Sonny's Real Pit Bar-B-Q

Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
Author
dth1971
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 18
2007/10/12 18:26:33 (permalink)

Sonny's Real Pit Bar-B-Q

Anyone in the Southern States heard of Sonny's Real Pit Bar-B-Q Restaurants? I took out from that restaurant on a couple Florida state trips.

69 Replies Related Threads

seafarer john
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3481
    RE: Sonny's Real Pit Bar-B-Q 2007/10/12 20:59:27 (permalink)
    I'm not from the south, but I do visit there annually, and we usually make a stop at a Sonny's BBQ. I like their sliced pork sandwich. I dont expect to gt "great BBQ" at Sonny's, but I do fnd it reliable and tasty.It is my understanding that each restauant smokes its own pork, so, there might be some variation between locations.

cheers, John
    QFan
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 643
    RE: Sonny's Real Pit Bar-B-Q 2007/10/13 07:51:42 (permalink)
    IMO, John is right on w/ his comments about Sonny's. Menu note: their "Big Deal" sandwich w/ side is a real bargain.

QFan
    Bonita Springs, FL
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15335
    RE: Sonny's Real Pit Bar-B-Q 2007/10/13 11:20:35 (permalink)

We have stopped at one on I-75 near the KY-TN line (on the KY side). As stated It isn't top of the line, but it can be good for a stop away from FF burgers!
    ces1948
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1512
    RE: Sonny's Real Pit Bar-B-Q 2007/10/13 18:02:35 (permalink)
    I believe I am correct on this but it may not be entirely accurate. The first Sonny's which was known as Sonny's Fat Boy was on Waldo Rd in Gainesville, FL. I ate there pretty often in the early 70's, in fact is was the first barbq that I liked with my only previous experience being a place in Lakeland, Fl whose name I don't recall. Sonny's was the first place I'd ever seen serve the 32 ounce drinks which were pretty unusual in those days. They also opened a 2nd location in Gainesville on 13th st but because of some glitch they weren't allowed to smoke meat there so they brought meat over from the other location. At some point maybe a divorce the Fat Boys was taken out of the name and someone started the Fat Boys chain.
    I still like Sonny's but have to say some of the locations are simply not up to par.
    We do not have any Sonny's nearby but whenever we travel and I see one I'm tempted to stop.
    ChiTownDiner
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3010
    RE: Sonny's Real Pit Bar-B-Q 2007/10/14 10:41:39 (permalink)
    We ate often outside of Atlanta and found it reliable, clean and priced right.
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 13565
    RE: Sonny's Real Pit Bar-B-Q 2007/10/14 10:44:36 (permalink)
    They just closed one in Knoxville and by the looks of no busines, the other one may go soon.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    RibRater
    • Total Posts : 1862
    RE: Sonny's Real Pit Bar-B-Q 2007/10/14 10:59:17 (permalink)
    Paul, the funny thing about that is the locations in knoxville were the worst sonny's I've come across. All the meat (and especially the ribs of course) were always over cooked. I don't know why that's the case but I never got a good rib at either store. On the other hand, the store in Al's post and the mooresville nc location are always consistently good on their ribs.
    ces1948
    RE: Sonny's Real Pit Bar-B-Q 2007/10/14 11:10:41 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Sundancer7

They just closed one in Knoxville and by the looks of no busines, the other one may go soon.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN

Paul:
    The one in west Knoxville was one of the "not up to par" locations I was speaking of. Is that the one that closed? I've never tried the one in Maryville is it still open?
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 13565
    RE: Sonny's Real Pit Bar-B-Q 2007/10/14 12:07:34 (permalink)
    The one in west Knoxville is still barely open and the one in Maryville closed and it is now a bank.

Both stunk in my personal opinion.

Knoxville has no really good BBQ.

If you ever stop at Buddy's, I suggest you get a whole butt. They are very good and are delivered directly out of the smoker very hot, blackened and tender. That is the best thing Buddy's has. It is $5.00 per pound and a whole one is about five pounds.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    BT
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3589
    RE: Sonny's Real Pit Bar-B-Q 2007/10/14 13:19:05 (permalink)
    I eat at the Sonny's on Rt. 1 in Ormond Beach fairly often when I'm in town visiting my family all of whom live there. I like their pork sandwiches which is about all I ever get.

I was also a regular at Fat Boy's on highway 441 (13th St) in Gainesville between 1971 and 1973 when I was a resident at Shands Hospital there. I remember the place very fondly but I wasn't aware of the connection to the modern day Sonny's.

