Hot!Southwest Ohio and Environs (Open Chat)

Page: 12345.. > >> Showing page 1 of 30
Author
NYPIzzaNut
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3146
2009/07/01 14:04:07 (permalink)

Southwest Ohio and Environs (Open Chat)

For those of you who may be interested I go out to lunch weekly with friends from greater Cinci and Dayton areas.  I now live in Sardinia in Brown County, at Lake Waynoka.

I have lived in greater Cinci since 1977 - first in Mt Washington and then in Westwood.

I am from Yonkers NY originally ( born in Manhattan and lived in the Bronx and Corona Queens as a babe and toddler - moved to Yonkers in 1949).  I have also lived in Alabama from 1970 - 1977.

So my  food ideas come from this background and the lunch companions I eat with weekly.

Our group has changed since 2000 when we first began it - it is known as the Lunchbunch.  The members are from Paris TN and  Enosburg Falls VT and Detroit MI ( and me from Yonkers mainly ) originally - to give you some idea about our food preferences etc.

I have posted on the the Cinci and Dayton threads about our visits to restaurants in this area of the country in the past but through some discussion etc it seems best to put our meandering lunches in a separate thread - I hesitated to do this simply because I thought it might confuse members but my idea at the moment is to put our lunch visits here and pretty well not on the other two threads for this area of the country but I will continue to post there on a more general basis for the most part - where appropriate.

Our lunch tomorrow will be at:

http://www.olegstavern.com/About_Us.html

Oleg's Tavern is a family owned and operated restaurant located at
11929 Montgomery Rd. Cincinnati OH 45249

Our Mission is to provide a unique environment to have a delicious homemade natural meal, prepared especially for you! We also have wonderful custom prepared dinners, made just for your tastes. We will make the breakfast, lunch and dinner experience for every customer as enjoyable as possible! 

At the Oleg's Tavern, we strive to serve our guests fresh, antibiotic-free ingredients.  We want the true flavor of Chef Oleg’s German cuisine to speak for itself.  Thank you for helping us achieve our very own American Dream.  We are grateful. 
                                                                                   –Oleg and Olena Makhayev

Since 2000 we have been to hundreds of places around the area including N Ky and SE In.

Some places we repeat because they are so good - but not too often - as the consensus seems to be to find new experiences.  It can be a trying ordeal at times but sometimes we luck into a new wonder.

I would be more than willing to share our food experiences with anyone here who might be interested.

Being from diverse backgrounds our Lunchbunch often differ on their opinions of the food we eat (we generally share most all the dishes we order).
post edited by NYPIzzaNut - 2009/07/01 21:08:19

892 Replies Related Threads

NYPIzzaNut
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Southwest Ohio and Environs 2009/07/01 14:14:26 (permalink)
    I can see I already started out poorly - putting this thread in the wrong forum!

Would a mod please move this to the right forum?  Thanks.

http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/Where-Should-I-Eat-f20.aspx
    Russ Jackson
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2257
    Re:Southwest Ohio and Environs 2009/07/01 15:22:42 (permalink)
    This looks to be a great thread. Good diverse group of attendees. Great Idea...Russ
    TJ Jackson
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4591
    Re:Southwest Ohio and Environs 2009/07/01 15:27:38 (permalink)
    What part of Mt Washington did you once live in, and what was your favorite Mt Washington-area eatery at that time?

(mind you - I and fellow Roadfood member wesleyman both live in Mt Washington currently, in fact just a block or two apart)
    NYPIzzaNut
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Southwest Ohio and Environs 2009/07/01 16:23:25 (permalink)
    We lived on Oxford Ave at the top  of Beechmont crest - with Stanbury Park right in our backyard.

One of our favorites in Mt Washington - as I believe I mentioned on your Cinci thread - was Mio's Pizza on Salem Ave.

But over the years they changed how they made their pizzas, from what was truly fantastic NY style pizza pie to something worse than you get at Domino's and other chain pizza places.

I could not believe the change - I actually found out about it shortly after we moved to the west side of town when we ventured into the local Mio's there circa 1985.

We loved the chili parlors as do many Cinci folks - we used to eat downtown a lot too since my wife and I were working there at that time - but so much has changed there over the decades in the food scene - we virtually never go downtown anymore - given our Brown Co location etc and the fact both of us  being retired.
    NYPIzzaNut
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Southwest Ohio and Environs 2009/07/01 16:25:12 (permalink)
    Russ Jackson

This looks to be a great thread. Good diverse group of attendees. Great Idea...Russ

I hope it pleases our members and does not confuse them as to the number of threads for this area of the state of Ohio.

