My head's in Mississippi

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 4 of 10
Author
ann peeples
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 8388
RE: My head's in Mississippi 2008/12/07 18:22:10 (permalink)
My dear Ort, having researched the horse thing-seems to be alot of hooey to me.
Forever Ed the talking horse,
Annie
Ort. Carlton.
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3589
RE: My head's in Mississippi 2008/12/07 18:30:49 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by annpeeples
Back in the heyday of the Delmonico restaurant (famous for the delmonico steak)curtained dining areas were the norm.What a charming aspect to a restaurant. Also, according to legend,the curtained rooms, were, um, to allow other types of activities in addition to eating...

Ann; Buffetbuster; Dearfolk,
As a matter of fact, Lusco's WAS a speakeasy in the 1920's! Hey, you could make Mississippi go dry by law (in theory, that is), but the practice was indeed a whole nother thing.
Mississippi didn't have legal liquor until the governor's mansion was raided sometime along about 1966. Obviously, it was staged, but you get the idea... voters finally got around to approving whiskey and mixed drink sales by county option. Oklahoma didn't go "wet" for liquor until 1957 and Kansas didn't until 1948; all three states still have "dry" counties.
Georgia has only two totally dry counties (Echols and Union), but you can buy what you want across the county line and bring it in in your trunk with impunity. You still can't possess in a dry Mississippi county, but only a couple of sheriffs still enforce the law strictly for small individual amounts (be careful in Poplarville in Pearl River County!).
Speaking Easily, Ort. Carlton in Legally Totally Wet Athens, Georgia.
Ort. Carlton.
Filet Mignon
RE: My head's in Mississippi 2008/12/07 18:39:40 (permalink)
quote:
My dear Ort, having researched the horse thing-seems to be alot of hooey to me.
Forever Ed the talking horse, Annie

Dear Annie,
Of course!
Frontally Backusly, Ort. Carlton in Ever-Amazing Athens.
Ort. Carlton.
Filet Mignon
RE: My head's in Mississippi 2008/12/07 18:43:53 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by buffetbuster

Buffetbuster; Dearfolk,
Looks like normal small-town driving to me. Why, there ain't no traffic down the ditch... Ah kin go as fast as Ah want....
Driving Y'all Crazy, Ort. Carlton, Barrelling Along in Athens, Georgia.
P. S. Or, as Nervous Norvus once said: "Outta my way! I don't drive with my horn!!"
Ort. Carlton.
Filet Mignon
RE: My head's in Mississippi 2008/12/07 19:07:24 (permalink)
Buffetbuster; Dearfolk,
Your trip segment in Jackson, Mississippi reminded me of something that a few of you might find interesting... it isn't about food, 'cause you can't eat radio; but it's amusing nonetheless.
A group of businesspeople got together in the late 1950's with designs on building a 50,000 watt (AM) station in Jackson. The late, great consulting engineer Ralph J. Bitzer was called in; he located a hole on 1550 kcs that, if sufficiently directionalized, would provide that power daytime, with 10,000 watts at night. The construction permit was finally approved and the six-tower-in-line directional system was built just south of what is now I-20, east of Bolton and about ten miles west of Jackson. The owners went broke in the mid 1960's and sold the station; its calls changed from WJAQ (I think it was) to WOKJ, and the format switched to rhythm & blues. In its heyday, I could receive WOKJ clearly at night here in Athens, although the station ran a tight minimum toward WAAY in Huntsville, Alabama.
The pattern kept shifting. Bitzer came back repeatedly, trying to address the problem. He had forgotten one thing: the towers were built on loess, and it destabilized the directional! The system was a nightmare from start to finish; over the years, I've heard dozens of stories from engineers and broadcasters alike telling me about "trying to keep WOKJ on pattern."
I was sorry to see the station leave the air, but genius that he was, Ralph had never attempted building a critical directional on loess before, and it ended up being a disaster that may well have hastened his death.
WOKJ sent 37,500 watts of effective power at 90 degrees and 290 degrees on its night pattern; the six-tower axis was 10 degrees.
Does anybody out there know more about this interesting, legendary debacle? I know it's waaaay off-topic, but the shots of Jackson made me think of this.
In Tune, Ort. Carlton in Undirectional Athens, Georgia.
P. S. Thanks a gazillion for the Art Deco shots! I had never seen the Standard Life Building before, and it's a humdinger! Standard Life Insurance Co. had its own radio station for a time: WSLI, 930 AM. The old station on 620 AM was owned by Lamar Life Insurance Co.
P. P. S. You never know what I'm gonna post next, because I never do, either!
mbrookes
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1355
RE: My head's in Mississippi 2008/12/07 20:21:40 (permalink)
Actually the raid that ended prohibition was not at the governor's mansion, but at the Jackson Country Club. Most of the legislators were there. The sight of all that lovely whiskey being poured out was more than they could stand. Within a few days we had county option legal liquor.

