Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Looking for the name of a candy

Change Page: << < ..1112 > | Showing page 11 of 12, messages 301 to 330 of 332
dasl_4

• Total Posts: 187
RE: Looking for the name of a candy Sat, 11/17/07 2:28 PM (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by opalsun

Check out merrimints at http://www.benandbills.com/gift_boxes.html
scrolling down the page past the chocolates.

I came across them when doing an internet search for merrimints.

I bought them and they arrived quickly. Some of them were crushed, but they were very good, even the crumbs. The colors are not as vivid as the original merrimints but the flavor is as good or better.

in the mint section http://www.benandbills.com/mints-candy.html

LoriK

• Total Posts: 2
    RE: Looking for the name of a candy Sun, 12/2/07 9:04 AM (permalink)
    I have been watching this thread for a long time! I long for the french creams that I used to get as a child at Woolworths candy counter. Flowers etc, hard outside, creamy inside. Only the white and green were mint-I live less than a mile from Yummies and the disks they sell are just not the same. I keep thinking I will buy from Olivers but $30 seems like too much for a box of candy that may or may not be what I remember. The Yummies ones are too minty and way too light and creamy inside-they way I remember was they had more "body" to them.

Has anyone tried the egg white and x sugar rcp??

LoriK

RE: Looking for the name of a candy Sun, 12/2/07 11:11 AM (permalink)
      Hi Again,

just for fun I just tried the egg white/confec surgar rcp. I just dropped a bit of egg white into a bowl and some cherry flavoring (all I had) and kept adding confec sugar until the mixture was hard enuf to mold into a ball. Then I rolled it in sugar and pressed it flat. Let them dry out in front of the heat. EASY and exactly what I wanted. next time I will add more confec. sugar so they dry out faster. Rolling in table sugar is key and you can press with a fork.

I guess there is the whole raw egg white issue to contend with-use whatever flavoring you like-

dasl_4

RE: Looking for the name of a candy Sun, 12/2/07 5:07 PM (permalink)
        quote:
        Originally posted by LoriK

I keep thinking I will buy from Olivers but $30 seems like too much for a box of candy that may or may not be what I remember.

Oliver's French Creams are the real thing .. but the flavors that I think are the best are the Christmas ones .. Peppermint Spearmint Cinnamon .. then the reg. flavors .. the fruit ones not so much
        You can always try the 7oz $13.75 ones to find out .. only $23.75 shipped

http://www.oliverscandies.com/storeproductdetails.asp?CategoryID=49&ssid=0C0D7AF3-6ED6-4F91-AFAD-0636F15CC39D&ProductID=189

dasl_4

RE: Looking for the name of a candy Sun, 12/2/07 5:10 PM (permalink)
          Anyone find new places to try? Or order from the usual places? Getting closer to finding MerriMints???

Heffalump

• Total Posts: 3
            RE: Looking for the name of a candy Mon, 12/17/07 6:26 PM (permalink)
            BEN & BILL,S VS. OLIVER’S

I recently bought Merriments type wafers from both Ben & Bill’s (Bar Harbor, ME) and Oliver’s (Batavia, NY; also sold by Vermont Country Store at marked up price), so I can now compare them and give advice. Ben & Bill’s is the winner, but Oliver’s does have its advantages.

ADVANTAGES OF BEN & BILL’S

1. B&B’s offers five colors/flavors: mint (white), wintergreen (pink), lime (green), lemon (yellow), and orange (orange). Oliver’s offers only four: you can’t get orange. (The original Merrimints came in all five flavors.

2. B&B’s green wafers are lime; Oliver’s are spearmint (a nicer flavor than mint). I prefer lime, and apparently most other people do too, although this is clearly a matter of personal taste.

3. B&B let you get any mix you want – one flavor, two, three, four, or five – in any proportions. If you like all flavors except white, you can omit the whites; and if you are especially fond of wintergreen (I am), you can get ½ pink, 1/6 green, 1/6, yellow, and 1/6 orange. Or you can order just three flavors: ½, 1/4, 1/4, or maybe 1/3, 1/3, 1/3 With Oliver’s you must accept a prepackaged mix containing equal amounts of all four flavors, including the whites (mint).

