Hot!NEBA ROAST BEEF

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
Daddybear
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 1
2006/10/20 22:00:05 (permalink)

NEBA ROAST BEEF

Is anyone wishing to recover a Neba Roast Beef sandwich? Arby's is chopped, processed and pressed back together before it is sliced for the customer. Neba was real roast beef. But they seem to have disappeared. Well I know where there is at least one left. It was originally owned by Mike's Giant Submarines. It was then taken over by Mr. B's Best, and there still is one in Queensbury, NY. It is located on State Rt. 9 just a few hundred yards north of Aviation Rd. This place needs to recover and come back and put Arby's out of business. I would also like to see Mike's Subs come back. From what I know, Mr. B's Best in Queensbury still also makes subs like the original Mike's.

32 Replies Related Threads

enginecapt
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3486
    RE: NEBA ROAST BEEF 2006/10/20 22:27:00 (permalink)
    Do you know what the name Neba stands for?
    Pigiron
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1384
    RE: NEBA ROAST BEEF 2006/10/20 23:22:38 (permalink)
    There was a "Mike's NEBA" in Albany, NY in the 80's when I was living there for college. They had a big picture of "Mike" on their street sign. I recall that it was a pretty good roast beef sandwich. There was a damn good stretch of food there on Central Ave:

Bob and Ron's Fish Fry
    Mike's NEBA
    Steak and Egg Kitchen
    Westgate Diner
    Grandma's Pie Shop (or something like that)

There was also a decent NY style deli behind the diner and a really bad (but very cheap) pizza shop in Westgate Plaza. I haven't been up there in at least 10 years, I wonder if any of those places still exist?
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18946
    RE: NEBA ROAST BEEF 2006/10/21 00:37:43 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by enginecapt

Someone told me back in the late 1960s -- I think it was 1969 -- that it stood for Never Buy Arby's.
    pmrkr2
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 319
    RE: NEBA ROAST BEEF 2006/10/21 03:38:12 (permalink)
    i remember when i went to college there was a neba in hempstead, ny (on long island) and an arby's down the block. i convinced a friend of mine one night when we had ingested some mind altering chemicals that neba stood for "never eat beef again" and arby's was for "artifical roast beef" and that the supposed roast beef used was actually a reconstitued soy product. ahh the power of pyshcedelcs.
    enginecapt
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3486
    RE: NEBA ROAST BEEF 2006/10/21 03:49:32 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Michael Hoffman

quote:

Someone told me back in the late 1960s -- I think it was 1969 -- that it stood for Never Buy Arby's.
    Thank you Mr. Hoffman.
    Niagara
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 985
    RE: NEBA ROAST BEEF 2006/10/21 13:01:40 (permalink)
    We had a NEBA in Niagara Falls, NY, and it paired with a sub shop called, I think, Mike's. I remember it being good, but that was a long tiome ago.
    sk bob
    • Total Posts : 1801
    RE: NEBA ROAST BEEF 2006/10/26 22:17:14 (permalink)
    i seem to recall a Neba Roast Beef on Dixie Hwy in Ft. Lauderdale in the early 80's
    waltpiii
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 427
    RE: NEBA ROAST BEEF 2006/10/26 22:56:35 (permalink)
    Mike's and NEBA were started by the same people. Often they were side by side sharing common prep, storage and refrigeration.

Mikes came first and I believe the first store was on the point of Washington and Central Avenues in Albany, NY

Walt
    milstein
    Junior Burger
    RE: NEBA ROAST BEEF 2006/11/30 16:28:27 (permalink)
    Someone asked:

Back when I actually went to a Neba, somewhere near Pittsfield, Massachusetts, in the summer of 1967, I was told by a friend that NEBA stood for New England Beef Association.

Back then I was working at a summer camp up there, and that same friend told me that Neba's were only located in New England, hence his interpretation of the name.

I have no idea if that is true.
    6star
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4388
    RE: NEBA ROAST BEEF 2006/11/30 18:07:05 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by milstein

Someone asked:

Back when I actually went to a Neba, somewhere near Pittsfield, Massachusetts, in the summer of 1967, I was told by a friend that NEBA stood for New England Beef Association.

Back then I was working at a summer camp up there, and that same friend told me that Neba's were only located in New England, hence his interpretation of the name.

I have no idea if that is true.

