My head's in Mississippi

Page: << < ..678910 > Showing page 9 of 10
Author
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10082
RE: My head's in Mississippi 2009/01/30 08:19:40 (permalink)
Jesco-
Glad you decided to jump on in!  We hope to hear a lot more from you. 

nocarolina-
I don't think it will take very much persuading to get us to stop at Abe's!  I am anxious to try out their tamales, too.
cecif
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1414
RE: My head's in Mississippi 2009/02/08 21:36:10 (permalink)
Okay I can't keep reading I'll forget what I wanna ask.

1. Mama's Oyster House: what was the sauce served with your shrimp appetizer? Looks yummy!

2. That sign "Beware: Pickpockets & Loose Women", we had that in our kitchen growing up. my dad loved to collect fun signs and before they renovated the kitchen he had tons of great stuff!

Really loving this report. Did anyone ask & did you answer: if the photo with the dog was your 2nd favorite of the trip, which was your favorite? (Or did it say & I forgot already?)

buffetbuster
Porterhouse
RE: My head's in Mississippi 2009/02/09 07:48:57 (permalink)
cecif-
If you are talking about the bbq shrimp, it was served in a thin, slightly hot bbq sauce, if I remember correctly.  Hopefully, Rick F. reads this and chimes in, since he eats there regularly.

I am guessing that it was your mom who decided all those fun signs had to go?  Your dad sounds like my dad!  My favorite photo is the guy walking up at the drive-thru at Hick's.  I'm not sure why it struck me as so funny, but it did. 

cecif
RE: My head's in Mississippi 2009/02/09 22:07:33 (permalink)
buffetbuster
Since Rick and Janet knew the menu so well, I was happy to let them take the lead in what to eat. We started off with an appetizer of just spicy enough barbecued shrimp.

This one... it has a dipping sauce that looks yummy!
cecif
RE: My head's in Mississippi 2009/02/09 22:12:22 (permalink)
buffetbuster
I am guessing that it was your mom who decided all those fun signs had to go?  Your dad sounds like my dad!  My favorite photo is the guy walking up at the drive-thru at Hick's.  I'm not sure why it struck me as so funny, but it did. 

HECK NO! It was just that the kitchen was renovated and made a bit fancier and actually more wall cabinets meant less signs.  But for years we had a funny poster on the wall in the hall to the kitchen that had a naked obese woman from behind, with a shopping cart full of junk food, and it said "Never food shop when you're hungry!"  (I hope this isn't offensive, it really was funny!)

Most of the signs ended up later in my parents' second home (a ranch), which has been sold so they're probably in storage now.  My mom and dad's senses of humor are definitely intact!

That IS a funny photo.

buffetbuster
Porterhouse
RE: My head's in Mississippi 2009/02/10 08:34:56 (permalink)
cecif-
Oh, that sauce!  Frankly, I don't remember.  How about I contact RickF. and see if he knows.
cecif
RE: My head's in Mississippi 2009/02/19 00:05:59 (permalink)
buffetbuster

cecif-
Oh, that sauce!  Frankly, I don't remember.  How about I contact RickF. and see if he knows.

I hope you will!
blackirondude
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 18
RE: My head's in Mississippi 2010/02/10 23:59:02 (permalink)
buffetbuster - We are using this trip report as we circle through MS.

Loved the Dinner Bell earlier today.

Roadfood and this report are great resources.
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
RE: My head's in Mississippi 2010/02/11 07:47:44 (permalink)
blackirondude-
Welcome to Roadfood!  And thanks so much for letting me know that this trip report helped you.  You have no idea how good that makes me feel.  Isn't the Dinner Bell wonderful?  I will be back in Mississippi in just a few weeks and I am trying to make sure I fit it into my schedule.

Please let us know where else you go!
blackirondude
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 18
RE: My head's in Mississippi 2010/02/13 22:41:40 (permalink)
I'll make a short list in order of visit.

Sunday Afternoon - Gus's World Famous Fried Chicken in Memphis - Fun place and killer chicken. The after-church rush came after we sat down and it was fun to observe.

Monday - Attempted to go to Bryant's Breakfast but 4 inches of snow caused chaos and panic and Bryant's was closed. Did some errands and went to the Germantown Commissary for lunch.

I got the ribs and pork shoulder combo. Karen got a pork sandwich. I liked the shoulder but really liked the ribs. This place seems to lightly season their meat so you can admire what they turn out in terms of pork and smoking technique. They have plenty of rub, bbq sauces and hot sauce on the table for you to adjust the seasoning to your liking.