PS: If you like Sonny's sandwiches and have access to Trader Joe's, get some TJ's "carnitas" (essentially, that's roasted pork), nuke it warm and slice it onto a bun, add your favorite BBQ sauce (and, IMHO, some cole slaw) and you've got a close approximation.
    RibRater
    RE: Sonny's Real Pit Bar-B-Q 2007/10/14 14:31:24 (permalink)
    hey ces..slightly OT but did you get to 12bones? i picked up a rack of brown sugar and a rack of chipotle ribs yesterday.

roossy90
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6695
    RE: Sonny's Real Pit Bar-B-Q 2007/10/14 14:39:38 (permalink)
    I love Sonnys.. Its been a year and half since I had any, but I love their ribs and sliced pork and beef sandwiches. They also make a smoking hot BBQ sauce.. almost too hot...I think there are "co. owned" and franchises.
    These are the ribs that I miss and have not found since living in South Carolina.
    I wish there was one near me...

I used to go to the one in Merritt Island, and then at the one in Cocoa Beach, the prices were different and wasnt as good as the one in Merritt Island..

Closest one to me is 4 hours away.. Boo....
    Benjy loved it when I went there!...
    ces1948
    RE: Sonny's Real Pit Bar-B-Q 2007/10/14 16:32:15 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Larry - RibRater - Jay

hey ces..slightly OT but did you get to 12bones? i picked up a rack of brown sugar and a rack of chipotle ribs yesterday.

Larry: I was actually there yesterday (Saturday) for the third Sat in a row. Didn't think too highly of it yesterday but I'm going to reserve judgment because I'm on some medication right now and nothing tastes that good to me.
    RibRater
    RE: Sonny's Real Pit Bar-B-Q 2007/10/14 16:37:06 (permalink)
    how were the other two saturdays?

ces1948
    RE: Sonny's Real Pit Bar-B-Q 2007/10/14 17:56:25 (permalink)
    quote:

how were the other two saturdays?

Very good, I had the pulled pork each time and added 3 ribs (brown sugar) last week (just average)For sides we've had the green beans which my wife loved, the 3 cheese mashed potatos, the jalapeno cheese grits, the corn pudding and the smoked beans.
    Woo
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 64
    RE: Sonny's Real Pit Bar-B-Q 2007/10/16 20:57:50 (permalink)
    Sonny's is my husband's absolute favorite BBQ and when we lived in FL. he frequented the one on Rt. 1 also (Hi BT). We are not near one now, but have a gallon jug of their sweet BBQ sauce in our frig now for him to use. If I pick up some BBQ'd on the grill chicken from the local Gerber Chicken place (they cook out and sell to the public), and he puts Sonny's sauce on it, he says that's almost as good as being as Sonny's.
    mgyip
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 14
    RE: Sonny's Real Pit Bar-B-Q 2007/10/17 09:38:24 (permalink)
    We manage to visit Sonny's on International Speedway Blvd every year when we're racing at the support races for the Rolex 24 in Daytona. The food has been consistently good and they're willing to endure our entire team after a long day in the pits

Their portions are good sized and even our big-eaters are satisfied when they waddle out the door - I'm partial to the brisket personally...
    ces1948
    RE: Sonny's Real Pit Bar-B-Q 2007/10/17 09:45:00 (permalink)
    Sonny's used to have some great deals many years back like all you can eat ribs with a couple of sides for about $7 and you could throw in a salad bar for another couple of bucks.
    ayersian
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 903
    RE: Sonny's Real Pit Bar-B-Q 2007/10/17 09:53:53 (permalink)
    Nowadays, Sonny's is a joke in real BBQ country in North and South Carolina. Growing up in the Charlotte area, Sonny's was the only convenient BBQ place near us. I enjoyed their sliced BBQ and tangy sauce w/ garlic toast (a lunch special, as I recall), but that was 20+ years ago. The last time I visited a store (in Myrtle Beach), the pork was gristly, and the sauce wasn't as good as I remembered. I'll never go back, what with the prominence of local BBQ joints in the Carolinas. Sadly, they've opened one in my hometown of Rock Hill, SC, but my folks tell me that only tourists eat there because of its adverts on I-77 and quick on/off location.
    jajarino68
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 154
    RE: Sonny's Real Pit Bar-B-Q 2007/10/17 11:12:20 (permalink)

I think Sonny's always offered a good value for your money. It's not top of the line BBQ, but it suffices to me. I was dissapointed to see the one in Maryville go away. They did have a fire in that store and that probably was the decision not to re-open.

I don't care for Buddy's. Never have liked it.
    RibRater
    RE: Sonny's Real Pit Bar-B-Q 2007/10/17 11:45:52 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by ayersian

Nowadays, Sonny's is a joke in real BBQ country in North and South Carolina. Growing up in the Charlotte area, Sonny's was the only convenient BBQ place near us. I enjoyed their sliced BBQ and tangy sauce w/ garlic toast (a lunch special, as I recall), but that was 20+ years ago. The last time I visited a store (in Myrtle Beach), the pork was gristly, and the sauce wasn't as good as I remembered. I'll never go back, what with the prominence of local BBQ joints in the Carolinas. Sadly, they've opened one in my hometown of Rock Hill, SC, but my folks tell me that only tourists eat there because of its adverts on I-77 and quick on/off location.

