Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

What's new in Richmond, VA?

Change Page: 123 > | Showing page 1 of 3, messages 1 to 30 of 62
Leonora

• Total Posts: 29
What's new in Richmond, VA? Sat, 03/26/05 4:38 PM (permalink)
Lot's of new restaurants opening in Richmond and burbs around them.
Which are worth driving the hour from my home in Yorktown
(where there's are NO decent food)?
My favorite Richmond restaurant is Millie's Diner on Main Street. Go for breakfast and have their Devil's Mash and a couple of Bloody Mary's!
Many people on their way north or south may wish to stop here too.

fcbaldwin

• Total Posts: 388
    RE: What's new in Richmond, VA? Sun, 03/27/05 10:47 AM (permalink)

Millie's is as popular as always. A lot of the places in Shockoe Bottom have yet to reopen since the big flood last August. Millie's is up the hill on E. Main St., so it was spared.

I'm not aware of all the new restaurants that you're referring to, but maybe they're out there. Plenty of the good old standbys, 'tho. Like Karen's Diner (blue plate specials and great breakfasts), Julian's (75 year-old Italian restaurant). Both on W. Broad near the DMV. Buz 'n Ned's Real Barbecue (much discussed on these threads) on the Boulevard; and Bill's Barbecue for the fresh limeades and pies, also on the Boulevard.

Depends on what you're looking for.

Frank

fcbaldwin

• Total Posts: 388
      RE: What's new in Richmond, VA? Sun, 03/27/05 11:05 AM (permalink)

Leonora,

You mentioned that there's no decent food in Yorktown. I haven't been in that region in a long time, but I seem to remember a couple of nice restaurants near a marina called York River Yacht Haven. Am I remembering correctly, or are they gone/no good?

Frank

Barney

• Total Posts: 115
        RE: What's new in Richmond, VA? Sun, 03/27/05 11:29 AM (permalink)
        Yes indeed, The River's Inn at York River Yacht Haven is alive and well. It is one of my favorite restaurants for a special occasion. The food is well prepared and it's nice to look over the marina while dining.

carlton pierre

• Total Posts: 2500
          RE: What's new in Richmond, VA? Tue, 04/5/05 9:28 PM (permalink)
          Leonora, the Main St area is a great little area. My favorite place is the Guttenberg Cafe, a great little restaurant and a great little bookstore as well.

Right up the street, around 21st, in that area, is the Edgar Allan Poe house Museum. At least go in the gift shop (the oldest house in Richmond) even if you don't go through the museum.

lucassal

• Total Posts: 37
            RE: What's new in Richmond, VA? Wed, 03/14/07 6:04 PM (permalink)
            I just returned from a 30 hour trip from DC to Richmond. Before I left, I searched the forums for Richmond places to eat. I didn't eat at Millie's because the line at 10 a.m. ran out of the door and down an entire block. It must be THE place to go on a Saturday morning. I ate at Buz and Ned's prior to my visits to the fine arts and historical museums. The food was good, and they served a Legends brown ale which complemented the pulled pork sandwich quite well. A man who had traveled in from the suburbs asked, "How did you find this place?" and I attributed it to roadfood.com.
            I had dinner at Comfort. The fried green tomato appetizer was very good. They have an interesting wine list. The entrees are an upscale meat and two or three sides. Thank you to those who post here.

rebeltruce

• Total Posts: 698
              RE: What's new in Richmond, VA? Fri, 03/23/07 12:38 PM (permalink)
              quote:
              Originally posted by carlton pierre

Leonora, the Main St area is a great little area. My favorite place is the Guttenberg Cafe, a great little restaurant and a great little bookstore as well.

Right up the street, around 21st, in that area, is the Edgar Allan Poe house Museum. At least go in the gift shop (the oldest house in Richmond) even if you don't go through the museum.

There is also a little road House called Poe's. It's been awhile since I've been, but I seem to remember it being near an old Tobacco building that was changed into high end condo's/apartments. Fried catfish and ribs are the specialties there.

