Should restaurants that don't fit the Roadfood theme be on this site?

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
Phil from Philly
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 12
2013/02/04 06:35:10 (permalink)

Should restaurants that don't fit the Roadfood theme be on this site?

I've been seeing a lot of reviews recently like the one for Evo in North Charleston, SC.  It's featured on the main Roadfood.com page today.  There are a few nods to the local surroundings, like okra as a pizza topping, but an upscale wood-fired pizzeria in South Carolina definitely isn't Roadfood.  It looks like a great restaurant, but the whole point of Roadfood.com is to help travelers find traditional regional foods like BBQ, and reviews for restaurants that don't belong here are increasingly cluttering up the site.
post edited by Phil from Philly - 2013/02/04 06:39:46

56 Replies Related Threads

billyboy
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2442
    Re:Should restaurants that don't fit the Roadfood theme be on this site? 2013/02/04 07:14:43 (permalink)
    A belated welcome to Roadfood, Phil! 

The term "Roadfood" is one of those things that means something different to everyone and there are probably almost as many interpretations as there are Roadfood members.  Yes, they do have a definition of sorts on the site but this subject comes up every few years and it seems that it is more of a template than a hard & fast definition.  As Ed Norton once famously told Ralph Kramden, "You can't fit a square peg into a round hole!"  And so it is with Roadfood.  There are so many great places with wonderful character, generations of dedicated families and amazing food that just don't fit neatly into a box. 

A great way to find lots of regional specialties is to read some of the Trip Reports of RFer "Wanderingjew".  He travels quite a bit and when he does he is a pretty strict regionalist and will only try the local specialties.  Terrific pictures, narrative and a bounty of regional foods to be found all over the USA in his write-ups. 

If you look at the restaurant listings for South Carolina, you'll see that most of them are places featuring regional specialties:  South Carolina barbeque, oysters, meat & three, shrimp & grits, she-crab soup, etc.  It seems like there is room on the site for the regional specialties AND other places that maybe don't specialize in regional foods. 

I'm curious as to why you feel the site is becoming cluttered.  Are you referring specifically to the restaurant reviews?  I surf Roadfood quite a bit and have always been able to find places featuring regional specialties with relative ease.  If there's anything I can do to help, just let me know.  Happy Eating! 
    -billyboy
    wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7911
    Re:Should restaurants that don't fit the Roadfood theme be on this site? 2013/02/04 07:48:22 (permalink)
    I thank Billyboy for the nod.

I hate to take credit for being a strict regionalist, however the only reason why I am is because I follow the The Stern's "pre website" roadfood books of strict regionalism.

Although to me, the The Stern's will always "own" the concept of Roadfood, they  have always been open to their readers suggestions had a whole new world open up when they launched the Roadfood website. As a result  roadfooders like Ayersian and Bruce Bilmes  have assisted in "re-vamping" and "updating" the definition of "roadfood" with their tremendous contributions.
    In addition to that, unfortunately with the "wal-mall-ification of America and a desire over the last couple of decades for certain parts of the country to "want to fit in" with whats hip and trendy many regiional specialties  have simply died out....

So although I "prefer" to stand with tradition,  I do relent that "roadfood" now has a much broader definition than it used to......
    mar52
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 8085
    Re:Should restaurants that don't fit the Roadfood theme be on this site? 2013/02/04 12:30:34 (permalink)
    Sometimes while "on the road" there aren't regionally represented foods to be had.

I hope I can find good, interesting or "write home about" things to eat when traveling. 

With the help of others here, I can often find them.  Nothing wrong with a wood fired pizza in South Carolina if it's outstanding.

For regionally specific.. Wanderingjew is the source.

Fast Food and chains are also important because at times you might be in a city or gas stop (while on the road) where they the only thing that are available.

Roadfood is not a finite entity...  it's a guide.
    wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    Re:Should restaurants that don't fit the Roadfood theme be on this site? 2013/02/04 13:19:13 (permalink)
    mar52

For regionally specific.. Wanderingjew is the source.

Fast Food and chains are also important because at times you might be in a city or gas stop (while on the road) where they the only thing that are available.

Roadfood is not a finite entity...  it's a guide.

