Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Senape's Pitza, Hazleton (PA) style, with pics

Change Page: < 123 > | Showing page 2 of 3, messages 31 to 60 of 70
TJ Jackson

• Total Posts: 4482
RE: Senape's Pitza, Hazleton (PA) style, with pics Tue, 07/18/06 1:06 PM (permalink)
wow....this from someone who lives within easy driving distance of (arguably) the pizza capital of the world - New Haven

big g in joisey

• Total Posts: 214
    RE: Senape's Pitza, Hazleton (PA) style, with pics Wed, 07/19/06 11:11 PM (permalink)
    Wow ... you learn something new everyday,I always thouhgt the pizza capital would be either in Italy or New York,yeah how's the lobster.

big g in joisey

• Total Posts: 214
      RE: Senape's Pitza, Hazleton (PA) style, with pics Wed, 07/19/06 11:14 PM (permalink)
      Wow ... you learn something new everyday,I always thought the pizza capital of the world would be either in Italy or New York,yeah how's the lobster.

jso1227

• Total Posts: 1
        RE: Senape's Pitza, Hazleton (PA) style, with pics Sat, 12/30/06 11:31 AM (permalink)
        I lived in Hazleton for the first 18 years and then some until I moved to Atlanta @ 22. So I grew up with Senape's and the Pines. My uncle was a cook at the Pines and several aunts were or still are waitresses. I had a friend who worked in Senape's bakery when I was a teen. The Senapes Tavern has the hot bar pizza that's similar but not the same as the Bakery (cold) "pitza". The bar pitza is awesome for hot "pitz", as we used to call it; and the cold pitza is awesome for cold pitz. Every time I go home, we plan a night for the tavern, and every time we leave, we go to the bakery and drive back to Ga with at least 2 boxes of the cold pitza...EASY TO EAT WHILE DRIVING, on top of being delicious. The bakery also had the best Italian Bread in the world. I wish we could find similar in Atlanta. Incidentally, the tavern and bakery were once owned by the same family, but that has changed over the years, but the pitza and other food is still the same. I have done my part in passing my love for Senape's bar and cold pitza on to my wife (of 20 yrs.), and kids.

We also do the Knotty Pines thing each time to get the specialty Ham or Pork BBQ sandwiches. The Pines also has the best homemade milkshakes. YUM. I'll be home again in Feb '07...I hope I can hold out with all this talk of my faves.

I recommend Senape's and the Pines to all passers-by for some unique experiences. I guess I could also recommend Jimmy's Hot Dogs too, but I've got to end somewhere.

bighank66

• Total Posts: 5
          RE: Senape's Pitza, Hazleton (PA) style, with pics Wed, 01/17/07 10:57 AM (permalink)
          Damn I miss Senapes
          I used to eat that every day after work. Grab it right off the counter at the Pantry Quik and wash it down with a Farmers.
          I once drove from Pittsburgh to Hazleton, just to get some Senapes. 4 hours out and 4 back.
          Super stuff.

Mack184

• Total Posts: 252
            RE: Senape's Pitza, Hazleton (PA) style, with pics Tue, 02/20/07 3:48 PM (permalink)
            I live in Hazleton..the stuff BLOWS!!!!!!!!!!!

Scorereader

• Total Posts: 5546
              RE: Senape's Pitza, Hazleton (PA) style, with pics Tue, 02/27/07 12:34 AM (permalink)
              quote:
              Originally posted by Mack184

I live in Hazleton..the stuff BLOWS!!!!!!!!!!!

The bottom pic of the slices looks exactly like the "PA" style pizza I see up and down I-81 (Scranton/WB, Frackville, Hazelton) . And I'm going to agree whole-heartedly with Mack184, it's bad pizza.

(I hate being the hater, so I will say that if you like it, by all means enjoy.)

Ort. Carlton.