MandalayVA

• Total Posts: 367
                RE: What's new in Richmond, VA? Sat, 03/24/07 12:50 PM (permalink)
                For Italian I like Mamma Zu south of Boulevard and the Italian Cafe in Sycamore Square in Midlothian. I usually don't hit the higher end restaurants, sorry. Buz and Ned's is excellent as well.

rebeltruce

• Total Posts: 698
                  RE: What's new in Richmond, VA? Tue, 03/27/07 1:06 PM (permalink)
                  quote:
                  Originally posted by MandalayVA

For Italian I like Mamma Zu south of Boulevard and the Italian Cafe in Sycamore Square in Midlothian. I usually don't hit the higher end restaurants, sorry. Buz and Ned's is excellent as well.

I hope you aren't confusing my saying Poe's is near some 'high end' condos with Poe's being a high end eatery.

Nothing could be further from the truth, Poe's is a dive in every sense of the word. It just happens to be close to the condo's I mentioned......in fact one evening while enjoying my Rib and Catfish platter I happened to see a small mouse scurrying across the room. I guess he wanted to closer to the stage so he could hear the Blugrass band a bit better!....LOL!!!

MandalayVA

• Total Posts: 367
                    RE: What's new in Richmond, VA? Wed, 03/28/07 6:55 PM (permalink)
                    I've seen Poe's, never been in it. And it's certainly not "high end." ;)

i95

Re:What's new in Richmond, VA? Sun, 12/19/10 8:30 PM (permalink)
                      This is an old thread but still appropiate to inquire whether any of our central Virginia posters (NascarDad, Williamsburger, et. al) have yet patronned...

...located in Richmond, Virginia's West End and near Short Pump (1601 Hockett Road in Manakin-Sabot -- near the Short Pump Town Center).

I stopped in here by chance last Monday night for dinner and was delighted with the "new-to-me" find. Last year, the Richmond Times-Dispatch hailed the Sunset Grill as a place to "enjoy a decadent steak topped off with friendly service and a breezy atmosphere" and I can see why. The independently-owned and operated place is a red meat-lover's paradise -- as exemplified by this shot of the restaurant's "slow roasted, thick, aged,marbled, tender prine beef":

-- however Monday evenings (when I was there) was the Sunset Grill's clearly popular "$ 5.00 half-pound grilled burger and fries" night. While I had the simply delicious grilled salmon that evening, the burgers smelled and looked fantastic. Good beers on-tap, as well, including Sierra Nevade Pale Ale, Blue Moon and others.

Has anyone else been to this new inhibitor of the former Red Oak Cafe (and most welcomed respite from the chain madness that it the Short Pump Town Center)?

NascarDad

Re:What's new in Richmond, VA? Sat, 03/19/11 6:15 PM (permalink)
                        I have enjoyed my visits to the Sunset Grill.   The food is very good too and I love the service.   Good burgers, and a healthy pour at the bar (actually it is unusual for me to even drink these days but the bar is very inviting )

I took my brother there for lunch when he was in town, in fact.

There is a new non chain place in the new strip mall next to the new Hilton, an italian wok place supposedly with great pizza too, I forget the name at this point.  He used to be somewhere south of the river and before that came via Sicily. 

Also read about a new non chain Italian in Lakeside.. I will have to track those down again.

carlton pierre

Re:What's new in Richmond, VA? Mon, 03/21/11 9:27 AM (permalink)
                          I went to a wonderful Vietnamese place a few weeks ago.  Mekong, on Broad St.  www.mekongva.com
                          Excellent food and a beer menu that was a lesson in geography.  Highly recommend.

NascarDad

Re:What's new in Richmond, VA? Wed, 03/23/11 12:10 PM (permalink)
                            I had pizza from the new Italian place (Osteria La Giara) in Short Pump.  Pretty good NY Style and I especially love that the Italian sausage is sliced, like pepperoni, not crumbled. 

