The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider

What are you reading?

Change Page: << < ..414243444546474849 > | Showing page 43 of 49, messages 1261 to 1290 of 1470
Davydd

• Total Posts: 6224
RE: What are you reading? Tue, 12/11/12 6:32 PM (permalink)
Easydoesit,

I suspect Virgil Flowers is going to have to come over to your area and clean up some messes in the next novel. They've had too many bloodbaths already in southwest Minnesota. 

felix4067

• Total Posts: 3303
    RE: What are you reading? Tue, 12/11/12 8:44 PM (permalink)
    I'm ashamed to admit I've not read any of the Virgil Flowers series yet. They are NEVER on the shelf at the library, and I never think to order them. Have to fix that soon!

I'm about to finish Eyes Wide Open, by Andrew Gross. He's one of the many co-authors of James Patterson, and in my opinion much better than Patterson (although it's hard to tell, since Patterson hasn't actually written one of the 12 novels he publishes under his name per year for a while). It's pretty darn good, although it borrows heavily from the Manson family while giving them a completely different name and date.

ann peeples

• Total Posts: 8317
      RE: What are you reading? Wed, 12/12/12 9:00 AM (permalink)
      I, too like Andrew Gross, Felix. Thanks for the recommendation.

easydoesit

• Total Posts: 470
        Re:What are you reading? Wed, 12/12/12 2:23 PM (permalink)
        Tony Bad

River of Lakes - Bill Belleville.

It is about the St. John's river in Florida.

Ever read Red Grass River by James Carlos Blake?  It's a wild Florida semi-historical ride.  He's got some other good stuff too, wish he would write more.

felix4067

• Total Posts: 3303
          RE: What are you reading? Wed, 12/12/12 3:51 PM (permalink)
          ann peeples

I, too like Andrew Gross, Felix. Thanks for the recommendation.

You're welcome! Although I have to admit, I was a little disappointed in it by the end. Not bad, just not one of his best. But that made perfect sense when I read his afterward, in which he explains that this book was a way of exorcising some personal demons.

ces1948

• Total Posts: 1499
            RE: What are you reading? Wed, 12/12/12 5:40 PM (permalink)
            Finally finished "Blue Highways" seems I've been reading it forever. I did enjoy the book though for some reason I only wanted to read 20-30 pages at a sitting.

Tony Bad

Re:What are you reading? Wed, 12/12/12 5:43 PM (permalink)
              easydoesit

Tony Bad

River of Lakes - Bill Belleville.

It is about the St. John's river in Florida.

Ever read Red Grass River by James Carlos Blake?  It's a wild Florida semi-historical ride.  He's got some other good stuff too, wish he would write more.

I have not but will check it out. Thanks for the recommendation.

love2bake

• Total Posts: 1279
                Re:What are you reading? Wed, 12/12/12 6:48 PM (permalink)
                Immoveable Feast:  A Paris Christmas (John Baxter) for my holiday read. 
                Then on to some Stuart Woods in the new year.

mr chips

• Total Posts: 4715
                  Re:What are you reading? Sat, 03/16/13 4:14 PM (permalink)
                  Finished 2 books recently. Michael connely's "The Black Box" is a fine mystery featuring Connelly's master detective Harry Bosch. It pivots mid book to a different kind of mystery than originally indicated but the author is always a great read. Peter Ames carlin's biography of Bruce Springsteen "Bruce" is sometimes a bit too detailed about the the boss;s tours and recording sessions but it is  good read.

<message edited by mr chips on Mon, 03/18/13 12:22 AM>

Louis

• Total Posts: 714
                    Re:What are you reading? Sun, 03/17/13 2:29 PM (permalink)
                    I just finished two books.  The first was "The Great Rascal: The Life and Adventures of Ned Buntline" (1951).  I originally bought the book just to obtain the bibliography, reputed to be the most complete of Buntline's works.

The second book was "The Rifle Rangers" (1850) by Mayne Reid.  This is one of the first two or three western ever written, and it is a dandy.  Lively.  Very readable.  A real page turner.  Makes you want to see what's going to happen next, and how the hero is going to overcome all sorts of insurmountable odds.  I was expecting stodgy writing, due to its age.  Instead I discovered something that could have been written 100 years later.  The ambiance of the whole production reminds me of a John Ford western film production, full of equal amounts of action, drama and comedy.  It was a real surprise!  I don't know why no one has ever republished it.  My copy was a reprint from 1899.

