Hot!Spring Fling for the Milwaukee/Chicago Contingent (and anyone else who want to join in)

Page: << < ..6789 > Showing page 8 of 9
Author
abe_froeman
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 705
Re:Spring Fling for the Milwaukee/Chicago Contingent (and anyone else who want to join in) 2009/04/21 00:19:48 (permalink)
He gave it to me because he knew you'd lose it...no where did I put it?

That building you posted a pic of is the Sears Tower.  Hancock is the straight-up-and-down, slightly tapered on on the north end of the skyline.

We definitely need to go back to that mariscos place with the shark on the roof- in the summer, outside with some Coronas or tequila shots.  Mmmmm........I could organize a re-do of the Central American/Caribbean food tour I did with a few friends a couple years back.  That could be the end-of-the-night place.
stricken_detective
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2330
Re:Spring Fling for the Milwaukee/Chicago Contingent (and anyone else who want to join in) 2009/04/21 09:28:16 (permalink)
^^I like her idea! Bring on the Patron! Thanks for help with the pics.

JRPfeff, we really didn't eat anything that bad on Saturday. Think about it, lots of healthy animal proteins, not very many carbs. At least that's what I'm telling myself when I get on the scale tonight after swimming.

abe_froeman
Double Cheeseburger
Re:Spring Fling for the Milwaukee/Chicago Contingent (and anyone else who want to join in) 2009/04/21 15:47:29 (permalink)
Stricken, the place with the shark on the roof is not called Langostinos, as you'd think by the sign....any ideas where that was?
CajunKing
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6383
Re:Spring Fling for the Milwaukee/Chicago Contingent (and anyone else who want to join in) 2009/04/21 16:21:14 (permalink)
WOW, what a trip

Buddy looks like you out did yourself on this event.  Wonderful places, Wonderful food, Wonderful friends.

As a native Chicagonian (Chicagonite), well Dupage County hospital.  It was great to see my native town through your all eyes.

Thanks for sharing

CTD - You Rock, you got your name on the wall at Hot Doug's and an encased meat yummy in your honor.

BuddyRoadhouse
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4213
Re:Spring Fling for the Milwaukee/Chicago Contingent (and anyone else who want to join in) 2009/04/21 17:59:51 (permalink)
abe_froemanStricken, the place with the shark on the roof is not called Langostinos, as you'd think by the sign....any ideas where that was?
It was near the corner of Damen and Archer, on Damen, just before we turned the corner to head towards Gertie's.

Buddy

BuddyRoadhouse
Filet Mignon
Re:Spring Fling for the Milwaukee/Chicago Contingent (and anyone else who want to join in) 2009/04/21 18:04:12 (permalink)
CajunKingCTD - You Rock, you got your name on the wall at Hot Doug's and an encased meat yummy in your honor.
ChiTownDiner does indeed ROCK!  We expect him to get well ASAP so he can continue his travels with our motley pack as we explore the Roadfood wonderment of northeastern Illinois and southeastern Wiconsin.

What's the hold up, dude?!?  I've got a Kopp's Velvet Cake custard cone melting all over my hand waiting for you...

Buddy
stricken_detective
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2330
Re:Spring Fling for the Milwaukee/Chicago Contingent (and anyone else who want to join in) 2009/04/21 19:05:26 (permalink)
BuddyRoadhouse

abe_froemanStricken, the place with the shark on the roof is not called Langostinos, as you'd think by the sign....any ideas where that was?
It was near the corner of Damen and Archer, on Damen, just before we turned the corner to head towards Gertie's.

Buddy

I'm so glad you knew, I was going to say, "Ask Karen!"

Here's hoping for a speedy recovery for ChiTownDiner so that he may join us later this summer on more fun excursions.
CajunKing
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6383
Re:Spring Fling for the Milwaukee/Chicago Contingent (and anyone else who want to join in) 2009/04/21 20:42:16 (permalink)
irisarbor
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 609
Re:Spring Fling for the Milwaukee/Chicago Contingent (and anyone else who want to join in) 2009/04/21 21:02:05 (permalink)
Oh my, I'm sorry I haven't posted yet, but work's been insane!
With one person on vaca, and another position vacant, I'm working for 3, and it's cutting into my web browsing time, (can you IMAGINE!!!)

