Roadhouse Bar-B-Que Sauce Summer Tour, 2008

Page: << < ..678910.. > >> Showing page 10 of 14
Author
BuddyRoadhouse
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4207
RE: Roadhouse Bar-B-Que Sauce Summer Tour, 2008 2008/07/21 00:38:31 (permalink)
It was a lonely night for ol' Buddy tonight. X1 came up ill over something after last night's dinner at The Hideaway and couldn't make it. I'm not saying it was caused by something she got at the restaurant, because none of the Roadhouses got sick, although ChuckL wasn't feeling all that great either, apparently. He did feel well enough to come visit me at Sendik's this afternoon, but had previous commitments that prevented him from joining me tonight. Best wishes to both for a speedy 100 % recovery!

Oh well, I can't complain. We've been kept good company by the Wisconsin Roadfooders all summer long and one night on my own wasn't going to kill me. Heading out from the store, I thought about checking out The Buckhorn Inn at the corner of 27th & Ryan Road. It looks like a classic Roadhouse operation making it near irresistible to me. At the last minute I got a taste for a Sobelburger at Sobelman's so I pointed the Corolla northeastward and headed into town.

I had a feeling Sobelman's might be closed on Sunday and I was right. Shoulda called ahead. Moron. Then I thought about getting some Mexican food at one of the places over at 5th & National. I got there and before I parked, got one last notion to swing on by Casablanca down on Mitchell for some Middle Eastern food. Out of business. Mexican it is. Back to 5th & National and an old standby, La Perla.

I know not everyone is crazy about La Perla, but I have yet to have a bad meal there, although the salsa they served with the chips tonight seemed a bit bland. In the past they have served up some of the best garlic shrimp tacos I have ever eaten. My other favorite is the enchiladas verde stuffed with shredded pork, which was my pick tonight.

The salsa verde was top notch with a delightful tang. The pork was tender, succulent, and stuffed in abundance into three enchiladas; more than enough to insure that Mrs. Roadhouse would get some leftovers upon my return home.

Just as an aside, Dad and I used to go to Casablanca regularly a few years back. It was a very authentic place both in terms of the food served, and the decor. The last time we visited, there was an older gentleman standing in the lobby, wearing a long robe, a turban, and sporting a long white beard. He was surrounded by some younger men, all seated on benches, some similarly dressed, others in more "western" clothing. The older guy was addressing them in such a manner as to lead my stupid self to think he was the owner or manager or head waiter (like I said, this place was authentic).

I approached him and asked him politely for a table for two. He gave me a look as if I were crazy, turned his back and found someone to help us. After we were seated, we found out that the older guy was an imam from a local madrasah, down the street! He and the younger men, his students, were waiting for a table when I accosted him. What I had done was kind of like mistaking a Catholic priest for a maitre d'!

Naturally I felt horrible, but didn't have the nerve to go over and apologize for the error. After that, we never went back to Casablanca. And now it's gone. I'll probably never see the imam again to aplogize. So now I've got that guilt weighing on me for the rest of my life. Wonderful.

Anyway, it was a good weekend. I'm off to Toledo and Detroit next week. Maybe a stop at Slows Bar BQ in Detroit, maybe a coney or two. Maybe I'll hit Tony Packo's in Toledo. On the other hand, I hear they've got some great Middle Eastern restaurants in Toledo...

Wish me luck!

Buddy

P.S. As previously noted, our last stop in Milwaukee this season is on Friday, August 29th. I'm thinking that might be a good night to do Three Brothers as kind of a sentimental wrap up for the summer. What's everyone's availability?

B.

La Perla
NE Corner of 5th & National
Milwaukee, WI
(414) 645-9888
BuddyRoadhouse
Filet Mignon
RE: Roadhouse Bar-B-Que Sauce Summer Tour, 2008 2008/07/21 14:28:37 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by stricken_detective

...brats & kraut pizza??!?!? That might get my mother& stepdad out of Waukesha County!
To be honest, that Wisconsin pizza worked better in conception than in execution. Don't get me wrong; we ate it happily and took home the rest; nothing was sent back to the kitchen. But it just doesn't come close to the amazing garlic steak and chicken pesto pizzas we've all had there in the past.

It may have been the use of a yellow cheese instead of a white. Also, I think think the Dijon cream sauce could have had a more intense flavor so it could stand up to the kraut, grilled onions and other strong flavors on the pizza. Finally, the bratwurst, which was sliced into small coin-like discs, was cut so thin that it got too charred as it cooked on top of the pizza. None of this was unpalatable, but it wasn't a stand out either.