Mississippi probably has the most convoluted and just plain strange liquor laws of anywhere, but at least we can drink. In fact, in some counties cirrosis of the liver is listed as natural causes.
Slim Strummer
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 233
RE: My head's in Mississippi 2008/12/07 21:58:34 (permalink)
quote:

Slim Strummer-
Thank you for the compliment! No, I am done with Jackson for this trip. Since Southwest flies into Jackson and I have seven free flights waiting for me, I purposely did very little that area. This way, I will have plenty to do when I fly into Jackson for just a weekend. I know wanderingjew will be disappointed, as am I, that I didn't make it to Two Sisters. But, I will be back!

When you do, something to consider is to stop in at a couple of places: Bravo Italian Restaurant and Bar; Broad Street Bakery; Sal and Mookie's New York Pizza and Ice Cream Joint. None of which types of cuisine you are probably looking for when you are passing thru Jackson, Mississippi (not are they necessarily "roadfood" in the classic sense), but I ate at Bravo and liked it and I am curious as to whether the other places are good too. Just a thought.

Keep the reports coming. As I said, I am enjoying them very much.
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10285
RE: My head's in Mississippi 2008/12/08 13:00:18 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Ort. Carlton.

P. P. S. You never know what I'm gonna post next, because I never do, either!
And that is just the way we like it! Ort, you can ramble off topic anytime you want, because I know I will end up learning something. Thanks for the story.
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
RE: My head's in Mississippi 2008/12/08 13:05:27 (permalink)
quote:

quote:
Last leg of your report looks excellent, BB.Question for you and all-i was told that when it comes to statues, the way the horse sits, or rears up, etc....is how the soldier died.Anyone know the answer to this??
Our only "statue" in Athens is the original Double-Barrelled Cannon. It sleeps on the lawn of City Hall, pointing due north, just in case we're ever attacked again.
Ort, when you say attacked, I hope you don't include us Yankees who come down there and eat all your great Southern food!
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
RE: My head's in Mississippi 2008/12/08 14:01:38 (permalink)
Monday December 1, 2008 cont.

One more stop to make in Jackson and it was the one I was most looking forward to: the state capitol building.

My poor photos don't do the gorgeous rotunda justice.

Here is the stained glass ceiling in the House chamber.

This was one of the most beautiful state houses I have visited.

With plans to eat lunch in Natchez, I quickly got out of town and headed south and west. I was just a few miles away from my lunch destination, Mammy's Cupboard, when someone on the radio mentioned it being Monday. That is when it occurred to me that Mammy's was closed on Mondays, and I was right in the middle of pulling a major bonehead move. This mistake would cost me later in the trip.

With some time to kill, a take-out place called Belemont Shake Shop caught my attention.

Some interesting looking items on the menu, but I settled for a fine cherry milkshake.

Needing a new place for lunch, I arrived outside of Cock of the Walk in Natchez.

