Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Peppermint Balls

Change Page: < 123 > | Showing page 2 of 3, messages 31 to 60 of 72
snowkat

• Total Posts: 1
RE: Peppermint Balls Tue, 04/8/08 6:23 PM (permalink)
Years ago when I lived on Long Island, we used to get this candy that
looked liked sponges, and it would melt in your mouth. It was made
from molasses. Well, as usual it disappeared too. A few years ago
my grandmother got this catalog from The Vermont Country Store and
guess what was inside? YUP, the candy. Well they claim that they
can find anything. They're on the web, check them out, maybe they
can help find the candy. (I remember that candy too, we used to get
it at Walgreens and K-Mart).

pittpanther

• Total Posts: 2
    RE: Peppermint Balls Tue, 05/27/08 7:46 PM (permalink)
    My sister and I were just talking about this candy recently... we also used to buy it from Woolworth's, G.C. Murphy's and K-Mart. We thought it was from Brach's - and preferred the non-mint flavors (especially cherry!)

I checked out some of the recommendations in this thread, but I do not believe any are the same :(...

sugarbritches

RE: Peppermint Balls Tue, 10/28/08 8:12 PM (permalink)
      I'm glad to know I am not the only person who has spent countless hours looking for these old favorites. The closest I've found (most or all of them referenced here) are still too much like a buttermint in texture. The way I've described these are ping-pong ball weight as well as sized/shaped- with a crunchy shell on the outside and an airy center that melts instantly when bitten into. I liken the texture to cotton candy that has been exposed to heat (left in a car) long enough to flatten much of the air out. Like Jeh7774 said, if you left the lid off the canister, they would stick together. We got ours mostly at the local "five and dime" where mint was common but certain times of the year they had the fruit flavors. From time to time, K-Mart would have them but they only carried the mint. MAN, I wish somebody would make these again.

Capybara91

• Total Posts: 240
        RE: Peppermint Balls Wed, 10/29/08 10:30 AM (permalink)

mland520

• Total Posts: 485
          RE: Peppermint Balls Wed, 10/29/08 10:57 AM (permalink)
          Sees Candy in California makes these also....and they are available by mail order.

cin

RE: Peppermint Balls Tue, 11/4/08 7:29 PM (permalink)
            Today, I just found the wintergreen puff balls. Go to www.HSN.com and type in wintergreen puff candy for the search. You can order on line.

They are goooood!

shybug

RE: Peppermint Balls Tue, 11/18/08 12:26 AM (permalink)
              I remember these and have been looking for them for a long time. My great Grandmother always kept a can of these next to her chair where she watched tv. I really wish these were still being made or if they are, where to find them. These are totally different from the Bob's or King Leo's brand, these 2 brands do melt in your mouth, but not instantly like the air light puffs so many others are describing and trying to locate. These were so light you could crush them in your hand into powder with no effort.

ellen4641

• Total Posts: 3531
                RE: Peppermint Balls Tue, 11/18/08 1:30 AM (permalink)
                how about some good sugar free wrapped mints?!? (with a nice natural taste)
                Anything good out there?

ellen4641

RE: Peppermint Balls Wed, 11/19/08 8:42 PM (permalink)
                  Well, any good sugar free wrapped mints?
                  Hurry, as it's getting lonely on this "snacks and candy" forum !!!

Capybara91

RE: Peppermint Balls Wed, 11/19/08 9:07 PM (permalink)
                    quote:
                    Originally posted by ellen4641

Well, any good sugar free wrapped mints?
                    Hurry, as it's getting lonely on this "snacks and candy" forum !!!

Well, I did find some vodka-filled chocolates from Finland in the Vermont Country Catalog. I didn't check out the sugar content.

Ma'am, you looked like candy in that Halloween jail-bird outfit. That's a compliment, not a come-on.

ellen4641

RE: Peppermint Balls Thu, 11/20/08 12:20 AM (permalink)
                      quote:
                      Originally posted by Capybara91[/i
                      Ma'am, you looked like candy in that Halloween jail-bird outfit. That's a compliment, not a come-on.

Thank you! I'll gladly take that compliment..
                      (stay tuned for next Halloween when I plan to go as a "naughty Girl Scout"...)
                      Trick or Treat!!!!

Now back to our regular programming...
                      that sweet candy talk!

Capybara91

RE: Peppermint Balls Thu, 11/20/08 5:50 AM (permalink)
                        quote:
                        Originally posted by ellen4641

quote:
                        Originally posted by Capybara91[/i

Thank you! I'll gladly take that compliment..
                        (stay tuned for next Halloween when I plan to go as a "naughty Girl Scout"...)
                        Trick or Treat!!!!

Now back to our regular programming...
                        that sweet candy talk!