Lemon Icebox pie and a piece of Coconut cake (both were great) were taken in to go boxes.

Rowdy's Family Restaurant (a Catfish joint) in Vicksburg was the dinner stop. We planned on hitting the Cock of the Walk in Natchez in another day or two but Vicksburg seems lacking in places to eat so we went to Rowdy's.

Rowdy's was very good. I was impressed with the fried catfish, excellent cornbread, black eyed peas and turnip greens. The blackened catfish was not so good. Not enough seasoning or sear to be truly blackened.

Tuesday - Hotel provided bagels and fruit was breakfast. We toured the Vicksburg Battlefield until 2 and then went south hoping to hit the Old Country Store in Lorman in time for a late lunch/early dinner. When we got there it looked closed so we proceeded to Cock of the Walk.

I do like catfish so 2 nights in a row of excellent fried catfish, cornbread, greens and sweet tea was no hardship. Neither place makes good hush puppies IMHO.

Wednesday - No breakfast. Did a guided tour of the town and visited the Natchez Indian Grand Village then made a beeline to Mammy's Cupboard where we picked up Caramel Banana pie and Hummingbird cake and then hurried to McComb for the Dinner Bell.

Everything was excellent from both places. At the Dinner Bell we sat next to some older locals who were amazed that we had heard of the place and they told us how the roundtable restaurants used to be much more common in Mississippi. I told the owner that we had learned of the place via Roadfood books and forums.

After travelling to Starkville MS that evening we decided to split a chicken and ribs combo from the Little Dooey. It was very good but not outstanding. The next morning we spotted Petty's Barbecue and thought it looked well worth trying but they were not open.

Thursday - Breakfast, I had wanted some ham biscuits and grits since we arrived but had not had any so we went back to the Little Dooey and they turned out a good breakfast that satisfied the craving.

Lunch was at Bill's Hamburgers in Amory. The covered sidewalk is gone now so I thought they might have moved. Bill's was quite tasty.

After visiting Shiloh Battlefield (and planning to return the next day) we went to Savannah TN were we had the only truly bad meal of the trip. La Positina (or something like that) is a terrible excuse for a Mexican restaurant and should be avoided at all costs.

Friday - Breakfast at the Whirleybird (or Worleybird, owned by country singer Daryl Worley) was OK. I would look elsewhere next time.

"Lunch" was at the Pie Folks in Olive Branch and I really enjoyed the Coconut pie and the Smack Yo Mama Chocolate pie.

Dinner was at Leonards Barbecue and it was excellent. Karen got the wet ribs and I got the dry. I prefer dry ribs but both were great. Excellent beans and rolls came with the meal, I could not get excited about the mustardy coleslaw.

Saturday - Bryant's Breakfast got a second chance and it was well worth trying a second time. Excellent biscuits! I make a mean biscuit but these are better than mine so I have to figure out what I need to do.

In the airport before the trip home I resisted the temptation to try the Interstate Barbecue in terminal B.

We really enjoyed our trip and appreciate all the tips on places to eat.

buffetbuster
Porterhouse
RE: My head's in Mississippi 2010/02/16 08:44:17 (permalink)
blackirondude-
That is some kind of trip you had!  Thanks so much for sharing with us.  Sorry you missed out on Old Country Store, but now you have me jonesing for Gus's Fried Chicken and Pie Folks!
Gumbo191
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 71
Re:My head's in Mississippi 2010/02/19 22:31:37 (permalink)
Great to see some "Soithern Destinations" on RF! I think we need a Southern edition of RF!
MiamiDon
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4306
RE: My head's in Mississippi 2011/05/22 08:20:12 (permalink)
Nancypalooza Quote:
 So what was bad exactly about the slugburger? It kinda looks like a pork cutlet.

I just read today that there is a Slugburger Festival in Corinth, Mississippi July 7-9.   The article says that it is a beloved regional specialty.  I thought it was just an oddball sandwich in a couple of dives, er roadfood restaurants. 

