Pot Roast

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
pnwchef
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2397
2013/06/26 19:39:01 (permalink)

Pot Roast

After being gone for two weeks, nothing says home more than a good Pot Roast.

Arm Roast

Brownded in Olive oil

After cooking for 3 1/2 hrs at 265

Melt in your mouth good with mashed potatoes and gravy, hot vegetable and crusty bread.

37 Replies Related Threads

mar52
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7897
    Re:Pot Roast 2013/06/26 19:55:53 (permalink)
    That's something I've never liked.

But I'd like to try yours it looks so good.
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18445
    Re:Pot Roast 2013/06/26 20:16:05 (permalink)
    Looks mighty good. Arm roast, eh? I always use rump roast. I don't even know why. I guess because I've always used it.
    lleechef
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6815
    Re:Pot Roast 2013/06/26 20:31:12 (permalink)
    pnwchef
    Now you've gone and done it.  Very soon MH will want me to make pot roast, mashed potatoes, gravy and veg.  It's in the 90s here.....too hot for me for pot roast.  Yours looks delicious.  Eating out is fun but cooking at home is often more comfy and "better".
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    Re:Pot Roast 2013/06/26 20:49:04 (permalink)
    Hey, I can make my own pot roast, mashed potatoes and gravy. I've been making it for mmphh years.
    FriedClamFanatic
    • Total Posts : 1670
    Re:Pot Roast 2013/06/26 21:49:20 (permalink)
    lleechef

pnwchef
    Now you've gone and done it.  Very soon MH will want me to make pot roast, mashed potatoes, gravy and veg.  It's in the 90s here.....too hot for me for pot roast.  Yours looks delicious.  Eating out is fun but cooking at home is often more comfy and "better".

That is when I have found the true beauty of a Pressure cooker! Saves time and cuts the heat factor in the kitchen by about 300%
    Twinwillow
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5071
    Re:Pot Roast 2013/06/26 22:03:00 (permalink)
    Your arm roast looks delicious and very tender. Great job!
    I make a great pot roast too but, I've never heard of an arm roast. I usually buy a chuck roast. Or when I can get it, a 7 bone roast. Available at only one butcher shop in Dallas (Rudolphs). 
    Where is an arm roast located on the animal? The shoulder? And, how does it compare to a chuck roast? I like the fact that your arm roast seems to include a marrow bone. Am I correct?
    I also like the way you cook yours. Very similar to my own cooking method.
    Brown well and then braise, "low & slow". 
    post edited by Twinwillow - 2013/06/26 22:06:13
    pnwchef
    Re:Pot Roast 2013/06/26 22:11:53 (permalink)
    Lisa, I made it today because it was 70 degrees and rain. Tomorrow starts a heat wave with temps by the weekend of 103 plus degrees. 

Michael, I had a 1500 lb Steer butchered, Please sit back and listen.

This is a Cow.

Primal Chuck
    Beef Chuck Blade Roast
    This large roast contains many small muscles and is easily identified by the blade bone located in the upper center of this cut. Note also that rib bones and a portion of the backbone are located along the lower left portion of the cut. However, these bones may be removed from this large roast before it is packaged and put in the meat counter at the local supermarket.
    Cooking Recommendations

Beef Chuck Blade Steak
    The Beef Chuck Blade Steak is similar to the beef chuck blade roast. It is usually cut less than one inch thick. The blade bone shown in this slide has the typical shape of the "sevenbone", a term frequently used in the meat trade.
    [Flat iron: Also called Boneless Top Blade, it's cut from the chuck and sold as steaks. It's remarkably tender and full-flavored. This shoulder top blade steak is cut in a way that eliminates the connective tissue that runs through the center. Each half resembles a flank steak in shape. These pieces are cut crosswise into individual steaks. 

Click Here to see Large Photo
    of the Flat Iron Steak.
    ]
    Cooking Recommendations

Beef Chuck Arm Roast
    The Beef Chuck Arm Roast is identified by its thickness as a roast, the large round bone in the center of the cut and the many small muscles of which it is made. This roast may or may not have a cross cut rib bones showing but if present would be at the bottom of the picture.
    Cooking Recommendations
    Braise, Grill, Panbroil, Panfry, or Broil

My work is done here.............
    Twinwillow
    Sirloin
    Re:Pot Roast 2013/06/26 22:15:15 (permalink)
    Thank you. The class appreciates your efforts!
    pnwchef
    Re:Pot Roast 2013/06/26 22:19:29 (permalink)
    Twinwillow

Sorry twin, I posted that before I saw your post
    Twinwillow
    Sirloin
    Re:Pot Roast 2013/06/26 22:26:15 (permalink)
    pnwchef

