Hot!Pittsburgh Memories of the 2,000,000 who moved

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 2 of 9
Author
MetroplexJim
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3987
RE: Pittsburgh Memories of the 2,000,000 who moved 2008/10/13 18:37:52 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Foodbme

quote:
Originally posted by Mosca

CHIPPED HAM!

Not just chipped ham-----ISLEY'S CHIPPED HAM!!!

The Isleys sang "Shout!"; Isaly's had the chipped ham!
Capybara91
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 240
RE: Pittsburgh Memories of the 2,000,000 who moved 2008/10/13 18:39:17 (permalink)
was wondering if anyone remembers the St Paddy's Day blizzard of 1973. I was in high school-first time I had flown. We left Laguardia in New York and it was 70 degrees. By the time we skidded into Pittsburgh, there was 24 inches of snow. The teacher's daughter was driving and we slid off the highway like 3 times. Finally, we skidded into a pizza parlor sign in Coraopolis. So the teacher's relatives came and bailed us out, slept somewhere in Zelienople for the night.
badseed555
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 44
RE: Pittsburgh Memories of the 2,000,000 who moved 2008/10/13 18:54:00 (permalink)
I was born in Butler an then moved to Pgh from 75 til May of 93. Went to Duquesne and then Pitt. Left for a post doc and found my way back to Pennsylvania but to the land of bad football, outside of Phily. Go Steelers! Not that I care that much about football, I just like winding up the Phily fans. I do hope the Phillies do well in the playoffs but the Eagles....

I remember the skyscraper cones at Isley's and yes white house was my favorite. Chipped ham and Rhoda's (Rodents) rare roast beef o fresh bagels from Bagel land

Ahh the Electric Banana and Pirmanti's at 1:45 AM, Robert Fripp and the League of Gentlemen at the Decade(plus countless others including Stevie Ray Vaughan) and sneaking into every Frank Zappa concert at the Stanley.

The garlic puff's at Klines on lightup night
Fish sandwiches at Willies in Valencia
The shrimp rolls at the New Chinatown Inn
Aiellos pizza, always sausage and green pepper
The old fellow at vinnies making pizza with a cigarette in his mouth with about 2 inches of ash
Ribs at the House of Sauce
Mystery sandwiches from Chiodos
Gyros at Mike and Tonys
Tessaros
Kim's coffee shop, Vietnamese

But most of all wings with dry seasoning at the Lyndora hotel slathered with chicken hot sauce(sriachi) and hot dogs from the best place "where the best people on earth pass thru the doors, our customers" the Hot Dog Shop on Cunningham st in Butler.

Sadly the Hot dog shop is gone but thje Lyndora hotel is still there, closed 2 days out of the year with a fine patina of grease over everything. Thomas hot sausage!

The Hot Dog Shop had years of chewing gum under the tables, a standard at which we judged any resturant, if it didn't have gum under the table, it must not be any good. Does anyone remember the Hot Dog shop?

MamaDuck, your mother was a gem, may she always dine well in the stars. After many years of UK trips, ag snagged my back bacon from the UK.

many tanks to MetroplexJim for starting this!
MetroplexJim
Filet Mignon
RE: Pittsburgh Memories of the 2,000,000 who moved 2008/10/13 18:59:44 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Foodbme

quote:
Originally posted by MetroplexJim

quote:
Originally posted by Capybara91

The colors were chosen to promote the attributes for steel: yellow lightens your work; orange brightens your leisure; and blue widens your world. The logo's meaning was later amended to represent the three materials used to produce steel: yellow for coal; orange for iron ore; and blue for steel scrap

The Steelers liked the idea presented by Republic Steel, despite the fact that the company was located in the city of their bitterest rival, the Cleveland Browns, and proudly sported the new logo on their helmets for the 1962 season. After qualifying that year for their first-ever postseason game, they changed the color of their helmets from gold to solid black, which also served to highlight the new logo they felt had brought them good luck.

The new Steelmark logo was originally only applied to one side of the helmet (the right side) by equipment manager Jack Hart because the Steelers were uncertain how it would look on their solid gold helmets. Even when they later switched their helmet color to solid black, they decided to permanently retain the logo on just the one side due to the team's new success and the interest generated by the logo's uniqueness. The Steelers are now the only team in the NFL to sport its logo on only one side of the helmet.

And they are the only team in the NFL NOT to have those cheesy cheerleaders!

Nothing wrong with a little "Cheese"!