According to the Wiki listing, "A slugburger is a traditional southern delicacy found in northeast Mississippi, particularly Corinth, Iuka and northwest Alabama."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slugburger

post edited by MiamiDon - 2011/05/22 08:22:44
mbrookes
  • Total Posts : 1354
RE: My head's in Mississippi 2011/05/23 11:51:24 (permalink)
Sorry you bummed out in Vicksburg. If you return, I reccommend the Beachwood. It's one of those places in the South that are three in one: Go in to the right for the coffee shop and an incredible bacon cheese burger. In to the left for white tablecloth restaurant with supurb fried shrimp and steaks. Straight back (at night only) is a true honky-tonk.
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
RE: My head's in Mississippi 2011/05/23 13:13:00 (permalink)
Love seeing the old trip reports being brought back.  Especially this one, since it is still my favorite one.

mbrookes-
I was looking at the Beachwood and it does look like a really interesting place.  Thanks for the tip.  Although, I ate so incredibly well on this trip, I am in no position to complain about a dud here or there.
Littleman
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 590
RE: My head's in Mississippi 2011/05/23 13:47:44 (permalink)
MBrookes............I read a review recently that said Beachwood was terrible.  I have not been there in quite some time.  Thanks for posting an update.  I will keep them in mind.  Good luck.
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
RE: My head's in Mississippi 2011/05/24 13:17:36 (permalink)
MD-
Obviously, I visited the wrong place in Corinth for a slugburger, since White Trolley Cafe is in the latest Roadfood book.  Despite my bad experience with it at Borroum's Drug Store, I would still try another slugburger.
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
RE: My head's in Mississippi 2011/07/25 18:42:17 (permalink)
While doing some research for an upcoming trip to Mississippi, I came across this video of Arthur Davis of Old Country Store singing.  That sure does bring back great memories!
post edited by buffetbuster - 2011/07/25 18:48:39
joerogo
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4512
RE: My head's in Mississippi 2011/07/25 20:02:16 (permalink)
BB, I remember enjoying this trip report.  Thanks for the link.
Foodbme
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10100
RE: My head's in Mississippi 2011/07/26 03:49:13 (permalink)
BB,
If you're going down there in the fall, try to coordinate your trip to take in an Ole Miss Football game. Don't even bother buying a Ticket to the game, just show up at the Mecca Of Tailgating Excellence----The Grove! I know you're a football fan and have probably done some tailgating at PSU and they do a great job there, but an Ole Miss Tailgate Happening in Oxford is not to be missed! http://taylortakesataste.com/ole-miss-tailgating-might-not-always-win-the-game-but-will-always-win-the-party/
( AND you get to try 367 different recipes for Pimento Cheese Sandwiches!)

The Scenery is Gorgeous!

post edited by Foodbme - 2011/07/26 04:11:47
Littleman
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 590
RE: My head's in Mississippi 2011/08/02 16:35:06 (permalink)
If you take a rest stop near the LA/MS state line at Osyka, MS get off I 55 at Exit 1 and go E on Highway 584 and go to Second Street. Take a right and go to Nyla's for outstanding burgers. The nearby town of Kentwood, LA is the home of Britney Spears who is a frequent visitor at Nyla's.
Nyla's Burger Basket @ 1071 Second Street, Osyka, MS 601 - 542 - 5032.
For the best southern cooking in the US go to Dinner Bell in McComb, MS. They are open for lunch only Tuesday through Sunday. Get off I 55 at Exit 17 and go E on Delaware Avenue to S Broadway. Take a right and go 2 blocks to 5th Avenue. Take a right and go to Dinner Bell. You will sit around large lazy susan tables filled with southern specials like fresh vegetable casseroles, fried eggplant and fried chicken. Stop by on your way N.
The Dinner Bell @ 229 5th Ave., McComb, MS. 601 - 684 - 4883.
http://www.thedinnerbell.net/index.html
If you want good soul food near Summit, MS get off I 55 at Exit 20 and go W. Take your first right on Old Brookhaven Road and go N to Doretha's.
Doretha's @ 1139 Old Brookhaven Road, Summit, MS 601 - 276 - 9594.
For good BBQ get off I 55 at Exit 72 in Crystal Springs, MS and go E on Highway 27. Go E for about a mile to the Intersection of Highway 27 and Highway 51 to Louise's for outstanding BBQ. Google has Louise's home address so a GPS may take you to the wrong place. Just go straight from I 55 on Highway 27 to the IS of 51 and 27. It's in a brown frame building with a high yellow sign. Here's a link to their menu. They are open to about 9 PM.
Bring an ice chest and pick up some custom processed meat from Wilson's Meathouse in Crystal Springs. Get off I 55 at Exit 68 towards Crystal Springs and go E for .4 mile to Highway 51. Take a right and go 1.1 mile and Wilson's will be on your left.
Louise Open Pit BBQ @ 26164 Hwy. 27, Crystal Springs, MS. 601 - 892 - 5003.
http://carpejackson.com/2.../louises-open-pit-bbq/
Wilson's Meathouse @ 23086 U.S. 51, Crystal Springs, MS 601 - 892 - 2951.
http://www.sararoahen.com...issippi_Meathouse.html

