Hot!Memory Lane: Patricia Murphy's....

Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
Author
NYNM
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3053
2005/08/19 16:42:14 (permalink)

Memory Lane: Patricia Murphy's....

See as we're on a sort of NY nostalgia trip, does anyone remember Patricia Murphy's Restaurant? I believe it was in Westchester just past the Bronx line (my family used to take the subway and a taxi before we owned a car). There may have also been a Manhattan branch, but I am referring to the one "in the country". It was the qunitessential special event family restaurant, and first on my list for Big Celebrations (like my grade school graduation).

I recall the restaurant had some sort of greenhouse and beautiful gardens with a pond and/or wishing well. They served traditional meals, especially roast beef and heavenly POPOVERS!

89 Replies Related Threads

KimChee43
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 382
    RE: Memory Lane: Patricia Murphy's.... 2005/08/19 17:04:16 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by NYNM

See as we're on a sort of NY nostalgia trip, does anyone remember Patricia Murphy's Restaurant? I believe it was in Westchester just past the Bronx line (my family used to take the subway and a taxi before we owned a car). There may have also been a Manhattan branch, but I am referring to the one "in the country". It was the qunitessential special event family restaurant, and first on my list for Big Celebrations (like my grade school graduation).

I recall the restaurant had some sort of greenhouse and beautiful gardens with a pond and/or wishing well. They served traditional meals, especially roast beef and heavenly POPOVERS!

The Sterns devoted part of a chapter to Patricia Murphy's in their "Square Meals" book and included some recipes either from or inspired by her and said establishment. Check it out, if you're able. There's "Lemon Soup", "Victor's All-White Salad Platter", "Hawaiian Chicken and Pineapple Curry", "Coffee Pearadise" and "Patricia Murphy's Popovers." Bon appetit!
    NYNM
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Memory Lane: Patricia Murphy's.... 2005/08/19 22:10:28 (permalink)
    Oh, my. So Patricia Murphy's is not just a part of my private little memory bank!!!
    Scallion1
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 418
    RE: Memory Lane: Patricia Murphy's.... 2005/08/19 22:18:40 (permalink)
    A little Googling reveals that Patricia Murphy's Candlelight had branches in Manhasset (or maybe Roslyn), Brooklyn Heights and Ft. Lauderdale, as well as the Manhattan store (on Madison Avenue, I think). I don't know about the Westchester store.
    NYNM
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Memory Lane: Patricia Murphy's.... 2005/08/19 22:25:24 (permalink)
    ooooh, but the Westcherter place I remember had those beautiful gardens ( and popovers...)(guess all the braches have popovers though....)
    tacchino
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 560
    RE: Memory Lane: Patricia Murphy's.... 2005/08/19 22:47:58 (permalink)
    NYNM:
    Any idea exactly where in Westchester this restaurant was? Are we talking more towards Yonkers, or Eastchester and Mammaroneck?
    NYNM
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Memory Lane: Patricia Murphy's.... 2005/08/19 23:08:49 (permalink)
    Don't remember. Somehow Yonkers sounds right, but not sure. Does anyone else know?
    Scallion1
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Memory Lane: Patricia Murphy's.... 2005/08/19 23:22:43 (permalink)
    Yonkers it was, which kind of surprised me.

http://www.yonkershistory.org/brooks.html
    Scallion1
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Memory Lane: Patricia Murphy's.... 2005/08/19 23:33:20 (permalink)
    quote:

Don't remember. Somehow Yonkers sounds right, but not sure. Does anyone else know?

Last bit of trivia:

(The Manhasset store) The Club House later became the popular “Antlers” meeting place for the Elks - although it was a popular meeting hall for every social affair. In 1943 it was used by the Congregational Church members, then became Patricia Murphy’s Candlelight Restaurant after 1949, and finally a steakhouse until it was demolished to make way for the new Benihana Restaurant at that site today.

Go here: http://www.bahiamarhotel.com/photogallery.htm and click on “Photo Gallery” . Go to the bottom-most picture on the left, click to enlarge it, and you’ll see a photo of the Westchester PMCR.
    seafarer john
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3481
    RE: Memory Lane: Patricia Murphy's.... 2005/08/20 12:39:47 (permalink)
    Patricia Murphy's was in Pound Ridge, Westchester county, NY and the signature item was popovers. To our unsophisticated palates of the 1950's the place was the epitome of fine dining - and, as I recall, the meals were pretty good and substantial in a traditional American way (with exotic items like the curry available for the adventurous as someone mentioned). Kind of like Shrafft's in the country.

