Your favorite pizza places?

Page: 12345.. > >> Showing page 1 of 14
Author
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 335
2003/07/08 03:12:15 (permalink)

Your favorite pizza places?

When it comes to pizza I prefer regional brands to the nationals. My favorite pizza places include the following:

Donato's (mostly Ohio): It satisfies me when I want thin crust, plus it's owned by McDonald's . Website www.donatos.com

East of Chicago Pizza Company (mostly north Central Ohio). I prefer it not just for the taste, but because I took a trip through North Central Ohio when I had it the first time (May 17, 1998). The scenery was awesome and I saw just as many EOCPCs as McDonald'ses. EOCPC made that big an impression on me. " /> Website www.eastofchicago.com

La Rosa's (Cincinnati area--opened its first Dayton restaurant late last year ) Website www.larosas.com

Mr. Gatti's (mostly the south): When I was a teenager there was a Mr. Gatti's my family would frequent in Crawfordsville, Indiana, near the east end of town on IN 32. Unfortunately it has disappeared (I think it's a Subway now, which would explain why I never eat Subway .). However, I have found the chain still exists in at least Kansas and Kentucky! I cannot locate a website; the two, www.mrgattis.com and www.mrgattis.net , I have found are regional (Austin, TX; southern KY)

Rocky Rococo (Wisconsin, plus a location each in Illinois, Minnesota, and Washington): I understand there used to be more restaurants in this chain than there are now (about 35). I even heard that one existed in Dayton, Ohio, back in 1980! " /> Website www.rockyrococo.com

394 Replies Related Threads

stanpnepa
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 577
    RE: Your favorite pizza places? 2003/07/08 07:35:10 (permalink)
    Old Forge, PA style. Square pies (we call 'em "trays") with a slightly sweet, tomato-laden sauce. Cheeses are often a blend from American (somehow it works) to Monterey Jack. It's goopy, it works...and it tastes like nowhere else.
    Tommy B
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 144
    RE: Your favorite pizza places? 2003/07/08 07:42:00 (permalink)
    Well, I am bias because I sell the best frozen pizza anyone can buy. www.kasasfoods.com Kasa's Pizza started out in the Pocono mountains back in the 70's, and grew to an 8 location pizza chain. The owner came up with an idea of making the same, handmade pizza pie, but doing it in a factory. So, we start at 4 am everyday, with 2 production lines of all real human beings, not machines,
    and we make 18 inch, handmade pies,using our delicious fresh dough, 10oz of our wonderful sauce, and a whole pound of Lucille Farms, part-skim 100% mozzarella. We then bake the pies in conveyor ovens, slice them into 8 equal size slices (or leave them unsliced)
    and then finally we flash freeze the pizza. We package it and sell it to the foodservice industry and for Fundraising.
    Our promise is that we can put you in the pizza business in 5 minutes !!! Our pizza is truly a remarkable product.
    Because you are REHEATING the slice, the taste is so much better, and you are actually enjoying a genuine pizzeria experience,
    because when you go into your favorite pizza shop, you're getting a "reheated" slice, and we all know that reheated italian foods taste better. Well anyway, we sell the whole pies to distributors for $4.50. If you want to try Kasa's, thomasbarrett@juno.com ...e-mail
    Tommy B
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 144
    RE: Your favorite pizza places? 2003/07/08 07:50:19 (permalink)
    In case anyone wanted more pricing information on the Kasa's Pizza product: Our fob pricing is $4.50 per pizza, and our delivered pricing to a distributor, is $4.90 per pizza. Usually a distributor sells the pizza for approx $5.50, or 70 cents per slice,
    to schools, colleges, ball parks, concession stands, ski resorts, swimming pools, hotel room service, amusement parks, hospitals,
    roller skating rinks, movie theaters... the uses of our pizza are endless !!! Our "Pizza Pack" is the coolest product any family can buy. It is an 8-slice pack of our Real Handmade Pizza, fully baked and flash frozen, and ready in 5 minutes. We call it a "Pizza Party in a Box !" because you can throw a pizza party for the kids in 5 minutes, or rent a DVD and enjoy delicious NY, Handmade
    pizza fresh out of the oven in 5 minutes, and it comes out hot AND CRISP, which no delivered pizza can do. Our Pizza Pack is sold to Fundraising companies for $5.00 each (fob Stroudsburg PA) $5.50 each (Delivered, minimum 300 packs). The Fundraising companies
    sell our Pizza Pack for $12.00, which is a wonderful value to families (they are getting an 18 inch, handmade pizza already baked, sliced, frozen..."Pizza By The Slice", delivered to their home. That's only a buck and a half a slice. thomasbarrett@juno.com
    brianh
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 21
    RE: Your favorite pizza places? 2003/07/30 02:32:39 (permalink)
    McFan-