Still working on a wrap up of my Cleveland trip. I know you'll be able to read about our night at Sokolowski's when ChiTownDiner enters it into his thread, "The Ohio College Loop - from Chicago" in the Trip Report Forum:
http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=28847

Buddy
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10178
RE: Roadhouse Bar-B-Que Sauce Summer Tour, 2008 2008/07/21 15:07:09 (permalink)
Buddy-
Didn't want you to think I forgot about the excellent dinner we had together, along with the ChiTownDiner crew at Sokolowski's. I misplaced the cable from my camera to my laptop, but it has reappeared. I hope to write about it later tonight.
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10178
RE: Roadhouse Bar-B-Que Sauce Summer Tour, 2008 2008/07/22 20:17:51 (permalink)
Looking through the photos I took at Sokolowski's University Inn in Cleveland, I am shocked I took so few. I don't know where my mind was that night, but it obviously wasn't on my Roadfood photographic duties. Obviously, I was enjoying the company too much.

When my girlfriend Mariton and I arrived at Sokolowski's, we took a walk across the street to enjoy the view across the river, back towards the city. As we were reaching the door of tthe restaurant, Buddy was there to greet us. We enjoyed chatting with him for a few minutes when the Chicago gang showed up. Besides my old friend ChiTownDiner, I had previously met his very nice brother Kerry in Austin for the Roadfood bus tour. CTD's son Michael and Kerry's son Kevin rounded out the group.

It has already been too long for me to remember what everyone ate. So, I will just concentrate on our own food. On the way to Cleveland, I asked Mariton if she had been to a Polish restaurant before and she hadn't. Growing up in the Philippines, she most likely didn't get many opportunities. As she started through the cafeteria line, she pointed to the stuffed cabbage right away as what she wanted. When I asked her later why the stuffed cabbage, she reminded me her step-father is Russian and an excellent cook, so it is no surprise she would know this dish.

I had this dish on my previous visit and she made a fine choice. Between the two of us (and passing it around to be shared), it was gone in no time.

I got the fish, which I believe was baked scrod.

I am not a fish eater by nature, but this is excellent! One of the sides is what I call haluski, which I believe they just called buttered noodles or something like that. I had them on my previous visit and it was the one dish I did not like. I glad I tried them again, because they were much better this time.

But the best dish for me here is the fantastic pierogies.

Big, tender, ultra-buttery and full of old world flavor, these are as good a plate of pierogies as I have had anywhere. Considering I am from Pittsburgh and grew up with an Eastern European grandmother, I don't say that lightly. This is my one "must-eat" dish here.

Lots of food got passed around that night as everyone was generous in sharing their dinners. Unfortunately, the only photo I took was of someone's sausage plate. Was it Kerry's?

Can you believe I didn't even photograph my own chocolate cream pie for dessert?

The amount of food we ate was staggering. CTD and his brother needed an entire table by themselves to hold all of their dishes. Even though the restaurant itself had closed (but the bar portion was still open), the owners told us to relax and take our time and even joined us for a while. I'm sure this had lots to do with BuddyRoadhouse making friends everywhere he goes. Lots of stories, lots of laughs and even a fireworks display, thanks to the Indians.

I ended up meeting Buddy all three times he came to NE Ohio this summer. Even though they were long drives, I thoroughly enjoyed each meeting. This was Mariton's first exposure to my Roadfood hobby (or is it a way of life?) and talked quite a bit on the way home of enjoying hearing all of us talk about our passion for food. We got home to Pittsburgh a little after 1:00AM.
stricken_detective
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2330
RE: Roadhouse Bar-B-Que Sauce Summer Tour, 2008 2008/07/23 03:28:16 (permalink)
You went to La Perla, that part we got. But did you ride the mechanical chili pepper while wearing the sombrero? Inquiring minds want to know.

Also did you know La Fuente will give you a margarita to TAKE HOME???!?!?!?! Yes!!! They leave the wrapper over the straw, so technicallyyyyy it is not an open intoxicant in the vehicle. Mmmm, peach margaritas!

The 29th works for me. Hope X1 & ChuckL are feeling better.
BuddyRoadhouse
Filet Mignon
RE: Roadhouse Bar-B-Que Sauce Summer Tour, 2008 2008/07/23 14:15:10 (permalink)
The mechanical chile pepper and my aged behind did not make contact that night. Also, as I was traveling without Dad, and doing all the driving, alcohol was not part of the equation.