4. B&B’s come in one-row boxes (about the same row length as Oliver’s), so if you want a small order you don’t have to buy two rows. Oliver’s are prepackaged in two-row boxes.

ADVANTAGES OF OLIVER’S

1. If you prefer spearmint to lime, Oliver’s greens are spearmint.

2. Esthetically, Oliver’s are more like the original Delson’s Merrimints. Oliver’s has the Merrimint’s parallel grooves on top; B&B’s doesn’t. And Oliver’s are more perfectly round shaped, whereas my latest B&B’s order (but not earlier ones) had a lot of lopsided wafers.

3. Oliver’s have much better padding (prevents breakage) for mailing. The Oliver’s mailing box has two thick wraparound foam end-pieces into which the candy box ends are inserted, a foam piece at each end. The candy box has no contact with the walls of the mailing box. The B&B boxes had a thin, one-layer wrap of bubble wrap and came with a lot of breakage (although the breakage was probably due partly to cold weather and low winter humidity, which made the wafers brittle).

4. Theoretically, the grooves on the Oliver’s wafers, by reducing contact area between wafers, makes them less likely to stick together. My experience, however, suggests that heat (which creates softness and stickiness) and humidity (the wafers are moister, stickier) and probably age (the wafers dry out with age, becoming less sticky and more brittle) have more effect on sticking than the grooves do. My Oliver’s candies, mailed very fresh in fairly warm weather, had far more sticking together but far less breakage than the ungrooved B&B wafers did.

alaskan

RE: Looking for the name of a candy Wed, 04/2/08 10:38 PM (permalink)
              quote:
              Originally posted by Delson

I continue to be flattered by the demand for MerriMints. Maybe some day............

How hard would it be to start up the production again, keep the name, keep the recipes and find the equipment

sharthomas

RE: Looking for the name of a candy Mon, 06/2/08 2:59 PM (permalink)
                BINGO.... Ruby Rose hit it right on the nose. I found the French Cremes (Crystal Cremes) on the Vermont Candy website. They are exactly the ones I was looking for that were sold at Sear Roebuck and Co. only during the Christmas holiday season. they came in pastels colors and various shapes with crystallized sugar on top of a cremey center. Thanks so much all for your comments and leads. I'm a very happy camper now.

S. Thomas
                Oak Park, Michigan.
                P.S., I'm so excited, I'm about to jump out of my skin.

sharthomas

RE: Looking for the name of a candy Mon, 06/2/08 3:02 PM (permalink)
                  P.S. - during the Christmas holiday season, the French Cremes (Crystal Cremes) were sold in, of course, red, green and white again at Sears Roebuck and Co.

S. Thomas
                  Oak Park, MI

stellatj

• Total Posts: 13
                    RE: Looking for the name of a candy Mon, 06/23/08 1:43 PM (permalink)
                    ok i just got my order from Ben & Bill's to me they are nothing like the merri mints or the french cremes i use to get.the texture was way off. I cant believe i wasted 20.00 on a pound of flavored sugar YUK YUK YUK. now someone said these were better then olivers so i am to scared to try olivers now.

sharthomas

RE: Looking for the name of a candy Tue, 06/24/08 1:46 PM (permalink)
                      quote:
                      Originally posted by stellatj

ok i just got my order from Ben & Bill's to me they are nothing like the merri mints or the french cremes i use to get.the texture was way off. I cant believe i wasted 20.00 on a pound of flavored sugar YUK YUK YUK. now someone said these were better then olivers so i am to scared to try olivers now.

I ordered the 'French Cremes' from Vermont Candy.com and they were exactly the ones that Sears Roebuck and Co. used to sell. They were expensive ($24.00) so I will not be ordering them often. There were about 40 pieces of the cremes though-in all the pastel colors that I remember. YUM!!

sweetiesweets

• Total Posts: 1
                        RE: Looking for the name of a candy Fri, 07/4/08 9:59 PM (permalink)
                        Hello..

