Yet another "Does anybody remember" query, this time about a novelty frozen pizza

Author
MissJohnnycakes
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 37
2014/01/21 23:06:54 (permalink)

Yet another "Does anybody remember" query, this time about a novelty frozen pizza

My brother and I used to love snacking on frozen pizza-ettes sold in the late 1960s. These pizza-ettes were round wheels small enough to fit one in each toaster slot. They had tiny breather holes poked in them but were fully encased so that no cheese or tomato sauce would drip into the toaster. We would pop them in to toast, and upon retrieving the toasted pizza-ette, slice them in half to make two open-faced pizza-ettes from it.

If you've seen Amy's toaster pizzas (resemble Pop-Tarts), you get the general idea. But the ones I remember were round and thicker, designed to slice in half as described above.

13 Replies Related Threads

cavandre
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1630
    Re:Yet another "Does anybody remember" query, this time about a novelty frozen pizza 2014/01/23 08:03:14 (permalink)
    MellowRoast
    • Total Posts : 2009
    Re:Yet another "Does anybody remember" query, this time about a novelty frozen pizza 2014/01/23 08:51:49 (permalink)
    Wow, I remember Buitoni -- that was ages ago.  I'd love to see it back. 
    kaszeta
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 681
    Re:Yet another "Does anybody remember" query, this time about a novelty frozen pizza 2014/01/23 11:09:45 (permalink)
    I remember two of them from the early 1970s:  The Buitonis "Toasterino" pizzas (round pastry pucks filled with cheese and pizza-sauced hamburger), and Kellog's "Pizza Prestos", which were basically pizza pop-tarts, and were rectangular.
    pacman
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 160
    Re:Yet another "Does anybody remember" query, this time about a novelty frozen pizza 2014/01/23 12:24:40 (permalink)
    There was another one from the same time frame.  I can't remember the name.  However, it was actually an open faced pizza that you made in the toaster.  I don't know why it didn't fall apart, but, my mom used to keep them for snacking and if they made a mess in the toaster, she wouldn't have gotten them.
    rebeltruce
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 702
    Re:Yet another "Does anybody remember" query, this time about a novelty frozen pizza 2014/01/23 19:02:27 (permalink)
    I believe there may be an old thread here on Roadfood about this....I remember them well from my childhood, if I recall from the old thread the ultimate conclusion was that the had been discontinued. There were even pictures of the box in the old thread.....

MetroplexJim
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4220
    Re:Yet another "Does anybody remember" query, this time about a novelty frozen pizza 2014/01/23 19:34:14 (permalink)
    rebeltruce

I believe there may be an old thread here on Roadfood about this....I remember them well from my childhood, if I recall from the old thread the ultimate conclusion was that the had been discontinued. There were even pictures of the box in the old thread.....

I recall a bunch of 'attempts' before 'pizza pockets' emerged.

But, here is my favorite.  The 'kit' first appeared in the early '60's.
    bartl
    • Total Posts : 1329
    Re:Yet another "Does anybody remember" query, this time about a novelty frozen pizza 2014/01/23 22:38:20 (permalink)
    MetroplexJim

In my life, I've bought maybe 4 of those. And all of them went past expiration without my trying it.

Bart
    Rusty246
    • Total Posts : 2414
    Re:Yet another "Does anybody remember" query, this time about a novelty frozen pizza 2014/01/24 10:40:25 (permalink)
    bartl

MetroplexJim

In my life, I've bought maybe 4 of those. And all of them went past expiration without my trying it.

Bart

I love the kits, it's all about the nostalgia of first love, they bring it all back!
    MissJohnnycakes
    Junior Burger
    Re:Yet another "Does anybody remember" query, this time about a novelty frozen pizza 2014/01/26 01:07:31 (permalink)
    The Buitoni rounds are probably the ones I remember, but there was no beef in them. They were plain cheese pizzas. For whatever reason, although Buitoni stuff was around then, I'm not sure those were the ones. It is possible that there was a locally available (Massachusetts) similar product.

Whatever the case, the Amy's version tastes better, as do the Amy's Pizza pillow snacks.
    MissJohnnycakes
    Junior Burger
    Re:Yet another "Does anybody remember" query, this time about a novelty frozen pizza 2014/01/26 01:12:56 (permalink)
    MetroplexJim,

My first boyfriend and I used to make budget pizzas from either English muffins or pita rounds topped with spaghetti sauce and shredded mozzarella. About as easy as you can get, and cheap, too. Now there's Boboli crusts--much better but they're NOT cheap.
    will_work_4_bbq
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 428
    Re:Yet another "Does anybody remember" query, this time about a novelty frozen pizza 2014/01/26 09:14:03 (permalink)
    MetroplexJim

I loved the boxed ChefBoyardee pizza as a child also!  It was one of the first things my Mom let me prepare.  Having pizza at home like that was a special treat way back then.  I still get a box and fix it (and doctor it up) on rare occasions for nostalgia's sake.  And I actually like the sauce quite a bit.
    leethebard
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6315
    Re:Yet another "Does anybody remember" query, this time about a novelty frozen pizza 2014/01/26 09:39:40 (permalink)
    No kits of any kind in our home growing up in 50's and early 60's. Mom made homemade pizza about once a month or so. Often we all helped. No Brick oven,but boy were they good. For Easter she'd make a pizza stuffed with Spinach & garlic,a Easter tradition. Miss those days!!!
    cavandre
    • Total Posts : 1630
    Re:Yet another "Does anybody remember" query, this time about a novelty frozen pizza 2014/01/26 12:25:02 (permalink)
    MissJohnnycakes

The Buitoni rounds are probably the ones I remember, but there was no beef in them. They were plain cheese pizzas. For whatever reason, although Buitoni stuff was around then, I'm not sure those were the ones. It is possible that there was a locally available (Massachusetts) similar product.

Whatever the case, the Amy's version tastes better, as do the Amy's Pizza pillow snacks.

I seem to remember that there were a couple of different flavors.

Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1