Who else is good for Three Brothers on August 29th? I know it's a month away, but that place is so small and books up so fast we should have our ducks in a row well in advance of the date so we can make a reservation.

Buddy
MilwFoodlovers
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3144
RE: Roadhouse Bar-B-Que Sauce Summer Tour, 2008 2008/07/23 15:57:09 (permalink)
In a spirit of Packer/Bear/Cardinal/Brewer/Cubbies and Sox friendship, I'll go. Maybe this time I'll have a meal worthy of the prices, but if not, never again. I'll grant you that it's probably Milwaukee's most charming restaurants but the food has never rung my bell.
I agree, we need to make early reservation plans. We are talking Friday August 29th around 6:30? I suspect I'll be dining alone but I will ask Beth if she'll go.
BuddyRoadhouse
Filet Mignon
RE: Roadhouse Bar-B-Que Sauce Summer Tour, 2008 2008/07/23 16:23:56 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by MilwFoodlovers

In a spirit of Packer/Bear/Cardinal/Brewer/Cubbies and Sox friendship, I'll go. Maybe this time I'll have a meal worthy of the prices, but if not, never again. I'll grant you that it's probably Milwaukee's most charming restaurants but the food has never rung my bell.
I agree, we need to make early reservation plans. We are talking Friday August 29th around 6:30? I suspect I'll be dining alone but I will ask Beth if she'll go.
Nice use of the "strike out" font function. Message received.

I won't argue the cost effectiveness of Three Brothers. For what it is worth, there may be cheaper, even better places in Milwaukee (I'll be in town for three days next weekend, we can go wherever you like...), but compared with Chicago prices for similar entrees, they are still a bargain. And as you say, nothing beats Three Brothers for charm. Gotta put some value on that.

I'm off to Toledo and Detroit for the weekend. Here's the schedule:

Thursday, July 24th; Noon-7pm
The Anderson's; 530 Illinois Ave., Maumee, OH

Friday, July 25th; Noon-7pm
Vince & Joe's; 41790 Garfield Rd., Clinton Twp., MI

Saturday, July 26th; Noon-6pm
Market Fresh; 31201 Southfield Rd., Beverly Hills, MI

Sunday, July 27th; Noon-6pm
Vince & Joe's; 55178 Van Dyke, Shelby Twp., MI

Hope to see some Roadfooders from the Mitten State while I'm in town. Maybe head over to Slows for some 'Que!

Buddy
X1
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 942
RE: Roadhouse Bar-B-Que Sauce Summer Tour, 2008 2008/07/23 18:25:01 (permalink)
Right now, I can say I'll probably go to Three Brothers. I'm with MFL on the strike-out sentiments, however.
Let me know details about next weekend.

I'm feeling better, thanks everyone, and I just have to add that it had nothing to do with Hideaway food - summer colds suck!

I'm finally feeling almost human today!

JRPfeff
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2591
RE: Roadhouse Bar-B-Que Sauce Summer Tour, 2008 2008/07/23 20:58:41 (permalink)
quote:

Mike - That is the weekend of Harley's 105th. You better make reservations as soon as they take them.

Jim
MilwFoodlovers
Filet Mignon
RE: Roadhouse Bar-B-Que Sauce Summer Tour, 2008 2008/07/24 07:56:10 (permalink)
CSD pointed out that 500,000 bikers are expected in town that weekend. His students are forced to stay in Libertyville for lack of local rooms and most restaurants are fully booked. Plans may have to be changed and anyone thinking of dining with us that day are urged to make a firm commitment ASAP or Mickey D's may be the only thing available. SD, your aunt will love the new downtown, changes along the river, rehabbed areas near Marquette, The Historic Third Ward, and the new Public Market but it won't be that weekend. I'll be happy to call Branko to see if he has dining available but I need a headcount. Let's set August 3rd as a "&%$# or get off the pot final commitment day". I'll call Monday or Tuesday and see if a 3 Brothers burek is in our future for the 29th.
BuddyRoadhouse
Filet Mignon
RE: Roadhouse Bar-B-Que Sauce Summer Tour, 2008 2008/07/24 11:37:54 (permalink)
Friday the 29th it is, although I think 7:00pm is a more realistic arrival time for Dad and me.

As for this trip, once again I got a late start and didn't get into Toledo until after 11:00pm, local time. Just four and half hours from Chicago, but it seemed like an eternity. I'd be driving 80 miles per hour and it seemed like I would only cover 50 in the hour's duration. Maybe I had the car in reverse part of the time without realizing it.