• Total Posts: 3589
                RE: Senape's Pitza, Hazleton (PA) style, with pics Sun, 03/4/07 11:40 PM (permalink)
                quote:
                Originally posted by Mosca
                HWMCMM,
                I work with Richie Molinaro; he filled me in on a lot of that stuff.
                For those not from here, Richie was in a garage band that came <this close> to making it big in the mid '60s, Ognir and the Night People. They had a pretty big regional hit, "I Found A New Love". Good beat, you can dance to it, I give it an 84... just barely not quite good enough to break national.
                Tom

Mosca,
                And all this time I thought that Ognir And The Night People were from Orwigsburg in Schuylkill County!
                Not Fracktured In Frackvile, Ort. Carlton in Athens, Georgia.
                P. S. Of course everyone realizes that "Ognir" is "Ringo" spelled sdrawkcab.

HPlatz

• Total Posts: 103
                  RE: Senape's Pitza, Hazleton (PA) style, with pics Thu, 08/2/07 10:30 PM (permalink)
                  This thread is a hoot. I stumbled onto roadfood.com today after a guy I work with walked in to work this morning with 2 boxes of Senapes and put the stuff down on next to the coffee machine and I ended up eating 4 or 5 cuts of this stuff throughout the day. I agree with folks who say it's not great pizza, but I can't let it alone if it's available. It is strictly a local tradition and is in its own class. I've eaten it many times but can't say I'm a huge consumer of the stuff. It fills the hole for breakfast quite nicely and as the OP stated, it's found in a lot of gas stations and convenience stores. I would not drive from Pittsburgh to Hazleton for it, but hey, that's just me.

After signing up on this site, I looked over the pizza threads for my hometown icons, Centiole's Pizza and Marrone's pizza in Girardville, PA. The subject lines didn't seem to address these, so if somebody on here knows of any discussions of these pizzas, I'll gladly look them over. Like many great food joints in the PA Coal Region, Centiole's has weird hours and is always sold out. You literally have to order pizza days or weeks in advance. Marrone's is a bar/restaurant with fair to middlin' Italian cuisine but their pizza has a bit of a cult following. A thick, soft crust approaching Sicilian style, but not exactly so. Centiole's is a sweet sauce with a well-browned top and browned crust on the bottom. Both pizzarias are well known and well established in the region and have won many accolades. Marrone's hot sauce which accompanies their pizza on the side is a delicious condiment to the pizza.

I like this site a lot and hope to check back frequently. I'm off to look for discussion on another Girardville legendary restaurant, Tony's Lunch (which opens its doors at 8:30 PM). Coal Region business hours like the Victory Pig posts I read, are really interesting.

Twinwillow

• Total Posts: 4896
                    RE: Senape's Pitza, Hazleton (PA) style, with pics Thu, 08/2/07 11:01 PM (permalink)
                    quote:
                    Originally posted by HPlatz

This thread is a hoot. I stumbled onto roadfood.com today after a guy I work with walked in to work this morning with 2 boxes of Senapes and put the stuff down on next to the coffee machine and I ended up eating 4 or 5 cuts of this stuff throughout the day. I agree with folks who say it's not great pizza, but I can't let it alone if it's available. It is strictly a local tradition and is in its own class. I've eaten it many times but can't say I'm a huge consumer of the stuff. It fills the hole for breakfast quite nicely and as the OP stated, it's found in a lot of gas stations and convenience stores. I would not drive from Pittsburgh to Hazleton for it, but hey, that's just me.

After signing up on this site, I looked over the pizza threads for my hometown icons, Centiole's Pizza and Marrone's pizza in Girardville, PA. The subject lines didn't seem to address these, so if somebody on here knows of any discussions of these pizzas, I'll gladly look them over. Like many great food joints in the PA Coal Region, Centiole's has weird hours and is always sold out. You literally have to order pizza days or weeks in advance. Marrone's is a bar/restaurant with fair to middlin' Italian cuisine but their pizza has a bit of a cult following. A thick, soft crust approaching Sicilian style, but not exactly so. Centiole's is a sweet sauce with a well-browned top and browned crust on the bottom. Both pizzarias are well known and well established in the region and have won many accolades. Marrone's hot sauce which accompanies their pizza on the side is a delicious condiment to the pizza.