Here are another 20 possibilities, courtesy of Google:

NASA Employees Benefit Association
    National Electronic Billers Alliance
    National Ethical Breeders Association
    National Exhibits by Blind Artists
    Nebraska Economics and Business Association
    Nederland Batam
    Nepal Bar Association
    Nepal Basketball Association
    Net Environmental Benefit Analysis
    New England Bankcard Association
    New England Basketball Association
    New England Booksellers Association
    New England Bowlers Association
    New England Bus Association
    North East Bass Association (fishing)
    NorthEast Baseball Alliance
    North Eastern Bridge Association
    North Edgewater Beach Association
    Nordic Energy Broker Association
    Nottinghamshire Education Business Alliance
    GordonW
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 924
    RE: NEBA ROAST BEEF 2006/11/30 19:40:08 (permalink)
    I'd go with Nepal Basketball Association.
    ChiTownDiner
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3010
    RE: NEBA ROAST BEEF 2006/11/30 21:11:53 (permalink)
    Hit the Neba in Ft. Lauderdale in the spring of 1974 for spring break. Walked in and instantly recognized Joe Namath (Bachelor's Three was around the corner) and he had just paid for a large sack of beef sandwhiches. We all yelled - hey Joe! and he started throwing roast beef passes to us. It was pretty cool!
    CajunKing
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6559
    RE: NEBA ROAST BEEF 2006/12/01 09:37:20 (permalink)
    Gordon....... you beat me to it!
    kemu
    Junior Burger
    RE: NEBA ROAST BEEF 2008/08/24 09:47:48 (permalink)
    quote:

NEBA stands for 'Nicest Eating Beef Around" ..this is not a guess. I'm from Glens Falls, near where NEBA got its start. I remember that 'Nicest Eating Beef Around' was part of the advertising for the Mike's Subs and NEBA shops. As reported here, there is a Mr. B's Best that took over the location and menu of a Mike's/NEBA in Queensbury, NY. The current Mr' B's is fairly close to the original Mike's/NEBA in recipe and taste although it has slipped some.
    JayW2112
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 4
    RE: NEBA ROAST BEEF 2009/03/25 02:00:11 (permalink)
    All these answers are quite amusing!  The actual answer is a bit more boring.  Neba was the name of Mike's dog. 

Mike Davis founded Mike's Giant Sub's and Neba Roast Beef.  Please don't ask why he named his dog Neba.  That I don't know!

BTW - My dad owned 8 Mike's/Neba's in the Albany area throughout the 70's and early 80's.  I worked there beginning at 14.  And Neba's were awesome!

Mike Davis moved to Ft Lauderdale to take his franchises national, then went belly-up.  He opened a popular restaurant in Charleston, SC, then a store that accepted returned bottles and cans as payment (or something like that).  He contacted my dad a few years ago because someone was going to write a story about his life.  I'm not sure, but I think I remember my dad telling me he passed away recently.
    DawnT
    • Total Posts : 1286
    RE: NEBA ROAST BEEF 2009/03/25 09:49:55 (permalink)
    They opened several in Miami during the 60's. The one I remember best opened up right accross the street from an Arby's. Even KFC tried to get into the act and opened several "Kentucky Beef" restaurants that were company owned and often next door to the newer company KFC owned red and whites. Both used the same formula as Arby's. If I remember right, KFC's was also real,shaved beef too. Neither lasted very long. All the NEBA's became Mother Butler Pies within a few years and KFC closed their KB outlets about the same time.  Arby's pared down to a few remaining restaurants afterwards too.

One of the things that irked a lot of people when you brought up these beef sandwich outlets back when was the blatently obvious portrion control that they did in front of you. Maybe someone in marketing thought that it was a selling point, but it really pissed a lot of people off so badly that mentioning Arby's would often get a negative reaction not about the food, but the way they would put a plastic glove on and shake out the meat onto a scale in front of you.
    carolina bob
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3420
    RE: NEBA ROAST BEEF 2009/03/25 10:14:13 (permalink)
    Dawn, I vaguely remember the Kentucky Beef restaurants you mentioned. I'm pretty sure that we didn't have them here in the Chicago area, so I must have seen them on my family's many roadtrips to Kentucky and North Carolina. Do you know which states had them?
    Nancypalooza
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3778
    RE: NEBA ROAST BEEF 2009/03/25 10:27:00 (permalink)
    So if there's a Mike's Subs here, could it be the same chain?
    ScreamingChicken
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5233
    RE: NEBA ROAST BEEF 2009/03/25 10:30:25 (permalink)
    nocarolina

Dawn, I vaguely remember the Kentucky Beef restaurants you mentioned. I'm pretty sure that we didn't have them here in the Chicago area, so I must have seen them on my family's many roadtrips to Kentucky and North Carolina. Do you know which states had them?

In the '70s the KFC in Belvidere IL had a cupola with KFC and KBH (Kentucky Beef & Ham) signs on alternating sides.

Brad
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18946
    RE: NEBA ROAST BEEF 2009/03/25 11:10:56 (permalink)
    JayW2112

All these answers are quite amusing!  The actual answer is a bit more boring.  Neba was the name of Mike's dog. 

Thanks for the information, but I'm sticking to Never Buy Arbys. It may not be true, but I like it better. And I agree with it.

DawnT
    • Total Posts : 1286
    RE: NEBA ROAST BEEF 2009/03/25 11:18:19 (permalink)
    AFAIK, the only ones that I ever seen were here in Miami and Ft. Lauderdale area. I was in jr.high when they opened them around here in '68-'69. As a kid, I have really no idea where else they were.