Anyhow, we all had a FABulous time,
and were full for most of Sunday as well..
and Son #1 who was boy scout camping was SO happy to have the leftovers to try when he came home Sunday night, he said he felt like he was roadfooding in leftovers...

Thanks again to Buddy for his superior organizational skills, and it was so great to see old friends and to meet new ones.  Finally meeting the legendary buffetbuster at the end of the evening was the perfect capper to the day. 

We all send out hearty Get well wishes to CTD and look forward to seeing him soon.
BuddyRoadhouse
Filet Mignon
Re:Spring Fling for the Milwaukee/Chicago Contingent (and anyone else who want to join in) 2009/04/21 21:12:32 (permalink)
CajunKingI found your shark place

http://www.yelp.com/biz/la-palapa-chicago
That's the place!  Except they've added a giant fiberglass shark to the roof now.  This place totally looks like a Roadfood summer excursion.

Smells like sometime in July to me.  Time to start a new thread???

Buddy

abe_froeman
Double Cheeseburger
Re:Spring Fling for the Milwaukee/Chicago Contingent (and anyone else who want to join in) 2009/04/21 22:07:50 (permalink)
I'd be happy to start up the next one and July sounds good- maybe late June?  That way it's spaced out a little with nocarolina's meet-up?

A few years ago, some friends and I (just 4 of us) did a central American/Caribbean trip.  We went to a Jamaican place, Puerto Rican, Costa Rican and Cuban.  I'd probably change a couple of the places from where we went to, but I'd definitely make La Palapa the last stop!

I'll start a new thread to make official decisions, if people are interested.
BuddyRoadhouse
Filet Mignon
Re:Spring Fling for the Milwaukee/Chicago Contingent (and anyone else who want to join in) 2009/04/21 22:15:28 (permalink)
Maybe I'm gettin' old, but after the bloat I experienced on the last tour, I'd favor a shorter list with longer stops at fewer places.  Maybe two or three places tops.

Yer aging Dad,

Buddy
MilwFoodlovers
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3147
Re:Spring Fling for the Milwaukee/Chicago Contingent (and anyone else who want to join in) 2009/04/21 22:19:57 (permalink)
Lth didn't have too much to say but this wonderful picture.

We gotta try it.
JRPfeff
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2614
Re:Spring Fling for the Milwaukee/Chicago Contingent (and anyone else who want to join in) 2009/04/21 22:22:58 (permalink)
As we discussed with Karen, the Cheeseheads in my car had thoughts of a Best of Chicago Italian Food Tour.  Only instead of a tour, we send different groups to different restaurants to pick up carryout and bring it all back to one central location to eat.  I guess that makes it a Best of Chicago Italian Food Scavenger Hunt. 

That's my (and Karen's) 2 cents worth.

Jim
ChiTownDiner
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2922
Re:Spring Fling for the Milwaukee/Chicago Contingent (and anyone else who want to join in) 2009/04/21 22:29:14 (permalink)
Hello Spring Flingers -

Well...where to start...first, congratulations on a mighty fine looking adventure.  That was some itinerary Buddy set you guys up with.  I've followed every picture and comment...what fun!

Thanks Buddy for all the organizing and keeping me up-to-date.  Much appreciated!  Thanks also for the behind the scenes work with Hot Doug...that was some surprise!  I printed off a few copies of that one and have sent Doug an email thank you.

Nice to see Cliff and Steve...hope the kolaches were a suitable base for the remainder of the day!

Jim, that's a mighty special offer...we'll see how things are a going later on but a Milwaukee or Wisconsin trip is high on my to do list.  Thanks!
What I love about this group is  - there's already three more outings in the pipeline!  The Smoke Day Fefftival, the South American and the Southside - Fantastic! 

Finally - a special thanks for the kind words and messages...I really have enjoyed them all.

See you all on the road real soon...

CTD

Abe - Get that next thread started...it really is my therapy!

abe_froeman
Double Cheeseburger
Re:Spring Fling for the Milwaukee/Chicago Contingent (and anyone else who want to join in) 2009/04/21 22:32:21 (permalink)
BuddyRoadhouse

Maybe I'm gettin' old, but after the bloat I experienced on the last tour, I'd favor a shorter list with longer stops at fewer places.  Maybe two or three places tops.