I'm not sure which type you are requesting, so I'll give you all of mine.

Milwaukee-

Cheap* frozen brands: Tombstone, Jimm's and Orv's

Chains: Rocky Rococo's, Edwardo's and Giordano's(That's alot of O's!)

Local Pizzeria: Zaffiro's, DeMarini's and Lisa's on Oakland.

Zaffiro's is without a doubt my favorite. Very thin crust, unbelievable sauce, and scattered cheese.
    Old school. Even the plain cheese pizza will satisfy the hardcore carnivore. My preffered LP is the pepperoni and onion.

*Cheap=under $4.00
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18897
    RE: Your favorite pizza places? 2003/07/30 02:49:54 (permalink)
    The best? There are only three, and they're all in New Haven, Connecticut. Frank Pepe's, Sally's and The Spot -- all on Wooster Street. The Spot is now owned by Pepe's, but for many, many years I considered it the best of the three. By the way, it's apizza, pronounced ah-BEETS, not pizza.
    Wiseguy
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 42
    RE: Your favorite pizza places? 2003/07/30 03:04:39 (permalink)
    For frozen I like DiGiorno,Freschetta http://www.freschetta.com/
    Home run inn http://www.homeruninn.com/ and Reggio's,both chicago pizzerias that sell frozen in the supermarket.

For pan pizza,in Chicago, I'd have to say Lou Malnati's
    http://www.loumalnatis.com/
    I also like Gino's East http://www.ginoseast.com/ and Uno and Due http://www.pizzeriauno.com/ (only go to the ones in Chicago),but they are for the tourist's.
    Bacino's is pretty good too. http://www.bacinos.com/
    Giordano's is OK and so is Edwardo's which is a chain.
    For thin crust i like Armand's in Elmwood park http://www.armandspizzeria.com/
    and Martino's restaurant
    I also have heard that Adorno's is good but haven't tried it yet.

CheeseWit
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1394
    RE: Your favorite pizza places? 2003/07/30 07:32:59 (permalink)
    I like Tacconelli's and/or Marra's in Philly, Old Forge Style in NE PA, HiWay Pizza in State College, PA, Peace A Pizza in the Philly suburbs, Lou Malnati's in Chicago, and Frank Pepe's in New Haven.
    jpatweb
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 232
    RE: Your favorite pizza places? 2003/07/30 08:50:43 (permalink)
    Amen brother. The holy trinity of apizza.

quote:
    Originally posted by Michael Hoffman

The best? There are only three, and they're all in New Haven, Connecticut. Frank Pepe's, Sally's and The Spot -- all on Wooster Street. The Spot is now owned by Pepe's, but for many, many years I considered it the best of the three. By the way, it's apizza, pronounced ah-BEETS, not pizza.
    wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7956
    RE: Your favorite pizza places? 2003/07/30 09:55:18 (permalink)
    This is a tough decision, but here it goes.