And, for that, we shall all give thanks. As the Boy Scout motto goes, "On my honor I will do my best, to help the Girl Scouts..." But I digress. Must focus on peppermint balls.

andrewt

RE: Peppermint Balls Mon, 12/1/08 9:21 PM (permalink)
                          If anyone is still reading these. Ive been searching for awhile now. And I think i have to say i found them. Or atleast the closest things that look like them. im ordering them as we speak!

http://www.fortnumandmason.com/Product/Strawberry-Bon-Bons,4987,337.aspx

andrewt

RE: Peppermint Balls Mon, 12/1/08 9:24 PM (permalink)
                            Their not in bags like when they were sold at kmart. but these look the closest out of everything ive searched for. its worth a try.

tmadden

RE: Peppermint Balls Mon, 12/1/08 9:57 PM (permalink)
                              Hey Andrew! Let me know if they really are the puffed sugar balls! It's hard to tell from the pix on the web site! I've been searching for the butterscotch ones!!! :)~

MGWerks

• Total Posts: 231
                                RE: Peppermint Balls Thu, 12/4/08 12:02 AM (permalink)
                                Bought a huge plastic tub of these individually-wrapped at Costco or a very reasonable price. You know, for a container that size, they sure didn't last too long!

Cinnamom

RE: Peppermint Balls Thu, 12/4/08 11:55 PM (permalink)
                                  I've been wishing and wishing that I could find Elmer's Fruit Bubblets for AGES! Just ran across this thread after posting a 'wish I could find ...' customer request to Vermont Country Store. The peppermint ones were okay, but my brother & I just loved the fruit ones. I've often thought of them as having the approximate texture of semi-solidified cotton candy in a crunchy shell. I loved the way they just collapsed into a puddle of flavor in the mouth, but I loved to crunch them, too. I would eat so many my tongue would get sore from 'sugar burn'! I'd sure like to find these again. Oooo, butterscotch flavor sounds FABULOUS!!! Elmer;s only made fruit flavored and mint flavored. I'd settle for 'close' if that's all I could find, I guess.

ChicagoIrish

• Total Posts: 71
                                    Re:Peppermint Balls Sat, 12/27/08 7:50 AM (permalink)
                                    I too loved these mints and have been looking for them as well.  Not sure if these are the same, but they do look very similar...

http://www.candywarehouse.com/mintballs.html

nostalgicfoodguy

• Total Posts: 14
                                      Re:Peppermint Balls Sun, 01/4/09 4:01 PM (permalink)
                                      I remember these 'Air Bons' type of candy too, and I loved them. I remember them being around in the 1960's and 70's, even occasionally in the 1980's. The last time I ever saw them was at a K-Mart about 1991. They were in cellophane bags hanging on a plastic strip at the front register. The red (peppermint) ones were my least favorite flavor, I liked the green ones (spearmint) much better but my favorites were the caramel colored ones-butterscotch!  (and I don't even like any other kind of butterscotch candy).

It's been nearly 20 years now and I have never seen them since. The 'Bobs Sweet Stripes' and other peppermint balls people have shown on this thread are NOT at all the right kind of candy. "Bob's" style of mints are solid all the way through, these air bons were almost all hollow in the middle with just a few sugary strands that dissolved instantly on the tounge. (It's possible though, one of the peppermint puffs type of candy MIGHT  be the correct one. It's extremely hard to tell since they look almost identical.)

<message edited by nostalgicfoodguy on Sun, 01/4/09 4:03 PM>

Cici318

Re:Peppermint Balls Fri, 03/6/09 1:02 PM (permalink)
                                        I have been looking for these too, and can't believe so many people are with me on this! My boyfriend used to tell me the candy was like an imaginary friend that only I could remember! I finally did find an older lady that owns a candy store here in town and she remembers them. Unfortunately, she says they were discontinued because of problems with the elderly and children inhaling the entire ball and choking because they were so light. I was so disappointed, so if any of you find this isn't the case, please let me know.

gotmint

Re:Peppermint Balls Fri, 03/20/09 2:12 AM (permalink)
                                          I cant get over how many others are trying to find this candy. I loved the peppermint ones. And yes I've tried the chalky versions made by others but NOTHING compares with the flavor and texture of those sweet and wonderful mint bon bons...at least not for me.
                                             My graqndma used to by them at the K&B here in the New Orleans area they came in a clear plastic bag, I would save my change to be able to by them myself if I could. Haven't seen them for years..of course K&B is gone too...
                                            I have searched and googled and pretty much given up hope. I found this site and am hope with so many of us out there searching maybe someone will find a company out there who still makes them....Good Luck everyone.

arianej

• Total Posts: 205
                                            RE: Peppermint Balls Fri, 03/20/09 3:22 AM (permalink)
                                            Anyone looking for either the soft peppermint stick version or the soft peppermint ball (King Leo brand, I think it was) of this candy might take a look at their nearby dollar stores.  I've seen this at Dollar Tree and Dollar General in the candy section-- usually around Christmas, but at other times as well.