I kind of remember the french creme.. thin mint candy.... but living in Canada it was likely called something entirely different...
                        there are a number of candy online stores with tons of pics and such...

have a look at
                        http://www.aquarterof.com

or
                        http://www.candyaddict.com

they may have something there to help you out.. the first one is a site form the U.K.. but they have over 700 different Retro candies available...

good luck... if i find out i'll be back..

dasl_4

RE: Looking for the name of a candy Sat, 10/11/08 8:45 PM (permalink)
                          Oliver's has the orange Pastel Mints "merrimints" again .. limited time

http://www.oliverscandies.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&product_ID=68&ParentCat=18

Quackerz

RE: Looking for the name of a candy Fri, 10/24/08 10:45 AM (permalink)
                            the great merrimints fruit wafers , my Mom loved them, i make them from cooked fondant and drop them onto waxed paper, i've even made them root beer and cola flavored. the orange are favorites and a few drops of oil added to reg. orange flavoring will give the intense flavor you want

Rick F.

• Total Posts: 1736
                              RE: Looking for the name of a candy Fri, 10/24/08 11:20 AM (permalink)
                              The[url='http://www.vermontcountrystore.com/browse/Home/Holiday-Gift-Shop/Holiday-Entertaining/Pastel-Mints/D/30100/P/1:100:1040:10490/I/f08854?evar3=SEARCH']Vermont Country Store[/url] claims to have duplicated them, but some years ago this came up on RF and we got a response from the [grand?]daughter of the original brand-owner, who said VCS's version bore little resemblance to the original. Sorry, but you appear to be out of luck.

Quackerz

RE: Looking for the name of a candy Fri, 10/24/08 4:59 PM (permalink)
                                recipe for "merrimints"
                                2c. sugar,
                                1c. water,
                                2tbs. cornsyrup or 1/8 tsp cr. of tartar
                                flavorings
                                dissolve sugar in water &syrup, cover and cook slowly for 2-3 minutes'remove cover and boil without stirring til it hits 238 (soft ball stage)
                                remove from heat and pour on large platters until lukewarm
                                knead until creamy, leave in a tightly covered container overnight
                                to make the merrimints, melt some of it in top of double boiler add flavor and color, drop by tsp. onto waxed paper, cool, peel off and turn over and let dry, store between pieces of parchment,

this is the closest recipe to merrimints ive found, use a bit of orange oil with your extract

Quackerz

RE: Looking for the name of a candy Fri, 10/24/08 5:02 PM (permalink)
                                  oops, almost forgot, for a thicker, better textured candy, try using a plastic pattie mold from candy making supplies

brittneal

• Total Posts: 1265
                                    RE: Looking for the name of a candy Fri, 10/24/08 5:56 PM (permalink)
                                    I got lost here. Didi anyone bring up Necco mint wafers?
                                    britt

RubyRose

• Total Posts: 2187
                                      RE: Looking for the name of a candy Fri, 10/24/08 7:40 PM (permalink)
                                      quote:
                                      Originally posted by brittneal

I got lost here. Did anyone bring up Necco mint wafers?
                                      britt

It's a very long thread, brittneal, but the candy that it was originally about was Merri-Mints, as shown in the post by dasl_4 above, and the quest to find them.

French Creams had a similar flavor so also became a part of this thread. I just remembered that I have an old Wish Book (Sears Christmas Catalog) and took it out to take this picture of the 1957 offering - 3 pounds for $1.77 - for the French Cream fans.

itsroey

RE: Looking for the name of a candy Mon, 10/27/08 6:00 PM (permalink)
                                        I ordered from the Vermont Country Store and the product that came was actually from Olivers! They were the real deal - YUM! You can order them either from Vermont Country Store, or directly from Oliver's - 211 West Main St. Batavia, NY 800-924-3879. (I put them in my address book...they were that yummy!)

MetroplexJim

• Total Posts: 3706
                                          RE: Looking for the name of a candy Mon, 10/27/08 6:26 PM (permalink)
                                          dasl_4 has it nailed above: "Delson's Merri-Mints". They were like hard frosting and I even remember the ridges on the bottom.

My favorite product of theirs was the TThin Mints". They came in a green and white striped rectangular box labelled "Delson's Thin Mints". I remember them well as we got them often at the Kroger's in Mt. Lebanon (near Pittsburgh).