I had a quick snack on the Indiana Toll Road, but I still wanted to get a real meal, however light. Let's face it, it was after eleven, I was in Toledo-not even Toledo; Maumee-wait, not even Maumee; Holland, Ohio and there weren't going to be many choices. There were a few of the usual fast food suspects open late, but that was the absolute drop dead last resort.

There was a place called Rudy's Hot Dogs with all its exterior lights on but it turned out to be a big tease-closed. But there, off in the distance, what's that warm inviting glow beckoning to me? Why, it's a...Waffle House! Remembering my not so bad experience at a WH outside Columbus last month, and realising that the only other non-national chain on the strip was a Tim Horton's Donut Shop, I quickly assessed the Waffle House as my best option.

"Dinner consisted of biscuits and gravy and a plate of hash browns, smothered, covered, and diced (that's cheese, onions and tomatoes added in for all you uninitiated). The hash browns were very good, consistant with my last plateful. I won't say the biscuits and gravy were the best I've ever had, but they were a damn sight better than any biscuits and gravy I've ever had at the Dixie Trucker's Home down on Route 66!

Considering the hour and the geography this wasn't a bad start. Tonight I'll try to hit Tony Packo's before driving up to Detroit. I know it's a little "on the nose" for Toledo, and I've heard they really do have some great Middle Eastern food round these parts, but I haven't been to Tony's in a good long while and I'm due.

Talk to you tonight from Motown!

Buddy
jjjrfoodie
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 422
RE: Roadhouse Bar-B-Que Sauce Summer Tour, 2008 2008/07/24 19:31:58 (permalink)
Buddy;

I completely forgot you were going to Toledo this weekend, but a place that has been around for a long long time is Loma Linda’s mexican restaurant over neat the Toledo airport on the west side.

http://www.lomalindamexican.com/

There is also:
Arturos, Venturas and barron's Cafe in that group. All in Toledo area.

It's been 5 years or so since I've been up that way but it was a great hole-in-the-wall and most of the locals like it for non-franchise type fare. But they also have 3 other mex type restaurants in the area (Arturos even serves German favorites and schnitzels along side the Mexican fare--go figgure)

Let me know if you make it south to Dayton, OH in August and I will drive up from Cincy to meet ya for dinner.

Safe travels.

Jerry
jjjrfoodie

stricken_detective
  • Total Posts : 2330
RE: Roadhouse Bar-B-Que Sauce Summer Tour, 2008 2008/07/24 20:17:34 (permalink)
quote:

CSD pointed out that 500,000 bikers are expected in town that weekend. His students are forced to stay in Libertyville for lack of local rooms and most restaurants are fully booked. Plans may have to be changed and anyone thinking of dining with us that day are urged to make a firm commitment ASAP or Mickey D's may be the only thing available. SD, your aunt will love the new downtown, changes along the river, rehabbed areas near Marquette, The Historic Third Ward, and the new Public Market but it won't be that weekend. I'll be happy to call Branko to see if he has dining available but I need a headcount. Let's set August 3rd as a "&%$# or get off the pot final commitment day". I'll call Monday or Tuesday and see if a 3 Brothers burek is in our future for the 29th.

The only day I can't do it is the 1st as I am coming back from Mayo & my flight doesn't get in until almost 9. I am in for 3 Brothers any day other than that. Diane wants to come, but has to check the big calendar at home before she makes a committment.

My aunt went to Marquette 1985-1988 so she's in for a big surprise--no more IHOP!!!!
BuddyRoadhouse
Filet Mignon
RE: Roadhouse Bar-B-Que Sauce Summer Tour, 2008 2008/07/25 00:26:28 (permalink)
jjjr,

Didn't get your rec until late at night in Detroit, after a full meal at Tony Packo's consisting of their classic hot dog, a side of German potato salad, and a bowl of chili.

As for Dayton, everyting is confirmed and it will be a combo of Dayton and Cincinnati(Thursday & Friday at Dot's; Saturday & Sunday at Jungle Jim's)! So wake up all you Roadfoodies in the Queen City, Buddy is comin' to town in two weeks!

Another trip to Pit To Plate? Or shall we substitute Jim Dandy's this year? Why not a traveling dinner where we go to both places and compare them head to head?!? Graeter's is still in business aren't they? I met a guy during the off season who lived in Cincy and recommended a Peruvian place up near JJ's, sounds interesting!