Since I arrived a few minutes before they opened, I took the opportunity to walk behind the restaurant and enjoy the view of the Mississippi River going by.

According to legend, the toughest man on a boat was called the cock of the walk and wore a red feather in his hat to denote his status. This would explain this sign.

The inside of the place is made to look like a Mississippi riverboat.

The thing to order here is the catfish. It automatically comes with fries, cole slaw, hushpuppies and cornbread.

I really enjoyed the cornmeal breading to the sweet catfish fillets.

As you can see, the meal is served on a metal pie pan. Of the sides, the cornbread was by far the best.

It had a faint sweet taste and I could have eaten a whole lot more of it. The rest of the sides were forgettable. I am starting to think that I just don't hushpuppies, because I don't like them anywhere.

As Bruce & Sue say in their review, I was hoping to see them flip the cornbread up in the air, before serving it, but it didn't happen. Maybe that is just something they do at dinner.

If you are looking for good catfish in the Natchez area, this place is worth the stop.

http://www.roadfood.com/Reviews/Writeup.aspx?ReviewID=1317&RefID=1317

Natchez is a lovely city, with plenty of antebellum homes. Seeing a brochure at the restaurant, I decided to go see Longwood. Here is what the driveway looks like on your way in.

When I got to the security shack, there was a stop sign. I rolled down my window and waited for a minute. Since there didn't appear to be any sign of life, I got out of my car and could then see that the security guard was asleep in his chair. I gently tapped on the winow and he woke up. I paid my $10.00 and headed in.

Longwood was built by an ancestor of football coach Houston Nutt and is the largest octagonal house in the US.

Unfortunately, Mr. Nutt was only able to finish the first floor, due to the outbreak of the Civil War. Only the first floor is finished. Very strange, but well worth seeing.

Much more to come.....

post edited by buffetbuster - 2009/01/22 18:09:43
wanderingjew
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7849
RE: My head's in Mississippi 2008/12/08 14:20:27 (permalink)
BB,

I went to Cock of the Walk in Natchez too in 1999, I'm pretty certain it was at dinner time, and they did serve a generously sized pan of cornbread which they flipped up in the air. I also remember touring Longwood, I also did one other house tour, don't remember the name of it, I would have to check out my old photos (35mm back then). Did you go to Natchez Under The Hill, is it still there?
Nancypalooza
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3778
RE: My head's in Mississippi 2008/12/08 15:38:32 (permalink)
Cliff, good hushpuppies are hard to come by. My friend Cathy makes the best ones I know of. Clemson grad too.

http://flickr.com/photos/nancypalooza/2981728065/

The thing is, the time between coming out of the oil and going into your mouth needs to be blissfully short.
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
RE: My head's in Mississippi 2008/12/08 15:56:30 (permalink)
Nancy-
I don't even have to taste them and I already know they must be great hushpuppies. And it has nothing to do with her being a Clemson grad!

I forgot that I did the hushpuppies at the late great Hocutt's in West Virginia. So there is hope after all.

wanderingjew-
If I had known that they only did the flipping cornbread for dinner at Cock of the Walk, I would have ate then instead. Natchez under the hill is still there and is a cool little area. I didn't make any stops, though.
Ort. Carlton.
Filet Mignon
RE: My head's in Mississippi 2008/12/09 00:13:57 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by mbrookes
Actually the raid that ended prohibition was not at the governor's mansion, but at the Jackson Country Club.

mbrookes,
Thank you for setting me straight... I was relying on you to correct me if need be, and I'm glad you did!
Used to be that the eastern half of Hinds County was wet for beer and wine and the western half was dry. I wonder if that ever changed. There are a couple other counties that have two seats that are half wet and half dry... the one Laurel's in is one, because Ellisville is dry.
Can you still not buy beer on Sunday in Jackson? -- We can't purchase packaged ANYTHING on Sunday; you can only drink in a restaurant, but you don't have to order food, as used to be the law in Indiana.
Things like this get me savagely curious.
Unsnockeredly (but wait until tomorrow: $2 Pint Night at Copper Creek Brewing Co.!), Ort. Carlton in Amazing Athens, Georgia.
Ort. Carlton.
Filet Mignon
RE: My head's in Mississippi 2008/12/09 00:18:17 (permalink)
quote:
quote:
quote:
Ort, when you say attacked, I hope you don't include us Yankees who come down there and eat all your great Southern food!