I've eaten at well over 100 "local" bbq establishments in the south in my life time and a full 80%+ serve "just food". An overwhelming number of bbq restaurants in the south are not serving good que or decent products/dishes either.

Is Sonny's good que? Compared to many of the mom and pops, many sonny's turn out a good, consistent product. Some are not so good. But as a whole, they are certainly not considered a joke by any southerner I know.

(If I ever happen through rock hill again I'll be sure to hit the Sonny's or keep driving...not exactly a mecca of good bbq.

)
    Oneiron339
    • Total Posts : 2075
    RE: Sonny's Real Pit Bar-B-Q 2007/10/17 17:02:07 (permalink)
    We go to Sonny's on occasion if there is not a famous roadfood BBQ place nearby our travels - mostly because Mrs. Oneiron can get a decent salad. They have decent sweet tea also.
    roossy90
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6695
    RE: Sonny's Real Pit Bar-B-Q 2007/10/17 19:05:10 (permalink)
    quote:

There is no Sonnys in Myrtle Beach.
    I wish there were.
    rmcielwain
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 618
    RE: Sonny's Real Pit Bar-B-Q 2007/10/17 19:16:57 (permalink)

Have never been to Sonny's (closest is 25 miles to the east), but they have
    catered the dinner for our 20th & 25th HS Reunions. Pulled pork, sides &
    cobbler were very good, as well as the staff from Sonny's who brought the food
    over & set everything up!
    BT
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3589
    RE: Sonny's Real Pit Bar-B-Q 2007/10/18 16:22:50 (permalink)
    For any of you in the Daytona/Ormond area (hi Woo!), you might try Dustin's just for variety. It's on Highway 40 in front of Lowe's (east of and on the other side of the road from Wal-Mart). I find it pretty similar to Sonny's but usually less busy and they usually offer you a drink refill "to go". I'm a HUGE iced tea drinker and really enjoy getting a mega-refill to take out to the car. They are nice folks.
    John A
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4295
    RE: Sonny's Real Pit Bar-B-Q 2007/10/19 06:45:05 (permalink)
    The family that owns Dustin's owned a number of Sonny's. When the first one opened in Port Orange I recognized most of the employees from the Sonny's on Ridgewood Avenue in South Daytona. They have four locations, each owned by a family member. Do not know about the Ormond location but the one in Port Orange has gone downhill since opening. We stopped going there about a year ago, back to Sonny's for us.
    sonjaab
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 193
    RE: Sonny's Real Pit Bar-B-Q 2007/10/22 00:09:12 (permalink)
    John.......You live in Port Orange? I have a winter place there.
    Whats that storefront BBQ place in the strip center on
    Nova rd. called?
    John A
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4295
    RE: Sonny's Real Pit Bar-B-Q 2007/10/22 08:13:39 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by sonjaab

John.......You live in Port Orange? I have a winter place there.
    Whats that storefront BBQ place in the strip center on
    Nova rd. called?

Hi sonjaab. Where about on Nova is it located? I'm familiar with Woody's on north Nova but it's not a storefront. The only storefront I know of is at Dunlawton & Taylor Road. We tried it once, sorry to say that was enough.
    ayersian
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 903
    RE: Sonny's Real Pit Bar-B-Q 2007/10/22 09:35:29 (permalink)
    quote:

quote:

I've eaten at well over 100 "local" bbq establishments in the south in my life time and a full 80%+ serve "just food". An overwhelming number of bbq restaurants in the south are not serving good que or decent products/dishes either.

Is Sonny's good que? Compared to many of the mom and pops, many sonny's turn out a good, consistent product. Some are not so good. But as a whole, they are certainly not considered a joke by any southerner I know.

(If I ever happen through rock hill again I'll be sure to hit the Sonny's or keep driving...not exactly a mecca of good bbq.

)

I agree, RibRater, that Rock Hill is not a mecca of anything anymore (expect maybe urban sprawl). When I was growing up, there were 3-4 fish camps that specialized in salt 'n' pepper catfish, but the good ones have been long closed, and the others have suffered from lack of quality. There was even a Carolina BBQ store (based in Gastonia, NC) up the street from my house -- and the 'que was decent -- but a fire gutted it 15+ years ago. I've heard about 521 BBQ on Hwy. 521 in Indian Land, and if it's as good as people say, then we'll review it after T-giving when we're down there.

Is Sonny's good 'que, though? It's fair, but it also depends on how far you're willing to go for the good stuff. Charlotte has several great BBQ joints -- and several Sonny's stores -- but every Carolinian has his/her own opinion. I know people who think a tomato-based BBQ sauce on pork is blasphemy...but to each his own.
    Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1