NYPIzzaNut
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Southwest Ohio and Environs 2009/07/01 16:45:08 (permalink)
    This past Saturday my wife and I had lunch at The Home Place in Georgetown, Ohio.

They began their summer session of BBQ marinated chicken being offered to go or eat at their picnic tables (for sale by the Mennonite family who run and own this furniture/gift/bakery/deli operation).

It was very good along with the homemade pies and ice cream.  The sides of baked beans and cole slaw were bland though and still need a wee bit of work.

I will be posting photos shortly.
    NYPIzzaNut
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Southwest Ohio and Environs 2009/07/01 17:27:07 (permalink)
    Following are photos taken this past Saturday at the Home Place in Georgetown at their first of the summer Saturday BBQ chicken lunches - served from 1030 AM to 3 PM:

...the servers who greet you..and sign with prices ...members of the Mennonite family who own and operate the store

..the food offerings

...the customer area for purchase of  picnic food

..part of the picnic area

..the newly installed deli counter area of store

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Home Place is located:

Home Place
    7771 US Highway 68
    Georgetown, OH 45121-9347

(937) 378-3400‎

Closed on Sundays.  Open for the 4th of July.

post edited by NYPIzzaNut - 2009/07/01 17:34:34
    NYPIzzaNut
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Southwest Ohio and Environs 2009/07/01 18:51:53 (permalink)
    One of my stops tomorrow on the way to lunch:

http://www.cincinnatiusa.com/dining/detail.asp?RestID=1128
    Marx Hot Bagels
    9701 Kenwood Road
    Cincinnati, OH  45242

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

IMHO the best NY style bagels and bialys outside of The Bronx!
    We always stock up there for our bagel and bialy needs when coming into Cinci.
    NYPIzzaNut
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Southwest Ohio and Environs 2009/07/01 19:02:30 (permalink)
    Just as  point of clarification - it is not the intent of this thread to be for the posting our group's lunch experiences etc only.

Anyone who chooses to can feel free to talk about restaurants  they encounter in this area of country also - or post on the greater Cinci and Dayton threads here as we have done in the past.

This thread stands apart from these two in that it covers a greater geographic area than the two other more city/suburb  oriented threads.

More rural areas will be covered here but also many restaurants etc all over the greater Cinci/Daytons areas will be featured and discussed.

I hope you join in the discussions and we learn about the wonderful food in this area of the country that is available.

I have a Mennonite family /friend for instance who bakes for us the best white/wheat bread I have ever tasted, who live on the outskirts of Russelville.   She also makes exceptionally good pies, cakes and cookies.

If anyone is interested in sampling what she makes please contact me by PM.

The Home Place also makes wonderful baked goods by the way.

post edited by NYPIzzaNut - 2009/07/01 19:03:49
    NYPIzzaNut
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Southwest Ohio and Environs 2009/07/01 19:11:05 (permalink)
    If you want to get away from it all and go to a country inn for the weekend or whenever we love this place:

http://www.thinkaboutinns.com/murphinridge.htm

Not cheap but some of the best food and quietude you could ever dream of.  World class chef always doing the cooking.

Murphin Ridge Inn, West Union, Ohio

brittneal
    • Total Posts : 1265
    Re:Southwest Ohio and Environs 2009/07/01 21:35:18 (permalink)
    If you took the picture Of Max Bagels and compared it to the one in Middletown you would think it the same place.
    NYPIzzaNut
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Southwest Ohio and Environs 2009/07/01 21:37:14 (permalink)
    How are their bagels and bialys?
    Delilah77
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 31
    Re:Southwest Ohio and Environs 2009/07/02 11:28:09 (permalink)
    I had lunch last week at Nick's American Cafe (formerly Cleve's Drive In). They have added a bar and updated the decor a bit but the food is still wonderful. This is not, and has not been in the 4 years I've dined there, a drive-in or diner type restaurant. They serve sandwiches, fried chicken, seafood, and breakfast all day.

On this last trip I had an omelet with chorizo. It came with toast and homefries. The omelet was too large for me to finish. Perfectly cooked, and full of chorizo, peppers, onions, and pepper jack cheese.

