My head's in Mississippi

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 5 of 10
Author
wanderingjew
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7966
RE: My head's in Mississippi 2008/12/10 21:34:21 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by buffetbuster

Tuesday November 2

My first stop of the day was at Stanton Hall, another of Natchez's beautiful antebellum homes.

Buffetbuster,

You made me go through my box of old photos, and sure enough the other home tour I did was Stanton Hall. Looks like we both checked out the same homes.

Here was a cool place I went to in Natchez, I don't recall being overly impressed by the food- but the Margarita was good

[url]www.fatmamastamales.com[/url]

BTW, Mr. D's looks great, too bad I won't be anywhere near there in February.

mr chips
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4727
RE: My head's in Mississippi 2008/12/10 21:57:02 (permalink)
Wow, what a journey. Your adventures keep me entertained and I love your openness to the the experience of the road. You, sir, are living and experiencing roadfood to the fullest.
Ort. Carlton.
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3589
RE: My head's in Mississippi 2008/12/10 23:00:42 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Rick F.
quote:
Originally posted by Ort. Carlton.
Ort., what's "chicken mull"? As a born and near-lifelong Southerner, I ought to know, but I've never heard of it. Please enlighten me!

Rick F.,
My mother used to refer to it obliquely as Pentecostal Penicillin (sp.?) because a great many Holiness churches in our area used to have fund-raiser chicken mull suppers in years past. -- So did volunteer fire departments.
It's a thickened version of chicken stew that seems only to exist in a band from here to Anderson, South Carolina. There are two eateries here in Athens that have it on their menus: Gateway Cafe on North Avenue serves it on Thursdays (all-you-can-eat), and Bill's Barbecue out on U. S. 29 north at Georgia 106 has it all the time.
It's not spicy and is commonly served with saltine crackers. I like to put a good dollop of Texas Pete Hot Sauce in mine (Tabasco overpowers it).
Over the Christmas class break here, when the U. Ga. Library is on short hours, I'll be getting up before 2:30 P. M. most days, so I'll venture out to Gateway and have some.. maybe Thursday the 18th.
You ought to find a recipe online someplace.
By the way, I think I once started a Chicken Mull thread. Don't know whether I put it under "Chicken" or "Soups." If you refind it, let me know... elsewise, I'll go hunting for myself and get lost and end up out in Cyberspace with my banjo on my knee.
Kerplunkingly, Ort. Carlton in Inspiring Athens, Georgia.
Ort. Carlton.
Filet Mignon
RE: My head's in Mississippi 2008/12/10 23:04:46 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by firecommander3565
Take a bow!

firecommander,
I have two wiseacre answers for that one.
1) But then won't the ship sink?
2) But stay away from my 'cello!
Groan.
By the way, I second your motion. This is one good solid thread.
Pungentially, Ort. Carlton in The Usual Seat in 30601-Land.
Ort. Carlton.
Filet Mignon
RE: My head's in Mississippi 2008/12/10 23:15:37 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Nancypalooza
I assume chicken mull is the same thing as chicken bog?... chicken bog is a chicken and rice stew....

Nancy,
Chicken mull seems to me to be akin to chicken bog like North Carolina livermush is to South Carolina liver pudding: mull and mush are made with corn meal as adjuncts/thickening agents; bog and pudding use rice.
I can't recall that I've ever sampled chicken bog, but I sure would love to try it sometime.
Hopefully over the Christmas break here, I'll motor over to the Aiken area and take in Aiken Brewing Co. and sample BBQ in Batesburg/Leesville. I need to make some sort of road trip to accumulate material to write about, both here and for Flagpole.
Do you know anyplace in your area where chicken bog is on a restaurant menu?
Aiken For Aiken, Ort. Carlton in Spiffy Athens, Georgia.
P. S. Hear there's a second brewpub opened in Columbia -- could it be Columbia Ale House? I need to make a return visit to Hunter/Gatherer, too, as soon as I can afford it... I've been there only once, and that was several years ago.
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10516
RE: My head's in Mississippi 2008/12/11 08:30:43 (permalink)
WJ-
What are the odds that you and I hit the exact same two antebellum homes while in Natchez? My tour guide at Stanton Hall did tell me those were the two most popular homes, though.

I did pass Fat Mama's a couple of times. It is right down the street from Cock of the Walk. The nice family at Walnut Hills also recommended it and said what you said.....really good margaritas!

Al-
I was very disappointed in Goldie's. It had the right feel for a bbq place, but the food just wasn't up to snuff. Have you been to the new location or to the previous one down by the river?