Indeed, I live in Dallas now (actually safely north of Dallas) and am a great admirer of pulchritude. Dallas started the "professional cheerleader" craze. Maybe they needed to because you can always buy a "scalped" ticket at game-time at Texas Stadium for face value (or less). Try that outside Heinz Field where it takes five bills to have a whisper of a hope. I'm proud that the Rooneys have far too much class and respect for the game to have allowed such crass ancillary promotion "gimmicks".

There is no need to "promote" the Steelers in Pittsburgh.

mamaduck43
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 188
RE: Pittsburgh Memories of the 2,000,000 who moved 2008/10/13 19:12:35 (permalink)
Oh, my - - the more I read, the more the brain cells start working... I had a good friend who lived in New Wilmington, and relatives who graduated from Wesminister College.... My friends dad used to hate getting behind an Amish buggy on the two lane roads around NW....

Friends of my folks lived in Indiana, PA - - the Christmas tree Capital of the state - - miles and miles of trees.... There was a hobbyist there who had built a 'tiny town' - - that he opened to the public during the holidays... It rivaled Buhl Planetariums train layout.... And an interesting side note - - Jimmy Stewart traveled to South East Asia while my then hubby was stationed there... He needed a pair of size 13 combat boots so that he could go on a flight and he borrowed hubby's.... I though about getting them bronzed, but that seemed to be a bit much....

When I was a kid, we used to travel through Stowe Twp. on Thursday and Friday evenings.... We always stopped at Mancini Bakery to get fresh hot bread.... It was heavenly..... And we often brought a couple of big pots with us so that we could stop at one of the churches in McKees Rocks to pick up pierogies to take home...

Fish sandwiches at Wholeys were a standard Friday meal.... And remember when the churches had Friday fish fries and Strawberry festivals... Good eats for sure...

One of my first jobs was at a WT Grant store - - I loved the hotdogs in the split top buns... I guess you can still find the buns in New England, but they were so good toasted on the griddle while the customer waited patiently.... I used to have the job of roasting the raw nuts and tried to control the supply so that I could add that great aroma to the store on crowded Saturdays - - and fresh popped corn added to that....

I am sure that I will have more to add to this as the days go by....

Goooooo, Steelers!!!!!!
Foodbme
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10072
RE: Pittsburgh Memories of the 2,000,000 who moved 2008/10/13 20:48:40 (permalink)
In times like these----Isn't it a wonderful thing to have an outlet like this that allows us to think and post comments that bring a smile to our faces and a nice feeling to our hearts. Thanx Metrojim! The sad thing is our kids and grandkids will probably not enjoy the same joy. BE SURE TO TELL YOUR GRANDKIDS ABOUT THE BEST TIME TO BE ALIVE IN AMERICA!
Niagara
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 983
RE: Pittsburgh Memories of the 2,000,000 who moved 2008/10/13 20:59:22 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Oneiron339

How about these? Watching and meeting the Vogues at the Red Rooster(?) back in the 60's. Also "Duke" in the 7 oz. 48 in a case beer. The little Rolling Rocks were almost as good but they had to be ice cold. And the Dirty O. And what about the old AHL team who played in the old arena?

AAAh, yes - Duke - the Prince of Pilsners. 3 quarts for $1.00 when was a senior in high school in '70. I think that the other cheap beer we got, Stegmeier, was from the Pittsburgh area too, wasn't it?
Mosca
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2973
RE: Pittsburgh Memories of the 2,000,000 who moved 2008/10/13 21:33:56 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by badseed555

Ahh the Electric Banana and Pirmanti's at 1:45 AM, Robert Fripp and the League of Gentlemen at the Decade

Hey, I was at that show, it was AWESOME! I remember the encore; Steve Winwood's "Walking in the Wind". It started as chaos, eventually defined the theme, spun out into the ether, and then descended into the theme, and ended as chaos! the encore alone was what, maybe a half an hour?

quote:
Ribs at the House of Sauce

Was that the place over by Bob McCall's soul food restaurant, in between Oakland and Bloomfield; no seating, takeout only? those were good ribs! And the shoofly pie was great, too!

quote:
Gyros at Mike and Tonys

Gyros at The Souvlaki House, felafel at Khalil's...

How about The Rib Joint, down the Mon in West Elizabeth... with hot, atomic, and the mother of all sauces, BATMAN!

