Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Kentucky Hot Browns

Change Page: 123 > | Showing page 1 of 3, messages 1 to 30 of 81
chezkatie

• Total Posts: 1329
Kentucky Hot Browns Mon, 09/12/05 9:05 AM (permalink)
I never had a Kentucky Hot Brown and never thought I would want one but after seeing that picture on the featured Roadfood restaurant today, I have changed my mind.

I will make some this week as I am roasting a large turkey breast for dinner tonight. I did a seach and came up with the recipe that this hotel uses for it sandwich. Here it is:

This the recipe currently used at the Camberley Brown Hotel in Louisville, Kentucky.

Ingredients:

6 tablespoons butter
6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
3 cups milk
1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
1 egg, room temperature and beaten
Salt and black pepper to taste
1/2 cup prepared whipped cream
8 slices toasted white bread, crust trimmed off
1 pound cooked turkey breast, thinly sliced
Grated Parmesan cheese for topping
1 (2-ounce) jar diced pimientos, drained
8 bacon slices, fried crisp

Instructions:

In a large saucepan over medium heat, melt butter. Gradually add flour, stirring constantly, until smooth and free from lumps. Gradually stir in milk until sauce comes to a gentle boil, stirring constantly; remove from heat. Add Parmesan cheese and stir until melted and well blended.

In a small bowl, beat egg. Gradually add 1 cup of hot sauce, 1/3 cup at a time, to the egg, stirring constantly. Gradually add egg mixture to remaining sauce, stirring constantly until well blended; add salt and pepper to taste. Fold in whipped cream.

For each Hot Brown sandwich, place two slices of toasted bread on a metal (or flameproof) dish. Cover the toast with a liberal amount of turkey. Pour a generous amount of sauce over the turkey. Sprinkle with additional Parmesan cheese. Place entire dish under a broiler until the sauce is speckled brown and bubbly. Remove from broiler, sprinkle with diced pimientos, cross two pieces of bacon over the top, and serve immediately.

Yield: Makes 4 servings of two open-faced sandwiches each.

UncleVic

• Total Posts: 6025
    • Roadfood Insider
    RE: Kentucky Hot Browns Mon, 09/12/05 9:41 AM (permalink)
    Thanks Chezkatie.. I asked Tippy Lee from Eastern Kentucky about them, but he injured his leg and has been out of reach for the last 3 weeks. Was curious myself after reading about them!

seafarer john

RE: Kentucky Hot Browns Mon, 09/12/05 9:50 AM (permalink)
      Hello, Room Service? Please send up a turkey club sandwich on whole wheat toast- hold the cream sauce, thanks. Oh, and my wife would like to try that hot brown thingie, thanks.

Cheers, John

Tom-Fl

• Total Posts: 74
        RE: Kentucky Hot Browns Mon, 09/12/05 10:37 AM (permalink)
        They are a Brown Hotel of Louisville original.

A couple of decent ones are to be found in Lexinton.

They would be virtually unheard of in e Ky.

Tom

alesrus

• Total Posts: 292
          RE: Kentucky Hot Browns Mon, 09/12/05 11:37 AM (permalink)
          quote:
          Originally posted by chezkatie

I never had a Kentucky Hot Brown and never thought I would want one but after seeing that picture on the featured Roadfood restaurant today, I have changed my mind.

I will make some this week as I am roasting a large turkey breast for dinner tonight. I did a seach and came up with the recipe that this hotel uses for it sandwich. Here it is:

This the recipe currently used at the Camberley Brown Hotel in Louisville, Kentucky.

Ingredients:

6 tablespoons butter
          6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
          3 cups milk
          1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
          1 egg, room temperature and beaten
          Salt and black pepper to taste
          1/2 cup prepared whipped cream
          8 slices toasted white bread, crust trimmed off
          1 pound cooked turkey breast, thinly sliced
          Grated Parmesan cheese for topping
          1 (2-ounce) jar diced pimientos, drained
          8 bacon slices, fried crisp

Instructions:

In a large saucepan over medium heat, melt butter. Gradually add flour, stirring constantly, until smooth and free from lumps. Gradually stir in milk until sauce comes to a gentle boil, stirring constantly; remove from heat. Add Parmesan cheese and stir until melted and well blended.

In a small bowl, beat egg. Gradually add 1 cup of hot sauce, 1/3 cup at a time, to the egg, stirring constantly. Gradually add egg mixture to remaining sauce, stirring constantly until well blended; add salt and pepper to taste. Fold in whipped cream.