A big thank you to mrchips, Ort, firecommander3565 and billyboy for the kind words. It is much appreciated!
ChiTownDiner
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3010
RE: My head's in Mississippi 2008/12/11 09:12:18 (permalink)
buffetbuster -

Oh...where to start! first, you give a whole new meaning to "packing" when it's Red Velvet Cake! Second, the Blueberry Lemonade looks and sounds so refreshing...I hope you filled the canteen! Now...on to the desserts...that was some selection!!! Your first choice was good and you could've made a meal of just the desserts!
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
RE: My head's in Mississippi 2008/12/11 09:56:42 (permalink)
Tuesday December 2, 2008 cont.

Just under two hours later, I pulled into the lovely central Louisiana town of Natchitoches. My destination was a restaurant I have been reading about in the Stern's books for a long time, but never visited, Lasyone's Meat Pies.

That, my friends, is a big meat pie! Even Santa loves meat pies.

During the Roadfood bus tour in Austin last year, I mentioned to Roadfood poster RickF and his wife Janet that I may be through here later in the year. So Rick was nice enough to meet me at Lasyone's.

For a place best known for one item, they have a surprisngly large menu. I tried to start my meal with a cup of gumbo (this is Louisiana, afterall), but they were out. Rick made me feel better by promising great gumbo at dinner. So I went with the standard meat pie.

It was faintly warm, and full of tender seasoned beef and pork. I think there was some onion in there, too. The meat was tasty enough that the gravy was unnecessary, but it would be a shame to let this good gravy go to waste. The gravy also proved to go well on top of the dirty rice, too.

Another item at Lasyone's that Jane & Michael rave about is the Cane River cream pie.

If I understand it correctly, this is similar to a Boston Cream pie, but with gingerbread instead. All I know is that it was delcious!

Since I arrived in town earlier than he expected, Rick already had lunch, so passed on eating at Lasyone's. Besides, he wanted to save some appetite for dinner.

http://www.roadfood.com/Reviews/Writeup.aspx?ReviewID=116&RefID=116

Lasyone's Meat Pies definitely gets a thumbs up!

Our plans were to have dinner at another place reviewed here on Roadfood, Mama's Oyster House. Needing to kill some time between meals, Rick offered a spare bedroom at his place if I wanted to take a nap. I had planned on checking out the town, but after all the running around I had been doing, a nap sounded like a marvelous idea.

I was greeted at Rick's house by Jeb, the lovable family Corgi. When I woke up from my nap, Janet was home from work and we headed out for dinner.

Mama's Oyster House is an interesting place. It has a bar feel about it, but is still very family friendly. And since Natchitoches is a college town, the waitstaff was young and attractive.

Since Rick and Janet knew the menu so well, I was happy to let them take the lead in what to eat. We started off with an appetizer of just spicy enough barbecued shrimp.

I couldn't decide between the gumbo or the crawfish etouffee. The waitress was kind enough to provide a small sample of the fine etouffee, but I was quite happy with the gumbo.

Janet called the gumbo a dark brew at the exact same time I was thinking it. You can just tell by looking at it, that it meant business! It really packed a flavor wallop!

Janet had the fresh, plump, fried shrimp,

while washing it down with a beer I had not seen before.

Rick had the chicken salad, along with a cup of that gumbo.

There were so many things on the menu that looked good, so I ended up with a combo platter of catfish, fried shrimp and fried crawfish.

All were good, with the fried shrimp being the standout.

Rick and Janet are friends with the owner Clay Mayeaux and he came over and visited for a few minutes. Nice man! Before we left, our waitress stood on a chair and took a photo of us.

The look on my face? That is from being very, very full!

http://www.roadfood.com/Reviews/Writeup.aspx?ReviewID=2736&RefID=2744

We said our goodbyes and I thanked Rick and Janet for their hospiatlity while in town. They really made me feel welcome. Hopefully, they went home and enjoyed the hummingbird cake

I brought them from Mammy's Cupboard.

But before I left, I walked around and checked out all the Christmas decorations by the river.

Seems that Natchitoches has a huge Christmas festival every year and they really go all out. What a great little city!

About two hours later, I was back at my hotel in Natchez. Hey look, its a piece of red velvet cake waiting for me!

Much more to come.....
post edited by buffetbuster - 2009/01/22 18:13:03
ScreamingChicken
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5233
RE: My head's in Mississippi 2008/12/11 11:42:22 (permalink)
Those meals at Lasyone's and Mama's look delicious! I do believe I'd solve the gumbo vs. etouffee dilemma by starting dinner with gumbo and having etouffee for dessert...