KFC's company stores entered the market very agressively all at once at the time, often within close proximity of their franchises. Typical pattern was a corner lot that two or three buildings went up at the same time, with the corner building being a red and white KFC, Kentucky Beef (which looked a lot like an Arby's) and in some places an Italian restaurant called Victoria. I don't know if Victoria was a KFC project too and I never been in one.   The KB's and Victoria restaurants vanished shortly after, probably by  '72 or '73.  A seafood chain called 7 Seas took over most of the KB's around here.
    carolina bob
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3420
    RE: NEBA ROAST BEEF 2009/03/25 11:38:08 (permalink)
    Brad, I stand corrected. Apparently there were Kentucky Beef outlets in northern Illinois. Once again my aging brain cells have let me down.
    JayW2112
    Junior Burger
    RE: NEBA ROAST BEEF 2009/03/29 18:21:06 (permalink)
    Nancypalooza

So if there's a Mike's Subs here, could it be the same chain?

Nancy - There's another chain called "Jersey Mike's Subs" that is not the same.  If it's actually "Mike's Giant Submarines", then it might be.  But I thought they were gone.
    JayW2112
    Junior Burger
    RE: NEBA ROAST BEEF 2009/03/29 18:30:32 (permalink)
    Michael Hoffman

JayW2112

Thanks for the information, but I'm sticking to Never Buy Arbys. It may not be true, but I like it better. And I agree with it.

No problem Michael.  As I said, the real answer is more boring.  Actually, Arby's wasn't even around when Neba's came out.  Certainly not in Albany.  Mike's was a pretty creative guy though, so you never know!
    KeithC
    Junior Burger
    RE: NEBA ROAST BEEF 2012/03/14 00:49:13 (permalink)
    Hey Jay,
    Is it true that Mike Davis was a high school dropout?  If so, he did very well!  I mean no disrespect, but someone had told me that he lost everything due to a gambling issue.  Any truth to this?
    Anyway, I'll always think of Mike's & NEBAs as a terrific time in my life in the Albany area - high school pranks & all!  Same for Carrols!.....and who could forget Mohawk Airlines!!!
    joeneba
    Junior Burger
    RE: NEBA ROAST BEEF 2013/01/12 11:36:55 (permalink)
    Hey you guys, by looking at my nick-name you can see I have some knowledge of the Neba Roast Beef history.  At least in S. Florida.  My father and Mike were friends in the 60's.  We lived across the canal from Mike in Pompano Beach.  My dad and Mike went into business together in 67.  They had opened 3 or 4 Nebas in the area.  Federal and Sunrise, Hollywood Circle, Ft Laud. Beach by Elbow Room and one some were on 163rd St. in N.Miami.  I started working when I was 5 at the one on Sunrise Blvd. and Federal toasting buns on a milk crate.  Mike was bought out in 70-71.  At one time there were up to 14 stores from N. Pompano Beach to Alton Ave in Miami.  In Sunrise and Miramar to the west back when there was nothing out there.  My dad George sold the last one in the late 70's, bought it back, sold it again, but kept the business running.  We finally closed Aug 86'.  I live in Orlando now and we have a copy cat called Beefy King.  It has been here since 68' and hasn't changed.  Great roast beef, tater tots, spicy horseradish and b-b-q sauces too.
    mhill95
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 200
    RE: NEBA ROAST BEEF 2013/01/12 23:41:32 (permalink)
    Ate at the Beefy King last week, always make the stop coming
    past there.....unless traffic dictates.
    Pretty decent sandwich.

mike
    The Doctor
    Junior Burger
    RE: NEBA ROAST BEEF 2013/03/15 14:27:21 (permalink)
    I discovered this thread by accident and had to register just so I could respond.

Yes indeed, there was a Mike's and a Neba in Albany NY.  They were there in the 1960's at least if not farther back.  We would hit Mike's totally trashed after playing at Papa's Tavern on New Scotland Ave. until 2am. 

Neba was further up Central Ave. and all the 60's muscle cars used to congregate in that parking lot on weekend nights.  I90 was in the progress of being built and had next to no traffic on it.  So we used it to settle arguments about who's car was faster.

Mike's used to sponsor this thing called the "School Spirit Contest".  The winning school got a free rock concert.  Cardinal McCloskey won it in 1968.  The headline band was the Lovin Spoonful, and there were quite a few other acts.  The only one I can recall by name was the "Statler Brothers".

Those were the good ole days LOL

JayW2112
    Junior Burger
    RE: NEBA ROAST BEEF 2013/07/22 22:39:07 (permalink)
    Keith:  I'm not sure, but I'll ask my dad.  It would not surprise me.  Mike was a real entrepreneur.  He certainly gambled in business (i.e. took a lot of risks), but not sure about actual gambling.  Mike's son called my dad recently to interview him for a book he was writing about his father.  I'll check on the outcome of that as well.
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1