Why thank, you,  Mar,

Regarding fast food and chains, I have to disagree, I haven't resorted to stopping at a fast food restaurant or chain restaurant in many, many years while I'm on the road.....There are plenty of local restaurants to be found, again besides roadfood, yelp, chowhound and urbanspoon are great sources
    1bbqboy
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4636
    Re:Should restaurants that don't fit the Roadfood theme be on this site? 2013/02/04 14:29:04 (permalink)
    We've run out of and through all the old restaurants. Though the Northeasters will argue with you, you can now get  a fabulous pizza in SC, or AZ, or OR... 
    or Iowa .
    You can get BBQ in NYC. We're a mobile society 30 years on from the first RF books, and people have taken their regional food with them as they've migrated across this great country.
    CCinNJ
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7778
    Re:Should restaurants that don't fit the Roadfood theme be on this site? 2013/02/04 14:35:04 (permalink)
    Michael Stern wrote the review for Evo.
    TJ Jackson
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4596
    Re:Should restaurants that don't fit the Roadfood theme be on this site? 2013/02/04 14:39:11 (permalink)
    1bbqboy you can now get  a fabulous pizza in SC, or AZ, or OR... 
    or Iowa .

or Atlanta
    felix4067
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3554
    Re:Should restaurants that don't fit the Roadfood theme be on this site? 2013/02/04 15:02:42 (permalink)
    mar52

Sometimes while "on the road" there aren't regionally represented foods to be had.

I hope I can find good, interesting or "write home about" things to eat when traveling. 

This is what I was going to say. Many regions simply do not have "regional food". So unless we include places like diners (just as an example...you cannot tell me breakfast is regional, with the possible exception of scrapple or grits), what are we to do when we find ourselves on the road in places that have no definitive cuisine? Me, I'm excited as heck when I find a really good regional specialty outside its traditional home, because that means not only do I not have to travel somewhere I am not to eat it, but that odds are really good it is being served in a Roadfood-worthy establishment, most often by a restaurant owner or chef who came from wherever the food does. I think that's neat.
    wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    Re:Should restaurants that don't fit the Roadfood theme be on this site? 2013/02/04 16:39:25 (permalink)
    1bbqboy

We've run out of and through all the old restaurants. Though the Northeasters will argue with you, you can now get  a fabulous pizza in SC, or AZ, or OR... 
    or Iowa .
    You can get BBQ in NYC. We're a mobile society 30 years on from the first RF books, and people have taken their regional food with them as they've migrated across this great country.

And that's wonderful for the locals. Believe me, here in Rhode Island I do just about everything but  the iconic Rhode Island specialties (which I still do on occasion) however my traveling is limited, so I'd rather eat what's unique rather than get something that I can find "right across the street"at home...

felix4067 
    This is what I was going to say. Many regions simply do not have "regional food". So unless we include places like diners (just as an example...you cannot tell me breakfast is regional, with the possible exception of scrapple or grits), 

Quiz me, 
    I think you may be in for a huge surprise
    Adjudicator
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5066
    Re:Should restaurants that don't fit the Roadfood theme be on this site? 2013/02/04 17:35:17 (permalink)
    Phil from Philly

I've been seeing a lot of reviews recently like the one for Evo in North Charleston, SC.  It's featured on the main Roadfood.com page today.  There are a few nods to the local surroundings, like okra as a pizza topping, but an upscale wood-fired pizzeria in South Carolina definitely isn't Roadfood.  It looks like a great restaurant, but the whole point of Roadfood.com is to help travelers find traditional regional foods like BBQ, and reviews for restaurants that don't belong here are increasingly cluttering up the site.

I was a newbie too at one point.

felix4067
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Should restaurants that don't fit the Roadfood theme be on this site? 2013/02/04 17:38:42 (permalink)
    wanderingjew

felix4067  
    This is what I was going to say. Many regions simply do not have "regional food". So unless we include places like diners (just as an example...you cannot tell me breakfast is regional, with the possible exception of scrapple or grits), 

Quiz me, 

My area leaps to mind. I've lived here for more than 40 years, and I honestly can't think of one thing that would qualify. Unless you want to stretch it to include freshwater fish, but that's available lots of places. I would love you to prove me wrong, by the way. I'm always up for learning new things, especially when it comes to food. I just can't see West Michigan having anything that differentiates us from anywhere else in the midwest.  Heck...let's expand it to all of Michigan, in which case you can tell me about cherries from Traverse City, fudge from Mackinac Island, Coney dogs from Detroit and smoked whitefish from the UP...all of which are a minimum four-hour drive away. We're closer to Chicago than any of those.