Brad
mr chips
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4727
RE: My head's in Mississippi 2008/12/11 11:48:15 (permalink)
Those meat pies look marvelous. You are living la vida roadfood, BB.
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
RE: My head's in Mississippi 2008/12/11 13:50:57 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Brad_Olson

Those meals at Lasyone's and Mama's look delicious! I do believe I'd solve the gumbo vs. etouffee dilemma by starting dinner with gumbo and having etouffee for dessert...

Brad
Brad, I like the way you think!!!
Nancypalooza
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3778
RE: My head's in Mississippi 2008/12/11 14:21:36 (permalink)
Yeah, full no-good-shrimp shame spiral here. (sigh) My Whole Foods friend would gladly talk your ear off about the charms of Abita beers, Cliff. I want to say WFM carries Abita.
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
RE: My head's in Mississippi 2008/12/11 14:37:15 (permalink)
Wednesday December 3, 2008 

Even though I was awake early as usual, I took it easy and just relaxed around the hotel. I finally checked out about 9:30AM and made my way east to the town of McComb, where one the true Roadfood shrines awaited me.

Since I was early to McComb, I went ahead and got gas at the local convenience store. As I was paying, I noticed a sign saying that Santa was coming to the store and you can bring your pets down to have photos of them taken with Santa. THAT is a full service gas station!

When I pulled up outside The Dinner Bell,

I was relieved to see that they were still in business. After the amount of food my cousin Johnny and I ate during our last visit, Easter Sunday in 2005, I was nervous for them. Had ChiTownDiner been with us, I don't think they would have survived!

Anyplace that puts the Roadfood book right in their sign is okay with me.

Actually, The Dinner Bell is more than just okay with me. This is one of my very favorite Roadfood stops. It is another round table restaurant. But unlike the previously mentioned and visited Walnut Hills, it has outstanding food.

At five minutes before 11:00AM, the owner unlocked the door and I went in. The tables weren't ready yet, so we chatted for a few minutes. I mentioned how much I enjoyed round table restaurants and that I missed the Mendenhall Hotel. He told me the reason they closed was the couple who owned it got up there in age and the son who was supposed to take over was killed in a crash. A darn shame!

He also told me I should stop in at a catfish place, Jerry's Fish House in Florence, that he loved. He liked it so much that he was taking his entire staff there for Christmas dinner, even though it was 50 miles away. He mentioned the staff loved their chitlins, but he could do without. I had to agree with him when it came to chitlins.

I watched them set up the dishes on the large round tables and I was just aching to get at all that wonderful food.

Finally, my table was ready. Since I was still their only customer, I knew this would allow the time to take my photos without interrupting the other diners while the tables were turning. Here is what we had.....

Meatloaf

Fried chicken

Chicken & Dumplings

Mashed potatoes and gravy

Sweet potato casserole

Lima beans

Cole slaw

Green beans

Just look at the pork and the juice! The green beans were fantastic!

Yellow squash casserole

Field peas? (Pardon my memory, but I think that is what these are)

Cornbread

And something that is always on the menu and is a specialty of theirs, fried eggplant!

There were a few other items, like rice and pickled beets that the photos didn't turn out well enough to post. Dessert? Banana pudding!

I can tell you that everything they serve here is exemplary. Despite the amount of food that is made here, nothing tastes mass produced. But even with food this good, there are some standouts, which were the meatloaf, the green beans and the fried eggplant. The total cost of eating here? $11.00! A real Roadfood bargain.

Other diners did show up and there were a couple of times in which I was in the middle of photographing an item and the spinning table whisked it away. But, I did try to make a nuisance of myself as little as possible.

As I was getting up to leave, a lady who had been sitting across the table from me asked for a straw. I told her she had a much better chance of getting that straw if she asked someone who actually worked there and laughed. She was a little embarrassed.

http://www.roadfood.com/Reviews/Writeup.aspx?ReviewID=648&RefID=648

I got back in my car and continued east, feeling sorry for the next meal, since there was no way it could compare. Or could it?

Much more to come.....
post edited by buffetbuster - 2009/01/22 18:13:50
Nancypalooza
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3778
RE: My head's in Mississippi 2008/12/11 14:47:30 (permalink)
Yep, field peas with snaps. Yum!
Rick F.
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1736
RE: My head's in Mississippi 2008/12/11 14:52:30 (permalink)
Be it noted: We went home. I enjoyed the delicious hummingbird cake. Janet enjoyed looking at the delicious hummingbird cake. And it was a pleasure having BB in town. The same invitation, with the possible exception of the nap, is open to other Roadfooders
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
RE: My head's in Mississippi 2008/12/11 15:21:12 (permalink)
Nancy-
I seem to get black-eyed peas, purple hulled peas and field peas mixed up. Must be the Yankee in me!