Yer aging Dad,

Buddy

I agree- I think I'd rather do only two or three places before La Palapa.  Maybe just Costa Rican and one other place, TBD.  Unless someone has a must have they'd like to suggest....ok, off to start the thread in a moment.
abe_froeman
Double Cheeseburger
Re:Spring Fling for the Milwaukee/Chicago Contingent (and anyone else who want to join in) 2009/04/21 22:43:49 (permalink)
Post so nice, I posted it twice!
carolina bob
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3420
Re:Spring Fling for the Milwaukee/Chicago Contingent (and anyone else who want to join in) 2009/04/21 22:51:26 (permalink)
I've just discovered that La Palapa is in the building that, for many years, was known as Ajay's Hot Dogs. When I was still working at the Amtrak rail yard on Roosevelt Road, Ajay's was one of my regular lunch stops. They had good hot dogs and italian beefs, as well as some very tasty chili. Ajay's went out of business about three or four years ago, and I still miss the place.
BuddyRoadhouse
Filet Mignon
Re:Spring Fling for the Milwaukee/Chicago Contingent (and anyone else who want to join in) 2009/04/21 22:59:06 (permalink)
JRPfeffAs we discussed with Karen, the Cheeseheads in my car had thoughts of a Best of Chicago Italian Food Tour.  Only instead of a tour, we send different groups to different restaurants to pick up carryout and bring it all back to one central location to eat.  I guess that makes it a Best of Chicago Italian Food Scavenger Hunt. 
I like this idea.  We'll need to come up with a central location (perhaps easier said than done) for the final meet-up and eat-up.  We'll need to pick the places we want to visit.  And we'll need to pick a time of the year that won't bunch up too close to the other three outings we currently have in the works.  Oy.

Still, it's all doable, and I would be a happy participant.

Fresh thread, anyone?  Any volunteers for a chairperson?

Buddy

P.S. BTW, Other than JRPfeff's Smoke Day Celebration, we don't have any outings planned for the Cheesehead side of Russell Road.  What gives?

B.
post edited by BuddyRoadhouse - 2009/04/21 23:00:57
X1
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 942
Re:Spring Fling for the Milwaukee/Chicago Contingent (and anyone else who want to join in) 2009/04/22 09:22:24 (permalink)
BuddyRoadhouse

[

P.S. BTW, Other than JRPfeff's Smoke Day Celebration, we don't have any outings planned for the Cheesehead side of Russell Road.  What gives?

B.

Let me ponder on that for a bit.

I'm thinkin' Nite Owl as one of the stops, for sure, and maybe Leon's instead of (in addition to?) Kopp's. Field trip to El Rey? Outdoor seating at Slim McGinn's? Hmmm....

I agree with less stops with more time at each stop.

Also - I'm not too far from Nite Owl, so we can use the parking lot of my building as a place to meet up and combine cars, if needed.

PS - we could do a meet up at Summerfest (or one of the ethnic festivals), maybe....

BuddyRoadhouse
Filet Mignon
Re:Spring Fling for the Milwaukee/Chicago Contingent (and anyone else who want to join in) 2009/04/22 13:47:05 (permalink)
Any Sunday hours for Nite Owl, or do I need to take another Saturday night off from work?  Wouldn't mind another kringle hunt in Racine on the way up to Milwaukee.

Also, I got a hankerin' for a run out to Monroe for a Limburger sandwich.  Got some Chicago pals who would make the run with us if we went soon.  Or, maybe that's an autumn thing...

Buddy

P.S. Oh yeah, what about doing part of that run that JRPfeff did last year?  Twin Rivers?  What the heck was that?  Looked like some good stops on that one, too.

B.
post edited by BuddyRoadhouse - 2009/04/22 13:48:58
ScreamingChicken
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5045
Re:Spring Fling for the Milwaukee/Chicago Contingent (and anyone else who want to join in) 2009/04/22 13:53:37 (permalink)
Monroe's always a possibility for me, and a Sunday afternoon filled with Limburger, dark beer, and Jay Cutler shredding the Packer defense would probably be quite pleasant (and quite regretted the following morning).