I hope it does well because I think it could become one of my go-to places for takeout pizza (along with Capriccio's and Frank's West).  The place is a bit fancy to qualify as roadfood, the pasta cooked in the wok is cooked very quickly which should be a boon for travelers on the go, and it is nice to have another non chain place in the Short Pump area besides Sunset Grill and Patina Grill.

NascarDad

Re:What's new in Richmond, VA? Wed, 03/23/11 12:14 PM (permalink)
                              Also while not totally new, fairly new is the  BBQ cart on the south side of US 250 just a smidge west of Sunset Grill.  CD's Barbecue.  Mostly only had the ribs from here so far and they are better than most places I have tried. Obviously better than the steamed Bill's que, and better than Double Ts and the chain joints and Alexander's.

They are on Facebook.  33 Broad Street Road is the address, but they are in the parking lot behind that address.

wanderingjew

• Total Posts: 7408
                                • Roadfood Insider
                                Re:What's new in Richmond, VA? Wed, 03/23/11 1:23 PM (permalink)
                                Now that many of the traditional southern and soul food joints have been wiped out of business, are there any any traditional  non pretentious non "nu south" restaurants in the Richmond area besides the take out seafood joint Stuart's Fresh catch that still serves Spoon Bread?

NascarDad

Re:What's new in Richmond, VA? Tue, 03/29/11 9:59 AM (permalink)
                                  wanderingjew

Now that many of the traditional southern and soul food joints have been wiped out of business, are there any any traditional  non pretentious non "nu south" restaurants in the Richmond area besides the take out seafood joint Stuart's Fresh catch that still serves Spoon Bread?

Good question.  In the Richmond area, hmm.. I knew one place but it closed, another place but it is in Surry.  I don't think Satterwhite's has it either.. would have to put some thought into that. 

NascarDad

Re:What's new in Richmond, VA? Tue, 03/29/11 10:15 AM (permalink)
                                    Ahh knew I had it recently, must have been at Skilligalee, a seafood place on Glenside just north of US 250 and near I64. I don't see it on the website menu but I coulda sworn they had it as a side.

wanderingjew

• Roadfood Insider
                                      Re:What's new in Richmond, VA? Tue, 03/29/11 10:25 AM (permalink)
                                      NascarDad

Ahh knew I had it recently, must have been at Skilligalee, a seafood place on Glenside just north of US 250 and near I64. I don't see it on the website menu but I coulda sworn they had it as a side.

It's a real shame that that something that tastes so good is not offered on more menus, but sadly, it seems like most cities and urban areas nowadays, Richmond wants to shed it's past and be more cosmopolitan.

I used to go to Freckle's whenever I visited Richmond- and they always had spoon bread on the menu- Freckle's (along with McLean's) were always my go to places whenever I was in or passing through Richmond- it's a real shame tha Freckle's is gone now.

NascarDad

Re:What's new in Richmond, VA? Tue, 03/29/11 10:36 AM (permalink)
                                        wanderingjew

NascarDad

It's a real shame that that something that tastes so good is not offered on more menus, but sadly, it seems like most cities and urban areas nowadays, Richmond wants to shed it's past and be more cosmopolitan.

I used to go to Freckle's whenever I visited Richmond- and they always had spoon bread on the menu- Freckle's (along with McLean's) were always my go to places whenever I was in or passing through Richmond- it's a real shame tha Freckle's is gone now.

Funny you mention Freckles, I was just replying to your old thread about it.  Whenever I drive in that neighborhood I wonder if I have time to stop in, and then I re-remember that it is gone. 

I don't know that Skiligallee is good enough to warrant a stop just for the spoon bread, but their fried shrimp is above average for what they have.  Some other stuff is pretty lackluster.  I will keep my mind open if I can think of any other places.  The time that sticks out the most was down at Virginia diner when I had virginia ham and spoonbread one day for lunch and was not disappointed I missed breakfast. 
                                        <message edited by NascarDad on Tue, 03/29/11 10:37 AM>

wanderingjew

• Location: East Greenwich/ Warwick, RI
                                          • Roadfood Insider
                                          Re:What's new in Richmond, VA? Tue, 03/29/11 10:42 AM (permalink)
                                          NascarDad

wanderingjew

NascarDad

Funny you mention Freckles, I was just replying to your old thread about it.  Whenever I drive in that neighborhood I wonder if I have time to stop in, and then I re-remember that it is gone. 