Buffetbuster,
Naw! God bless y'all; you helpin' us get rid of our leftovers. We'un's like to EAT down thisaway.
Face it... you ain't never had no chicken mull. Hoo-WEE! Good enough to make you want to smack yer maw.
Idiotically Colloquially, Ort. in the 30601-Scape.
Ort. Carlton.
Filet Mignon
RE: My head's in Mississippi 2008/12/09 00:22:07 (permalink)
Buffetbuster,
This is one interesting thread. Keep the good work coming.
Succinctly, Ort. "Mr. Word Economy" Carlton in The Usual Squeaking Chair.
mbrookes
RE: My head's in Mississippi 2008/12/09 13:12:38 (permalink)
As I said, we have strange liquor laws. Thhis is just a sample
Hinds county is wet for everything. Restaurants can't serve alcohol until after noon on Sunday.

Rankin Co. (next door) is beer only, and then not on Sunday.

County with Miss State Univ you can only buy hot beer, but the convenience stores sell styrafoam coolers and ice.

The strictness is determined to a great exyent by the sheriff. During prohibition Coahoma Co (that's Clarksdale, blues fans) was totally dry. The next county south(Bolivar) was pretty much wide open.

Many places that are normally wet are dry on Sunday.

Strange laws, but just a price you pay to live in one of the best places in the world.
Rick F.
  • Total Posts : 1736
RE: My head's in Mississippi 2008/12/10 10:36:38 (permalink)
quote:

Buffetbuster, Face it... you ain't never had no chicken mull. Hoo-WEE! Good enough to make you want to smack yer maw.
Ort., what's "chicken mull"? As a born and near-lifelong Southerner, I ought to know, but I've never heard of it. Please enlighten me!
billyboy
  • Total Posts : 2409
RE: My head's in Mississippi 2008/12/10 10:57:09 (permalink)
BB, great stuff as usual, man! You have a wonderful talent of balancing the food, architecture, sports, narrative and an ability to come across some really odd stuff. That pickup truck is a classic one!! I think I could go for some of those tamales from the White Front Cafe right about now.
firecommander3565
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 505
RE: My head's in Mississippi 2008/12/10 11:17:32 (permalink)
BB,

That is truly an inspirationally trip. The pictures were great and you tell a great story with each one! Take a bow!
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
RE: My head's in Mississippi 2008/12/10 11:21:44 (permalink)
Monday December 1, 2008 cont.

Have you ever spotted something while driving down the road and wonder, "Did I really just see that?" I had one of those moments shortly after getting on the Natchez Trace Parkway headed north.

There was a small dog trotting next to the road and as I drove by, it looked like it had a large number nine painted on it's side. Either that, or it had one really unusual birthmark or coat. Unfortunately, I was talking to my mother on the phone and didn't pull over to take a photo. That would have made a good one!

My next destination was Old Country Store in Lorman, but my GPS took me in the complete wrong direction after getting off the main road. Eventually, the lady at the laundromat, the only business I could find, pointed me in the right direction.

The Old Country Store

is in a building that is approximately 130 years old and it looks like the outside hasn't been touched since the day it was built. There are rusty, weather-beaten Pepsi signs on both sides.

The outside sign that I really took notice of was the one declaring it the world's best fried chicken.

The inside is shockingly big, since I was expecting a little place. A menu board advertised the buffet.

MMMMMMMM, blackberry cobbler!