I like this site a lot and hope to check back frequently. I'm off to look for discussion on another Girardville legendary restaurant, Tony's Lunch (which opens its doors at 8:30 PM). Coal Region business hours like the Victory Pig posts I read, are really interesting.

Welcome aboard. Interesting and well written first post. Hope we see many more.

HPlatz

RE: Senape's Pitza, Hazleton (PA) style, with pics Thu, 08/2/07 11:40 PM (permalink)
                      Thanks for the warm welcome. The person who hooked me up with the Senape's and I were getting a big kick out of this site today with the Senape's discussion. Props also to Mosca, the OP who nailed this delicacy perfectly with the photos and descriptions. Hey, many people go through PA at one time or another, so hit these local joints if you can.

Mosca

• Total Posts: 2933
                        RE: Senape's Pitza, Hazleton (PA) style, with pics Fri, 08/3/07 10:22 AM (permalink)
                        Heyas, HPlatz! Thanks!

I think it's true that Senape's one of those foods that you don't crave, but when it's available you just can't resist it, either. The reason I wrote about it is that it is just so regional; I have never seen its like anywhere else. It isn't great pizza, no; although the ingredients are the same, it is just too unlike what people think of as "pizza". Maybe that's why it is "pitza". But it is good, definitely an unique taste, and worth trying. What I like is the differences among edge slices, with the cheese hardened on the rim, and the soft center slices that are laden with sauce, and the slices that are light sauce and heavy cheese. You don't search them out, but once you start eating them you can't stop.

You can find more about the places you are looking for at http://www.coalregion.com . Look under "top 10 lists", then "Pizza", "Bars", etc. Centiole's, Marrone's, Senape's, Duke's, Gutsie's; they're all in there.

Tom

hipster006

• Total Posts: 39
                          RE: Senape's Pitza, Hazleton (PA) style, with pics Fri, 08/3/07 10:59 AM (permalink)
                          ognir(ringo spelled backwards) and the night people were great! richie molinaro and silk were unlistenable and a staple in the ne pa. disco circuit. by the wat-senape's is the best.

hipster006

RE: Senape's Pitza, Hazleton (PA) style, with pics Fri, 08/3/07 11:00 AM (permalink)
                            also............great pictures.

hipster006

RE: Senape's Pitza, Hazleton (PA) style, with pics Fri, 08/3/07 11:09 AM (permalink)
                              tony's lunch-home of the screamers!!!hamburgers with very hot sauce on them.buy them by the bag and a staple for late night beer drinking events.centiole's has changed considerably after the death of the owner.it is now run by his wife and daughter and most afficiandos say there is a down-ward decline in taste.i eat it rarely and can't tell.one of the original sweet pizzas of the coal-region. another area great stop is mattuccis in mount carmel pa. great family-owned place with tremendous pizzas. a shrimp one that i love and also a muffaletto pizza that i think is the only version!!! their antipasto is also a killer!

HPlatz

RE: Senape's Pitza, Hazleton (PA) style, with pics Fri, 08/3/07 5:48 PM (permalink)
                                Funny you should mention Mattucci's...the same guy who brought in the Pitz to work the other day hits Mattucci's a couple times a week and is always raving about the place. He's apparently acquainted with the ownership and claims he walks in through the kitchen and orders without benefit of a menu routinely. He claims they'll make you anything you want, whether an offered menu selection or not. I personally have not been to Mattucci's since I was a little kid in the late 60's or early 70's. Good to know it's still grinding it out as a family business.

skipsor

• Total Posts: 12
                                  RE: Senape's Pitza, Hazleton (PA) style, with pics Fri, 08/3/07 9:51 PM (permalink)
                                  Great thread on Marrone's Girardville PA

http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=14461&SearchTerms=marrone's