My husband had the berry pie for dessert. I had a bite and it tasted delicious and obviously homemade.
    NYPIzzaNut
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Southwest Ohio and Environs 2009/07/02 20:06:25 (permalink)
    Is this the cafe just down the street from the community center?

It is nice to see chorizo on their menu.
    NYPIzzaNut
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Southwest Ohio and Environs (Open Chat) 2009/07/02 20:11:33 (permalink)
    NYPIzzaNut

For those of you who may be interested I go out to lunch weekly with friends from greater Cinci and Dayton areas.  I now live in Sardinia in Brown County, at Lake Waynoka.

I have lived in greater Cinci since 1977 - first in Mt Washington and then in Westwood.

I am from Yonkers NY originally ( born in Manhattan and lived in the Bronx and Corona Queens as a babe and toddler - moved to Yonkers in 1949).  I have also lived in Alabama from 1970 - 1977.

So my  food ideas come from this background and the lunch companions I eat with weekly.

Our group has changed since 2000 when we first began it - it is known as the Lunchbunch.  The members are from Paris TN and  Enosburg Falls VT and Detroit MI ( and me from Yonkers mainly ) originally - to give you some idea about our food preferences etc.

I have posted on the the Cinci and Dayton threads about our visits to restaurants in this area of the country in the past but through some discussion etc it seems best to put our meandering lunches in a separate thread - I hesitated to do this simply because I thought it might confuse members but my idea at the moment is to put our lunch visits here and pretty well not on the other two threads for this area of the country but I will continue to post there on a more general basis for the most part - where appropriate.

Our Mission is to provide a unique environment to have a delicious homemade natural meal, prepared especially for you! We also have wonderful custom prepared dinners, made just for your tastes. We will make the breakfast, lunch and dinner experience for every customer as enjoyable as possible! 

At the Oleg's Tavern, we strive to serve our guests fresh, antibiotic-free ingredients.  We want the true flavor of Chef Oleg’s German cuisine to speak for itself.  Thank you for helping us achieve our very own American Dream.  We are grateful. 
                                                                                      –Oleg and Olena Makhayev

Since 2000 we have been to hundreds of places around the area including N Ky and SE In.

Some places we repeat because they are so good - but not too often - as the consensus seems to be to find new experiences.  It can be a trying ordeal at times but sometimes we luck into a new wonder.

I would be more than willing to share our food experiences with anyone here who might be interested.

Being from diverse backgrounds our Lunchbunch often differ on their opinions of the food we eat (we generally share most all the dishes we order).
    Oleg's Tavern was a wonderful experience for our lunch group today!  Details and photos follow - there is also a new Asian place right across the street featuring Vietnamese, Thai, Japanese and Korean food by the name of Mai Thai Asian Cuisine and Grill.  We got some takeout there and I will comment on their food too.

Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18483
    Re:Southwest Ohio and Environs 2009/07/02 20:54:11 (permalink)
    NYPIzzaNut

IMHO the best NY style bagels and bialys outside of The Bronx!

I take it you've never been to Block's Bagels in Columbus for bagels and bialys.

NYPIzzaNut
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Southwest Ohio and Environs 2009/07/02 21:00:13 (permalink)
    Nope - you been to Marx's in Cinti?  (Let's not go out of the territory this thread pertains to please, mi amigo).
    NYPIzzaNut
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Southwest Ohio and Environs 2009/07/04 17:22:23 (permalink)

NYPIzzaNut
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Southwest Ohio and Environs 2009/07/04 18:07:23 (permalink)
    The first composite features also the wonderful warm German potato salad - the two small dishes above the crab cakes - called wonderful by two of our three critics - I found it too sweet - I love it more tart - as I got it from Lorenzen's Deli on Yonkers Ave in Yonkers when I was growing there.  But it was tasty still, and I sure did not leave any on my plate.

I simply adored their food overall and especially loved the soup.

The composites feature my photos that day but the composites were photoshopped by one of my other amigos, who posts here nowadays on rare occasions.
    NYPIzzaNut
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Southwest Ohio and Environs (Open Chat) 2009/07/05 19:40:38 (permalink)
    NYPIzzaNut

NYPIzzaNut

–Oleg and Olena Makhayev

Oleg's Tavern was a wonderful experience for our lunch group today!  Details and photos follow - there is also a new Asian place right across the street featuring Vietnamese, Thai, Japanese and Korean food by the name of Mai Thai Asian Cuisine and Grill.  We got some takeout there and I will comment on their food too.

