Marlins, Moros, Mamey and the Miracle Mile

Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3 - Powered by APG vNext Trial
Author
wanderingjew
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7892
2013/06/23 20:36:13 (permalink)

Marlins, Moros, Mamey and the Miracle Mile

A few weeks ago I was on a 3 day weekend trip to Miami.
I've promised to do this trip report before it even started and my life has been incredibly busy that I can barely stand to look at a computer screen. 

One thing before I begin, all of these photos are untouched. I did not have time to photo shop them, they are raw. So if they all don't look clear and pristine then c'est la vie...

Saturday June 1

I left  TF Green on a non stop flight to Ft Lauderdale... After arriving and waiting in a longer than what I would consider normal line for my rental, I made my way to the Hotel in Doral just west of Miami Airport and met up with Travelin Man and his buddies Amanda and Brian..

Travelin Man and company had just gotten into town the night before to catch the the beginning of the Marlin's series against the Mets.

ironically our first stop was in the direction from whence I came

Le Tub

In Hollywood, just south of Ft Lauderdale

Probably the only toilet themed burger joint in the country as if you couldn't already tell..

I was actually relieved to know that we wouldn't be sitting on the pot as we were eating our meals..

Seating options are indoors our .....we chose to sit outside...and be forewarned...

at your discretion...

As we arrived we were joined by two additional friends of the Travelin Man..

Since I'm back in the tropics. the whole microbrew thing just doesn't make sense here...however...

This does! 

Although there are several menu options...It's the burgers that you want. I've never been here before but I know that Le Tub has made several "best burgers in the country" lists and I was completely looking forward to some ground cow...

I ordered mine medium, and opted for the basics with swiss cheese.. As my lunch arrived, I observed that those for those who ordered swiss, our burgers arrived "smashed" while those that ordered  american (or was it cheddar) received a  more photo worthy burger...But forget the aesthetics....this was one fine burger worthy of what could be a best burger award of the year....I can't say it's the best the burger I ever had (that distinction still goes to The Sport Bar and Restaurant in Livingston MT) but it certainly lived up to it's expectations and then some....

Observing this sign when I first walked in

I beckoned to its call..

I ordered a slice of Key Lime Pie for the table to share...
As you can tell by the color, this is the real deal...It was cool and refreshing...but I'll admit I'll take the Le Tub burger over their pie any day...

After lunch...I admired this nice view of the Causeway just next door to Le Tub

Finally  I am arriving at what is once again my last official ballpark that I've never been to...
This was my first view of Marlins Park in Miami as we arrived...

Home of the newly named "Miami Marlins" this is the second season for the brand new ballpark, built right over the now demolished Orange Bowl... The Marlins Ballpark offers a retractable roof...Considering that we were going to expect a typical June Miami day (90 degrees with lots of humidity and a guaranteed down pour sometime in late afternoon) the roof was closed..

Once inside the  ballpark, a stop at the Bobblehead Museum was a must..

Not only do they feature ballplayers past and present...

but they feature their mascots as well...

There were a couple of unique features about the ballpark...

The state of the art scoreboard...

The aquarium (with fish) behind home plate...

and this tropical beach...Whenever one of the Marlins score a home run, the marlins circle around and water spouts upwards into the air... 

And for your listening and dancing pleasure.... the ballpark even has it's own South Beach nightclub 

The Clevelander....an offshoot of the original South Beach location..

The game itself was a good one......if you're a Marlins Fan...However the two Mets fans sitting besides me certainly didn't think so....With very poor offense...I believe this was the game when the Mets scored one run towards the end of the game...avoiding a complete blow out... 
All I kept thinking was I couldn't believe this was the same team that swept my Yankees earlier that week!

Look like I had a couple of disappointed Mets fans to console at the end the game...

After the game...we headed to South Beach for dinner...

Much more to come...

but I'll leave you with the Marlins Mascot..