What else have you got people?

Buddy
BuddyRoadhouse
Filet Mignon
RE: Roadhouse Bar-B-Que Sauce Summer Tour, 2008 2008/07/26 02:20:55 (permalink)
Honestly, I think I have some sort of internal compass that directs me, whether i'm trying or not, to bad neighborhoods with good food. Back in Cleveland it was Mt. Pleasant BBQ and here in Detroit it was Telway Hamburger System.

I guess I need to start at the beginning with my dinner at Slows Bar BQ. Eating out without Dad along limits my options for sharing and sampling so I find myself ordering sandwiches where once I ordered platters with myriad side dishes. Tonight I ordered The Longhorn, a brisket sandwich piled up on Texas toast (I had the option of getting it on a Kaiser roll, but come on, it’s brisket; how are you going to serve that on anything but Texas toast?), and then covered in onion marmalade and shredded smoked gouda cheese. A side of creamy mac & cheese with a crispy browned skin on top rounded out the meal and left me full to overflowing.

As I walked back to the car I spotted a place I had been curious about ever since we discovered Slows a couple years back. The Gaelic League of Detroit, just a few doors down from Slows is an odd little bar in an odder place. Although Slows is leading the way in rehabilitating the neighborhood, the rest of the street is holding back, kicking and screaming. The Gaelic League is one of the hold outs, dating back to the 1920s, presumably in the same spot where I found them tonight.

It is strictly a bar, no food served, and it is in fact a “members only” operation, although they welcomed me in without benefit of dues paid. It is a dingy place with low ceilings and thickly stuccoed walls attempting to recreate the rural feeling of old Ireland. Oddly enough this low key, unpretentious, tacky décor was the most realistic looking American Irish pub I have yet to see in this country.

There was a solo performer strumming away on an amplified acoustic guitar, singing typical Clancy Brothers material, interspersed with American country & western music. His talents were appreciated by an bizarre mix of regulars including some old time American Irish with beer guts hanging lower than the seats of their bar stools, young hipsters who were sincerely enjoying the atmosphere without any sense of irony, and a large gathering of middle aged ladies belonging to , I think they call it, The Red Hat Society.

I stuck around for a few songs and high-tailed it out of there, thinking I was heading straight back to the hotel. Oh how wrong I was. My unconscious brain took over and recalled how, on an earlier visit to Slows, I had missed my freeway exit and wound up far west of my destination. Quickly getting reoriented, I got back on the appropriate surface street and worked my way back east to the ‘Que palace, driving through some fascinating neighborhoods along the way.

While on this corrective course, I spotted a tiny, run down white shack with a shabby old sign that read “Telway Hamburger, 4 hamburgers, $2.00” I was so focused on getting to Slows that night that I didn’t make the usual exploratory stop, but made a mental note for the future to seek Telway out on another trip.

Ladies and gentlemen, tonight was the future that I had been waiting for. I couldn’t remember just how far lost I was the last time, so I just kept driving, hoping Telway would present itself. It seemed like forever and I kept thinking that I had either missed it or that the run down old building had finally collapsed in on itself and was no longer there. Then, after an endless succession of “gentleman’s clubs”, liquor stores, and places where you could cash your paycheck very late at night (presumably to be spent at the “gentleman’s clubs” and liquor stores) Telway presented itself like a shining hamburger beacon in the night.

It is a tiny place inside and out. A stainless steel counter that held maybe six patrons ran along the length of the place. I couldn’t help but think of Town Topic in Kansas City as I looked at his time capsule of a diner. The narrow kitchen area behind the counter had barely enough room for the three women who ran the place to move around.

I walked up to the carryout window around one side of the counter and placed my order for four hamburgers for $2.00. The order cam up quickly and I ran out to the car so I could back to the hotel. My plan was to toss the burgers in the fridge in my hotel room and then nuke them for breakfast the next morning. Unfortunately I made the mistake of opening the bag to have quick peek at my greasy loot.

The moment the top of the bag came open, a tempting and intoxicating perfume of grilled onions commingling with juicy ground beef fresh off the griddle hit me square in the jaw, wafted up my nose and turned my brain into mush. I was stuffed with Barbecue and I still had to have one of those little meat muffins right there and then!

Telway’s burgers are slightly bigger than a White Castle and slightly smaller than a McDonald’s burger and way better tasting than either one! These are simple burgers garnished only with a dab of ketchup and mustard, a couple of pickles, and sweet pungent grilled onions cooked right into the patty. If it tasted that good when I was full up to my neck, I can only imagine how fantastic they must be on an empty stomach!