The buffet area is on the small side,

but I am always more concerned about quality than quantity. The owner told me to grab a plate and help myself. "Don't feel sorry for the cook," he told me, "Make sure you get enough." Oh, I think I can manage that!

Here is my first plate,

with fried chicken, dirty rice, green beans, greens, macaroni and cheese and a jalapeno corn muffin.

Delicious crunchy skin, along with juicy tender meat, this was excellent fried chicken!

But, I liked the pork infused greens

and green beans even better. The other items were also good, but not on the same level. My only complaint and it is a mild one, is that the food could have been hotter.

And dessert was absolute cobbler perfection!

As good as the food was, the best reason to visit is to meet Arthur Davis, the owner. While I was paying at the register, he broke out into song.

Not just a few lines, but a good five minute long song, apparently titled, Grammy Was a Cornbread Woman! I know this might sound a little odd, but it was extremely enjoyable. Mr. Davis is a very lively, fun and interesting man. He was still singing to me on my way out the door.

If you are ever in this part of the world, you really need to stop in and visit this wonderful place. Old Country Store was one of the highlights of my trip.

http://www.roadfood.com/Reviews/Writeup.aspx?ReviewID=1320&RefID=1320

As I was driving, I saw a sign pointing towards Alcorn State University, so of course, I had to stop in and buy a shirt. I also made a quick stop at the Windsor Ruins. This used to be a beautiful mansion that was destroyed by fire, with only the columns remaining.

Combined with the remote location, this place is a little spooky!

In the quaint little town of Port Gibson, I visited the church with the gold hand pointing towards heaven on the top of a church spire.

Cool!

Dinner was back in Vicksburg at Goldie's Trail Bar-B-Que. Again, I had trouble finding it. Casinos are now where the restaurant used to be. A nice lady at Subway gave me pinpoint directions and I was soon pulling into the parking lot.

Unfortunately, I shouldn't have bothered, because the food was not good. The baked beans were straight out of can. The pork bbq was flabby. The only two items worthwhile were the sausage

and the garlic bread.

I drove back to my hotel in Natchez for the night.

Much more to come.....
post edited by buffetbuster - 2009/01/22 18:10:51
Nancypalooza
Filet Mignon
RE: My head's in Mississippi 2008/12/10 11:34:02 (permalink)
I want Mr. Arthur Davis to sing 'Grammy was a Cornbread Woman' to me now. :(

I assume chicken mull is the same thing as chicken bog? Ort., what exactly did you mean by that? (And we've talked about this eighty times before but chicken bog is a chicken and rice stew and may be wet and may not be wet and may have sausage in it and also may not; it depends a lot on how your relatives made it. It also may be called burgoo or something like that.)

buffetbuster
Porterhouse
RE: My head's in Mississippi 2008/12/10 11:38:12 (permalink)
Nancy-
The line after "Grammy is a Cornbread Woman" is "And I'm a Fried Chicken Man"! How can you possibly resist that?
Nancypalooza
Filet Mignon
RE: My head's in Mississippi 2008/12/10 11:48:19 (permalink)
You can't. This is the guy Alton Brown got chicken from on his show, right?
ChiTownDiner
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2947
RE: My head's in Mississippi 2008/12/10 12:02:36 (permalink)
buffetbuster - Mr. Davis singing has got to be a great part of American history...that would make the trip worthwhile for me! Very, very cool!
mbrookes
RE: My head's in Mississippi 2008/12/10 13:56:33 (permalink)
I wish I had known you were headed to Windsor and Alcorn. I could have told you to notice the steps at the chapel at Alcorn. They were originally the front steps to Windsor.

Also, the huge live oak in front of Windsor was the sight of the filming of part of Raintree County with Elizabeth Taylor and Montgomery Cliff. In mid summer, they had a hard time with Miss Taylor's makeup, which kept melting off.

There is truly a story aroung every corner here.

