The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider

11th Annual Jersey Hot Dog Tour - Sept 13th , 2014 - past trip reports

Change Page: << < ..414243 > | Showing page 41 of 43, messages 1201 to 1230 of 1280
ken8038

• Total Posts: 1559
Re:8th Annual Jersey Hot Dog Tour - Sept 24th , 2011 - past trip reports Fri, 09/23/11 6:49 PM (permalink)
Hi John. In spite of your advice, I usually like to splurge and have an order of french fries or onion rings at some point during the day if one place has really good ones. Do you have a recommendation as to which place may have the best fries or rings? I know Galloping Hill has great onion rings, but I don't want to start off by overdoing it at the first stop.

Thanks, see you all tomorrow!

John Fox

• Total Posts: 2313
    Re:8th Annual Jersey Hot Dog Tour - Sept 24th , 2011 - past trip reports Fri, 09/23/11 6:54 PM (permalink)
    Ken,
              I don't eat onions so I wouldn't know about the onion rings. As for fries I've heard Out of This World has good ones. I haven't had them. I have had the fries at Jack's and they are very good. Fresh, not the cheap frozen fries that most serve. Manny's, GHI, are ok, but not worth spending the calories on. I'd go with Jack's or Out of This World.

John Fox

Re:8th Annual Jersey Hot Dog Tour - Sept 24th , 2011 - past trip reports Fri, 09/23/11 6:56 PM (permalink)
      http://southorange.patch.com/articles/meet-the-man-who-made-hot-dogs-his-hobby

Part 2 in the Patch Series about the Tour. I'm not the guy pictured.

Benzee

• Total Posts: 1872
        Re:8th Annual Jersey Hot Dog Tour - Sept 24th , 2011 - past trip reports Fri, 09/23/11 10:15 PM (permalink)
        Hello all ,
        Looking forward to seeing everyone tommorrow on the 8th Annual Jersey Hot Dog Tour
        Remember to bring your cameras and your appetite
        Pace yourself and remember , no one on the bus is a stranger , just a friend you have not met yet (:
        Benzee

ken8038

Re:8th Annual Jersey Hot Dog Tour - Sept 24th , 2011 - past trip reports Fri, 09/23/11 11:34 PM (permalink)
          Thanks John for the info on the fries, looks like Jack's will be the fry stop for me (I have not been there yet, been saving my first visit for the tour).

See y'all tomorrow!

johnlockedema

• Total Posts: 155
            Re:8th Annual Jersey Hot Dog Tour - Sept 24th , 2011 - past trip reports Sat, 09/24/11 8:51 PM (permalink)
            Let me be the first to thank Benzee and John for their efforts on the tour-everything was great, and let's all forget about the owners of Out of This World who underperformed.  I had been there a month ago and asked them about their ability to move 100 people through-and they said they'd have it covered.  Again, Benzee, John, Bear (our tour guide on bus 2) kudos to all.

CajunKing

• Total Posts: 6317
              • Roadfood Insider
              Re:8th Annual Jersey Hot Dog Tour - Sept 24th , 2011 - past trip reports Sat, 09/24/11 9:05 PM (permalink)
              WELL?????
              Where's the photographic evidence of the gastronomic experience? We Want details...

or

Are you all still in a hot dog induced coma?
              <message edited by CajunKing on Sat, 09/24/11 9:06 PM>

johnlockedema

• Total Posts: 155
                Re:8th Annual Jersey Hot Dog Tour - Sept 24th , 2011 - past trip reports Sat, 09/24/11 11:34 PM (permalink)
                I haven't been able to figure out how to post pics here, but I put up plenty on the Hot Dog Nation facebook site.

MikeS.

• Total Posts: 5360
                  • Roadfood Insider
                  Re:8th Annual Jersey Hot Dog Tour - Sept 24th , 2011 - past trip reports Sun, 09/25/11 12:23 AM (permalink)
                  Well darn it, last minute problems at home kept me from coming. I was sure looking forward to this. I hope y'all had a great time.

John Fox

Re:8th Annual Jersey Hot Dog Tour - Sept 24th , 2011 - past trip reports Sun, 09/25/11 4:52 AM (permalink)
                    Another Tour completed. I'd like to thank my partner Benzee, who does a great job every year organizing this Tour. And also our drivers, those who worked hard preparing our food; and last, but not least, all who attended who helped make this a special day for me.

I'd like to apologize for including Out of This World. A new place that serves good hot dogs but wasn't ready for our large group. We had to leave before most were served or we would have been there all day. I always am in contact with the people who run all the places we stop at, and I was assured by the owner that they would be ready for us. I should have known better.