By the early 50's we had abandoned Murphy's for Rebers, famous for its steaks, in either Hawthorn or Ardsley - on the Saw Mill River Parkway, if memory serves

Cheers, John
    BrooklynBill
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 189
    RE: Memory Lane: Patricia Murphy's.... 2005/08/28 11:40:30 (permalink)
    As a young person, in the early 50’s, I really liked Patricia Murphy’s Candlelight Restaurant. They served a good American menu. Everything from soup to desert was included in their base price. They also gave an option of a cream de menthe or a crème de cocoa in lieu of desert. I liked that very much as I grew old enough to partake, because I was usually too full of those fantastic popovers to even look at desert.

We went to the Manhasset site most of the time. There was also one in Brooklyn. Visited there once or twice but didn’t enjoy it as much. I never did go to the Yonkers/Westchester branch (it came later on) but heard very good things about it.
    The early American atmosphere and the extensive gardens, of the LI restaurant, really complemented that menu. The view from the parking lot suggested that it had once been a nursery.

There was also a Lorraine Murphy’s, I think on The Island, in the 50’s. Heard that Patrica’s sister ran it. Don’t know if that was really the case.
    NYNM
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Memory Lane: Patricia Murphy's.... 2005/08/28 18:00:06 (permalink)
    Yes, creme de menthe! I never realized that Patricia Murphy's was a "chain." It's good to see so many fond memories here! I wonder if they are similar lovely restaurants around, especially with gardens.
    seafarer john
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Memory Lane: Patricia Murphy's.... 2005/08/29 10:08:12 (permalink)
    Gasho in Central Valley, Orange County, NY has (or had, havn't been there in years) a beautiful Japanese garden. the place was a lot of fun about 20 years ago . but it wore out over time; they were the first place around here that cooked the food at the hot table with a lot of flashing knives and flipping food.

Mohonk Mountain House here in New Paltz has magnificent gardens - $45 bucks gets you lunch and the use of the grounds for a day.

Cheers, John
    skeaya
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 2
    RE: Memory Lane: Patricia Murphy's.... 2005/11/24 00:36:55 (permalink)
    Photographs of the Candlelight Restaurant on Central Park Avenue in Yonkers, 1954:

http://memory.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/d?gottscho:20:./temp/~ammem_jPkL:

(they start on the linked page and there are more on the page after)

NYNM
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Memory Lane: Patricia Murphy's.... 2005/11/26 16:10:32 (permalink)
    Would love to see your pix of Patricia's, but the don't come up on the screen. Please try again!
    skeaya
    Junior Burger
    RE: Memory Lane: Patricia Murphy's.... 2005/11/27 11:48:34 (permalink)
    Ok do this:

Go to http://www.loc.gov/rr/print/catalog.html

Click on the big blue "search the catalogue" button

type in "candlelight restaurant" in quotation marks

a nice long list should come up! first the Yonkers then they have some pics of the Manhasset one (the list is on 2 pages)

you can click on the images to see them larger

what a beautiful restaurant
    seafarer john
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Memory Lane: Patricia Murphy's.... 2005/11/28 14:30:15 (permalink)
    Thanks very much to Skeaya for posting the photos of Patricia Murphy's. Those pics jogged my memory and I instantly recognized the place - but what the Hell was it doing in Yonkers when I was absolutely certain that it was in Pound Ridge -all the way across the county? In fact, I had stated very positively in a message on August 20 that it was in Pound Ridge. Well, I learned today from a friend who lives not far from Pound Ridge that I had Patricia Murphy's confused with an equally famous restaurany called Emily Shaw's. Just another "senior moment", I guess...
    Does anyone remember Emily Shaw's - I think it was a cut above Patricia Murphy's? My friend tells me that there is still a restaurant in that grand old house.

Cheers, John
    shen
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 150
    RE: Memory Lane: Patricia Murphy's.... 2005/11/28 15:06:49 (permalink)
    I have 5 menus from Patricia Murphys in Yonkers...my grandma took a menu from EVERY restaurant they ate at from the mid 60's up until early 90's..so she has a whole box of memories for me. Sometimes we go thru the box and cant believe the prices...the restaurants are all in southern CT and westchester NY
    tonyv
    Junior Burger
    RE: Memory Lane: Patricia Murphy's.... 2006/08/18 07:04:12 (permalink)
    Patricia Murphy's was on Central Ave about 3 miles north of the Yonkers Raceway, 5 miles from the Yonkers/Bronx border. I had my Communion dinner there in 1966. Wow, what memories.

My dad was the Manager and Band Leader at Tropical Acres Restaurant midway between Patricia Murphy's and the Raceway also on CEntral Ave. They were the 2 hottest Restauranas in Yonkers for a long time. Tropical Acres clesed in 1976 and Patricia Murphy's a few years before that

If your Grandmother has any of the menu's from Tropical Acres, I would be very interested.