As for breakfast...eggs, bacon, sausage, toast, pancakes...not so regional. Like I said, there are exceptions, but for the most part eggs are eggs.
    post edited by felix4067 - 2013/02/04 17:39:52
    wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    Re:Should restaurants that don't fit the Roadfood theme be on this site? 2013/02/04 18:36:47 (permalink)
    felix4067

wanderingjew

felix4067  

Quiz me, 

My area leaps to mind. I've lived here for more than 40 years, and I honestly can't think of one thing that would qualify. Unless you want to stretch it to include freshwater fish, but that's available lots of places. I would love you to prove me wrong, by the way. I'm always up for learning new things, especially when it comes to food. I just can't see West Michigan having anything that differentiates us from anywhere else in the midwest.  Heck...let's expand it to all of Michigan, in which case you can tell me about cherries from Traverse City, fudge from Mackinac Island, Coney dogs from Detroit and smoked whitefish from the UP...all of which are a minimum four-hour drive away. We're closer to Chicago than any of those.

As for breakfast...eggs, bacon, sausage, toast, pancakes...not so regional. Like I said, there are exceptions, but for the most part eggs are eggs.

You are correct, I couldn't tell you anything about Grand Rapids specifically, however those are the items I had in mind with Michigan, however "freshwater fish" is as regional to Grand Rapids as the breaded pork tenderloin (which can be found between the I80 and I90 corridor between Indiana eastern Nebraska and Missouri is as regional to "Indianapolis"

Regarding breakfast......
    Where can I start....
    Fish Cakes and Beans in New England? or perhaps Muffins in Northern New England, yes, the Sterns have called Northern New England the Muffin belt and I can certainly see why after experiencing the best of the best in Maine and Vermont.....Speaking of Vermont- Real Maple Syrup and Pancakes.?  Heading to my neck of the woods- Jonny Cakes, or maybe some eggs, linguica (or chourice) with some portuguese bread which you can wash  down with coffee milk....Perhaps some lox eggs and onions with a bagel in NYC? or Chipped Beef and Toast in the Mid Atlantic?  Don't get me started on the South. Country ham in the mid south? or perhaps Biscuits and Red Eye Gravy?  Fat Back or Fried Bologna with those cat head biscuits and saw mill gravy?  Heading down to New Orleans- debris and eggs? Or you can substitute Migas in Texas, speaking of Texas you can also order that chicken fried steak too instead of bacon or sausage. Perhaps  some Carne Adovada in New Mexico or in the Dessert Southwest, Huevos Ranchero or some fried bread too or warm tortillas. In Utah- scones with honey butter....Speaking of scones, I've yet to have any that are nearly as good as those in the Pacific Northwest....Avocado with your eggs in So Cal, or perhaps fresh baked Granola or head up north to the Bay Area for some fresh sourdough and a hangtown fry......I haven't even gotten to the midwest. Iowa and their cinnamon buns, Wild rice omelets and pancakes in Minnesota or perhaps some Swedish Pancakes with lingonberries. And don't forget Hopfel Popfel (spelling?) in Milwaukee or some Goetta in Cincinnati and Slingers and Gooey Butter Cakes in St Louis

Need I go on?
    felix4067
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Should restaurants that don't fit the Roadfood theme be on this site? 2013/02/04 19:29:26 (permalink)
    I stand corrected on breakfast!

I guess it depends on your definition of regional as far as Michigan (or probably a lot of other places) are concerned. To me, West Michigan is a region and it goes well beyond Grand Rapids, which sits pretty much in the middle. But it takes about five hours to drive it from top to bottom, and about three hours to drive it side to side. The rest of the state isn't regional to me, since it's further away than that. Fair point about the breaded pork tenderloin and freshwater fish!

My reasoning for the whole state not being regional to here, though, is that almost none of those things are served here. Yeah, you can buy Mackinac Island fudge, but it was made last week and you have to go to the Made in Michigan store at the mall (if it's even still there, I haven't been in years). You can get a Coney dog, but it's made with canned chili. Smoked whitefish or a pasty? Not a chance. It's no different from buying those things in other states.
    MetroplexJim
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4214
    Re:Should restaurants that don't fit the Roadfood theme be on this site? 2013/02/04 19:39:47 (permalink)
    Hey, I enjoy an open-face turkey sandwich with mashed potatos, gravy, and bacon-laced green beans as much as anyone - right down to the dollop of cranberry gel with the can marks still on it. 

But, to me, if there is no tablecloth and/or no more than 3 utensils provided initially, it's "Roadfood". 

Therefore, Evo's is Roadfood.  Q.E.D.