Brad
MilwFoodlovers
Filet Mignon
Re:Spring Fling for the Milwaukee/Chicago Contingent (and anyone else who want to join in) 2009/04/22 14:37:34 (permalink)
The Nightowl is open Tuesday -Saturday 11am-6:30pm.

Jay Cutler couldn't shred toilet paper much less the Packer defense.

I love Monroe and New Glarus and while our weekends are filling up quickly with plans, I can squeeze in a trip to my favorite part of Wisconsin with maybe a first stop in South Beloit for that Miss Vikki's BBQ www.mystatelineshopper.com/content/3323 . I know of a Mennonite or Amish bulk foods/hand crafted wood item store, Kaufmann's, just west of Beloit that is worth a visit.
post edited by MilwFoodlovers - 2009/04/22 14:46:10
BuddyRoadhouse
Filet Mignon
Re:Spring Fling for the Milwaukee/Chicago Contingent (and anyone else who want to join in) 2009/04/22 16:39:29 (permalink)
Miss Vikki's BBQ?!?  Why Lordy, I had no idea such a place even existed.  In South Beloit no less!  I could be persuaded to make a day out of that, along with Baumgartner's and some outlet store cheese.

Buddy
carolina bob
Filet Mignon
Re:Spring Fling for the Milwaukee/Chicago Contingent (and anyone else who want to join in) 2009/04/22 20:10:44 (permalink)
Buddy, I just watched Miss Vicki's videos... man, I've just gotta have some of those ribs. They look soooo good ( that little boy sure seemed to be enjoying his. ) If y'all decide to make a roadtrip out to So. Beloit, is there any chance that I could tag along?   
BuddyRoadhouse
Filet Mignon
Re:Spring Fling for the Milwaukee/Chicago Contingent (and anyone else who want to join in) 2009/04/22 23:12:58 (permalink)
We'll keep you posted on any trips to south central Wisconsin.  We were all out there spring '08, and again for the Monroe Cheese Days Fest in September.  At this point it's just a glimmer of an idea, especially with all those other events in the planning stages.

Fear not though, we'll get back up there sooner or later.

Buddy
MilwFoodlovers
Filet Mignon
Re:Spring Fling for the Milwaukee/Chicago Contingent (and anyone else who want to join in) 2009/04/22 23:40:38 (permalink)
nocarolina

.....If y'all decide to make a roadtrip out to So. Beloit, is there any chance that I could tag along?   

Whhaaatttt????? Since when have excluded anyone much less you? If we go, of course you're invited.
That Q looks good.
If you enjoy cheese, I know a cheese store in Dodgeville just down the road, that has 11 year old cheddar at a price, that while not cheap, is cheap for 11 year old cheddar! It also has a tavern that serves up New Orleans vittles. Heading further SW into the little town of Muscoda is a cheesemaker that specializes in a wild morel and leek cheese. Great part of Wisconsin.
carolina bob
Filet Mignon
Re:Spring Fling for the Milwaukee/Chicago Contingent (and anyone else who want to join in) 2009/04/22 23:45:55 (permalink)
Thanks, MFL. I figured that was the case, but Ma and Pa taught me never to just assume anything.
irisarbor
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 609
Re:Spring Fling for the Milwaukee/Chicago Contingent (and anyone else who want to join in) 2009/04/23 21:27:20 (permalink)
If anyone want to check out yet more photos from Saturday, here are mine:
you should be able to see them even if you are not on Facebook:
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=243705&id=567000441&l=6b0978a9d0

BuddyRoadhouse
Filet Mignon
Re:Spring Fling for the Milwaukee/Chicago Contingent (and anyone else who want to join in) 2009/04/24 13:23:48 (permalink)
Just a quick note for all of last Saturday's attendees who spotted it: WGN-TV just did a story on "Felony Franks" the jail themed Hot Dog joint we passed on our way from (I believe) Borinquen to Ed's Pot Sticker House.  It will be open for business in about two weeks.  Their mission is to provide employment for ex-offenders who would otherwise have a tough time getting a job.  As part of their program, half of the profits will be split among the employees.

One of their signature sandwiches will be called "The Misdemeanor Wiener", a lesser dog named after a lesser crime...

Neighborhood opinions range from amusement to near outrage over the name and theme.

I kinda like it myself.

Buddy
Page: << < ..6789 > Showing page 8 of 9
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1