The other stops made up for it. We had excellent German style dogs at the Galloping Hill Inn, as it is our meeting point and the only place that has been on every Tour. After Out of This World, we went to Soup or Dogs, a first time inclusion on the Tour. We enjoyed excellent dirty water Sabretts. Very good tomatoey chili as well as a variety of soups.

Next was Jack's Frank & Fries, another first time stop. They also offered natural casing beef franks, but you had a choice of steamed or grilled (griddled). Most got griddled. Another excellent dog, reminiscent of Papaya King and Katz's in NYC. I loved their thick chocolatey chili.

Manny's was next. A Tour veteran, it's been a few years since we went to Manny's. Despite a crowded restaurant and our large group, we were seated quickly and served in an amazingly short amount of time. Excellent service at Manny's. Known for their famous Texas Weiners, Manny's was a favorite.

Our last stop was Jimmy Buff's. Another Tour veteran, Jimmy the owner was taking orders and making sure everything ran smoothly. We enjoyed their signature Italian Hot Dogs along with their delicious natural casing beef franks.

Votes on the bus I was on for favorite stop was pretty evenly spread out this year. Jimmy Buff's received the most votes, followed by Manny's. Soup or Dogs and Jack's also got a lot of votes. Galloping Hill Inn had a few while Out of This World didn't receive any. Too bad that most didn't get a chance to sample their dogs which are quite good.

Thanks again everyone for making this day special and enjoyable. We had people from 10 different states this year including Burt Fleischer from Chicago, Norwood Fleming from Alabama, Johnny McLanahan from Oklahoma, ScreenBear's friend from California, and others that perhaps Benzee can name. And of course Ellen Fried from New Jersey!

John Fox

Re:8th Annual Jersey Hot Dog Tour - Sept 24th , 2011 - past trip reports Sun, 09/25/11 5:10 AM (permalink)
                       Some of our stops have web sites and Facebook pages. You might want to let them know what you think. And of course feel free to share your comments, suggestions, and criticisms here as well.

Benzee

Re:8th Annual Jersey Hot Dog Tour - Sept 24th , 2011 - past trip reports Sun, 09/25/11 10:00 AM (permalink)
                        Hello all ,
                        Great tour once again , photos are posted on FB Hot Dog Nation and Erwin Benz pages . I never have  been able to post pics here myself.

2012 Tour is scheduled for Sat Sept 22nd , of next yr , an easy date to remember as its Johns birthday (:
                        Great Job by John anoouncing the stops and the intinerary
                        Great job by our drivers Dennis and Gary .
                        Screenbear for handling the announcing duties on second motorcoach , great job as well .
                        Everyone liked the shirts designed by Coney Island Lou , he has to be contacted to see if  he can order more .
                        Jimmy and his staff at Jimmy Buffs were fantastic once again , refreshments were gratis
                        James Jr is opening another Jimmy Buffs soon and John will get all the info on here soon
                        Mannys Texas Weiners served us smoothly and swiftly , Mannys wife handled our group as Manny is in Greece with his ailing Mom and we  wish him well he was missed , but the rest of his family odviously share his enthuisiasm for Texas Weiners for sure
                        Soup or Dogs for a  truck were swift too , great shrimp bisque soup . One note is we were told the samples of soups would be gratis and for larger bowls you would purchase , but when we arrived  they were charging $1 a sample , not a biggie but not what we were told either ,
                        Frank and Fries were great as well , owner very accomodating to our group , more so than the Sprint store next store who s manager complained about our busses blocking his biz , well I'm sure they were all heading in to get their phones repaired because mine has not been able to recharge and I have to get it looked at , yes Sprint . Interacting with him and his unprofessional behavior just might tip me into leaving them finally after all these yrs. Great stop though !!
                        Galloping Hill Inn  is  a mainstay , great big parking lot , great food and friendly employees and they embrace our group every yr .
                        Out of This World failed our group , they were not prepared despite telling John otherwise , the Alien guy out front was nice in costume  m but after a half hour of orders being taken and no food coming out I kinda wish he would have hopped behind the grill to help
                        Never done before we actually aborted the stop and left before all had been served , apologies to those that were really looking forward to one their , but had we stayed we would have been there all day  for sure , I myslef would never return there .
                        All in all another great day.
                        Norwood from Alabama , Johnny McClanahan from Oklahoma , Burt Flreischer from Chicago Ill , Screenbears friend from California , The Kramers from Maryland , NY , NJ , PA and CT and Owen Pollock from MA . Ten States , Two Motorcoaches  , Six Stops , Hot Dog Nirvana , Always a pleasure (:

ken8038

Re:8th Annual Jersey Hot Dog Tour - Sept 24th , 2011 - past trip reports Sun, 09/25/11 12:52 PM (permalink)
                          Thanks once again John and Benzee for a great tour! My group (none of whom had been on a tour before) really enjoyed themselves too. My personal favorite yesterday was the Texas Weiner at Manny's. I had been there before, but they seem to have kicked it up a notch with both the sauce and the dog itself, cooked perfectly. And the service was amazing, they were really on the ball.