Capybara91
Cheeseburger
RE: Pittsburgh Memories of the 2,000,000 who moved 2008/10/13 22:27:56 (permalink)
circa 1971 I thought the Monroeville Mall was the Taj Mahal or something. Made Youngstown's mall look pathetic. I checked out all the girls ice skating and imagined the possibilities.

Did Monroeville have a Schrafts?
tkitna
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 622
RE: Pittsburgh Memories of the 2,000,000 who moved 2008/10/14 05:18:49 (permalink)
Well, I still live around that area and you guys can have it. I'm looking forward to moving and the wife has finally agreed.
Oneiron339
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2075
RE: Pittsburgh Memories of the 2,000,000 who moved 2008/10/14 07:19:02 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Niagara

quote:

How about these? Watching and meeting the Vogues at the Red Rooster(?) back in the 60's. Also "Duke" in the 7 oz. 48 in a case beer. The little Rolling Rocks were almost as good but they had to be ice cold. And the Dirty O. And what about the old AHL team who played in the old arena?

AAAh, yes - Duke - the Prince of Pilsners. 3 quarts for $1.00 when was a senior in high school in '70. I think that the other cheap beer we got, Stegmeier, was from the Pittsburgh area too, wasn't it?

Seems to me Stegmaier was from around Pottstown, but it's been awhile so I'm not sure.
MetroplexJim
Filet Mignon
RE: Pittsburgh Memories of the 2,000,000 who moved 2008/10/14 08:00:33 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by tkitna

Well, I still live around that area and you guys can have it. I'm looking forward to moving and the wife has finally agreed.

Can't blame you. The Youngstown-Steubenville-Wheeling corridor has been terribly depressed for years. Near New Wilmington, where my mother still lives, the cities of New Castle and Sharon have lost all of their industry and over two thirds of their population since we moved there in 1962. The business base of the area is now health care for those who remain, assisted-living, nursing homes, and funeral parlors.

Don't forget that this topic is "Pittsburgh Memories of the 2,000,000 who moved". When you make us 2,000,002 you will also have fond memories. Trust me on that.

And I realize that my old home is still a great place to visit: a wide variety of excellent food, e.g., The Villanova Inn and the original Quaker Steak & Lube, and 20+ public golf courses, some of which charge $16. for 18 with cart and others designed by Donald Ross and A.W. Tillinghast where a round is $25, with cart. Throw in the Amish Community and the antique and crafts shopping (Volant, PA -"the place where Christmas exploded") and one has a helluva vacation "on the cheap".

Check these accomodations: http://www.buhlmansion.com/

And Mr. Kitna, you will always have Oglebay Park: http://www.oglebay-resort.com/
apteafan
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 11
RE: Pittsburgh Memories of the 2,000,000 who moved 2008/10/14 08:17:43 (permalink)
yes Isaly's Chipped Ham is still made and available at local deli counters.

A trip to the burgh over the Columbus Day weekend rekindles my memories of great local foods like Klondike bars, Mancini's bread and of course, Pierogi's Plus, in McKees Rocks.

Only the Jenny Lee Bakery has bit the dust in recent months.
Mosca
Filet Mignon
RE: Pittsburgh Memories of the 2,000,000 who moved 2008/10/14 08:42:54 (permalink)
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Niagara

quote:

Seems to me Stegmaier was from around Pottstown, but it's been awhile so I'm not sure.

Stegmaier has always been brewed right here in Wilkes-Barre!

The other cheap local beer was Stoney's, IIRC.
MetroplexJim
Filet Mignon
RE: Pittsburgh Memories of the 2,000,000 who moved 2008/10/14 19:03:13 (permalink)
I'm surprised that Porky Chedwick ("the Daddio of the Radioo") hasn't been mentioned yet.

Because of him I bought my first FM radio in 1964 - a table model RCA encased in Pecan wood and with 'new fangled' transistors instead of tubes. It was quite the investment then: $80 at a time when I was making $1.25/hr. after school and a new Pontiac GTO cost $2,600. The last time I remember, it was still working in the laundry room of our McLean, VA home in 2005. Evidently, my wife tossed it to lighten our move to Dallas. Oh, well; life goes on.

Happily, it goes on for the "Pork Man" as well: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Porky_Chedwick
Mosca
Filet Mignon
RE: Pittsburgh Memories of the 2,000,000 who moved 2008/10/14 19:26:22 (permalink)
Porky Chedwick was the attendant at the South Park indoor tennis courts, the inflatable ones.
MetroplexJim
Filet Mignon
RE: Pittsburgh Memories of the 2,000,000 who moved 2008/10/14 20:09:39 (permalink)
quote:

Watching the incomparable Roberto Clemente at Three Rivers.