Billy Marlin 
post edited by wanderingjew - 2013/06/24 19:21:01

78 Replies Related Threads

MetroplexJim
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4193
    Re:Marlins, Moros, Mamey and the Miracle Mile 2013/06/23 21:14:39 (permalink)
    Marlins Park is without doubt an engineering marvel, but it is an aesthetic disaster.

If you must, put a frigging dome over Camden Yards, PNC, or the Fens and you might have something.
    TJ Jackson
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4594
    Re:Marlins, Moros, Mamey and the Miracle Mile 2013/06/23 21:37:36 (permalink)
    but.....but........Miami is not in the Midwest, so you're not allowed to eat burgers there.......

who are you, and what have you done with WJ?
    love2bake
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1419
    Re:Marlins, Moros, Mamey and the Miracle Mile 2013/06/24 00:06:16 (permalink)
    Okay--so I'm a bit bummed after the recent Giants' series with the Marlins, but c'est la vie.  The bobblehead museum looks like fun and is a great idea.  Some of ours lately have been kinda off, though--they don't look like the person at all and/or have strange expressions on their faces.  " />

That key lime pie looks outrageous.  I want to think it was perfect--not to sweet, not too tart.
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10324
    Re:Marlins, Moros, Mamey and the Miracle Mile 2013/06/24 01:16:08 (permalink)
    Only Major League Ballpark with a Minor League Team!
    wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    Re:Marlins, Moros, Mamey and the Miracle Mile 2013/06/24 07:25:11 (permalink)
    TJ

I have absolutely no idea what you're talking about...

love2bake

Stay tuned...The key lime pie gets even better...
    wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    Re:Marlins, Moros, Mamey and the Miracle Mile 2013/06/24 09:08:24 (permalink)
    Oh....and the rest of the report will have more "regional flare"
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15303
    Re:Marlins, Moros, Mamey and the Miracle Mile 2013/06/24 09:22:43 (permalink)
    OK Dale, With your added commentary on regional specialties, I expect to see-
    1. Florida "Stuffies" where the stuffed clam is run over by jet-skis to resemble "Cuban" sandwiches.
    2. A flat piece of flapjust called a "Juannie-Cake" after it R I Namesake.
    3. Let us know when you arrive at a destination, and find it closed. That is bound to happen considering the company you keep.
    Looking forward to your report !!
    MetroplexJim
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4193
    Re:Marlins, Moros, Mamey and the Miracle Mile 2013/06/24 09:28:34 (permalink)
    Foodbme

Only Major League Ballpark with a Minor League Team!

Major-League Ball Park! 

Yikes! 

It's like the numbingly symmetrical Three Rivers/Riverfront/Busch stadia of the Sixties and Seventies with a dome thrown over it. 

Kinda like "The BOB" Chase Field.  You have a pool, Miami has an unsightly, moving whatever. 

At least Enron Field Minute Maid Park has a Crosley Field-like hill that comes into play.

Miami really missed some bets when they didn'y step up and sign Cespedes and Puig.
    buffetbuster
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10390
    Re:Marlins, Moros, Mamey and the Miracle Mile 2013/06/24 09:37:46 (permalink)
    .....and plenty of Cuban coffee!
    wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    Re:Marlins, Moros, Mamey and the Miracle Mile 2013/06/24 19:52:00 (permalink)
    Saturday June 1 Continued

We made our way to South Beach....although it was raining our spirts weren't dampened (Ok, at least MINE werent)

I was looking forward to a re visit of Puerto Sagua.

Ironically my last visit was with TTM 7 years prior..Irionically I've been going here for years probably since 1989 or 90, although until 2005 I simply knew it as "one of those Cuban joints on Collins Avenue" when I revisited after much hype here on the Roadfood Forum . well now in 2013 it seems we can change the name to "probably the only Cuban joint left on Collins Avenue"...

When we arrived right smack in the middle of dinner time, we  encountered a decent line of folks waiting for a table. We opted to sit at the U Shaped counter.

The menu offers a large and diverse selection of good, guality Cuban Food....

Loaves of fresh Cuban bread arrived at the table...

I was also in the mood to try something different...I remember over 15 years ago I had the opportunity to try a Mamey Ice Cream Cone in Le Calle Ocho..