For each Hot Brown sandwich, place two slices of toasted bread on a metal (or flameproof) dish. Cover the toast with a liberal amount of turkey. Pour a generous amount of sauce over the turkey. Sprinkle with additional Parmesan cheese. Place entire dish under a broiler until the sauce is speckled brown and bubbly. Remove from broiler, sprinkle with diced pimientos, cross two pieces of bacon over the top, and serve immediately.

Yield: Makes 4 servings of two open-faced sandwiches each.

Any recipe that starts out with 6 tablespoons butter has to be good

Sundancer7

RE: Kentucky Hot Browns Mon, 09/12/05 11:56 AM (permalink)
            I think the the Hot Brown is one of the Mayor's favorites if I recall correctly. I believe he has written about them before.

I have been in Louisville many times but for some reason, I have never tried it.

Paul E. Smith
            Knoxville, TN

jm199

• Total Posts: 215
              RE: Kentucky Hot Browns Mon, 09/12/05 12:14 PM (permalink)

In Pittsburgh, this sandwich is called a Turkey Devonshire, "invented" by Frank Blandi. I have been eating them my entire life. Oh so good!!

TJ Jackson

• Total Posts: 4480
                RE: Kentucky Hot Browns Mon, 09/12/05 12:20 PM (permalink)

jm199

• Total Posts: 215
                  RE: Kentucky Hot Browns Mon, 09/12/05 12:51 PM (permalink)

Here is the recipe for Frank Blandi's Turkey Devonshire. If you intend to make it, make more than one as they keep well in the fridge for a late evening snack!!!

www.post-gazette.com/food/20010215mailbox.asp

mayor al

• Total Posts: 15057
                    • Roadfood Insider
                    RE: Kentucky Hot Browns Mon, 09/12/05 1:14 PM (permalink)

I would call the HOT BROWN a very distant cousin to Welsh Rarebit, or a cross between that and a Turkey and cheese. They are a very good dish...but finding really good ones like the Brown Hotel's example in Michael Sterns and TJ's photos is a bit hard to do. Lots of places have them on the menu, but few are as good as the Brown's. One place NOT to order them is Claudia Sanders dinner House. Janet tried one there and was very disappointed.

seafarer john

RE: Kentucky Hot Browns Mon, 09/12/05 2:03 PM (permalink)
                      It looks to me like turkey tetrazinni on toast. And my opinion of turkey tetrazinni is that it is an abomination and an inexcusable attack on the human taste buds.

That said, I did once eat a Kentuckey Hot Brown in the Brown Hotel. It was election night 1955 and it was a black evening for Democrats - the Eisenhower Republicans were in their glory that night. Anyhow, I was in the Army at Ft Knox and had driven into Louisville to help the Democrats celebrate at the Brown Hotel. Our celebration turned into a wake . I along with a lot of others, drank a bit too much bourbon and sometime late in the night I found myself at a table with locals eating the famous Kentuckey Hot Brown At the time I had little interest in food, so it was'nt particularly memorable , and I had almost forgotten all about it until the Stern's posted
                      their photo.

Cheers, John

linus

• Total Posts: 252
                        RE: Kentucky Hot Browns Mon, 09/12/05 2:12 PM (permalink)
                        You know, reading that recipe, I just realized that I've been making something very much like a hot brown, only with lean ham instead of turkey, and tomato slices.
                        Try it, it's really good!

Poverty Pete

• Total Posts: 2266
                          RE: Kentucky Hot Browns Mon, 09/12/05 4:22 PM (permalink)
                          Al, per our conversation yesterday, I'm wondering whether a visit to the Brown Hotel might be in order on a certain upcoming Saturday?

Sandy Eggo

• Total Posts: 226
                            RE: Kentucky Hot Browns Mon, 09/12/05 4:51 PM (permalink)
                            Looks good to me. It also is one of those dishes that you have to try at the source which is part of the mystique.

chezkatie

RE: Kentucky Hot Browns Mon, 09/12/05 5:32 PM (permalink)
                              quote:
                              Originally posted by Sandy Eggo

Looks good to me. It also is one of those dishes that you have to try at the source which is part of the mystique.

Well, I cannot get there in the next few months so am going to try my best to recreate it at home and hopefully, it will be great.

QFan

• Total Posts: 641
                                RE: Kentucky Hot Browns Wed, 09/14/05 7:52 PM (permalink)
                                Many years ago on a trip w/ Mrs QFan we stopped in the small town of Winchester, Kentucky (near Lexington). There was an old hotel downtown popular w/ the courthouse crowd (wish I could remember the name of it) where we were advised to go by some locals. There I was introduced to my first Hot Kentucky Brown. Looked a lot like TJ's picture as I remember it now. Boy was it good (or maybe it was just the thrill of finding some good local roadfood in a strange place), but I will always remember it. Yummm!