When asked who was the best they ever played against, Mays and Aaron both answered "Clemente".

To remind myself of excellence and decency I keep two pictures on the wall behind the display on which I write: one is an 8x10" signed to me by "Bob Clemente" at Forbes Field in 1959 and the other is a half-lifesize photo of him standing safely on second after his 3,000th and, tragically, final hit. His expression and the fact that he actually took his hat off to acknowledge the ovation still makes the hair on my arms stand up when I reflect on the totality of his career.

I've "seen them all" in the past 50 years and the only one who even approached his level of play was Sandy Koufax.

Enjoy these sound files of "the Gunner" describing "The Great One's" play:

http://home.comcast.net/~edinmb/prince.html
Capybara91
Cheeseburger
RE: Pittsburgh Memories of the 2,000,000 who moved 2008/10/14 23:27:43 (permalink)
quote:

quote:

Watching the incomparable Roberto Clemente at Three Rivers.

When asked who was the best they ever played against, Mays and Aaron both answered "Clemente".

To remind myself of excellence and decency I keep two pictures on the wall behind the display on which I write: one is an 8x10" signed to me by "Bob Clemente" at Forbes Field in 1959 and the other is a half-lifesize photo of him standing safely on second after his 3,000th and, tragically, final hit. His expression and the fact that he actually took his hat off to acknowledge the ovation still makes the hair on my arms stand up when I reflect on the totality of his career.

I've "seen them all" in the past 50 years and the only one who even approached his level of play was Sandy Koufax.

Enjoy these sound files of "the Gunner" describing "The Great One's" play:

http://home.comcast.net/~edinmb/prince.html

He could do it all. Hit, catch, run, steal, and lead a team. And he had modesty to boot. I feel lucky to have been alive to watch him play. Having said that, it sure was fun to watch Manny Sanguillen, Davey Cash, Jose Pagan, Dock Ellis, Kent Tekulve.
Capybara91
Cheeseburger
RE: Pittsburgh Memories of the 2,000,000 who moved 2008/10/15 04:12:58 (permalink)
Remember Paul Shannon's "Adventure Time" on Channel 4?
tkitna
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 622
RE: Pittsburgh Memories of the 2,000,000 who moved 2008/10/15 04:19:54 (permalink)
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by tkitna

Can't blame you. The Youngstown-Steubenville-Wheeling corridor has been terribly depressed for years. Near New Wilmington, where my mother still lives, the cities of New Castle and Sharon have lost all of their industry and over two thirds of their population since we moved there in 1962. The business base of the area is now health care for those who remain, assisted-living, nursing homes, and funeral parlors.

Don't forget that this topic is "Pittsburgh Memories of the 2,000,000 who moved". When you make us 2,000,002 you will also have fond memories. Trust me on that.

And I realize that my old home is still a great place to visit: a wide variety of excellent food, e.g., The Villanova Inn and the original Quaker Steak & Lube, and 20+ public golf courses, some of which charge $16. for 18 with cart and others designed by Donald Ross and A.W. Tillinghast where a round is $25, with cart. Throw in the Amish Community and the antique and crafts shopping (Volant, PA -"the place where Christmas exploded") and one has a helluva vacation "on the cheap".

Check these accomodations: http://www.buhlmansion.com/

And Mr. Kitna, you will always have Oglebay Park: http://www.oglebay-resort.com/

I know. Sorry about my negativity its just I work in Robinson Township and we're losing all our jobs to the people in India and Mexico. I'm just bitter.

I live about 15 minutes away from Oglebay, but my family and I never seem to do anything there. Nice scenery, but unless you golf or ski, your kind of left out.
Mosca
Filet Mignon
RE: Pittsburgh Memories of the 2,000,000 who moved 2008/10/15 08:36:08 (permalink)
quote:

With Joe Negri, and Nosmo King....
mmarkovitz
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 80
RE: Pittsburgh Memories of the 2,000,000 who moved 2008/10/15 09:15:45 (permalink)
Now the old memories are pouring back. I don't think I would have ever remembered "Adventure Time". But I watched it all the time. What was the name of the show on Sat. mornings that always had Tarzan movies? I remember being at the airport with my Dad and He said come with me and we walked up to Roberto And my Dad had me shake his hand. Boy was he big, but then I was only about 10 at the time.
Foodbme
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10072
RE: Pittsburgh Memories of the 2,000,000 who moved 2008/10/15 11:12:21 (permalink)
In the '60s & '70s There was a restaurant up on Mt Washington called Tambellini's. Overall, It was the best restaurant I've ever enjoyed - food, ambiance, service, etc and I've eaten in some fine restaurants around the world. Is it still there? This place is not to be confused with the Tambellini's downtown.
MetroplexJim
Filet Mignon
RE: Pittsburgh Memories of the 2,000,000 who moved 2008/10/15 18:30:27 (permalink)
You have to see buffetbuster's great pics of a classic Western PA Roadhouse of page 2 of this: http://roadfood.com/Forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=30783

Thanks, buffetbuster!!!
MetroplexJim
Filet Mignon
RE: Pittsburgh Memories of the 2,000,000 who moved 2008/10/15 18:38:51 (permalink)
quote:

And Studio Wrestling with Bill Cardill!
MetroplexJim
Filet Mignon
RE: Pittsburgh Memories of the 2,000,000 who moved 2008/10/15 18:45:34 (permalink)
quote:

quote:

And Bowling for Dollars with Nick Perry of "Triple Six Fix" infamy!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1980_Pennsylvania_Lottery_scandal
Mosca
Filet Mignon
RE: Pittsburgh Memories of the 2,000,000 who moved 2008/10/15 20:43:59 (permalink)
quote:

quote:

I have a personalized autographed picture of Bruno Sammartino on the wall in my home office....

How about Chiller Theatre with Chilly Billy Cardilly! It was always the same 4 or 5 flicks, it seemed; I must have seen The Crawling Eye 50 times, plus Invasion of the Saucer Men (teenagers vs aliens with alcohol in their fingers), The Bell from Hell, Attack of the 50 Foot Woman....
Capybara91
Cheeseburger
RE: Pittsburgh Memories of the 2,000,000 who moved 2008/10/15 22:48:53 (permalink)
The best part of living in Youngstown was being midway between Cleveland and Pittsburgh. On a good day, when all the tubes were functioning, if we turned our antenna in just the right direction, we could pick up Pittsburgh and Cleveland channels. Cleveland had Captain Penny and Barnaby, who were almost as cool as Cpt Kangaroo.

I would also be remiss if I didn't mention Fred Rogers, originally of WQED. What a great human being. I confess to watching him as an adult. He always made me feel calm inside.

And how about Donnie Iris and the Jaggerz? Rap,rap,rap,rap,rap, they call him the rapper.
mamaduck43
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 188
RE: Pittsburgh Memories of the 2,000,000 who moved 2008/10/16 00:05:12 (permalink)
Oh, wow - - - when Bruno Sammartino was a kid, he used to work out at the YMWHA on Bellefield Street in Oakland... I was on swim team, and he used to peek into the pool from the lockerroom and all of us girls would get all giggly!!!! He sure didn't have a 'swimmers' body, but he was fine to look at.....

Nick Perry used to have some sort of traveling around Allegheny County interview show, and one spring he was looking for things to do in North Park... My dad set him up with an interview with my two best friends and I - - we were rollerskating in the swimming pool parking lot.... My first 15 minutes of fame.... Who knew where he would end up????

I managed to get to Channel 11 studios a few times to watch Bill Cardille's Wrestling... But I also remember when it was broadcast from some arena in the North Side - - across the park from Allegheny General Hospital... Those were the days of Gorgeous George and a few more who's names escape me now...

I remember trips to the Zoo, and to the Aviary - - I know that they had to isolate the Mynah birds from the public, because the kids who went to the HS across the street delighted in teaching the Mynahs cuss words on their lunch hours.....

I wish I could find a bakery that makes kielbasa bread... There was one on Perry Highway who made fantastic rolls on Saturdays - - a crusty roll with wedges of kielbasa inside and seeds and salt on top... Yummy....
MetroplexJim
Filet Mignon
RE: Pittsburgh Memories of the 2,000,000 who moved 2008/10/16 08:31:38 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by mamaduck43

I managed to get to Channel 11 studios a few times to watch Bill Cardille's Wrestling... But I also remember when it was broadcast from some arena in the North Side - - across the park from Allegheny General Hospital... Those were the days of Gorgeous George and a few more who's names escape me now...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reginald_Lisowski
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Killer_Kowalski
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haystacks_Calhoun
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bobo_Brazil
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buddy_Rogers_(wrestler)

And Bruno is still alive and body-slamming!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bruno_Sammartino
Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 2 of 9
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1