This time I ordered a Mamey (pronounced "MAH-may") Shake. TTM tried some of it as well and we agreed if we were to provide a description of this sweet n creamy concoction, picture a peach and a mango mating and producing a child....you'd likely end up with a "Mamey" 

My gripe about black bean soup is that sometimes it can be too salty or just lacking in flavor.. This is quite the opposite.

And the boys ordered a round of "Maduros" 

The truly outstanding part of the meal was the main course. TTM, Brian and I all ordered the same thing. And it took about 45 minutes to prepare but it was well worth the wait...

The Seafood Paella....Loaded with sea creatures including scallops, squid, clams, fish, shrimp and even Lobster... The portions were so huge that we probably would have been better off sharing...However we  each took nearly half of our meal back to the hotel..

Puerto Sagua  to me will always be the definitive Roadfood stop whenever I'm in Miami...

Instead of partying it up on Ocean Drive (like I suggested)   we decided to head back to the hotel after our meal at Puerto Sagua....

Much more to come...

post edited by wanderingjew - 2013/06/24 19:53:28
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    Re:Marlins, Moros, Mamey and the Miracle Mile 2013/06/24 21:50:46 (permalink)
    Too bad you weren't there during the NBA Finals!
    You could have partied with LaBron!
    wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    Re:Marlins, Moros, Mamey and the Miracle Mile 2013/06/25 06:01:37 (permalink)
    ba-dum-BUMP!
    eat'mandsmile
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 3
    Re:Marlins, Moros, Mamey and the Miracle Mile 2013/06/25 15:07:20 (permalink)
    Long time lurker here....
    I finally found the nerve to sign up today...

Just want to say WJ that you should have much more comments.. You embody the true spirit of road food.

Your trip reports are the best on here
    mikeam
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 200
    Re:Marlins, Moros, Mamey and the Miracle Mile 2013/06/25 15:26:30 (permalink)
    Thanks for sharing. I love your trip reports.
    Glenn1234
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 576
    Re:Marlins, Moros, Mamey and the Miracle Mile 2013/06/25 16:36:32 (permalink)

We are frequent visitors to the Miami area, and are looking forward to these reports.   Puerto Sagua is one of our favorites.  It's close to the best, if not the best, Cuban restaurant is the area. 

Glenn and Janet

wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    Re:Marlins, Moros, Mamey and the Miracle Mile 2013/06/25 20:02:49 (permalink)
    eatmandsmile and mikeam- thanks I'm flattered  and welcome to Roadfood eatmandsmile

Glenn and Janet 

Yes, Puerto Sagua is truly my "must go to place" whenever I'm in Miami besides Joes Stone Crab ( when they're open seasonally)

I'll continue with the report tomorrow.
    I've been very very busy at work and I'm drained... I haven't even had a chance to look at the new trip reports from others...Just want to finish this report before I begin my next (and last big trip) of the year next Tuesday..
    post edited by wanderingjew - 2013/06/25 20:04:39
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18629
    Re:Marlins, Moros, Mamey and the Miracle Mile 2013/06/25 20:40:05 (permalink)
    Welcome to Roadfood eat'mandsmile. WJ's reports are great, as you said.        
    agnesrob
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1790
    Re:Marlins, Moros, Mamey and the Miracle Mile 2013/06/25 21:15:43 (permalink)
    Welcome eat'mandsmile! You are so right about WJ's reports! I always enjoy them!
    ChiTownDiner
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2981
    Re:Marlins, Moros, Mamey and the Miracle Mile 2013/06/25 22:27:54 (permalink)
    Dined at Le Tub in January and loved it!  We went deeper into the menu after spending a nice time discussing the menu with 6 Canadians just off a back to back set of cruises.  The seafood salad is not to be missed, perhaps the best I have had anywhere.  The marinated shrimp are huge, firm and ice cold.  We did the burger, fries and pie also.  My burger was a top 5'er...strong recommendation for this place!
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    Re:Marlins, Moros, Mamey and the Miracle Mile 2013/06/25 23:02:09 (permalink)
    Glad you got to visit before it disappears under the Sea!
    http://www.greenoptimistic.com/2013/06/24/miami-flooded-under-sea/
    wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    Re:Marlins, Moros, Mamey and the Miracle Mile 2013/06/26 18:55:05 (permalink)
    Thanks MH and Agnesrob