QFan
                                Bonita Springs, FL

Pigiron

• Total Posts: 1384
                                  • Roadfood Insider
                                  RE: Kentucky Hot Browns Wed, 09/14/05 8:32 PM (permalink)
                                  I had a Hot Brown sandwich at the Brown Hotel in Louisville last year after seeing it on the Food Channel a thousand times. There's really nothing to warrant so many accolades. It's OK, a decent meal, but it's too greasy, too bland and just to simple a dish to make such a big deal out of. Just my opinion, of course, but I enjoyed the fried bologna sandwich at Slugger Field a lot more.

Scorereader

• Total Posts: 5546
                                    RE: Kentucky Hot Browns Thu, 09/15/05 11:36 AM (permalink)
                                    quote:
                                    Originally posted by seafarer john

It looks to me like turkey tetrazinni on toast. And my opinion of turkey tetrazinni is that it is an abomination and an inexcusable attack on the human taste buds.

That said, I did once eat a Kentuckey Hot Brown in the Brown Hotel. It was election night 1955 and it was a black evening for Democrats - the Eisenhower Republicans were in their glory that night. Anyhow, I was in the Army at Ft Knox and had driven into Louisville to help the Democrats celebrate at the Brown Hotel. Our celebration turned into a wake . I along with a lot of others, drank a bit too much bourbon and sometime late in the night I found myself at a table with locals eating the famous Kentuckey Hot Brown At the time I had little interest in food, so it was'nt particularly memorable , and I had almost forgotten all about it until the Stern's posted
                                    their photo.

Cheers, John

That doesn't look anything like turkey tetrazzini, which happens to be one of my favorite T-Day leftover dishes to make with the extra turkey.

I use my mother's recipe, which has been spread from friends and family, to their friends and family, etc and is served at homes from Maine to North Carolina to Ontario, Canada.

If the turkey tetrazzini you had resembles the Hot Brown without toast, I can see why you don't like turkey tet.

Hillbilly

• Total Posts: 992
                                      RE: Kentucky Hot Browns Thu, 09/15/05 11:59 AM (permalink)
                                      I had a Hot Brown at "Pat's on the River" near Winchester, KY. I wasn't impressed. In fact, I was downright disappointed.

But Pat's is a fine example of a "Roadfood" place. Have any of you Kentuckian's been there?

chezkatie

RE: Kentucky Hot Browns Thu, 09/15/05 12:48 PM (permalink)
                                        I made Kentucky Hot Browns for dinner last night. None of us had ever had one before but everyone loved them! We will be having them again.

wheregreggeats.com

RE: Kentucky Hot Browns Thu, 09/15/05 12:56 PM (permalink)
                                          I've never been to The Brown ...

I had one the other day at Billy Martin's in DC -- they say their's is "famous" or something like that ... in any case, they were bragging about it.

It was good ... a little better after it cooled down a bit ... but, somehow, I thought, I could be just as decadent and enjoyed something else -- I don't know what else -- more.

Off to KY I guess

westsidetommy

• Total Posts: 22
                                            RE: Kentucky Hot Browns Mon, 10/24/05 8:03 PM (permalink)
                                            I had a hot brown last week at Ramseys in Lexington, a place I was sent to by locals.

I thought the sandwich was very blah; just a big gloopy mess. If this was a hot brown I reckon I've had my last and I'm moving to Lexington. I mean I can't imagine what you'd do to make it better.

On the other hand the pot-roast my wife ordered was very good.

Cheezburger

• Total Posts: 13
                                              RE: Kentucky Hot Browns Sat, 06/3/06 7:39 AM (permalink)
                                              Had my first HB in '02 at the Hurstbourne exit Holiday Inn. I didn't expect it to be too good at an HI but I got hooked! Turned my wife on to them and it was love at first sight (again). We got a recipie off the internet and have made them at home. They are a pretty good representation but not quite the same. I took my wife to the Brown hotel on her birthday this past March to get the real thing and it was KILLER! They give you a recipie at the hotel but our waitress said that they leave 2 ingredients out. She told us one is tabasco but wouldn't reveal the other one.
                                              Anybody got an idea as to what it is?
                                              Ever get the chance try one at the Brown Hotel in Louisville, KY. I don't think you would be disappointed.

shortchef

• Total Posts: 624
                                                RE: Kentucky Hot Browns Sat, 06/3/06 10:46 PM (permalink)
                                                Nope, you wouldn't be disappointed. I stayed there years ago and God knows the Brown doesn't mess with a good thing. That was the best hot sandwich I have ever had. I make them for company. I think it's the combination of (delicious) flavors that makes everybody love them. They are better in the summer with fresh tomatoes; glad to hear that they are beloved by so many people.