I agree average Italian food in a old bar/cafe opened in 1933 with a different kind of pizza and a unique hot sauce to put on top!

hipster006

RE: Senape's Pitza, Hazleton (PA) style, with pics Mon, 08/6/07 9:58 AM (permalink)
                                    i was at mattuccis on sat and it was fantastic. this dining room is basicly the same as when i was there with my family as a child in the mid-1950s.same family owning it. there are 2 dining rooms and at times people do go through the kitchen moving from the bar area to another dining room. don't know about making anything you want but that would not surprize me. the menu is extensive and as the muffaletto pizza there are unique items on there as well.they have a meat and cheese appetizer that has a homemade sopeseta(spelling?) which is a home made pepperoni that is unique to this area with many local families making them with their own secret recipies.

stanpnepa

• Total Posts: 575
                                      RE: Senape's Pitza, Hazleton (PA) style, with pics Sat, 04/12/08 7:53 PM (permalink)
                                      Marrone's has made the new edition of Roadfood, plus my beloved Glider Diner in Scranton---about an hour up the road. Thanks Michael and Jane and congrats on the new book!!!

aleswench

• Total Posts: 686
                                        RE: Senape's Pitza, Hazleton (PA) style, with pics Sat, 04/12/08 8:00 PM (permalink)
                                        Thanks for the advice and info. We have been finding ourselves drawn to PA more and more these days, and I'm sure that in the Spring we'll be drawn even more because of the farms and produce. We'll definitely seek out these marvelous looking pitzas! Yum! Sue

ken8038

• Total Posts: 1559
                                          RE: Senape's Pitza, Hazleton (PA) style, with pics Sun, 04/13/08 10:35 AM (permalink)
                                          <<Marrone's has made the new edition of Roadfood, plus my beloved Glider Diner in Scranton---about an hour up the road. Thanks Michael and Jane and congrats on the new book!!!>>

Hey, thanks for that info. Somehow I missed the fact that there is a new edition. I have the first (1978?), and one or two of the others. I'm due for an upgrade. --Ken

reading, pa - guy

RE: Senape's Pitza, Hazleton (PA) style, with pics Sat, 08/2/08 10:46 PM (permalink)
                                            I was born in Hazleton back in 76. I have had the luxury of eating this pitza since i can remember. One box is enough to feed a couple of guys for lunch and it will only set you back about $5.00
                                            You are not going to beat that price and the stuff tastes great. A couple more food places to check out while in Hazleton, PA................ Rostas Cafe, Jimmys hot dogs, and Knotty Pines. The chocolate milkshake at Knotty Pines is one of the best i ever had. The antipasto at Rostas is also on the top of my list. Hazleton is not known for much anymore, but the above mentioned food places make it worth the stop.

Mosca

RE: Senape's Pitza, Hazleton (PA) style, with pics Sun, 08/3/08 8:33 AM (permalink)
                                              Rostas'... the pizza is too sweet for me, but you will never be disappointed by the amount of toppings; best eaten with a fork. Seriously.

Jimmy's hot dogs... outstanding hot dogs.

Knotty Pine is almost closed, maybe it has already shuttered. They were on restricted hours; no breakfast. Great decor, awesome desserts, but hit and miss on many items. I never had a good omelet there, and how hard is it to screw up eggs?