Chi Town Diner

Who knew that Le Tub was more than just burgers!...We did observe a couple next to us share some Chili and Crab Legs (later on this same couple ironically ended up parking right next to us at the gas station near the balllpark) What a bizarre coincidence!
    wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    Re:Marlins, Moros, Mamey and the Miracle Mile 2013/06/26 19:30:05 (permalink)
    Sunday June 2

I got up a little extra early to take the 20 minute drive to Coral Gables to check out a Coffee House that's received some hype around the internet...Pasion De Cielo 
    TTM decided to join me while the young ones slept...The cool thing about this place (besides the atmosphere) is you get to choose the country your single origin coffee,. and it's prepared individually, not a pourover place but the same as you would prepare an espresso. I chose Cuban, TTM chose Hawaiian. They even had Jamaican Blue Mountain. My Cuban coffee was superb...It was quite strong and flavorful....and I was quite impressed...

We returned to the hotel and the rest of the crew were up... 
    TTM did some research and he picked a place in Hialeah for breakfast..

Chico's

With a pretty full parking lot, things seemed to be promising

And with a menu primarily in Spanish, it appears TTM may have hit a home run..

After perusing the menu, we all thought...."steak and eggs" aka "El Super" why not???
    Beginning with warm crusty Cuban Bread  (probably the best of the trip)

I probably could have made a meal of just this on my own

and a carafe of cuban espresso for our cafe con leche, reminded me of what one elderly cuban fellow said to me  a couple of decades back...."strong enough to make the rooster crow"

onion and parsely mix would accompany our steaks...
    which speaking of...

Arrived shortly thereafter..Although fries normally accompany the meal, I chose Maduros (fried Plantains)
    instead.. This was a well seasoned Palomilla Steak..Not the best quality...But you get all of this for $7.00..Although little English was spoken, with the friendly service and excellent value, I would certainly return...

What to do after breakfast???? Well, perhaps another ballgame....

A return to Marlins Park was in order...

We got there early enough to check out pitching practice in the bullpen...

Also this window displayed an unobstructed panoramic view of downtown Miami...

Although you can say it was just another day at the ballpark, you see it really wasn't...Today was a special day....

It's Jewish Heritage Day....
    And yes they were passing out complimentary Kippah's which both TTM, Brian and I proudly wore on our heads...I believe TTM has photo...What set this day apart from all other days was that the Kosher concession stand was packed!

So how are the Mets going to fare against the Marlins today???

Unfortunately for TTM, Brian and Amanda....not much better than the day before...Although there appeared to be a glimmer of hope in the latter innings....that's all it was...just a glimmer.....

Much more to come...

Davydd
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6394
    Re:Marlins, Moros, Mamey and the Miracle Mile 2013/06/26 21:11:54 (permalink)
    Pretty sad attendance for major league baseball.
    wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    Re:Marlins, Moros, Mamey and the Miracle Mile 2013/06/27 08:55:33 (permalink)
    Davydd

Agreed,
    This stadium holds just over 30k
    The 1st day we were there they announced 15k attendance, we looked around and said "no way". It was probably 1/3 full. The Paw Sox here in RI have more attendees, selling out just about every game (even weekday games)
    The Travelin Man
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3759
    Re:Marlins, Moros, Mamey and the Miracle Mile 2013/06/27 09:04:17 (permalink)
    The phrase that was dropped at the ballpark was "come on down....there's plenty of good sections still available!"