1. Famous Rays NYC (the one on 6th ave and 12th street)
    2. Di Fara's Brooklyn NY on Avenue J
    3. Violetta's Merrick NY
    4. Mineo's Pittsburgh PA
    5. Pepe's New Haven CT

How about the worst

1. Every Chain (pizza hut, domino's, godfathers, little ceasar, etc
    2. Every local pizza joint in Seattle (believe me, I tried them all
    stanpnepa
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 577
    RE: Your favorite pizza places? 2003/07/30 11:48:54 (permalink)
    Yeah, Mineo's was a nice surprise! I didn't think you'd get good pizza in the Burgh.

wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7956
    RE: Your favorite pizza places? 2003/07/30 12:00:47 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by stanpnepa

Yeah, Mineo's was a nice surprise! I didn't think you'd get good pizza in the Burgh.

I lived in Pittsburgh for nearly 5 years. I never met a Pizza I didn't like there. Of course after dealing with Pizza in Seattle for three years, Cardboard Covered with Ketchup and Yogurt would have tasted good
    tamandmik
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 949
    RE: Your favorite pizza places? 2003/07/30 12:18:58 (permalink)
    Frank Pepe White Clam = #1.
    #2 is the Francesca pizza at Alta Pizzeria, in Hazleton PA.
    #3 is Macs, on the boardwalk in Wildwood NJ, and recently had
    #4 PeacePizza. WOW! There is one nearby my house in Haddonfield NJ, that I will have to make a return trip to, after enjoying slices at the King Prussia PA location. This Friday night sounds good!
    jackier
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 42
    RE: Your favorite pizza places? 2003/07/30 23:20:34 (permalink)
    Pepe's in New Haven is great, but I'm just as fond of the pizza at Roseland Apizza in Derby. Their crust is thin and very crisp, and theiry briny clam pie, sans cheese/sauce, has been a hit with every friend we've brought there.

John's on Bleeker St in the Village is really terrific, too.
    signman
    • Total Posts : 1744
    RE: Your favorite pizza places? 2003/07/31 02:02:05 (permalink)
    My favorite in Pittsburgh is Aiellos, just a few doors from Mineos in Squirrel Hill. One of the best anywhere is Marucas, on the boardwalk in Seaside Heights, NJ. Very crisp crust. (say that 5 times fast)
    peppertree
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 305
    RE: Your favorite pizza places? 2003/08/02 17:18:07 (permalink)
    1. Connie's Pizzeria

2. Sal's Pizzeria

3. Lenny's Pizza

All are in Brooklyn.
    goldsborscht
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 128
    RE: Your favorite pizza places? 2003/08/02 18:20:15 (permalink)
    Peppertree, where in Bklyn are these places?
    peppertree
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Your favorite pizza places? 2003/08/02 20:46:58 (permalink)
    Connie's 3803 Nostrand Ave. (shopping center near Ave. Y) since 1959

Sal's 8619 4th Ave.-Bay Ridge

Lenny's 594 Fifth Ave near Prospect Ave. -right by the expressway.

For about a dozen more great NYC pizzas (is there any other pizza?) see my post in :

Looking For A Great NYC Slice

(Regional Forum/Where Should I Eat)
    goldsborscht
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 128
    RE: Your favorite pizza places? 2003/08/02 22:46:35 (permalink)
    Thanks for the addresses. Do you know of any must haves in the Greenpoint/Williamsburg area? Much obliged.
    Lone Star
    • Total Posts : 1730
    RE: Your favorite pizza places? 2003/08/03 01:14:17 (permalink)
    In Houston, it's Star Pizza, hands down.
    peppertree
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Your favorite pizza places? 2003/08/04 19:22:27 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by goldsborscht

Thanks for the addresses. Do you know of any must haves in the Greenpoint/Williamsburg area? Much obliged.

Yes, in fact.

Steve's Pizza on Manhattan Ave. in Greenpoint. I was there one year on Easter and they were the only pizza that I could find, but I am glad that I found them.

I look forward to my next Steve's Pizza.
    peppertree
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Your favorite pizza places? 2003/08/04 19:24:45 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Lone Star

In Houston, it's Star Pizza, hands down.