linus

• Total Posts: 252
                                                  RE: Kentucky Hot Browns Sat, 06/3/06 11:26 PM (permalink)
                                                  Hey. If t.J. Jackson Says He had one , then , he did. Listen to the voice of reason, people, here.

gregsgoatfarm

• Total Posts: 52
                                                    • Location: Scenic SouthCentral Indiana
                                                    RE: Kentucky Hot Browns Sun, 03/18/12 8:12 PM (permalink)
                                                    My first Hot Brown was in Indianapolis circa 1975 at a lunch counter near 38th and High School Rd.  It was an epiphany.  Lately I've tried to get an annual Hot Brown fix.  Last year it was at BBC in downtown Louisville.  Last week we enjoyed this interpretation at Bristols in Jeffersonville, IN.  Really good.

<message edited by gregsgoatfarm on Fri, 08/31/12 8:00 AM>

ann peeples

• Total Posts: 8317
                                                      • Location: West Allis, Wisconsin
                                                      RE: Kentucky Hot Browns Sun, 03/18/12 10:07 PM (permalink)
                                                      Looks awesome, Greg!

Foodbme

• Total Posts: 9526
                                                        RE: Kentucky Hot Browns Sun, 03/18/12 10:08 PM (permalink)
                                                        Cheezburger

I took my wife to the Brown hotel on her birthday this past March to get the real thing and it was KILLER! They give you a recipe at the hotel but our waitress said that they leave 2 ingredients out. She told us one is tabasco but wouldn't reveal the other one.
                                                        Anybody got an idea as to what it is?

This is the recipe from the Brown Hotel's web site. Is it the same one they gave you?
                                                        The Legendary Hot Brown Recipe
                                                        Ingredients (Makes Two Hot Browns):
                                                        • 2 oz. Whole Butter
                                                        • 2 oz. All Purpose Flour
                                                        • 16 oz. Heavy Cream
                                                        • 1/2 Cup Pecorino Romano Cheese, Plus 1 Tablespoon for Garnish
                                                        • Salt & Pepper to Taste
                                                        • 14 oz. Sliced Roasted Turkey Breast
                                                        • 2 Slices of Texas Toast (Crust Trimmed)
                                                        • 4 slices of Crispy Bacon
                                                        • 2 Roma Tomatoes, Sliced in Half
                                                        • Paprika
                                                        • Parsley
                                                        In a two-quart saucepan, melt butter and slowly whisk in flour until combined and forms a thick paste (roux). Continue to cook roux for two minutes over medium-low heat, stirring frequently. Whisk heavy cream into the roux and cook over medium heat until the cream begins to simmer, about 2-3 minutes. Remove sauce from heat and slowly whisk in Pecorino Romano cheese until the Mornay sauce is smooth. Add salt and pepper to taste.
                                                        For each Hot Brown, place one slice of toast in an oven safe dish and cover with 7 ounces of turkey. Take the two halves of Roma tomato and set them alongside the base of turkey and toast. Next, pour one half of the Mornay sauce to completely cover the dish. Sprinkle with additional Pecorino Romano cheese. Place entire dish under a broiler until cheese begins to brown and bubble. Remove from broiler, cross two pieces of crispy bacon on top, sprinkle with paprika and parsley, and serve immediately.

Sundancer7

RE: Kentucky Hot Browns Wed, 03/21/12 4:23 PM (permalink)
                                                           A portion of the Glee club stopped in there several years ago before we treked on to Moonlite BBQ in Owensboro,KY for the largest gathering of the Glee club ever.  If I recall there was better than 35 of us.  I do not recall who visited the Brown Hotel with the Mayor, Janet and myself.  I do recall it was very good and the next day at the Moonlite was even better.

I am sure the Mayor has some pics from that event.

Paul E. Smith
                                                          Knoxville, TN 

scrumptiouschef

• Total Posts: 638
                                                            • Location: austin, TX
                                                            RE: Kentucky Hot Browns Mon, 03/26/12 11:28 AM (permalink)
                                                            seafarer john

their photo.

Cheers, John

That's the kind of writing I love.  History mixed in with the food. Great job. Two places in Lexington offer a good Hot Brown: Ramsay's Diner and Dudley's. Dudley's is better but more expensive.

I grew up eating them in Corbin, Kentucky but not from restaurants. I guess my mom had sampled one on her travels across the state and crafted a recipe for the house. They are delicious if carefully done.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                              Change Page: 123 > | Showing page 1 of 3, messages 1 to 30 of 81

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 2 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com