I am sure that I have the photo of which WJ speaks. I will see where it is and post.
    Davydd
    Sirloin
    Re:Marlins, Moros, Mamey and the Miracle Mile 2013/06/27 09:46:57 (permalink)
    wanderingjew

Davydd

Agreed,
    This stadium holds just over 30k
    The 1st day we were there they announced 15k attendance, we looked around and said "no way". It was probably 1/3 full. The Paw Sox here in RI have more attendees, selling out just about every game (even weekday games)

Corporations buy season tickets and many of those tickets get unused but counted in attendance number announcements. And of course there are the usual independent no-shows and a goodly portion of people coming and going to concession stands and restrooms. But still...
    The Travelin Man
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3759
    Re:Marlins, Moros, Mamey and the Miracle Mile 2013/06/27 10:45:58 (permalink)
    No, the stadium is empty and the Marlins have poor corporate sponsorship in the area. They have taken to periodically closing the entire upper deck of what is already one of the three or four smallest ballparks in major league baseball.

The only good news of all of this is that if your team is in from out of town, you can probably get cheap tickets to the game.
    wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    Re:Marlins, Moros, Mamey and the Miracle Mile 2013/06/27 19:00:43 (permalink)
    Sunday June 2 Continued

Before I continue, I did not provide my assessment of the New Marlins Ballpark. Although it's a feat of Architectural Engineering and an Improvement over Joe Robbie Stadium (or whatever it decided to call itself in any given year) come to think of it ANYTHING was an improvement over Joe Robbie Stadium...there were no new grounds broken in terms of originality...Although it would have been nice to have been there when the roof was open....I don't think I'll be adding this to my list of favorite ballparks....

We had one last meal to share together before TTM and friends took off back to Hooterville...
    I'm proud of TTM, he had mentioned a restaurant in little Havana that he wanted to check out (I forgot the name of it) but before going he actually checked out the hours and found out they were closed on Sunday... I still think it would have been more fun  to spontaneously go and  find it closed.....That would have made my weekend. Instead Miami Don to the rescue...Unfortunately due to a communication glitch (his fault, not mine) we did not get to see Miami Don that weekend. Although I did text him earlier for a recommendation of a good Cuban sandwich... and he led us here...

El Latin American Cafeteria

Similar to Rays Pizza, Original Rays Famous Rays, Ray's Famous in NYC, there are many Latin American Cafeteria's strewn throughout Miami, however this apparently is the original....

I ordered their specialty- The Cuban Sandwich...I had a choice of regular or large- how often do I have a Cuban Sandwich, the glutton in me ordered a large...

The sandwich was obviously humungous and was probably one of the better Cuban Sandwiches I've had. The bread was crusty and dense and full of roast pork and ham. They even included a complimentary plantain chip to go along with my sandwich

I also ordered a side of moros or black beans and rice combination...

TTM ordered some type of pork dish and Brian ordered a really good looking but messy looking sandwich. I don't remember what it was...
    Service at El Latin American Cafeteria was indifferent, quite the opposite of Chico's earlier this morning...I would still go back to try that sandwich that Brian had...

After dinner (or late lunch) TTM and crew dropped me off at the hotel and we departed ways...

I headed to my new hotel right in the heart of Coral Gables...Parking at the hotel was a premium- $18...
    The meters run until midnight- I opted for the $12 parking garage since I didn't plan on driving anywhere till the next morning (incidentally the next morning the gate was open- there was no attendant and I ended up paying nothing)
    I took a brisk walk during the warm muggy evening around Coral Gable's famed miracle mile- their shopping and entertainment district... I passed several bars hoping to find a good local brew- I ended up at a bar/ restaurant famous for their Korean Tacos and  sat down to a refreshing Lager from the Florida Beer Co. out of Melbourne- irionically exactly where TTM and friends were heading back too.. As it turns out TTM even knows the owner...
    After my beer and my walk- I headed back to my hotel .....

One final day....on my own....by the end of the weekend... 

Davydd
    Sirloin
    Re:Marlins, Moros, Mamey and the Miracle Mile 2013/06/27 20:23:56 (permalink)
    It just goes to show you Miami Don knows his stuff. Did you get his hamburger recommendations?
    Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3 - Powered by APG vNext Trial
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Trial Version 5.1