dufferinnc

RE: Senape's Pitza, Hazleton (PA) style, with pics Sun, 08/3/08 6:55 PM (permalink)
                                                I am a former Hazletonian...Just had a couple of slices of Senape's pitza--I've been wishing for some for YEARS!! I had raved about it to a truck-driving friend from Ahoske, NC (there's a long story that goes along with my raving) and he never forgot it. He surprised me upon his return. He also shared pitza with friends along the way home and found so many others that enjoyed its uniqueness as well. I was searching to see if Senapes has an online store (it should!) when I came across your posts.
                                                The Pines' best-known food is their unique BBQ--nothing like it in any of the pig-pickin' states I have visited or lived in--and it comes in ham (still my 87 year-old mother's favorite)as well as pork and beef. When we went to "hang out" in the 70s, I loved fries with gravy and their birch beer (sadly, no longer on tap.)
                                                I also have fond memories of the rock bands in the area: Richie Molinaro's played at the YMCA often, as well as my brother's band, Nobody's Children aka The Nomads. Just reading these posts has been so nostalgic! Thank you all!

ken8038

• Total Posts: 1559
                                                  RE: Senape's Pitza, Hazleton (PA) style, with pics Sun, 08/3/08 11:05 PM (permalink)
                                                  A few comments on this thread that never seems to die:

1) It has an unusually high proportion of "One Post Only" comments. Not sure of the implication of that, but it sure is interesting.

2) As I said in a trip report a couple of months ago, it was this thread that served as inspiration for my own day trip to Hazleton, etc from NJ.

3) I have a friend who is a major fan of 60's Garage Rock. I Found a New Love by Ognir and the Night People is one of his all-time favorites.

4)(and somewhat related to #3), I had never heard of Dave the Rave until I saw this thread a few years ago. Great show!!

Mosca

• Location: Mountain Top, PA
                                                    RE: Senape's Pitza, Hazleton (PA) style, with pics Mon, 08/4/08 12:16 AM (permalink)
                                                    the "one post only" is because this thread is one of the top Google returns for the search, "Senapes" (#2 after "pitza.com"); it also comes up if you google "ognir and the night people" (6th result)!

pizza addict

• Total Posts: 2
                                                      RE: Senape's Pitza, Hazleton (PA) style, with pics Thu, 10/2/08 10:10 AM (permalink)
                                                      Does Tom or anyone know how to make the Senapes pitza rust or something similar. I love pizza and have tried similar pizzas at home for my wife and daughter. Thanks

pizza addict

• Total Posts: 2
                                                        • Location: Marietta, GA
                                                        RE: Senape's Pitza, Hazleton (PA) style, with pics Thu, 10/2/08 10:18 AM (permalink)
                                                        Sorry about the typo. I meant to type Senapes pitza crust instead of rust. Anyway I lived in Hazleton for many years and Senapes was on of the pizzas I truly enjoyed when I wasn't eating Vesuvio's Pizza. That is a beautiful tomato pie. Authentic roma tomato taste without all the seasonings, the finest mozzarella money buys and a beautiful crust, golden brown that allows you to fold it nicely while eating.

firecommander3565

• Total Posts: 505
                                                          • Location: Chicago, IL
                                                          RE: Senape's Pitza, Hazleton (PA) style, with pics Thu, 10/2/08 10:29 AM (permalink)
                                                          I call this "Bakery Pizza" in Chicago. There are a couple of good place to get it, but my favorite is D'Matos on Grand Ave.

Scorereader

• Total Posts: 5546
                                                            • Location: Crofton, MD
                                                            RE: Senape's Pitza, Hazleton (PA) style, with pics Fri, 10/3/08 11:22 AM (permalink)
                                                            There's an italian restaurant/pizza shop called Suglia's in the Schuylkill Mall in Frackville just off of I-81. They make NY Style thin crust pizza. Pretty good. We ended up stopping there both north and south (it's conveniently half way between DC and Syracuse - which is just about time our baby boy needs to be fed) Anyway, it was certainly one of the best slices I've had in PA. (For perspective, you should know that I don't care for Senapes square pizza and other similar PA pizza)

So, yes, I found pizza I liked along I-81. I was wrong. It does exist.

the best part of the Mall, though, is the Gertrude Hawk Chocolate Outlet. Tons of treats for cheap cheap prices.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                              Change Page: < 123 > | Showing page 2 of 3, messages 31 to 60 of 70

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com