I don't know that Skiligallee is good enough to warrant a stop just for the spoon bread, but their fried shrimp is above average for what they have.  Some other stuff is pretty lackluster.  I will keep my mind open if I can think of any other places.  The time that sticks out the most was down at Virginia diner when I had virginia ham and spoonbread one day for lunch and was not disappointed I missed breakfast. 

Thanks,

Although they don't offfer spoonbread another place that was very roadfood worthy was Mama Mary's Sugar and Spice-
                                          http://www.facebook.com/pages/Mama-Marys-SUGAR-SPICE-Restaurant/124588559658
                                          I wasn't impressed with their Green Beans or Collards, but everything else was outstanding- especially the Peach Cobbler and Sweet Potato Pie- in fact I used to think the Peach Cobbler at the Blue Willow in Social Circle Ga was the best- however the one served at Mama Mary's blew Blue Willow Inn right out of the water!

NascarDad

Re:What's new in Richmond, VA? Tue, 03/29/11 11:21 AM (permalink)
                                            You know thinking about it, Buz and Ned's is working (still) on their new location in the West End at the old Fuddrucker's , corner Parham and wst Broad.
                                            They mentioned they want to be able to expand their menu and include some things they used to have at their current site, since the new location will be about 3 times the size as their place on Boulevard.

The refurb stopped for a time, but Buz hired a new company a month or two ago, and from what I hear work has started again after not making much progress most of last year.

I would not be surprised to see spoonbread on the menu when it opens.

NascarDad

Re:What's new in Richmond, VA? Tue, 03/29/11 11:25 AM (permalink)
                                              wanderingjew

NascarDad

wanderingjew

NascarDad

Thanks,

Although they don't offfer spoonbread another place that was very roadfood worthy was Mama Mary's Sugar and Spice-
                                              http://www.facebook.com/pages/Mama-Marys-SUGAR-SPICE-Restaurant/124588559658
                                              I wasn't impressed with their Green Beans or Collards, but everything else was outstanding- especially the Peach Cobbler and Sweet Potato Pie- in fact I used to think the Peach Cobbler at the Blue Willow in Social Circle Ga was the best- however the one served at Mama Mary's blew Blue Willow Inn right out of the water!

Thanks.  I think I have only heard about that place once, but that isn't surprising sometimes; I mean Dairy Bar has been here for years and most people I talk to have never heard of it.

NascarDad

Re:What's new in Richmond, VA? Wed, 04/27/11 1:12 PM (permalink)
                                                New place opening in May in the original Cuisines location ( 9503 West Broad St.) called the HogsHead Cafe.

Not exactly sure hat is going to be on the menu, but to hear them say it, sounds like it could be roadfood to me.

"Although the name HogsHead might suggest just barbeque, Steve there’s more to it.
                                                “We’re not going to compete with a Buzz or Ned’s,” he said. “We’re going to do a little bit of everything.”
                                                Kim said the menu will be classic comfort food with a mix of classic American dishes and her own recipes.
                                                The pair said they are going to source ingredients from local bakeries, butchers and farmers.
                                                “We want to focus on repeat business, people that are able to come in two to three times a week,” said Kim.
                                                “Where everybody knows everybody,” Steve added.
                                                <message edited by NascarDad on Wed, 04/27/11 1:13 PM>

i95

Re:What's new in Richmond, VA? Wed, 04/27/11 8:23 PM (permalink)

NascarDad, have you yet been to Richmond's new(er)

Cook Out restaurant on East Ridge Road?

NascarDad

Re:What's new in Richmond, VA? Wed, 04/27/11 9:31 PM (permalink)
                                                    i95

NascarDad, have you yet been to Richmond's new(er)

Cook Out restaurant on East Ridge Road?