All 5 reports are in now on the take out food we got at Mai Thai, 11928 Montgomery Rd, Cincinnati  - 2 pho soup orders, 1 pad thai, soft shell crab and a sushi roll.

They range from awful to terrible to garbage.

A big mistake venturing across the street from Oleg's to check them out and actually ordering food there.

You live and learn.

donw9876
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 295
    Re:Southwest Ohio and Environs (Open Chat) 2009/07/06 13:03:18 (permalink)
    Pizza nut, did that "Mai Thai" used to be called "Delight"? The address matches. It used to get good reviews.
    NYPIzzaNut
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Southwest Ohio and Environs (Open Chat) 2009/07/06 13:17:47 (permalink)
    I do not know anything about them but that they have been at the location about 2 months according to the hostess who helped us with our take out orders.
    stricken_detective
    • Total Posts : 2330
    Re:Southwest Ohio and Environs (Open Chat) 2009/07/06 15:15:25 (permalink)
    The only restaurant I remember from when we lived in OH (1987) is Casa Lupita. They had a HUGE seafood salad.
    brittneal
    • Total Posts : 1265
    Re:Southwest Ohio and Environs (Open Chat) 2009/07/06 16:05:16 (permalink)

Its nice to see reports from SWOhio that isnt mostly all about pizza joints
    NYPIzzaNut
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Southwest Ohio and Environs (Open Chat) 2009/07/06 22:41:30 (permalink)
    We don't visit many pizzerias with our lunchbunch group - I do pick up takeout pizzas though - from Troni's in Kettering - and Dewey's around Cinci - when our travels take us nearby their locations.

As a matter of fact I picked up a nice Dewey's cheese pizza from their Montgomery location on the way back from Oleg's - now that I recall. 

I even took a photo of it - to share with you fine folks:

Thanks for the reminder brittneal.

And it was perfect as usual.

Soccer862923
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 208
    Re:Southwest Ohio and Environs (Open Chat) 2009/07/07 07:36:04 (permalink)
    stricken_detective

The only restaurant I remember from when we lived in OH (1987) is Casa Lupita. They had a HUGE seafood salad.

Oh my lord I haven't heard that name in years. They had the best breakfast brunch when I was a kid and I was devastated when they closed. Wow that brings back memories.
    NYPIzzaNut
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Southwest Ohio and Environs (Open Chat) 2009/07/08 09:38:22 (permalink)
    Soccer862923

stricken_detective

Oh my lord I haven't heard that name in years. They had the best breakfast brunch when I was a kid and I was devastated when they closed. Wow that brings back memories.

I have lived in or around Cinci since 1977 but I somehow missed this place.

My favorite breakfast is blueberry pancakes at:

http://www.originalpancakehouse.com/

Montgomery
    9977 Montgomery Road
    Montgomery, Ohio 45242
    513-745-0555

..this blog gives a great overview of their food in case you are not  familiar with this wonder:

http://www.whitecarrot.com/2009/03/the-original-pancake-house/

post edited by NYPIzzaNut - 2009/07/08 09:43:45
    TJ Jackson
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4591
    Re:Southwest Ohio and Environs (Open Chat) 2009/07/08 10:10:40 (permalink)
    Not to mention the reviews on this very site :-)

http://www.roadfood.com/Restaurant/Reviews/1327/original-pancake-house
    http://www.roadfood.com/Restaurant/Reviews/1501/original-pancake-house

This is also my wife's favorite local breakfast. 
    post edited by TJ Jackson - 2009/07/08 13:09:10
    ZoomGoesTheBill
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 2
    Re:Southwest Ohio and Environs (Open Chat) 2009/07/08 12:35:53 (permalink)
    TJ Jackson

Not to mention the reviews on this very site :-)

http://www.roadfood.com/Restaurant/Reviews/1327/original-pancake-house
    http://www.roadfood.com/Restaurant/Reviews/1501/original-pancake-house

This is also my wife's favorite local breakfast.  Favorite overall is Pamela's in Pittsburgh.

Speaking of Pittsburgh, what's the best place to get a NY Style Pizza there?
    Page: 12345.. > >> Showing page 1 of 30
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1