They are open 24 hours so I may stop for more on my way out of town Sunday night!

Buddy

SLOWS BAR BQ
2138 Michigan Avenue
Detroit, Michigan 48216
(313) 962-9828

Telway Hamburger System
6820 Michigan Ave, Detroit, MI
(313) 843-2146

Gaelic League of Detroit
2068 Michigan Avenue
Detroit, MI 48216
(313) 964-8700
Russ Jackson
  • Total Posts : 2257
RE: Roadhouse Bar-B-Que Sauce Summer Tour, 2008 2008/07/27 13:26:40 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by BuddyRoadhouse

jjjr,

Didn't get your rec until late at night in Detroit, after a full meal at Tony Packo's consisting of their classic hot dog, a side of German potato salad, and a bowl of chili.

As for Dayton, everyting is confirmed and it will be a combo of Dayton and Cincinnati(Thursday & Friday at Dot's; Saturday & Sunday at Jungle Jim's)! So wake up all you Roadfoodies in the Queen City, Buddy is comin' to town in two weeks!

Another trip to Pit To Plate? Or shall we substitute Jim Dandy's this year? Why not a traveling dinner where we go to both places and compare them head to head?!? Graeter's is still in business aren't they? I met a guy during the off season who lived in Cincy and recommended a Peruvian place up near JJ's, sounds interesting!

What else have you got people?

Buddy

August 9th and 10th at Jungle Jims correct?....Russ
BuddyRoadhouse
Filet Mignon
RE: Roadhouse Bar-B-Que Sauce Summer Tour, 2008 2008/07/28 02:42:34 (permalink)
You got it Russ! Might you be joining us this year for a night out? Last year I met up with jjjrfoodie and Tumbleweed for a BBQ feast at Pit To Plate. TJ Jackson was otherwise engaged that weekend with family business. I'm hoping he (and you; and any other interested parties for that matter) will be able to join us at some point this year.

Details will be posted the week of the trip.

Just got back from Detroit minutes ago. A description of my last two meals there will be forthcoming.

This coming weekend we'll be back in Milwaukee, Friday through Sunday.

Buddy
ChiTownDiner
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2914
RE: Roadhouse Bar-B-Que Sauce Summer Tour, 2008 2008/07/28 17:50:08 (permalink)
Buddy - I love "managable equilibrium"...you get around brother!
jjjrfoodie
Cheeseburger
RE: Roadhouse Bar-B-Que Sauce Summer Tour, 2008 2008/07/29 10:14:44 (permalink)
We also did Hungarian food at the Iron Skillet on nite 2 lest you forget my dear Buddy.

As none of the Dayton folks have chimed in, I've have a few hundreds folks out of the Dayton/Cincy area I share a forum with and this is what they came up with for the Dayton area for ya. I have not been to any of these places but most come very highly recommened once they knew you wanted 'down and dirty" Dayton fare.

I try to meet you in Dayton of Friday nite and definately Cincy on Sat.

jjjrfoodie

Some suggestions - v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v
------------------

Little BBQ place down on the edge of the Oregon District in downtown. Patterson & 5th. Best BBQ in town. You will be the only non-local in there
Smoking Bar-B-Que
200 E 5th St
Dayton, OH 45402

El Meson... (located in West Carrollton). It's owned by a local family that takes the entire staff to Central/South America each year to get ideas for their menu. They have a standard menu and their rotating menu that focuses on different parts of Central/South America. Never had a bad thing in the 20+ times I've been there... and their mojitos are amazing... You can order a ton of tapas and pitchers of mojitos and it'll be amazing.
El Meson Restaurante
www.elmeson.net
903 E Dixie Dr
Dayton, OH 45449
(937) 859-8229

Slyders Tavern
836 Watervliet Ave
Dayton, OH 45420
(937) 258-1222
slyderstavern.com
Voted best burger in Dayton
Got to go early or late because it's small and fills up quick.

Tank’s Bar and Grill
2033 Wayne Ave
Dayton, OH 45410
(937) 252-2249
Supposedly they have the best breakfast and chili in town.... i guess its been voted best breakfast place the last couple years in a row in the city “what’s hot” paper...if you go on a sunday, make sure you go early and plan on waiting, because from what i hear, they fill up quick and are slow because the have a small kitchen...