It didn't bother me that the soup samples at soup or dogs were $1. I'm guessing the $1 portions were bigger than what they would have given out for free. And I can't wait for that first 20 degree day in November, when I plan to drive down there and get myself a full order of that Hungarian Goulash!

Hopefully someone can post a group picture here, or I may finally have to join Facebook just for that.

Thanks again guys!

karilyn

• Total Posts: 141
                            Re:8th Annual Jersey Hot Dog Tour - Sept 24th , 2011 - past trip reports Sun, 09/25/11 1:20 PM (permalink)
                            Just joining in on shouting out an enormous THANK YOU to Benzee and all of his partners in crime.  Heather, Matt and I were first timers who drove 3 1/2 hours from MA and we had a fantastic time.  We're not sure what was better - the food or the free comedy on the bus.  Don't think we'll be eating for days!!!!

Dog Boss

• Total Posts: 206
                              Re:8th Annual Jersey Hot Dog Tour - Sept 24th , 2011 - past trip reports Tue, 09/27/11 12:15 PM (permalink)
                              John Fox

http://southorange.patch.com/articles/meet-the-man-who-made-hot-dogs-his-hobby

Part 2 in the Patch Series about the Tour. I'm not the guy pictured.

your right John.. he's lot more famous then you !!!!

John Fox

Re:8th Annual Jersey Hot Dog Tour - Sept 24th , 2011 - past trip reports Tue, 09/27/11 3:04 PM (permalink)
                                Really? Not that that's saying much. Friend of yours?

Benzee

Re:8th Annual Jersey Hot Dog Tour - Sept 24th , 2011 - past trip reports Tue, 09/27/11 6:13 PM (permalink)
                                  Hello all ,
                                  Believe thats Samuel Applebaum a friend of Scotts and a nice guy as well
                                  Benzee

ScreenBear

• Total Posts: 1503
                                    Re:8th Annual Jersey Hot Dog Tour - Sept 24th , 2011 - past trip reports Thu, 09/29/11 12:04 PM (permalink)
                                    Does anyone know how I can see the tour pics without joining Facebook? I'd sooner shop at Walmart. 

The Bear

harriet1954

• Total Posts: 1086
                                      Re:8th Annual Jersey Hot Dog Tour - Sept 24th , 2011 - past trip reports Thu, 09/29/11 12:14 PM (permalink)
                                      ScreenBear

Does anyone know how I can see the tour pics without joining Facebook? I'd sooner shop at Walmart. 

The Bear

When I post mine on flickr, which may take a few days, I can send you the link to my set. You can send me your email address in a message if you want. I took 70-something pictures and some videos. 

ScreenBear

• Total Posts: 1503
                                        Re:8th Annual Jersey Hot Dog Tour - Sept 24th , 2011 - past trip reports Thu, 09/29/11 1:18 PM (permalink)
                                        Sounds good, but I fear even that may be beyond my skill level.

The Bear

harriet1954

• Total Posts: 1086
                                          Re:8th Annual Jersey Hot Dog Tour - Sept 24th , 2011 - past trip reports Thu, 09/29/11 2:04 PM (permalink)
                                          No no, you just click on the link I send you and it takes you right there, I promise. I can't post 70-some photos on here, I'm sorry. Ellen might be able to post some of hers, I'm sure.

John Fox

Re:8th Annual Jersey Hot Dog Tour - Sept 24th , 2011 - past trip reports Fri, 09/30/11 7:52 AM (permalink)

Benzee

Re:8th Annual Jersey Hot Dog Tour - Sept 24th , 2011 - past trip reports Thu, 10/6/11 10:46 AM (permalink)
                                              Hello all ,
                                              The buzz was to get together after the tour to visit Charlies Pool Room in Alpha NJ , many tour attendees had not been there yet and it is Hot Dog Nirvana and a one of a kind experience .
                                              Therefore on Tues Oct 18th we will have a meet up at Charlies Pool Room in Alpha NJ High Noon
                                              John Fox and Benzee will be in attendance ( John pending he does not get called into work )
                                              I have posted another thread under meets and greets so respond there if you are coming so we have a head count .
                                              Benzee

Dog Boss

Re:8th Annual Jersey Hot Dog Tour - Sept 24th , 2011 - past trip reports Thu, 10/27/11 2:06 PM (permalink)
                                                i'm looking at hot dog locations , i think theres a fair share to share with the tour, i'll comply a list. i  think theres  a interest for a mid year mini tour.
                                                suggestion's from other hot doggers will be great, we have a fairly large group of solo fliers.  so i'm sure there plenty of ideas and locations.