Tony
    Greymo
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3724
    RE: Memory Lane: Patricia Murphy's.... 2006/08/18 08:33:00 (permalink)
    I remember going to her restaurant in Ft. Lauderdale in the late 70's. My host purchased her book "Glow of Candlelight" which he gave me as a memento of our evening there. It is her autobiography and very interesting, but most of the recipes are quite dull by today's standards for fine dining.
    Junior Burger
    RE: Memory Lane: Patricia Murphy's.... 2006/10/07 20:01:26 (permalink)
    When I was a little girl, my Mom and Dad brought me to Patricia Murphy's for special occasions. We'd dress up - Mom in her mink stole and long gloves, Dad in suit and tie, the girls in dresses with maddengly itchy crenoline slips, tights and pinchy patent leather shoes.

I remember the delicious popovers, the white linens on the tables, candles, learning how to behave "like a lady" in a restaurant. I still have a little tiny, round cardboard tube with a couple of glass ampules of Patricia Murphy's lily of the valley perfume!!

What lovely memories of a genteel meal to celebrate birthdays, wedding anniversaries and other occasions. I'm only 49 yrs old, but forgive me for complaining that is very hard to feel like you're celebrating a special occasion when the people at the next table are wearing jeans and t-shirts and their children are running around the dining room annoying other diners. It's nice to have a couple of restaurants where special still means special.

Does anyone here remember Cornetta's Lobster Restaurant (maybe "Seafood" rather than "Lobster")? The whole family worked there, the seafood was scrumptious.

Linda
    Junior Burger
    RE: Memory Lane: Patricia Murphy's.... 2006/10/07 20:16:35 (permalink)
    Shen, I would love to see a menu!

Linda
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18426
    RE: Memory Lane: Patricia Murphy's.... 2006/10/07 20:27:36 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by avatarld

When I was a little girl, my Mom and Dad brought me to Patricia Murphy's for special occasions. We'd dress up - Mom in her mink stole and long gloves, Dad in suit and tie, the girls in dresses with maddengly itchy crenoline slips, tights and pinchy patent leather shoes.

I remember the delicious popovers, the white linens on the tables, candles, learning how to behave "like a lady" in a restaurant. I still have a little tiny, round cardboard tube with a couple of glass ampules of Patricia Murphy's lily of the valley perfume!!

What lovely memories of a genteel meal to celebrate birthdays, wedding anniversaries and other occasions. I'm only 49 yrs old, but forgive me for complaining that is very hard to feel like you're celebrating a special occasion when the people at the next table are wearing jeans and t-shirts and their children are running around the dining room annoying other diners. It's nice to have a couple of restaurants where special still means special.

Does anyone here remember Cornetta's Lobster Restaurant (maybe "Seafood" rather than "Lobster")? The whole family worked there, the seafood was scrumptious.

Linda

I'm not familiar with Cornetta's, but I love your rememberance of visits to Patricia Murphy's.
    firstlight
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 1
    RE: Memory Lane: Patricia Murphy's.... 2006/11/29 02:17:48 (permalink)

See as we're on a sort of NY nostalgia trip, does anyone remember Patricia Murphy's Restaurant?

Oh, I was just thinking about past Christmas memories and googled the resturant name finding this forum.

I grew up in Hartsdale, NY and every year my family had reservations on Christmas Eve at Patricia Murphy's. We would go out to a theatre and see The Sound of Music (My father's favorite movie) and then we'd go to eat.

The most wonderous thing for a child who adored animals and was pet deprived was the "Living Nativity" scene complete with live sheep and other animals. One year it snowed so much we were the last one to see the animals as they had to stable them earlier...

I remember they also had a gift shop at the resturant and one year I received a rearing horse that had pinto colored hair on it that was made with cow hide. I saw it in the shop and my father went back after we got in the car (saying he left something in the resturant) and surprised me on Christmas Day.

Patricia Murphy's was a very "grown up" experience. I especially remember the popovers. It was the only time we were allowed to get "prime rib" (which melted in your mouth) and for our birthday's we would get "the queen's cut"... The waiters and waitresses always talked to us like we were grownups, asking us for our order and if we were enjoying our meal...

These memories are from about 1964 to 1969 or so.

Dawn
    First Light

NYNM
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Memory Lane: Patricia Murphy's.... 2006/11/29 10:51:47 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by firstlight

See as we're on a sort of NY nostalgia trip, does anyone remember Patricia Murphy's Restaurant?