These were "Ritz cracker-sized", chocolate-coated, peppermint-flavored creme. Think a York Peppermint Patty the size and thickness of a Ritz cracker. Because of the "thin-ness" they had a much smaller peppermint to chocolate ratio.

dasl_4

RE: Looking for the name of a candy Fri, 11/28/08 11:16 PM (permalink)
                                            The Christmas French Creams are available again ... spearmint peppermint and cinnamon flavours ..
                                            mine arrived today. yummmmmm

http://www.oliverscandies.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&product_ID=173&ParentCat=19

dasl_4

RE: Looking for the name of a candy Fri, 03/13/09 8:15 PM (permalink)
                                              I just can't stay away .. the fruit & spice selection

stellatj

• Total Posts: 13
                                                RE: Looking for the name of a candy Tue, 03/2/10 7:57 PM (permalink)
                                                If anyone is still looking mileskimball has them for 2.92 for a 7 ounce box and you can pm me for a free shipping code. i just ordered 2 boxes for under 6.00 shipped. hope they are as good as i remember. these are the holiday flavors

Analyst

RE: Looking for the name of a candy Sun, 05/9/10 1:49 PM (permalink)
                                                  I have been looking for these mints for about two years and just stumbled upon this great website.  I'm going to order some mints from Olivers, hope they are as good as the originals.

kimm2444

• Total Posts: 71
                                                    Re:Looking for the name of a candy Mon, 05/10/10 7:22 AM (permalink)
                                                    Try Cracker Barrel they carry alot of old candies.

ladygodiva

• Total Posts: 96
                                                      RE: Looking for the name of a candy Mon, 08/23/10 7:10 PM (permalink)
                                                      The Merriments used to be carried by Yum Yum Tree, Gorants Chocolates in Northeast Ohio, they used to die them any color for party favors, wedding favors etc, and they were delicious, they are carried at Olivers in New York and you  can request just the Wintergreen, or Lemon, or Spearmint or Peppermint, if you request an individual flavor though it takes an extra 2 or 3 weeks or more or less, if you order the 4 flavor pack, it ships quickly, I recieved mine within a week

ladygodiva

• Total Posts: 96
                                                        RE: Looking for the name of a candy Sun, 08/7/11 2:23 PM (permalink)
                                                        also have tried Olivers candies New York, French Cremes, and Fruit Creams, both excellent.

Allisondbl

• Location: My Business, NJ
                                                          RE: Looking for the name of a candy Mon, 10/22/12 4:51 AM (permalink)
                                                          Okay. I will give a DEFINITIVE response having now tried: Oliver's Fruit Cremes and their Merrimints aka Pastel Mints and Vermont Country Store's Sherbet Mints. Oliver's Fruit Cremes are awesome, but NOTHING like Merrimints, Vermont Country Store's Sherbet Mints are like eating chocolate-textured pastel air - also NOTHING like Merrimints.

However, Oliver's Merrimints aka Pastel Mints are JUST the ticket. The wintergreen in particular are SPOT ON to my Memory. I enjoyed the yellow and green as well, but did NOT like the white aka peppermint BUT am not a huge fan of peppermint and so will state this is ONLY a personal preference. Vermont Store sells these FROM Oliver's but they charge a LOT more. Go straight to the source - a VERY nice set of people.

abbysnow

• Joined: 10/23/2012
                                                            • Location: sharon, MA
                                                            RE: Looking for the name of a candy Tue, 10/23/12 3:45 PM (permalink)
                                                            I may have found another contender to Merrimints!

When trying to find my own personal favorite - Crystal Creams (looking for other vendors besides VCS and Yummies), I found another page that has something that looks like MerriMints, but having never tried one, I don't know if this is the real McCoy or not.
                                                            I came across . I have no idea if they are right, close, or not even in the ballpark. I am now mesmerized with the idea of MerriMints, though! 

Edit: The site is giving me issues posting the url. It is as follows without spaces: candydirect . com/ jelly-belly-beans-mint-cremes-10pounds
                                                            Good luck on your search, everyone!
                                                            <message edited by abbysnow on Tue, 10/23/12 3:49 PM>

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                              Change Page: << < ..1112 > | Showing page 11 of 12, messages 301 to 330 of 332

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 3 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com