SassyGritsAL

• Total Posts: 1089
                                              RE: Peppermint Balls Tue, 03/24/09 5:18 PM (permalink)
                                              Sorry guys, but the ones you are seeing (the King Leo brand, the ones at the Dollar Tree, Gen. Dol., etc.) are still not the ones the original poster is talking about. I too, have searched for the puffy-type ball mints countless time and I don't think they make them any more. Though, I wish they did. I remember my Mom was hooked on them and we got them at K-Mart (this was abour 40 years ago!).

Wisher

Re:Peppermint Balls Mon, 04/13/09 9:16 PM (permalink)
                                                I know exactly what you mean and have never found them.  They are definitely NOT the individually wrapped "peppermint puffs" or "soft peppermints" by Red Bird a lot of people recommend.  Originally they came in a bag like marshmallows, but eventually switched to a container that looked like a coffee can made of cardboard (more air tight).   They might have been made by the Leaf Candy Company, but I'm not sure.

They were definitely round balls about 1" in diameter.  (The Red Bird peppermints are flat on the top and bottom.)   They dissolved in your mouth exactly as you described.  (They didn't melt.)  They were almost like a crunchy cotton-candy.

I've been looking for a long time too - Vermont Country Store, Candy-Crate, Groovy Candy, etc.  They all sell the Red Bird soft peppermint puffs (that are more like buttermints) but no one seems to sell the peppermint puffs that were like small crunchy peppermint cotton-candy balls - white with red stripes.  The red stripes were not always clearly defined.  They were just kind of sprayed on and were sometimes very faint in color. 

welkom1968

Re:Peppermint Balls Sat, 06/13/09 8:25 AM (permalink)
                                                  I've found the company that made them -- unfortunately they don't make them anymore. It was Whitman's candies in Philadelphia. The product came in a green tin with a picture of the mints which were white with a thin red stripe. The product was called MINT AIR BONS. I have emailed Whitman's trying to find out if they are still available but have not had a reply as yet.

Bacheller

Re:Peppermint Balls Wed, 02/3/10 8:14 PM (permalink)
                                                    Yes I just found this thread.

I was born in Maine and my grandmother would buy these candies at the local CVS drug store.  They are mint balls that are filled with air and round.  They came in many flavors and I remember buying them before I left Maine for the Army in 1990.  They were cheap and they came in a bag and they were not wrapped. 

I wish that these things could be found somewhere.

Man they were good.

chikpea2459

RE: Peppermint Balls Sat, 01/15/11 9:04 PM (permalink)
                                                      The Elmer's company has quit making the Bubblets.They are focused on seasonal items now.Believe me I have sent them e-mails over the years begging to have them back.They say no.I'll keep trying!

Foodbme

• Total Posts: 9583
                                                        RE: Peppermint Balls Sun, 01/16/11 2:35 AM (permalink)
                                                        In the PXH area, get them at:
                                                        Sweeties Candy of Arizona
                                                        1050 West Chandler Boulevard,
                                                        Chandler, AZ 85224
                                                        (480) 899-4245 ‎
                                                        Along with a lot of other old time candies!

yve

• Location: Columbia, MO
                                                          Re:Peppermint Balls Mon, 07/11/11 12:16 PM (permalink)
                                                          A gentleman who says he works for Russell Stover/Whitman's, posted that Air Bons were going to return to the market at Russell Stover last week.  I live just a few miles from a Russell Stover so I went there as soon as the shipment came in.  They are indeed called "Air Bons" but they are the same thing as Bob's Sweet Stripes and the many other similar mints out there, unfortunately.  They are NOT the super light, airy, literally melt-in-your-mouth mints that I also recall from the 70s that came in peppermint and spearmint and we, as someone else said, like crispy balls of cotton candy.  I am so sorry to tell you guys this!  But please keep me posted if you do hear about the real thing coming back on the market.  Sooooooo good...

Sundancer7

Re:Peppermint Balls Mon, 07/11/11 7:29 PM (permalink)
                                                            My father was a school teacher and while he was principal, one of his students brought him some butter flavored peppermint balls.  They were excellent and they would melt in your mouth.  I have never ever had anything like them.  The lady that made them would not give us the recipe.  I wish I had it.

That was 50 years ago.

Papaw Smith passed on about 22 years ago.  I sincerely miss him.

Paul E. Smith
                                                            Knoxville, TN

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                              Change Page: < 123 > | Showing page 2 of 3, messages 31 to 60 of 72

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 2 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com