RickF
-
The bad news is I liked Natchitoches so much, I will definitely be back.
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 13565
RE: My head's in Mississippi 2008/12/11 15:21:22 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Rick F.

Be it noted: We went home. I enjoyed the delicious hummingbird cake. Janet enjoyed looking at the delicious hummingbird cake. And it was a pleasure having BB in town. The same invitation, with the possible exception of the nap, is open to other Roadfooders.

Rick: What no Nap???? You slept on me half the way back from Austin after pretty good libation and BBQ with Bushie

I enjoyed my visit to your hometown on two occasions. It is beautiful and I am glad BB enjoyed the meat pies.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
ScreamingChicken
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5233
RE: My head's in Mississippi 2008/12/11 15:27:14 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by buffetbuster

I watched them set up the dishes on the large round tables and I was just aching to get at all that wonderful food.

Finally, my table was ready. Since I was still their only customer,

So even though you were the only customer there they still put out all that food? Do they fill up each table as much as possible before seating diners at another one? I don't recall ever being in a round table restaurant; AFAIK it's just not common (if it exists at all) here in the upper Midwest.

Brad
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
RE: My head's in Mississippi 2008/12/11 15:43:16 (permalink)
Brad-
I was the only customer for about the first 10 minutes. Then a couple from Baton Rouge walked in and got sat at my table. A couple from Jackson, Louisiana were next. A party of five ladies from Baton Rouge again arrived right before I finished. Those were the only ones sat at my table while I was there. And my table was the only one set up with food on it. I have been here twice before in which long waits were required, so it being this empty is not typical.

I have also never been been to a round table restaurant outside of Mississippi, although there may very well be others out there.
CajunKing
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6559
RE: My head's in Mississippi 2008/12/11 18:04:50 (permalink)
D**n it boy, you are making me home sick!!!!

Lasyone's Meat Pies, yummmmmmmmmm, I agree on the gravy it is better on the dirty rice.

I would have loved to been in LA today, nothing like SNOW on the Bayou.
mland520
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 485
RE: My head's in Mississippi 2008/12/11 22:22:38 (permalink)
Lasyone's Meat Pies was our first stop for lunch when we were there for Memorial Day week-end. We walked from our B&B, since the entire main drag was under construction. They were awesome!
If any of you have seen Steel Magnolia's ( the movie) this is the little town where it was filmed. The Christmas Festival was featured in the movie and I guess it's like that for the entire month of December, if I am not mistaken.
My husband had his very first introduction to gumbo at a local eatery there, abut 8 years ago....can't remember the name of the place - it is on a corner and across from the Information Visitors office.....Rick, can you put a name to it? We went there also, but all they offer now is bugers. We try to get to Natchitoches every couple of years. It is one of our favorite places to spend a long week end! And the surrounding area has some very beautiful restored plantations. Melrose is my favorite, we have been there 3 or 4 times now. The history of the Cane River area is really interesting. And the food isn't bad either!
ann peeples
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 8695
RE: My head's in Mississippi 2008/12/11 22:44:05 (permalink)
Well, Rick-should Bob and I visit, I will need a nap before a meal like that( or after)
What a feast at the Dinner Bell!!!Good find, BB!
BioTeacher
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 43
RE: My head's in Mississippi 2008/12/12 09:43:23 (permalink)
buffetbuster,
I's a new poster. I have enjoyed your posts on this trip report for weeks. They are making me homesick. I am from Mendenhall but have been gone for 20+ years. The Mendenhall Hotel was one of my favorites as is Jerry's now. We go to Jerry's when we get down to visit family

BioTeacher
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
RE: My head's in Mississippi 2008/12/12 09:52:34 (permalink)
BioTeacher-
Welcome to Roadfood! Wasn't Mendenhall Hotel a great place? Definitely one of my all-time favorite Roadfood memories. Did you hear the same story about why they closed?
iqdiva
  • Total Posts : 1491
RE: My head's in Mississippi 2008/12/12 10:37:09 (permalink)
Beautiful photos Mr.BB ! But, I must correct you on something ... In Mississippi as they are in Alabama , lima beans are BUTTERBEANS !
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
RE: My head's in Mississippi 2008/12/12 11:04:28 (permalink)
Wednesday December 3, 2008 cont.

There is another round table restaurant called The Round Table in Columbia, MS. I did see signs for it as I drove through town, but I was on my way to Hattiesburg and had barbecue on my mind.