Brother's Pizza on Loop 6 west of town two blocks north of I-10 is about the best pizza I have had in Texas. Try them, then let me know if Star Pizza is still the best.
    BigGlenn
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 461
    RE: Your favorite pizza places? 2003/08/04 20:19:54 (permalink)
    Many years since I have eaten there but, Big Banjo Pizza in my home town, (Pine Bluff Arkansas,70's) was the best at the time at least I thought so. I even worked at Pizza Hut in 1977 while in High School. I liked it then as well. We did pretty good and had a great time while working. Here in California with 4 kids, its all about cheap! Papa Johns we order the most. Roundtable and/or Straw Hat for the Team Pizza Parties. Don't do the Fancy Places much anymore.
    roy51
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 35
    RE: Your favorite pizza places? 2003/08/06 15:35:07 (permalink)
    I've always like the pizza at Campisi's Egyptian on E. Mockingbird Lane in Dallas. Besides, it's a Dallas tradition. The pizza at Gordo's in Dallas is pretty darn good, too.
    Now, to jump across time zones, Mario's in Gunnison, Colorado, is pretty outstanding.
    arbusjones
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 2
    RE: Your favorite pizza places? 2003/08/06 16:00:03 (permalink)
    Finding good pizza or any Italian food in Minnesota is like finding good skiing in Miami in
    August. However, Cossetta's at 211 7TH ST W near Downtown St.Paul is pretty good.
    Spudnut
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 655
    RE: Your favorite pizza places? 2003/08/06 16:23:36 (permalink)
    My favorite pizza is Lento's, in Bay Ridge, Brooklyn. I'm also a fan of a little shack called Nunzio's, in Staten Island...somewhere. I've tried Sally's and Pepe's, but never The Spot. I'll make sure to go there the next time I'm on route to Boston from New York. I'm not a fish/seafood fan, so that makes it impossible for me to get into clam pizza in New Haven, but my friends love it. New Haven has lots of fun places, pizza and otherwise.
    Bushie
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2902
    RE: Your favorite pizza places? 2003/08/06 16:27:02 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by roy51

I've always like the pizza at Campisi's Egyptian on E. Mockingbird Lane in Dallas. Besides, it's a Dallas tradition. The pizza at Gordo's in Dallas is pretty darn good, too.
    Now, to jump across time zones, Mario's in Gunnison, Colorado, is pretty outstanding.

Roy, I've seen you mention this place before. What's the crust like? Thin, thick, or "medium".

I'm a thin-crust fanatic, and I really don't care for anything else. There is no place around Austin (that I know of) anymore that makes it the way I like it.

Do you think I'd like Campisi's?
    jpatweb
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 232
    RE: Your favorite pizza places? 2003/08/06 17:11:20 (permalink)
    The pie at the Spot is great but it is also indistinguishable from Pepe's, so a special trip might not be warranted unless you crave the novelty of dining in a different place. Not that there's anything wrong with that.
    quote:
    Originally posted by Phil J.

I've tried Sally's and Pepe's, but never The Spot. I'll make sure to go there the next time I'm on route to Boston from New York.
    mousec
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 303
    RE: Your favorite pizza places? 2003/08/06 20:19:02 (permalink)
    In the Chicagoland area we have a plethora choices for pizza. Some of my favorites are:

Nancy's (stuffed)
    Bills Pub (double decker)
    Rosatis (thin crust)
    Jakes (thin crust)
    Lou Malnati's Pizza (Pan)
    Edwardos (thin and stuffed)

SkyyeBlue
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 18
    RE: Your favorite pizza places? 2003/08/08 04:05:38 (permalink)
    I grew up on Brother's Pizza, in East Brunswick, NJ, just off of Route 18. Awesome, hole in the wall but delicious NY style pizza.

Down here in Florida land (that would be Flaaaarida for youse that speak New Joisey) there is a little place called "Babe's Pizza" in Brandon, very good, a tiny little place that also features a train track built into the upper part of the walls that runs around and round.

Anybody been either of these places??

OK, one more, but not for pizza... for Stromboli... the original "Stuff Yer Face" in New Brunswick near Rutgers... mmmmmm good.

Comments??
    Page: 12345.. > >> Showing page 1 of 14
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1