(Years ago I "discovered" Neopolitan-style pizza at Faccia Luna, an 'Evo's-like" place in State College, PA.  And it was fantastic.  As this was before the "net", I discovered it totally by accident; the business honorary who had invited me to speak took me there after my presentation.  I was on the road and they served food; therefore:  Roadfood!).

Phil from Philly
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 12
    Re:Should restaurants that don't fit the Roadfood theme be on this site? 2013/02/04 20:34:11 (permalink)
    Thanks to everyone for the replies.  I'm a longtime reader of the site, but I don't venture into the forums much.

wanderingjew

And that's wonderful for the locals. Believe me, here in Rhode Island I do just about everything but  the iconic Rhode Island specialties (which I still do on occasion) however my traveling is limited, so I'd rather eat what's unique rather than get something that I can find "right across the street"at home... 

Amen to that! If I lived in Charleston, I'd probably want to try this place, but when I'm on a road trip to SC, give me grits, BBQ, Low Country food, etc!

billyboy

A belated welcome to Roadfood, Phil! 

The term "Roadfood" is one of those things that means something different to everyone and there are probably almost as many interpretations as there are Roadfood members.  Yes, they do have a definition of sorts on the site but this subject comes up every few years and it seems that it is more of a template than a hard & fast definition.  As Ed Norton once famously told Ralph Kramden, "You can't fit a square peg into a round hole!"  And so it is with Roadfood.  There are so many great places with wonderful character, generations of dedicated families and amazing food that just don't fit neatly into a box. 

A great way to find lots of regional specialties is to read some of the Trip Reports of RFer "Wanderingjew".  He travels quite a bit and when he does he is a pretty strict regionalist and will only try the local specialties.  Terrific pictures, narrative and a bounty of regional foods to be found all over the USA in his write-ups. 

If you look at the restaurant listings for South Carolina, you'll see that most of them are places featuring regional specialties:  South Carolina barbeque, oysters, meat & three, shrimp & grits, she-crab soup, etc.  It seems like there is room on the site for the regional specialties AND other places that maybe don't specialize in regional foods. 

I'm curious as to why you feel the site is becoming cluttered.  Are you referring specifically to the restaurant reviews?  I surf Roadfood quite a bit and have always been able to find places featuring regional specialties with relative ease.  If there's anything I can do to help, just let me know.  Happy Eating! 
    -billyboy

I am referring to the restaurant reviews - while I can find regional specialties easily in spite of non-regional restaurants being mixed in, regional cuisine is why I come here.  Anything that doesn't fit the Roadfood theme is cluttering up the site.  If you just want to find the best restaurants in Charleston, there are plenty of other restaurant review sites out there .  If you want shrimp & grits, she-crab soup, etc, you check Roadfood.com!
    EdSails
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4078
    Re:Should restaurants that don't fit the Roadfood theme be on this site? 2013/02/04 21:06:47 (permalink)
    Interesting topic. The definitions have certainly changed very much. I trend to be more of the "representing the region" by what is made. IMO, if a pizza in the southeast is topped with fried okra, they are creating a regional specialty. Out here in the west, we have now the "Sonora Dog" or what ever each particular place calls it. You ask, how can hot dogs and bacon be regional, since they are popular all over, but it took someone in a certain area to come up with the combo that is now identified with the southwest. I think that is what is so unique about the Roadfood concept, that regions are still creating their own dishes. I don't see the problem of dishes or styles of places migrating either----if a certain type of eatery can work well in another, so be it. The other questions, what constitutes regional, is interesting also. That's why we can have a whole state's worth of Texas barbecue, but different regional styles in east and west North Carolina. Out here, the "Santa Maria Barbecue" for the most part is confined to a medium sized valley. 
    I think in the long run that's what's breathing new life into the Roadfood concept. As food travels, we are seeing techniques from one area show up in another. Often times, they have great results. After all, a lot of us would really miss out if someone, someplace, hadn't thought to combine Louis Lunch's New Haven Hamburger with some San Antonio Chili. 
    CajunKing
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6460
    Re:Should restaurants that don't fit the Roadfood theme be on this site? 2013/02/04 22:04:54 (permalink)
    Adjudicator

Phil from Philly

I was a newbie too at one point.

Yes joe you were and now after 9 years we are stuck with ya! 
    You should head over to Mobile Presidents day weekend
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10328
    Re:Should restaurants that don't fit the Roadfood theme be on this site? 2013/02/05 01:57:52 (permalink)
    Phil from Philly
    -----"the whole point of Roadfood.com is to help travelers find traditional regional foods like BBQ, and reviews for restaurants that don't belong here are increasingly cluttering up the site."

