Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Texas Weiner Recipe

Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 30 of 31
tainttown

• Total Posts: 8
Texas Weiner Recipe Sun, 11/28/04 11:56 AM (permalink)
I left N.J. about thirty years ago and still can not shake my craving for Texas Weiners. I've come to find out that the T.W. is really a local delicacy in th tri-state area and can't be found elsewhere. So I set out to recreate a "one all the way" at home. This is what I came up with. I share this recipe to not only help others in my situation but also to ask the experts for their input. Does it need anything else added or omitted? Did I get close to Falls View? I would love to hear about it.

1 lb. ground beef
1 med. onion, chopped
1 clove garlic
1/2 qt. water
6 oz. tomato paste
2 tsp. chili powder
2 tsp. paprika
2 tsp. cumin
1 tsp. oregano
1/2 tsp. cinnamin
1/2tsp. all spice
1/4-1/2 tsp. cayenne (optional)
salt
pepper

Saute' onion and garlic till transparent
add beef and brown,when done drain off grease
add water tomato paste and bring to boil
add remaining ingredients and simmer at least an hour

Enjoy!!!

seafarer john

RE: Texas Weiner Recipe Sun, 11/28/04 2:30 PM (permalink)
    Sounds a lot like a recipe I got that was supposed to be the Greek's secret from a place in Newburgh, NY . I've fooled around with it a number of times, but I'll never be able to match what the local Texas hot wiener joint's do around here. So, I go out for my Texas hots. It's a shame you are so deprived down east there in Portland- poor folks, all you've got is fresh lobster, scallops, clams, oysters, and cod fish. I'll swap you anytime, a Texas hot, for a lobster roll...

Cheers, John

pacman

• Total Posts: 160
      RE: Texas Weiner Recipe Mon, 12/13/04 11:29 AM (permalink)
      This is pretty close as I can remember it. I have it at home somewhere (I'm at work now) I will try to dig my copy up and see what you think of that. Mine came either from 'The Sandwich Shop' (gone for many years now) or "They Texas Lunch' (still in business) both in Lock Haven, PA. I can get close, but, I think part of the trick is that both places used to be 24 hour joints and it was on the heat ALL THE TIME. I think that makes a difference in taste an consistancy.

Dan
      quote:
      Does it need anything else added or omitted? Did I get close to Falls View? I would love to hear about it.

1 lb. ground beef
      1 med. onion, chopped
      1 clove garlic
      1/2 qt. water
      6 oz. tomato paste
      2 tsp. chili powder
      2 tsp. paprika
      2 tsp. cumin
      1 tsp. oregano
      1/2 tsp. cinnamin
      1/2tsp. all spice
      salt
      pepper

Enjoy!!!

1bbqboy

• Total Posts: 4542
        RE: Texas Weiner Recipe Mon, 12/13/04 12:18 PM (permalink)
        Is this a topping, or a NE term for chili on a bun?

pacman

RE: Texas Weiner Recipe Mon, 12/13/04 12:36 PM (permalink)
          This is a topping. In my neck of the woods the traditional way to build the sandwich is;

Bun
          Well Grilled Hot Dog
          Mustard
          Generous portion of raw onion
          Sauce

Dan
          quote:
          Originally posted by bill voss

Is this a topping, or a NE term for chili on a bun?

1bbqboy

RE: Texas Weiner Recipe Mon, 12/13/04 12:49 PM (permalink)
            thanks, Dan. How do you think the name Texas got in the mix? it's sounds more Greek/Cincinnati style to me.
            Bill

seafarer john

RE: Texas Weiner Recipe Mon, 12/13/04 1:05 PM (permalink)
              Bill, It's part of the sandwich you get when you walk into a "Texas hot Wiener" place around here (the Tri-state or NYC metro area) and order "one with everything". You get a hot dog roll, a hot dog (usually a very mild kind of dull tasting hotdog), a slather of mustard (usually yellow) a topping of chili sauce, and a sprinkle of raw chopped onions. The chili sauce is usually not very peppery hot, but it is spicy , and in some places they offer two sauces- one hotter than the other.

Of course, no one orders only one, the standard order is two. It can be accompanied by a soft drink, coffee, beer, or milk - although none of the joints in my area sell beer.

I believe that something like this is called a "Coney Island" in the mid-west - althought the combination was almost cetainly not invented in Coney Island. (I learned this right here on these forums from a member who knew the history of the Coney Island Amusement Park in Cincinnati where it is possible it was invented.)
              The Texas Hot Weiner has been offered in this area by Greeks and Greeks only, until quite recently when Mexicans have started to move into the business. We are blessed here in New Paltz with a new place called Macho's that serves a delicious version of the Texas Hot Weiner . Macho told me a few days ago that he got his sauce recipe from "Uncle George" , a Greek, who recently retired from the business after about fifty years in the same spot in Kingston, NY.