No I want to go but have had limited opportunities.  I don't leave the building for lunch (and I hear the place is slammed for lunch) and I go the other way home.  The one day I thought about going, I went to Stewart's Fresh Catch instead

If it weren't race week I might try to go this Friday but I suspect it could be busier than usual. Could be an idea for Saturday though.. go off peak with the kids.. hmmmm.. :)

NascarDad

Re:What's new in Richmond, VA? Thu, 04/28/11 7:35 PM (permalink)
                                                      Two new places out towards me I need to try

1) Country Folks Grille and Saloon Sounds like they have comfort food and it is right near I64, so perfect spot for Roadfood. It is in the old Manakin Grill location behind the Valero on Ashland Rd.

2) JJ's Seafood and Lawn Care - Ok, well I, mr Anti Chain , have to give this place a try.  They are at the Rockville Market, and opened about a week ago.  However, I need to clarify which Rockville Market because I think there could be 2 (which would be odd because there may only be 2 stores of any kind in Rockville VA, and probably fewer) Apparently the lawn care facility is separate , the seafood is sold from a tent.  There are signs up all over eastern Goochland.. ok well at least 2 of them lol.

I will have a report on one or both of these hopefully soon.
                                                      <message edited by NascarDad on Thu, 04/28/11 7:37 PM>

RKB

• Total Posts: 168
                                                        Re:What's new in Richmond, VA? Thu, 05/19/11 12:00 PM (permalink)
                                                        I'm going to be in the Bon Air/Midlothian area over Memorial Day weekend. Any decent roadfood-type places in that area? Breakfast and dinner, primarily...hopefully....
                                                        TIA,
                                                        Bill
                                                        <message edited by RKB on Thu, 05/19/11 12:02 PM>

i95

• Location: Sin City, VA
                                                          Re:What's new in Richmond, VA? Thu, 05/19/11 12:48 PM (permalink)
                                                          RKB

I'm going to be in the Bon Air/Midlothian area over Memorial Day weekend. Any decent roadfood-type places in that area? Breakfast and dinner, primarily...hopefully....
                                                          TIA,
                                                          Bill

While, hopefully, you'll soon here of more "road food" type places in that part of the Commonwealth just south of the city of Richmond, allow me to throw out a place which I just love, have been to multiple times and, yet, have not yet mentioned on this site that being Carena's Jamaican Grille located at 7102 Midlothian Turnpike in Richmond.

Owned by the same woman who owns and operates downtown Richmond's Jamaica House restaurant, Carena's Jamaican Grille is an otherwise diamond in the rough that is Midlothian Turnpike. While housed in the shell of a former restaurant (Friendlys? IHOP?), the place's bright, Caribbean colors (aqua blue, terra cota) will draw you in to true, largely un-Anglocized and delicious Jamaican cooking along the likes of Pepper Pot Soup, jerk chicken, oxtail, conch fritters and the like.

Last time I was there, I ordered two orders to-go of Carena's incredible curry coconut pumpkin soup which we used as an appetizer for Thanksgiving. Again, it's not barbeque, ham or spoon bread but if you're looking for something delicious albeit grossly regionally inappropriate whilst in Richmond, Carena's is the place. 

i95

• Location: Sin City, VA
                                                            Re:What's new in Richmond, VA? Thu, 05/19/11 1:00 PM (permalink)

In addition, last week, Mrs. i95 dined here last week for lunch --

another place south of the rivah (James River, that is):

Positive Vibe Cafe

2825 Hathaway Road in Richmond, VA 23225

In addition to her summarization of the place's soup-and-salad fare as being top notch (including both a salmon & prosciutto and grilled shrimp & bacon club sandwich), the place is equally known for providing persons with disabilities opportunities in the restaurant industry.

I've not yet been there but it may be worth a look. They serve both lunch and dinner. FYI.

P.S. Have you been there NascarDad

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                              Change Page: 123 > | Showing page 1 of 3, messages 1 to 30 of 62

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 2 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com