In Port Gibson, just down from the church with the hand, is a Cathilic Church with really unusual blue windows. When the sun shines, the air inside the sanctuary seems blue. With no chemicals, you seem to feel, taste and smell blue. Awsome!
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
RE: My head's in Mississippi 2008/12/10 14:54:43 (permalink)
mbrookes-
I would have loved to have seen the steps at Alcorn Chapel! But you and Sam had already given me so many great tips, you couldn't possibly have told me everything!

ChiTownDiner-
Old Country Store is the restaurant I arrived at when you and I were on the phone. I almost called you back to tell you how much I enjoyed the place.

Nancypalooza-
Arthur Davis did have the Feasting on Asphalt book and showed me the section on his place.
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
RE: My head's in Mississippi 2008/12/10 15:34:40 (permalink)
Tuesday December 2, 2008 

My original plan for this day was to spend it exploring northern Louisiana. But because of my misstep with Mammy's Cupboard, I had to scrap those plans. There was no way I was coming to Natchez and not eating at Mammy's!

My first stop of the day was at Stanton Hall, another of Natchez's beautiful antebellum homes.

This place was even nicer inside than the home I visited the day before. Maybe tourism is slumping even more than I thought, because on both tours I was by myself. The guide also recommended I go see St. Mary Basilica in the downtown area, so I made that my next stop.

Good tip, because this place was gorgeous!

Walking around downtown Natchez, I was lured inside a store by their bakery sign.

I bought some cookies, which weren't very good and also a piece of red velvet cake. Since it was almost lunch time, I decided to save that for later. Nothing like having a spare piece of red velvet cake for reserves.

For those who aren't familiar with the place, Mammy's Cupboard is a restaurant shaped liked a large skirted woman, specifically, a mammy.

Now the face is painted a neutral color in keeping with the times. What a unique little slice of Americana.

Want to know why I made such a big deal about eating here? This should give you a clue!

There is a big board with all of the day's available desserts listed as you walk in.

And just to taunt me, the waitress sat me at a table with another list inches from my head.

That's just cruel!!! Don't worry, I'll make them pay!

The regular menu consists of sandwiches and a list of daily specials.

Since it was Tuesday, it was Brazilian Black Beans, which didn't interest me. The waitress bragged up how good their sandwiches were and that the bread was homemade. So, I got a ham and cheese, which came with a bowl of homey vegetable soup.

(Sorry about the photos from this place. I took dozens of pictures and these are the best of a bad lot). The waitress was right, this was a really good sandwich.

And a small scoop of fresh potato salad completed the plate. To drink, blueberry lemonade!

This meal had the feel of a ladies' lunch.

Okay, enough screwing around....let's get to dessert! In Bruce and Sue's review, they raved about the banana caramel pie, so I went with that.

And it was spectacular! The bananas were cut in long lengths and there were big pockets of gooey caramel. I loved this pie!

Unfortunately, the chocolate ice box pie was just a mess.

Somewhere under all the whipped topping is some chocolate filling, but I don't think I could have found it with my GPS. Very disappointing. But after that banana caramel pie, I wasn't about to complain.

http://www.roadfood.com/Reviews/Writeup.aspx?ReviewID=1316&RefID=1316

I did take many photos to show what the inside looked like, but they turned out supbar. One interesting little feature I noticed is that they don't have the bathrooms labeled men's or women's. They just put appropriate hats by the doors.

I got back in my car and headed towards Louisiana.

Much more to come.....
post edited by buffetbuster - 2009/01/22 18:11:45
Nancypalooza
Filet Mignon
RE: My head's in Mississippi 2008/12/10 16:50:51 (permalink)
Mammy kinda looks like a big dude with a skirt on. :) That banana caramel pie is gorgeous.
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 15285
RE: My head's in Mississippi 2008/12/10 20:34:49 (permalink)

BB
Sorry to read of the negative review of Goldie's Trail BBQ. We ate there a couple of times about 4 years ago and liked the place...but times are changing !!!
Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 4 of 10
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1