I'm not sure how or where you got the credentials to decide what belongs here and what doesn't and what constitutes clutter.
    Suffice to say that if you read every forum and every post there are more what could be described as roadfood places discussed than anything else.
    Suggest you start with "New Jersey Hot Dogs"!
    jman
    • Total Posts : 1364
    Re:Should restaurants that don't fit the Roadfood theme be on this site? 2013/02/05 07:47:51 (permalink)
    Foodbme

Phil from Philly
    -----"the whole point of Roadfood.com is to help travelers find traditional regional foods like BBQ, and reviews for restaurants that don't belong here are increasingly cluttering up the site."

I'm not sure how or where you got the credentials to decide what belongs here and what doesn't and what constitutes clutter.
    Suffice to say that if you read every forum and every post there are more what could be described as roadfood places discussed than anything else.
    Suggest you start with "New Jersey Hot Dogs"!

It took 18 posts before someone decided to put this poster "in his place".  I've seen numerous posts from old timers here complaining about "slippage" of the subject matter, and I think that type of discussion is important for the community because it's old friends talking to old friends.  However, I feel that a newbie coming here and complaining about a review from Michael Stern, and then using it as a commentary against the site, is an attack, not a constructive criticism.  Phil, if you're not happy with the reviews or you're not happy with what you see at Roadfood.com in general, there is an alternative for you.   
    buffetbuster
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10425
    Re:Should restaurants that don't fit the Roadfood theme be on this site? 2013/02/05 08:51:21 (permalink)
    Foodbme-
    Phil does clarify above that he is referring to the official restaurant reviews, not the forums.

jman-
    I could not disagree with you more.  He has every right to come here and state his opinion, which I feel he did in a respectful way and not in an attack. 

Phil has been a registered member here for over four years.  It is apparent from what he wrote that he actually does use the restaurant review database to find regional places to eat while he is traveling.   That makes me pay attention to his opinion more than his post count.       
    wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    Re:Should restaurants that don't fit the Roadfood theme be on this site? 2013/02/05 08:52:05 (permalink)
    felix4067

And don't even get me started on Beignets and Cafe Au Lait in New Orleans, toasted cuban bread and butter with cafe con leche in South Florida or Trenton Pork Roll in New Jersey for that matter...

Phil From Philly

don't let other "posters" detract you just ignore them.  You brought up a very worthy topic and I look forward to your future comments...
    post edited by wanderingjew - 2013/02/05 09:20:39
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18664
    Re:Should restaurants that don't fit the Roadfood theme be on this site? 2013/02/05 10:58:08 (permalink)
    Trenton Pork Roll?
    FriedClamFanatic
    • Total Posts : 1739
    Re:Should restaurants that don't fit the Roadfood theme be on this site? 2013/02/05 16:13:21 (permalink)
    Michael Hoffman

Trenton Pork Roll?

Also known as Taylor Pork Roll
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18664
    Re:Should restaurants that don't fit the Roadfood theme be on this site? 2013/02/05 17:29:21 (permalink)
    That's what I always buy.
    Davydd
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6396
    Re:Should restaurants that don't fit the Roadfood theme be on this site? 2013/02/05 20:37:45 (permalink)
    The problem with roadfood is that when the Sterns started this venture there were still longtime regional restaurants serving unique foods to their region. Fast food, chains, TV, Internet, mobility, etc. is quickly wiping out regionalism. What's good gets spread around. Then there are few people opening up independent diners and cafes with a "roadfood" flavor. What is opening up are "chef driven" restaurants at a higher end more dinner oriented. Those restaurants are busy designing menus to harken a local flavor and bent. I wouldn't call them roadfood in the old traditional sense but they are independent and locally owned. Also regions are changing. The Minneapolis/St. Paul Twin Cities area had a huge influx of Southeast Asians (mainly Hmong) and Somalis. Those restaurants are serving unique foods that are hard to find in other regions and they are becoming dominant. Just read the local talk on Chowhound to confirm that. Ya, you betcha, the Twin Cities is changing. Few Minnesotans today even know about let alone tasted lefse and lutefisk and lingonberries are mostly sold at Ikea.
    wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    Re:Should restaurants that don't fit the Roadfood theme be on this site? 2013/02/05 22:11:17 (permalink)
    Davydd