Benzee

Re:8th Annual Jersey Hot Dog Tour - Sept 24th , 2011 - past trip reports Fri, 10/28/11 10:25 PM (permalink)
                                                  Dog Boss ,
                                                  Feel free to share any possible  stops for next yrs 9th Annual Jersey Hot Dog Tour with John Fox . Some great ideas from attendees . Always looking at possible get togethers  , especially in the Spring

Benzee

Benzee

Re:8th Annual Jersey Hot Dog Tour - Sept 24th , 2011 - past trip reports Fri, 11/18/11 10:01 PM (permalink)
                                                    Hello all

The 9th Annual Jersey Hot Dog Tour is scheduled for Sat Sept 22nd , 2012 .
                                                    We already have the attendee list up and reservations coming in .
                                                    Benzee

Dog Boss

• Location: Central Jersey, NJ
                                                      Re:8th Annual Jersey Hot Dog Tour - Sept 24th , 2011 - past trip reports Wed, 03/14/12 5:00 PM (permalink)
                                                      well, i guess this place lost a little bit of it's steam ........... gotten quite around here................

Benzee

• Location: Bullville , NY
                                                        Re:8th Annual Jersey Hot Dog Tour - Sept 24th , 2011 - past trip reports Sun, 03/18/12 4:30 PM (permalink)
                                                        Dog Boss ,
                                                        Feel free to visit Hot Dog Nation on Facebook as many have gotten  ahold of us there
                                                        We are accepting reservations for the 9TH Annual Tour and already have close to one motorcoach filled.
                                                        We expect to sell out two again .
                                                        Usually not too many posts over the winter for this thread but with the hot dog groups growing on Facebook its understandable .
                                                        Those  interested can sendme a message on here or FB either is fine
                                                        Benzee

John Fox

Re:8th Annual Jersey Hot Dog Tour - Sept 24th , 2011 - past trip reports Thu, 05/10/12 8:54 AM (permalink)
                                                          The 9th Annual New Jersey Hot Dog Tour will be on Saturday, Sept. 22nd. It's been mentioned here before, but I'd like to remind everyone. Those who want to attend, contact Benzee (Erwin Benz) who handles the travel arrangements and reservations. He does the lion's share of the work. Send a message here or email him at benzee95@hotmail.com. I'm responsible for the itinerary and contacting the establishments and making sure they can handle our group. I try to get discounts, and freebies but will not add a place unless they put out a good product regardless of what they are willing to do for us. Different styles of hot dogs are featured.Old favorites are rotated while new places are added. I also try to get media coverage. I'd love to have television coverage for once.

The final itinerary is not set yet, but I do have a few places picked out which will be revealed at a future time. There will be at least 2 places that have not previously been on the Tour. And probably 3. Two are fairly new. There will be a nice surprise waiting for us at some of the stops. There is also a great chance that a local television station will do a short piece on the Tour. I'll know for sure soon. Hopefully one of the newspapers will be there.

Since we've expanded to 2 buses in the last few years, time is an issue. It takes longer at each stop with one extra bus. We were almost charged a couple of hundred dollars for exceeding the time alloted or agreed on. We do not make money on this Tour. What's left over gets spent on refreshments on the bus and goes to supplement the driver's tip. For this reason we will have to have the stops closer together than in the past. This may mean not having a stop I'd like to have included. Another place making a product in the same style (and of the same quality) could replace this one. Fortunately the stops I have in mind are fairly close together, including the newer ones.

This year's Tour is shaping up to be the best one yet. There will be a 2 bus limt even though we can fill more. Reserve early to be a part of the Ninth Annual New Jersey Hot Dog Tour.

Benzee

• Location: Bullville , NY
                                                            Re:8th Annual Jersey Hot Dog Tour - Sept 24th , 2011 - past trip reports Sun, 06/10/12 9:29 PM (permalink)
                                                            Hello all ,
                                                            Great post by John Fox  on the tour .
                                                            Reservations are now being accepted
                                                            benzee95@hotmail.com or message me here
                                                            Dont get shut out , checks and now paypal accepted .
                                                            Benzee

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                              Change Page: << < ..414243 > | Showing page 41 of 43, messages 1201 to 1230 of 1280

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 22 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com