Some places sell the chili sauce in pint cardbaord containers. If you would like to have a pint let me know and I'll get some for you and mail it ( if the USPS will allow it ) to you in Oregon . It'll have to be frozen, but I don't think that will ruin the sauce.

Cheers, John

jellybear

• Total Posts: 1135
                RE: Texas Weiner Recipe Tue, 12/14/04 9:30 AM (permalink)
                They stoled that recipe from N.Y.Weiner System!

pacman

RE: Texas Weiner Recipe Tue, 12/14/04 9:52 AM (permalink)
                  Bill, I really don't know how 'texas' got into the name either. All the "Texas Lunch" places around here are (or at least were) run by Greeks. The two I mentioned in Lock Haven, PA were run by Greeks the one that is still open is still run by the same family. There is also a Texas Hot Weiner in Hanover, PA and Gettysburg, PA both run by Greeks and branches of the same family. There is one in Bloomsburg, PA ,but, I have never been there when they were open so I really don't know about them. In Shamokin, PA there is a Coney Island Lunch and while their sauce is similar to the others I mentioned, it JUST AINT THE SAME.

quote:
                  Originally posted by bill voss

thanks, Dan. How do you think the name Texas got in the mix? it's sounds more Greek/Cincinnati style to me.
                  Bill

1bbqboy

RE: Texas Weiner Recipe Tue, 12/14/04 9:53 AM (permalink)
                    Thanks, for that offer. SJ. We have plenty of bland hot dogs out here. I'll try that recipe and see whether I can duplicate it first, though the mental image of a pint of
                    chili being delivered by our mail lady is inviting.
                    Bill

tainttown

• Total Posts: 8
                      RE: Texas Weiner Recipe Tue, 12/14/04 5:56 PM (permalink)
                      I'm glad to see this topic is getting some interest. As far as the history and where the name came from, there's a great site to check out, http://memory.loc.gov/ammem/wiphtml/essay6/essay6.html . I'm sure this might open some debate as to where it all started, but it seems the Greek influence is a common thread. This is the area I grew up in, so ofcoarse this is the story I beleive. Let's here from the North Jersey contingency!

Dan, would love to try your recipe, dig it up!

pacman

RE: Texas Weiner Recipe Wed, 12/15/04 9:39 AM (permalink)
                        I will try to dig it out tonight. My wife is doing her "Christmas Party Cooking" so I will have to fight my way to the reciepe box ;)

Dan
                        quote:
                        Originally posted by tainttown

I'm glad to see this topic is getting some interest. As far as the history and where the name came from, there's a great site to check out, http://memory.loc.gov/ammem/wiphtml/essay6/essay6.html . I'm sure this might open some debate as to where it all started, but it seems the Greek influence is a common thread. This is the area I grew up in, so ofcoarse this is the story I beleive. Let's here from the North Jersey contingency!

Trask

• Total Posts: 114
                          RE: Texas Weiner Recipe Tue, 02/14/06 6:50 PM (permalink)
                          Greeting,
                          New Roadfood forum member here. I was doing a search for "Texas Lunch" hot dogs to see what might come up and saw some interesting words in this forum. Even another Oregonian.
                          I have never had found the style of hot dog like was made in my high school town of Port Jervis, NY. In the late 50's or early 60's an old Greek fellow started this place and like Pacman describes how the dogs were built. He had some flair when he stacked the steamed buns up his toweled arm and then dog, mustard, lots of fine diced onion, then the tangy & not too thick sauce that would gently ooze down through the onion and finally to your fingers if it lasted that long.
                          Now I see there are and were other similar places in nearby NY, Pa, & NJ towns but I have never encountered one out west here quite as good. I can get quality local made hot dogs in my town and I do make my sauce from scratch. It is very close to his and the technique of assembly is equally important.

Cheers to all. I'm glad I found this forum and will be back for visits fequently.

Trask

Spinaltap

• Total Posts: 26
                            RE: Texas Weiner Recipe Sat, 02/18/06 6:21 PM (permalink)
                            quote:

I guess this could add fuel to the debate...