Twinwillow

Sorry twin, I posted that before I saw your post

Not to worry. Your post explains a lot to me.
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    Re:Pot Roast 2013/06/26 22:47:55 (permalink)
    Bill, I grew up in the meat business. My father had a slaughter  house in Torrington and later a meat packing company in New Haven. I grew up working in both places.
    lleechef
    Sirloin
    Re:Pot Roast 2013/06/26 22:59:56 (permalink)
    I can honestly say that I never heard of a Beef Chuck Arm Roast.  Sounds like a good cut to make pot roast but I've never seen it on the east coast, west coast or the Midwest.  Can you buy it in a grocery store?
    pnwchef
    Re:Pot Roast 2013/06/27 09:08:51 (permalink)
    Hi Lisa, this is a good chart that shows all the cuts from the Chuck. I think what happens in most areas is, people get stuck using the same cut of meat for braising a pot roast. When I get my cows processed I get all these cut, I use them in different ways, but more of them get braised. You know what happens in a butcher shop or grocery store, if it doesn't sell, it comes out of the meat counter. Michael, said he uses a Rump roast, thats because that was what was available to him, that was his orientation, that is his comfort zone. I love using the Arm Roast, 7 blade Roast or any of these for Braising. The meat is soft, silky, tender and melts in your mouth. I do most of the braising like I do my beef short ribs, Red wine, Mirepoix, garlic, tomato paste, beef stock, herbs/S&P, Woo sauce. Last time we talked about this you suggested mushrooms. The way I would enter mushrooms into this dish and also to enhance the presentation, I would sautee the mushroom and put on the meat they top with a stream of gravy. I like the mushrooms to hold their own in the dish, The presentation would have been much better in the picture I showed if it had mushrooms..............This maybe a good topic to keep going, I think a lot of people don't try different cuts of meat in fear of venturing into an a area that isn't in their comfort zone. Let me know your thoughts.....................take care...........Bill

lleechef
    Sirloin
    Re:Pot Roast 2013/06/27 11:27:46 (permalink)
    That is an interesting chart and one I'd not seen before.  You are lucky that you process your own cows and therefore have all the various cuts.  Unfortunately, most of them are not to be found in grocery stores or meat markets because folks wouldn't know what to do with them.  Too bad.  I probably saw some of these in France, but they cut their beef differently and have names for these cuts that are untranslatable.  I usually pick up what is labeled "English Cut Pot Roast".  It's not bad but it's certainly not soft, silky and melt in your mouth good like how you described your arm roast. 
    I cook mine exactly the same way.....mirepoix, red wine, etc.  Unfortunately no mushrooms because MH is allergic.  But when I did use them I did exactly as you said, sautéed them at the last minute then added them into the gravy. 
    We have a fairly good meat market, they have some of the "less noble" cuts, I'll call them and check on the Arm Pot Roast.
    It's cool and rainy here today......if I can't find the roast I think I'll do short ribs......MH loves them and believe it or not had never eaten them before meeting me! 
    Twinwillow
    Sirloin
    Re:Pot Roast 2013/06/27 12:22:43 (permalink)
    IIeechef, Costco does a beautiful package of boneless short ribs in their meat case. I also braise mine as described above and they turn out great!

There's about 8-10 long, thick strips in a package. Although they're "choice", they're heavily marbled as if  they were "prime".

Much more economical than the short ribs with the bone. And, just as good!
    pnwchef
    Re:Pot Roast 2013/06/27 12:30:15 (permalink)
    This chart is from the Round section. In catering and restaurants we used Top Round for Carving. You can roast the Top Round and slice thin for a great tasting Roast beef. You can take the other cuts and Braise for pot Roasts. This would be the method in Food service, I could have a tender large girth piece of meat that I could slice and serve with a gravy.
      The difference with using the Chuck cuts is, it's more for home use, the Braising method is the same, But, how you eat the meat is different. it is more in chunks that you don't really slice, like you do with the Round section. I like the Chuck cuts because they have bone, and fat that help flavor the braising/pot roast process juices. Fat and bone are flavor, the Round is more lean, larger cuts of meat. If your looking for real flavor, check out the Chuck............