The Broadstreet Grill on Broadstreet in Fairborn.
If your order the Burba Burger.. its like 2.5 pounds of burger, 1 pound of fries, 2 sides, (named after a friend)... and its only $16, but if you eat it in 45 minutes its free...

Linh's Vietenamese Restaurant
Linh's... it beats every other Viet place in the city. It's a little place attached to an Asian grocery on Airway between Woodman and Smithville. Most are addicted to the pho and soft rolls.

Edit:
Called today. Fred Hickory is only doing catering and mail order business with NO walk up or dine in service. Sorry for the misinformation.
http://www.fredhickory.com
FRED HICKORY ORIGINAL OZARK MOUNTAIN BBQ
1440 Sherwood Forest Drive
West Carrollton, OH 45449
(937) 866-1181
Also runs a truck which is catering and bbq cooking classes....

A&W Root Beer Stand on Woodman. Real old school, eat in the car drive in diner. Best coney dogs ever. Draft root beer.

Voltzys is the place for burgers....although he also runs out of a trailer
Voltzy's Wiener World
3578 Kettering Blvd # 1000
Dayton, OH 45439-2032
Phone: 937-299-1440

Hooks' Bar B Que (in da hood)
Hooks' Bar B Que
2324 North Gettysburg Avenue,
Dayton, OH 45406.
(937) 277-0006

Hamburger Wagon
Miamisburg, OH (Dayton suburb)
12 E Central Ave
Miamisburg, OH 45342
(937) 847-2442

Edit:
BuddyRoadhouse
Filet Mignon
RE: Roadhouse Bar-B-Que Sauce Summer Tour, 2008 2008/07/29 14:45:01 (permalink)
I certainly did not forget about Iron Skillet, jjjr. It was a fine meal. Thanks to TJ Jackson for recommending it. My apologies for failing to mention it.

Thanks for all those great sounding Dayton recommendations! My original plan was to have dinner in Dayton on Thursday night only and then drive down to Cincinnati for dinner after finishing work on Friday. Now I'm tempted to have Friday dinner in Dayton before heading south.

As for Saturday night, I'm torn between Pit To Plate and making a return trip to Alabama Fish Bar. True, AFB is in a less than desirable neighborhood, but it was such a great experience I'm drawn back there. If we can get a group together I can pull out one of the demo tables from the trunk of my car and we could set up an impromptu picnic right there on the sidewalk! Could be a lot of fun. Or we could be putting our lives on the line, we'll just have to wait and find out!

Of course there's always Sunday night before I head back up to Chicago. I don't want to make too much of an evening on Sunday as I want to get home at a reasonable hour. There's a Peruvian restaurant called the The Savor, on Dixie Highway, just south of Jungle Jim's. it was recommended to me by some Cincy folks passing through Chicago earlier this year. Anybody have any familiarity with the place?

Oh well, we've got a bit of time to consider all this. Give it some thought and we'll make plans as the dates approach.

Thanks again for all the Dayton recs. Now I've got to choose...

Buddy
jjjrfoodie
Cheeseburger
RE: Roadhouse Bar-B-Que Sauce Summer Tour, 2008 2008/07/29 16:23:10 (permalink)
Peruivian restaurant is Sabor Peruano. Used to be about 1/2 mile farther south, but they moved in the old Pedro's restaurant at Rt. 4 and Mulhauser and the former spot is now Sabor Mexicano IIRC.
Family run business. I think google and the Cincinnati Enquirer has a few reviews on them. I have never been but happy to go. Pit to Plate is fine as well. Sweet cucumber and onion salad and 5 homemade sauces, even 1 with shirachi IIRC from last year. Yum.

Your call. I eat anything anywhere. :)

jjjrfoodie
BuddyRoadhouse
Filet Mignon
RE: Roadhouse Bar-B-Que Sauce Summer Tour, 2008 2008/07/31 17:23:20 (permalink)
jjjrfoodie, we'll work on Dayton/Cincinnati dinner plans next week. Right now I'm focused on one of out last trips up north to Milwaukee, where I hope I'm not thrown out of town what with the Cubs just minutes ago sweeping the Brewers into third place. I'm not on the team payroll, I didn't set the opening line up, please don't hate me just because I'm from Chicago.