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/05185/532738.stm

myway

• Total Posts: 308
                              RE: Texas Weiner Recipe Thu, 02/23/06 2:51 PM (permalink)
                              T.T.,
                              I tried your Texas Weiner Sauce recipe. I added a 1/4 teas. of cayenne, ( as suggested), and it was very good. It was a little too spicy for my wife, she's a lite weight. She does not even like hot dogs. I often refer to her as a"blasphemer".

drsmoke02

• Total Posts: 250
                                RE: Texas Weiner Recipe Wed, 03/1/06 9:09 AM (permalink)
                                quote:

I left N.J. about thirty years ago and still can not shake my craving for Texas Weiners. I've come to find out that the T.W. is really a local delicacy in th tri-state area and can't be found elsewhere. So I set out to recreate a "one all the way" at home. This is what I came up with. I share this recipe to not only help others in my situation but also to ask the experts for their input. Does it need anything else added or omitted? Did I get close to Falls View? I would love to hear about it.

1 lb. ground beef
                                1 med. onion, chopped
                                1 clove garlic
                                1/2 qt. water
                                6 oz. tomato paste
                                2 tsp. chili powder
                                2 tsp. paprika
                                2 tsp. cumin
                                1 tsp. oregano
                                1/2 tsp. cinnamin
                                1/2tsp. all spice
                                salt
                                pepper

Enjoy!!!

drsmoke02

RE: Texas Weiner Recipe Wed, 03/1/06 9:15 AM (permalink)
                                  quote:

1 lb. ground beef
                                  1 med. onion, chopped
                                  1 clove garlic
                                  1/2 qt. water

The recipe sounds good,but if you want the consistency,you need to let the chili cool put it in a blender and give it a good grind.if you try to blend hot you have to be very careful as it will splatter out the top.

2 tsp. cumin
                                  1 tsp. oregano
                                  1/2 tsp. cinnamin
                                  1/2tsp. all spice
                                  salt
                                  pepper

Enjoy!!!

drsmoke02

RE: Texas Weiner Recipe Wed, 03/1/06 9:20 AM (permalink)
                                    Where did my post go? what i said was the recipe sounds good but for consistency you need to put the chili in a blender and give it a good blend. don't do this while the product is hot,unless you really know what you'r doing.

seafarer john

RE: Texas Weiner Recipe Wed, 03/1/06 11:25 AM (permalink)
                                      Macho's in New Paltz is closed, but his shop on Broadway in Kingston is still in business- or it was a few months ago. His sauce is a bit hotter with cayenne that most around this area.

Cheers, John

jan2u08

• Total Posts: 2
                                        RE: Texas Weiner Recipe Sun, 08/24/08 6:57 PM (permalink)
                                        quote:

1 lb. ground beef
                                        1 med. onion, chopped
                                        1 clove garlic
                                        1/2 qt. water
                                        6 oz. tomato paste
                                        2 tsp. chili powder
                                        2 tsp. paprika
                                        2 tsp. cumin
                                        1 tsp. oregano
                                        1/2 tsp. cinnamin
                                        1/2tsp. all spice
                                        salt
                                        pepper

Enjoy!!!

jan2u08

• Total Posts: 2
                                          RE: Texas Weiner Recipe Sun, 08/24/08 7:10 PM (permalink)
                                          I also have wanted the recipe for Texas Wieners. There was a restaurant in Scranton, PA. I used to go to in the 60's, they also put the sauce on a burger, the Texas wiener was the favorite, couldn't just eat one and they were served on a short bun and the hot dogs were short. I would love to have one of those again or make the sauce. I saw one that didn't brown the hamburger first. It said to put all the ingredients together and cook for about 2hrs.

Jan

MGWerks

• Total Posts: 231
                                            RE: Texas Weiner Recipe Fri, 09/5/08 4:42 PM (permalink)
                                            So, it's a chili dog.

yuppicide

• Total Posts: 185
                                              Re:Texas Weiner Recipe Fri, 09/18/09 10:05 PM (permalink)
                                              I feel your pain! I moved about an hour away from any of the "Texas Weiner" type joints. When I lived near Route 22 I had 7 different Texas Weiner spots within driving distance and I really miss that. My Grandmother misses them too and every time she comes up to see a relative's house she visits one of them. She's about hour away or so also.

I hope your sauce is good, because I'll make her some and put it in a jar.

Red Tower in Plainfield, Red Tower II in North Plainfield, Red Tower III in Somerville, Texas Weiner Green Brook, Texas Weiner Dunellen, Texas Weiner Middlesex, then there's Adam's Texas Weiner in Piscataway.

My first favorite is the TW on route 22 in Green Brook. I like the chili best there. It's a little more greasy and I usually get a bowl. You can get it with or without beans. I always go without because that's what the dogs have on it.

In second place I like the Dunellen one, but they don't serve chili sauce by itself as far as I remember. They do make a nice greasy cheese steak with it on there.