post edited by pnwchef - 2013/06/27 13:18:56
    lleechef
    Sirloin
    Re:Pot Roast 2013/06/27 12:38:06 (permalink)
    Twinwillow
    I have seen those at Costco.  Problem is, Costco is about 30 mins. away and the grocery store about 3 mins.  Plus, I prefer meat "on the bone".......beef, chicken, pork, lamb, veal........I am probably crazy but it tastes better to me.
    pnwchef
    Just called the meat market, no beef chuck arm roast. 
    Twinwillow
    Sirloin
    Re:Pot Roast 2013/06/27 12:40:16 (permalink)
    Thanks for the beef cut charts. I realize this is getting to be a little off topic but here's a few more I found interesting....
    One for beef and one for pork and lamb, etc.
    http://www.angus.org/pub/beefchart.pdf
    http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/meatcharts.html
    Twinwillow
    Sirloin
    Re:Pot Roast 2013/06/27 12:46:00 (permalink)
    lleechef

Twinwillow
    I have seen those at Costco.  Problem is, Costco is about 30 mins. away and the grocery store about 3 mins.  Plus, I prefer meat "on the bone".......beef, chicken, pork, lamb, veal........I am probably crazy but it tastes better to me.
    pnwchef
    Just called the meat market, no beef chuck arm roast. 

Regarding "meat on the bone", I totally agree with you. But, If I need an inexpensive beef dinner for 6-8 people, I'll buy those packages of boneless short ribs from Costco. They're 23 miles round trip for me but I always take a cooler with ice packs during the hotter months.
    pnwchef
    Re:Pot Roast 2013/06/27 13:01:11 (permalink)
    Twin, another use for boneless short ribs....

Twinwillow
    Sirloin
    Re:Pot Roast 2013/06/27 13:21:53 (permalink)
    Those are the fattest short ribs I've ever seen. I swear they almost look like brats or dogs. Great Idea! But seriously, would boneless short ribs still be "fall apart tender" after grilling?
    pnwchef
    Re:Pot Roast 2013/06/27 14:44:02 (permalink)
    Twinwillow

Those are the fattest short ribs I've ever seen. I swear they almost look like brats or dogs. Great Idea! But seriously, would boneless short ribs still be "fall apart tender" after grilling?

The boneless short ribs s/b a low and slow also, I braise these like the pot roast. The beef sausage was full of flavor, they grilled up nice...............Bill
    rumaki
    • Total Posts : 1050
    Re:Pot Roast 2013/06/27 15:03:55 (permalink)
    I envy you for being able to get an arm bone pot roast.  That's what my mother always prepared when I was growing up in Indianapolis.  I was able to get that cut in Northern Virginia (Alexandria), too, and up until a few years ago, in Minneapolis, where I now live.  But the butchers at the grocery store I frequent (Lunds) say they can no longer get the beef cut that way; what they sell is all boneless.  I have had some luck getting the arm bone cut from the home-farm butchers who  come to our Saturday farmers' markets.
    hatteras04
    • Total Posts : 1092
    Re:Pot Roast 2013/06/27 16:19:47 (permalink)
    lleechef

We have a fairly good meat market, they have some of the "less noble" cuts, I'll call them and check on the Arm Pot Roast.

Which one did you try?  For around here, I have had some luck with Carfagna's or Weiland's having some different cuts from time to time.  I always mean to go to Riffe's in Grandview more often but it is not on my way home.  But I know they have a good reputation as a butcher.  I've heard some good things about Mosley's Meat Market but it is all the way out on Hilliard.
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    Re:Pot Roast 2013/06/27 17:40:25 (permalink)
    hatteras04

lleechef

Which one did you try?  For around here, I have had some luck with Carfagna's or Weiland's having some different cuts from time to time.  I always mean to go to Riffe's in Grandview more often but it is not on my way home.  But I know they have a good reputation as a butcher.  I've heard some good things about Mosley's Meat Market but it is all the way out on Hilliard.

She called Carfagna's. The trouble is, most places, including Carfagna's, buy cryovaced cuts, not whole sides, so their cuts are limited. As to Riffe's, I get there occasionally when I want lamb. They usually have some good stuff. Also for lamb I like Bluescreek Farm at the North Market.
    BelleReve
    • Total Posts : 1163
    Re:Pot Roast 2013/06/27 19:33:58 (permalink)
    The roast looks wonderful, it would have to be a really cold day in February for me to make a pot roast - I'd love it with the gravy and carrots, but served over egg noodles and with petite pois peas.
    pnwchef
    Re:Pot Roast 2013/06/27 21:01:36 (permalink)
    I agree

Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    Re:Pot Roast 2013/06/27 21:05:52 (permalink)
    Arghhh!!!!!!! Thar be mushrooms in that stuff. Don't you know that mushrooms make you sick?
    Twinwillow
    Sirloin
    Re:Pot Roast 2013/06/27 21:11:42 (permalink)
    I love mushrooms!
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1