Venison/Pork Country Pate'......................

Author
rebeltruce
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 702
2013/10/20 12:20:40 (permalink)

Venison/Pork Country Pate'......................

Last year a good friend gave me a Venison Liver. I attempted to make a Pate' and failed miserably......my mistake was trusting a recipe I found online. It used cognac, and I think the proportions were way off. My friend just harvested a nice Virginia Doe yesterday and the Liver and heart are mine.

Going to add a bit of ground Venison as well as some ground Pork Butt for some fat.

Planning on two batches. One with nothing but Pepper, and a little ground Thyme and White Wine....1LB of liver, 1LB ground Venison, 1/2LB Pork and a little homemade cure.

The other batch, Herbes De Provence, 1/2LB Venison liver, 1/2LB Pork liver, 1/2LB ground Venison, a couple Tablespoons Cognac, and a few Pistachios, and a little homemade cure..

The liver will be processed until smooth and then the Herbs and alcohol added, then all mixed together with the ground meats. One batch will be cooked in six small loaf pans, the other in a larger loaf pan in a Bain marie in a 300-325 oven for a couple hours..

Looking for critics of my recipes.....picking up the offal this afternoon! Will post pictures.

The heart will be grilled rare this evening for dinner!

4 Replies Related Threads

lleechef
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7281
    Re:Venison/Pork Country Pate'...................... 2013/10/20 18:22:58 (permalink)
    You may want to add some finely chopped shallot sweated in a little butter and also a pinch of allspice or quatre epices.  Or not.....up to you, but the recipes look right on.....I'm sure they'll come out great.  Another thought......lay a few strips of bacon on top, the smokiness will not permeate the paté but will add a slight more depth to the overall taste.  Good luck!
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10353
    Re:Venison/Pork Country Pate'...................... 2013/10/20 18:51:53 (permalink)
    I've never made pate' but I've eaten plenty.
    You mentioned you found a recipe on line.
    I Googled Basic Venison liver pate' and quite a few web sites popped up.

rebeltruce
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 702
    Re:Venison/Pork Country Pate'...................... 2013/10/20 21:50:11 (permalink)
    lleechef

You may want to add some finely chopped shallot sweated in a little butter and also a pinch of allspice or quatre epices.  Or not.....up to you, but the recipes look right on.....I'm sure they'll come out great.  Another thought......lay a few strips of bacon on top, the smokiness will not permeate the paté but will add a slight more depth to the overall taste.  Good luck!

I did cover the top with some of my own home made bacon.......added a couple bay leaves and a sprig of rosemary, sort of tucked under the bacon..... They're cooling now, then into the fridge for a day or so....
    lleechef
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7281
    Re:Venison/Pork Country Pate'...................... 2013/10/20 22:50:58 (permalink)
    I think you are going to be very pleased with the results!!
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1