Oh, I was just thinking about past Christmas memories and googled the resturant name finding this forum.

I grew up in Hartsdale, NY and every year my family had reservations on Christmas Eve at Patricia Murphy's. We would go out to a theatre and see The Sound of Music (My father's favorite movie) and then we'd go to eat.

The most wonderous thing for a child who adored animals and was pet deprived was the "Living Nativity" scene complete with live sheep and other animals. One year it snowed so much we were the last one to see the animals as they had to stable them earlier...

I remember they also had a gift shop at the resturant and one year I received a rearing horse that had pinto colored hair on it that was made with cow hide. I saw it in the shop and my father went back after we got in the car (saying he left something in the resturant) and surprised me on Christmas Day.

Patricia Murphy's was a very "grown up" experience. I especially remember the popovers. It was the only time we were allowed to get "prime rib" (which melted in your mouth) and for our birthday's we would get "the queen's cut"... The waiters and waitresses always talked to us like we were grownups, asking us for our order and if we were enjoying our meal...

These memories are from about 1964 to 1969 or so.

Dawn
    First Light

Thanks for your comments! Yes, "times have changed": I have a 13 yr. old daughter and we couldn't probably do anything like Patricia Murphy's these days. First of all, I wouldn't know where go and second, she'd only wear the same jeans she wears everyday, no "dress up"/"grown up" stuff.

It was so special at PM's around the holidays. Soemhow I just get glimpses of peppermint and snow sparkles!

When I was 10 yrs. old the best birthday I rememebr was convincing my mother to let me take a few best friends "way up" (from Brooklyn to Westchester) for a meal at PM.I felt like a "queen"! (?princess?). Proabaly today I'd go to a rock concert or something!!! (orf maybe the decadent American Girl shop on 5th Ave, depending on my maturity)
    shen
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 150
    RE: Memory Lane: Patricia Murphy's.... 2006/11/29 11:04:07 (permalink)
    hi there...
    if i were more computer savvy I would scan in my MENUS from patricia murphys. I was too young to go but my grandma has menus from every restaurant she has eaten at. And her and my "bubby" would go there for lunch. They are all in a box. When she is gone it will be one of my most prized possesions.
    TW
    jimeugrog
    Junior Burger
    RE: Memory Lane: Patricia Murphy's.... 2006/12/20 16:51:58 (permalink)
    This site is amazing. Great info. Patricia Murphy was my father's sister-in-law. He managed her Madison Avenue and Westchester restaurants for years before we moved to Florida (c1975) so he could run her Bahia Mar restaurant in Fort Lauderdale and the Cascades in Deerfield Beach. They ended up in a legal dispute where he proportedly took control of the company from her and, unfortunately, ran it into bankruptcy within a few years. I am researching these things now for a historical novel. Anyone with info on this topic or remembrances, please contact me or post here. A small reward may be available. My father's name was John Rogers. Thanks.
    wirepaladin
    Junior Burger
    RE: Memory Lane: Patricia Murphy's.... 2006/12/22 17:41:40 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by jimeugrog

This site is amazing. Great info. Patricia Murphy was my father's sister-in-law. He managed her Madison Avenue and Westchester restaurants for years before we moved to Florida (c1975) so he could run her Bahia Mar restaurant in Fort Lauderdale and the Cascades in Deerfield Beach. They ended up in a legal dispute where he proportedly took control of the company from her and, unfortunately, ran it into bankruptcy within a few years. I am researching these things now for a historical novel. Anyone with info on this topic or remembrances, please contact me or post here. A small reward may be available. My father's name was John Rogers. Thanks.
    wirepaladin
    Junior Burger
    RE: Memory Lane: Patricia Murphy's.... 2006/12/22 17:44:16 (permalink)
    My family only went to the Patricia Murphy's in Manhasset. It made you feel so special. The surroundings, the popovers...and how could you forget the GREAT honey buns!
    Pop in
    Junior Burger
    RE: Memory Lane: Patricia Murphy's.... 2006/12/31 12:37:09 (permalink)
    What fun to read that so many people share such fond childhood memories associated with a single restaurant. I went to the Yonkers location at Christmas time in the '60's, and it is one of my treasured memories with my grandmother and mother. I remember the live animal nativity outside in the front of the restuarant and even more exciting for a little girl, the Princess sitting on a throne as you entered. I too recall the excellent popovers and Shirley Temples.
    I logged in to let you all know that there is a Patricia Murphy's cookbook out there. I saw one, perhaps ten years (perhaps more) ago at a used bookstore in connecticut called Whitlock's Bookbarn. I went there recently and they did not have it, but, it is out there somewhere.
    Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1