Cafe, Mpls, MN (The omlettes & hash browns are fabulous, but the hot turkey sandwich is also not to be missed)
    Flamburger on Central Ave (awesome hash browns)
    Capital View Cafe, Smith Ave, St Paul (breakfast burritos)

Places we love when we travel:
    Lynn's Paradise Cafe, Louisville, KY
    Margy's, Asheville, NC
    Bongo Room and Flo, Chicago
    Diana's, Charleston, SC
    Acme Cantina (shrimp grits) on Isle of Palms, SC
    BaconBits
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 71
    RE: Local Breakfast Eateries? 2005/01/12 11:45:09 (permalink)
    I take myself to breakfast every weekend - sometimes both Saturday and Sunday. Only rarely do I have company (my friends like to sleep in for some reason!!). Anyway - my favorites are:

Vselka (2nd ave and 9th street) - amazing kielbasa
    Le Pain Quotidien (5th ave and 8th st?) - great cheese and coffee
    French Roast/L'express (park ave south and 18? and 6th ave and 11th?)- tasty omelets
    Sunflower diner (3rd and 25th street?) - basic diner - but very fresh
    Normas - Parker Meridian - amazing. outrageous. perfect.

I'm always on the lookout for new breakfast places - so any other NYers, please share!!
    waltpiii
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 402
    RE: Local Breakfast Eateries? 2005/01/12 12:11:40 (permalink)
    In Vernon, CT, try the Vernon Diner. It is just off I 84. Two eggs, bacon, hash browns, toast, coffee and juice is under $5.

In Ellingtion, CT, try the Chuck Wagon. Open only for breakfast and lunch. Great home made sausage patty.
    Lucky Bishop
    RE: Local Breakfast Eateries? 2005/01/12 13:46:41 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by waltpiii

In Vernon, CT, try the Vernon Diner. It is just off I 84. Two eggs, bacon, hash browns, toast, coffee and juice is under $5.

Be warned that you get what you pay for. I was very disappointed by this place, which I found utterly mediocre. Unfortunately, we'd had to make an early start out of Hartford, and no place else was open. I would have preferred a breakfast at Rein's, but what can you do.
    garykg6
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 358
    RE: Local Breakfast Eateries? 2005/01/12 14:14:57 (permalink)
    In Tampa,Fl. I go to 'Subworld'on Dale Mabre HWY,real diner breakfasts(fantastic),all cooked to order by the owner.alternately,on Florida ave. we have the 'Pinegrove'which also has good breakfasts. What you cannot get in Tampa is a good donut or muffin(we have all the usual chains,etc.)which I sorely miss.
    Hiram Callahan
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 116
    RE: Local Breakfast Eateries? 2005/01/12 20:17:10 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by BaconBits

I take myself to breakfast every weekend - sometimes both Saturday and Sunday. Only rarely do I have company (my friends like to sleep in for some reason!!). Anyway - my favorites are:

Vselka (2nd ave and 9th street) - amazing kielbasa
    Le Pain Quotidien (5th ave and 8th st?) - great cheese and coffee
    French Roast/L'express (park ave south and 18? and 6th ave and 11th?)- tasty omelets
    Sunflower diner (3rd and 25th street?) - basic diner - but very fresh
    Normas - Parker Meridian - amazing. outrageous. perfect.

I'm always on the lookout for new breakfast places - so any other NYers, please share!!

Let's see . . .

If you like Veselka, there are more Polish places in that neighborhood. My favorite is Little Poland (2nd Ave. between 12th and 13th). I have sung its praises elsewhere on this site, but it is the real Eastern European deal. On the same block of 1st Ave. is the Neptune, which is better on nice days, because it has a Polish beer garden out back.

On 10th Street between 3rd and 4th (Yes, Virginia, there IS a Fourth Avenue in New York, but it's not very long) is Danal. They do a truly excellent--and quite reasonable for New York--brunch. If you like cafe au lait, order one there--it comes in a bowl. The decor is also lovely and there's a garden in nice weather. The only possible problem for you is that they don't open till 11. I hope you can stay up that late . . .

Elephant & Castle in the Village (Greenwich Ave. between 6th Ave. and 7th Ave.) is also terrific, especially if you like guacamole or home fries. Both are excellent there, as is the coffee.

Finally, when you can't stand in line at Friend of a Farmer for another minute, go one block east on 18th to the Sunburst coffee bar. They do a truly lovely breakfast menu (eggs, frittate, blintzes, crepes, etc.) even if they're a little odd. For example, when they say it comes with toast, you get one piece. On the other hand, for $3.50 you get eggs, meat, potatoes, and, before 11:30, a cup of coffee.

Can you tell what I like to do of a weekend morning?

Page: 12345.. > >> Showing page 1 of 7
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1