Get off I 55 at Exit 81 and go W to Terry Road. Take a right and go to Wyndale's for outstanding steaks.
Wyndale Steakhouse @ 6672 Terry Road, Terry, MS 601 - 878 - 2695.
If you stop in Jackson, MS on your way N/S and you would like outstanding fresh seafood or steaks in a great atmosphere get off I 220 Bypass at Exit 1B and go E on Highway 80 to Crechales. It's in an old run down joint on the right but they serve some fine food. Be sure to try their Cumback Sauce. Get a few bottles to take home.
Crechale's @ 3107 Highway 80 West, Jackson, MS. 601 - 355 - 1840.
Hickory Pit is a great place to stop in Jackson, MS for good BBQ.
Hickory Pit @ 1491 Canton Mart Road, Jackson, MS 601 - 956 - 7079.
…metromix.com/restaurants/…content
If you stop near Grenada, MS go to High on the Hog or Jake and Rips for good road food.
High on the Hog BBQ @ 711 Lakeview Dr., Grenada, MS 662 - 226 - 5635.
Jake and Rips @ at 1525 Sunset Dr., Grenada, MS 662 - 227 - 9955.

HDtravlr1
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 288
RE: My head's in Mississippi 2011/08/02 22:16:31 (permalink)

I want to know more about the baked/fried okra. Could be good.
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
RE: My head's in Mississippi 2011/08/16 15:30:28 (permalink)
This weekend, I'm going to Jackson.  Even though I haven't been doing too much in the way of trip reports lately, there will definitely be one for this trip.  Just because I love Mississippi so much.

Meanwhile, any good suggestions for breakfast in Jackson?
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4538
RE: My head's in Mississippi 2011/08/16 15:45:47 (permalink)
buffetbuster
This weekend, I'm going to Jackson

I'd prefer a little more notice when you come see me, but it will be good to see you regardless.

Bring Isaly's with you, por favor
Buzzbait82
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 51
RE: My head's in Mississippi 2011/08/16 17:52:16 (permalink)
Another Broken Egg Cafe in Ridgeland is great for breakfast.  It is about 3 miles north of Jackson up I-55.  It is a chain but started nearby in Mandeville, LA.  Lots of local twists on breakfast.
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
RE: My head's in Mississippi 2011/08/17 09:09:12 (permalink)
TJ Jackson

buffetbuster
This weekend, I'm going to Jackson

I'd prefer a little more notice when you come see me, but it will be good to see you regardless.

Bring Isaly's with you, por favor

Nicely done!
Sorry, no Isaly's.  Would you settle for tamales, pompano and gulf shrimp?
big666dog
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 83
Re:My head's in Mississippi 2011/08/24 21:30:22 (permalink)
Re: skipping the buffet.
I've noticed a lot of buffets in the south and places that seem to serve down-home food that way and have usually shied away. Observing the locals makes the most sense here. I wonder if there are some that just are not to be missed. I've hear Mother's in New Orleans, while cafeteria more than buffet, for example is not to be missed.
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
Re:My head's in Mississippi 2011/08/25 09:08:23 (permalink)
In case anyone was wondering, I changed my mind about doing a trip report about my (short) weekend in Mississippi.  It was such an almost non-stop series of misadventures, you would have thought The Travelin Man was with me.
CajunKing
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6352
Re:My head's in Mississippi 2011/08/25 16:35:32 (permalink)
buffetbuster

In case anyone was wondering, I changed my mind about doing a trip report about my (short) weekend in Mississippi.  It was such an almost non-stop series of misadventures, you would have thought The Travelin Man was with me.

BB
That description makes me want to hear about the trip now.  Sorry your trip went not so as planned.

buffetbuster
Porterhouse
Re:My head's in Mississippi 2011/08/25 20:05:34 (permalink)
CK-
Hmmmm, you may be right.....
Page: << < ..678910 > Showing page 9 of 10
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1