The problem with roadfood is that when the Sterns started this venture there were still longtime regional restaurants serving unique foods to their region. Fast food, chains, TV, Internet, mobility, etc. is quickly wiping out regionalism. What's good gets spread around. Then there are few people opening up independent diners and cafes with a "roadfood" flavor. What is opening up are "chef driven" restaurants at a higher end more dinner oriented. Those restaurants are busy designing menus to harken a local flavor and bent. I wouldn't call them roadfood in the old traditional sense but they are independent and locally owned. Also regions are changing. The Minneapolis/St. Paul Twin Cities area had a huge influx of Southeast Asians (mainly Hmong) and Somalis. Those restaurants are serving unique foods that are hard to find in other regions and they are becoming dominant. Just read the local talk on Chowhound to confirm that. Ya, you betcha, the Twin Cities is changing. Few Minnesotans today even know about let alone tasted lefse and lutefisk and lingonberries are mostly sold at Ikea.

Barring lutefisk, (which I think  I still think should be considered a form of torture) I proved in my "heartlanding though the breadbasket" trip report that the traditional stuff is very much alive and well.... Many of the local cafes that didn't  (and don't) have websites do have facebook pages  and there's lotsa hotdish to be dished out....
    BTW, my experiences with Scandinavian food have been nothing but favorable- comfort food at its best. For the life of me I can't imagine why it could possibly be disappearing.

I do agree though at least  in they  NYC area, other than a few tourist oriented Jewish  delis that are left, the locals have all moved on to Asian, Caribbean, West African and Latin American food. 

BTW, we have plenty of hmong here in Rhode Island and we have several Hmong restaurants- no big whoop
    post edited by wanderingjew - 2013/02/05 22:13:19
    carolina bob
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3420
    Re:Should restaurants that don't fit the Roadfood theme be on this site? 2013/02/05 22:20:37 (permalink)
    Twenty years ago you couldn't find an Italian beef sandwich outside of the Chicago area but that certainly has changed. Thanks to the Internet and Food Network-type shows, Chicagoland's best-kept culinary secret isn't a secret anymore. Italian beef sandwiches, as well as Chicago-style hot dogs, can now be found from coast to coast. Look at Portillo's and Al's #1 Beef; Portillo's has a couple of outlets in southern California, and Al's recently opened a location in Athens GA and will soon open up in San Jose and Las Vegas. The concept of regional has certainly changed since the Sterns' first book back in the '70s.
    post edited by carolina bob - 2013/02/05 22:59:18
    EdSails
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4078
    Re:Should restaurants that don't fit the Roadfood theme be on this site? 2013/02/05 22:53:46 (permalink)
    wanderingjew, 
    I really wonder why Scandinavian food has all but disappeared. Out here in CA, where when I was growing up there were several decent Scandinavian restaurants, the only places left it seems are the Danish places in Solvang (Little Denmark) and the Swedish places in Kingsburg (Little Sweden). Outside of that, I can't find Scandinavian food at all any more. I went to a place in Kingsburg a few months ago called the Stockholm Bakery and Cafe and it was such a treat to have a Swedish lunch. I don't know if it's just not "exotic" enough for people today or what the reason is, but it is a shame that it has all but disappeared. 

Carolina Bob,
    You're right. Portillo's in Buena Park is a once a month treat for me. I have turned several friends on to it and everyone loves it. In fact, now you have me thinking of an Italian beef......I may have to go there on Thursday. Being able to enjoy something like that here is a treat indeed.

Davydd,
    You hit on a lot of good points. A few months ago I went to Portland and spent a day with Mr. Chips going to several road food-type places. I think things are alive and well. One of the highlights was the Cameo Cafe that we went to for breakfast. Mr. Chips had a huge blueberry pancake and bacon. I had a huge Korean pancake, with a side of bacon too.I also had the house-made kimchi. Everything was delicious. Like everything else, Roadfood is changing, but there are still plenty of old standbys and I am learning to enjoy the new places too that take regional influences and combine them with concepts from people who have moved here from other countries and combined their foods with ours to make new, unique regional styles.
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10328
    Re:Should restaurants that don't fit the Roadfood theme be on this site? 2013/02/06 00:35:08 (permalink)
    buffetbuster
    Foodbme-
    Phil does clarify above that he is referring to the official restaurant reviews, not the forums.

I think my same comment would apply.
    If you look at the TOTAL body of work in the Restaurant Reviews, you would find many more what you could call "Traditional Roadfood" places reviewed than any other lkind.
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1