Third place I'd go with Middlesex. They offer two types of chili in a bowl. One is the stuff they put on dogs, another is a more traditional chili, but has mushrooms, thick cut pepperoni, and cheese inside. It's very good, although I don't like mushrooms.

All of these places have dogs that are grilled with a nice "crisp snap" to them. I'm not sure how they cook them that way. I've cooked them in a frying pan at home and they never get a "snap" like that, although mine do get dark and crispy eventually.

So, you really think they put the stuff into a blender? I always wondered how they get that consistency.. I figured you just keep going at it with a wooden spoon or something lol. Makes sense they use that or a boat motor.

I fell asleep before and haven't eaten dinner yet! It's 10pm and if I didn't have to simmer for an hour I'd be making this! I'm going to try it out tomorrow.

SeamusD

• Total Posts: 942
                                                Re:Texas Weiner Recipe Sat, 09/19/09 4:57 PM (permalink)
                                                I'm going to be near Lock Haven in a few weeks, and I should have the time to swing out there and try out The Texas Lunch.

DawnT

• Total Posts: 1286
                                                  Re:Texas Weiner Recipe Sat, 09/19/09 11:03 PM (permalink)
                                                  I'm totally clueless when it comes to these kinds of sauces as I've never been served one with anything then standard condiments,kraut,or a bean-type chili.

However, rather then blending the sauce or meat/garlic/onion  where you would end up with a puree or a mush, you might consider adding a small amount of milk with soft,white bread w/o the crust thats been made into a slurry and blend it into the beef b4 sauteing it and using it into the recipe. You can buy commerical products that have a soy/gelatin component that can be mixed with a little stock that does the same thing. You end up with a fine, sauted meat product w/o any clumps that mixes very well into recipes. This way you have the texture of the onion and garlic rather then a meat slush. The panade described above doesn't affect the taste of the meat or sauce, just creates a finer texture.

dwt 

yuppicide

• Total Posts: 185
                                                    Re:Texas Weiner Recipe Wed, 09/30/09 2:51 PM (permalink)
                                                    Slush is what we want.. like a sauce. Then at the end they add more chopped onions.

tdj_tx

• Total Posts: 135
                                                      Re:Texas Weiner Recipe Tue, 11/24/09 8:43 PM (permalink)
                                                      I posted my "Texas Hot Wiener" recipe in another thread a couple of years ago. See http://www.roadfood.com/F...xas-Lunch-m211808.aspx for a full discussion. It starts at post #18, there are some great photos from Dallas Hot Wieners shop in Kingston NY. There is also a link to a youtube video I uploaded showing how to make the sauce. Enjoy.

catnhatnh

• Total Posts: 192
                                                        • Location: Rochester, NH
                                                        Re:Texas Weiner Recipe Thu, 11/26/09 8:58 PM (permalink)
                                                        You're getting warm....use 80% or less lean burger and do NOT drain the grease. Lessen the burger bit size-this can be done with anything from an stick blender to a food processor or even a simple hand type potato masher. Add a cup of strong beef bullion or au jus base and then add sufficent bread crumbs to make a moist blend. These crumbs will absorb the flavorful grease and beef bullion/au jus base adding tons of nice taste.Add water to desired consistency and chili powder to thicken if over thinned....this is a good start towards how I arrived at the hot dog chili I use at my trailer in NH and it's a huge success.

tdj_tx

• Total Posts: 135
                                                          • Location: Leander, TX
                                                          Re:Texas Weiner Recipe Fri, 11/27/09 12:12 PM (permalink)
                                                          catnhatnh

You're getting warm....use 80% or less lean burger and do NOT drain the grease. Lessen the burger bit size-this can be done with anything from an stick blender to a food processor or even a simple hand type potato masher. Add a cup of strong beef bullion or au jus base and then add sufficent bread crumbs to make a moist blend. These crumbs will absorb the flavorful grease and beef bullion/au jus base adding tons of nice taste.Add water to desired consistency and chili powder to thicken if over thinned....this is a good start towards how I arrived at the hot dog chili I use at my trailer in NH and it's a huge success.

I don't think you are talking about my recipe, it doesn't call for burger. My recipe uses ground hotdogs as the meat base. I did try using beef broth instead of water, it was ok but I prefer to use water.

catnhatnh

• Total Posts: 192
                                                            • Location: Rochester, NH
                                                            Re:Texas Weiner Recipe Fri, 11/27/09 4:46 PM (permalink)
                                                            Actually I was replying to DawnT who has adding bread and milk to alter the texture. We are not adverse to adding any meat left over at the end of the day to our dog topping.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                              Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 30 of 31

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com