Here's the schedule:

Friday, August 1st, Noon-7:00pm
DaddyRoadhouse: Grasch's; 13950 W. North Avenue; Brookfield, WI
BuddyRoadhouse: Sendik's; 500 E. Silver Spring; Whitefish Bay, WI

Saturday, August 2nd, Noon-6:00pm
DaddyRoadhouse: Sentry; 701 N. Meadowbrook Rd.; Waukesha, WI
BuddyRoadhouse: Sentry; 3270 Golf Rd.; Delafield, WI

Sunday, August 3rd, Noon-6:00pm
DaddyRoadhouse:Sendik's; 4027 N. Oakland; Shorewood (Milwaukee), WI
BuddyRoadhouse:Sendik's; 18900 Capitol Dr.; Brookfield, WI

We're available for dinner all three nights and looking for ideas. MilwFoodlovers seems quite interested in us trying Ilija's (sp?) for Serbian food. Any other takers? Also we have yet to make a trip to Sobelman's or Speed Queen this summer...

Hope to see you guys up north. I'll be the guy wearing a White Sox cap.

Buddy
ChiTownDiner
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2914
RE: Roadhouse Bar-B-Que Sauce Summer Tour, 2008 2008/07/31 21:01:55 (permalink)
Don't diss your roots so quickly...let them win a buck or two on the next sausage race!
MilwFoodlovers
Filet Mignon
RE: Roadhouse Bar-B-Que Sauce Summer Tour, 2008 2008/07/31 21:29:46 (permalink)
Now, now boys; one of my favorite movies was about a Chicago baseball team.

I should be available Sunday so just let me know where to meet.
Both Mrs. MFL and I are both headed out of town early Saturday so Friday might be an early night. Still, I can hear Sobelmans calling me........... I hear McBob's too. Several of us ate at Ilija's Place last Friday but they have several dishes I wouldn't mind trying.

Hmmm, I just noticed your locations. Buddy, you and Daddy couldn't be farther apart if you tried. How are you two meeting up? Are both of you working until 7? I think an 8pm dining meet-up might not work for us two.
BuddyRoadhouse
Filet Mignon
RE: Roadhouse Bar-B-Que Sauce Summer Tour, 2008 2008/07/31 21:50:45 (permalink)
8:00pm is likely for Friday night. 7:00pm is more reasonable for Saturday and Sunday.

Buddy
MilwFoodlovers
Filet Mignon
RE: Roadhouse Bar-B-Que Sauce Summer Tour, 2008 2008/07/31 22:18:31 (permalink)
I see Sunday Daddy is one block away from Benji's Deli which is open to 8.
Maybe he should drop you off and I could pick you up and take you to Benji's.
Hoppel Poppel?
Fried Matzo?
Fried salami?
Borscht?

http://www.foodspot.com/benjisdeli/menu.html
Benji's Deli
4156 North Oakland Avenue
Shorewood, WI 53211
Phone: (414) 332-7777
You and Daddy might want to stop for breakfast; I'll be in Madison saturday, back afternoonish Sunday.

Don't forget: Az di bobe volt gehat beytsim volt zi geven mayn zeyde!
I have no idea why I threw that out.

You don't have time to run to Sheboygan but here is the closest thing to it:

http://www.foodspot.com/waynes/

I also think you might want to loosen the purse strings a wee bit and eat at Cafe Coquette. http://www.coquettecafe.com/coquettecafe.default.menu.htm
It would be Roadfood food if we were in Alsace France. We usually make a meal on two soups and the Charcuterie plate making it very inexpensive. Highly, highly recommended.
BuddyRoadhouse
Filet Mignon
RE: Roadhouse Bar-B-Que Sauce Summer Tour, 2008 2008/07/31 23:12:09 (permalink)
If Benji's is open until 8:00pm we should have no problem getting there in time. I'll wrap up around 6:00, get back to Dad by 7:00 and over to Benji's within minutes.

I never realized they were open that late otherwise we would have gone there sooner and more often.

Anyone available for Friday or Saturday?

Buddy
X1
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 942
RE: Roadhouse Bar-B-Que Sauce Summer Tour, 2008 2008/08/01 09:25:07 (permalink)
I'm around all weekend, and I'm feelin' fine!

Let me know where the dinners will be - y'all have my cell number.

BuddyRoadhouse
Filet Mignon
RE: Roadhouse Bar-B-Que Sauce Summer Tour, 2008 2008/08/01 11:04:13 (permalink)
Leaving Chicago now, I'll be in the Grasch's parking lot to pick up Dad around 6:45-7:00pm. Anyone who wants to join us can meet us there.

X1, I'll call you when plans have been made.

Buddy
Page: << < ..678910.. > >> Showing page 10 of 14
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1