I was warned Leatha's Bar-B-Que was difficult to find, but once you see the RV dealership, it is directly behind it. The only indication from the road that this place exists is this sign.

Once you get past all the RVs, the first thing you notice is all the smoke pouring out of this building.

That can only be a good omen! The restaurant itself is in the building next door.

Other than the fact that it is bigger than the typical barbecue parlor, it sure has the right feel. The inside was decorated with Southern Miss University posters and some Brett Favre photos.

Your silverware is wrapped in a washcloth, to be used as a napkin.

If I remember correctly, they do have chicken, beef and even turkey on the menu. But, this is pork country, so I got a pulled pork and pork ribs combo. For my two sides, I went with the cole slaw and the potato salad.

I started on the cole slaw,

which had a slight mustard taste and was very fresh and crisp. Wonderful! The potato salad

was nothing short of spectacular. It had a much stronger mustardy taste. The potatoes were cut up in larger than normal chunks and still had the skin on. There was also chopped up egg and celery in here. This was as good a potato salad I have ever had.

The pulled pork was lightly sauced (thank you!), but pork this tender and moist needs no sauce at all.

And though I typically prefer spare ribs, these baby backs were fall off the bone delicious.

This was a truly great meal and one of the best meals of the trip. I also noticed that a table next to mine had french fries, which the waitress said were hand cut. They looked equally as wonderful.

When I was almost done eating, my waitress asked if I wanted a to go box. Since I was planning on finishing it here, I said no. But after thinking about it for minute, I got up and asked the waitress for a box. While I was away from my table, the overzealous busboy grabbed the small portion I had left and threw it away. Despite my protests, she gave me an entire new order of everything. You sure can't complain about treatment like that!

BTW, I liked the t-shirt the busboy was wearing. It said, "Muddy Waters invented the electric guitar, Ms. Leatha invented barbecue!" I tried to buy one of the shirts, but they didn't have my size.

Next stop was the Southern Miss bookstore. Then, I visited the art deco post office in downtown.

I purposely left this day light on activities, since this was going to be my laundry day. So after checking into my hotel, I spent the next few hours relaxing and doing laundry.

Finally, it was time to head out for dinner, which was Mack's Fish Camp. I knew it would be way too much to ask for three great meals in one day, because I did not like Mack's at all. The huge building is decorated like a fish camp inside

and was all but empty. There is a buffet and here is my plate.

I did like the bbq beans, which had three different types of beans in it. But everything else was not good at all.

I will remember the whole fried catfish, sans head, on the buffet.

And the wild, colorful mural on a back wall.

On the way out, I spoke with the owner, who was a really nice man. I wish I could give you a better report on this place, but I can't.

There were thoughts of visiting the Wintzell's here in Hattiesburg, but I had enough for the day and just returned to my hotel for the night.

Much more to come.....
post edited by buffetbuster - 2009/01/22 18:14:40
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
RE: My head's in Mississippi 2008/12/12 11:41:39 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by iqdiva

Beautiful photos Mr.BB ! But, I must correct you on something ... In Mississippi as they are in Alabama , lima beans are BUTTERBEANS !
Thanks for the correction. This is especially timely, since I have more lima beans, I mean butterbeans coming up.
RibRater
  • Total Posts : 1862
RE: My head's in Mississippi 2008/12/12 12:02:46 (permalink)
Roll on BB...great report. That potato salad looks just right to me. I grew up eating a fabulous mustard base potato salad (hot or cold) with que and it is still what I prefer to have on my plate next to my ribs.
mbrookes
  • Total Posts : 1355
RE: My head's in Mississippi 2008/12/12 13:59:50 (permalink)
I'm sorry the Dinner Bell didn't have cabbage the day you were there. It is the best cabbage I have ever eaten, and cabbage is one of my favorite foods.

lqdiva is right. Those are butter beans.. they come as green or speckled, which turn brown when cooked. Lima beans are those big old mushy things that come in a can.

A Letha's story:
Letha herself once came out of the back and chastized Sam for wearing "somebody else's barbeque shirt" in her place. Once he showed her it was from Wilson's in South Hill, VA, and not a competitor, all was forgiven.
Buzzbait82
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 51
RE: My head's in Mississippi 2008/12/12 14:20:44 (permalink)
BB, I could have told you to skip Mack's. Is has become way to institutionalized to be any good. Winztell's would have been a much better choice. Oh well, there is always next time. Did you get a chance to eat anywhere else in our great city of Hattiesburg?
Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 5 of 10
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1