<message edited by Louis on Sun, 03/17/13 2:36 PM>

EdSails

• Total Posts: 3588
                      Re:What are you reading? Sun, 03/17/13 5:15 PM (permalink)
                      Just started reading The Parrot Talks in Chocolate (The Life and Times of a Hawaiian Tiki Bar #1) by Everett Peacock. Looks like it will be a fun book!

jaylhorner

• Total Posts: 427
                        Re:What are you reading? Sun, 03/17/13 5:16 PM (permalink)
                        Alex Cross, Run..... James Patterson

jaylhorner

• Total Posts: 427
                          Re:What are you reading? Sun, 03/17/13 5:20 PM (permalink)
                          Also,  School Days... Robert Parker.  Audio disc in car.

ces1948

Re:What are you reading? Sun, 03/17/13 8:10 PM (permalink)
                            Trying out Ace Atkins. Don't know if he will grab me or not. Also spent a lot of time making a netbook mainly function as an e-reader but not really pleased with the outcome. Maybe I'll just pickup a refurb Nook simple touch instead.

pnwchef

• Total Posts: 2245
                              RE: What are you reading? Sun, 03/17/13 8:55 PM (permalink)
                              mar52

Chewy, The book I'm now reading is a Stone Barrington novel and it's you I see when I'm reading it. 

Chewy, when I read Stone Barrington ( Priss) I see Jack Reacher coming by and kicking his butt............
                              just finished Touch & Go by Lisa Gardner.......now reading Alez Cross Run, by Patterson
                              <message edited by pnwchef on Mon, 03/18/13 9:29 AM>

ces1948

RE: What are you reading? Sun, 03/17/13 10:40 PM (permalink)
                                I started listening to an audio book last "The Regulators" by Stephen King (Bachman) 1st time in several years I've tried an audio book. It was pretty disconcerting when the person reading would change his voice when different characters were speaking. Not sure audio books are my cup of tea.

jmckee

• Total Posts: 1172
                                  RE: What are you reading? Mon, 03/18/13 11:35 AM (permalink)
                                  Superman: The High-Flying History of America's Most Enduring Hero. Absolutely fascinating.

http://www.amazon.com/Superman-High-Flying-History-Americas-Enduring/dp/1400068665/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1363620631&sr=1-1&keywords=superman+history

Also reading Verdi With a Vengeance: An Energetic Guide to the Life and Complete Works of the King of Opera in preparation to sing in an all Verdi-Wagner concert with the Cincinnati May Festival chorus in a couple of months. http://www.amazon.com/Verdi-Vengeance-Energetic-Guide-Complete/dp/037570518X/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1363620865&sr=1-1&keywords=verdi+with+a+vengeance

love2bake

• Total Posts: 1279
                                    RE: What are you reading? Mon, 03/18/13 10:14 PM (permalink)
                                    ces1948

I started listening to an audio book last "The Regulators" by Stephen King (Bachman) 1st time in several years I've tried an audio book. It was pretty disconcerting when the person reading would change his voice when different characters were speaking. Not sure audio books are my cup of tea.

Unless it's a really interesting book, it'll put me to sleep like someone reading me a bedtime story.  However, a few audio books have kept me company driving across the country:  The Summons (John Grisham), Standing in the Rainbow (Fannie Flagg), and Travels with Charley (John Steinbeck).   Seems like Stephen King would be excellent!

ann peeples

• Total Posts: 8317
                                      RE: What are you reading? Tue, 03/19/13 2:59 AM (permalink)
                                      Jay-Love the Alex Cross books!

FriedClamFanatic

• Total Posts: 1500
                                        RE: What are you reading? Tue, 03/19/13 12:08 PM (permalink)
                                        ces1948

Finally finished "Blue Highways" seems I've been reading it forever. I did enjoy the book though for some reason I only wanted to read 20-30 pages at a sitting.

William Leastheat Moon is a great storyteller. I adored Blue Highways decades ago and his book on Iowa and then the story of his travel across the USA via boat.......the route now no longer passable. A little info, a little introspection, a lot of laughs.  Would have loved to have met him in a RF café along the way

jmckee

• Total Posts: 1172
                                          RE: What are you reading? Tue, 03/19/13 12:46 PM (permalink)
                                          FriedClamFanatic

ces1948

William Leastheat Moon is a great storyteller. I adored Blue Highways decades ago and his book on Iowa and then the story of his travel across the USA via boat.......the route now no longer passable. A little info, a little introspection, a lot of laughs.  Would have loved to have met him in a RF café along the way

A great opening line: “Beware thoughts that come in the night. They aren't turned properly; they come in askew, free of sense and restriction, deriving from the most remote of sources.”

ces1948

RE: What are you reading? Tue, 03/19/13 10:55 PM (permalink)
                                            Saw earlier today that Amazon is offering a free Kindle copy of the Da Vinci Code. If you've got a Kindle or the Kindle app for your PC it's a great deal. I downloaded it this morning and there are no strings attached.
                                            http://www.amazon.com/gp/...F8&ref=oce_digital

BelleReve

• Total Posts: 1137
                                              RE: What are you reading? Sat, 03/23/13 2:23 PM (permalink)
                                              I just started reading Truth in Advertising by John Kenney which I'm really enjoying, it's the author's first novel, a funny, behind the scenes look at ad agencies. 

ces1948

RE: What are you reading? Sat, 03/23/13 5:15 PM (permalink)
                                                I'm about halfway through "Roadwork" by Richard Bachman (aka Stephen King) It's the story of a man who is slowly losing it because a coming freeway expansion will destroy his house and his place of employment. Enjoying it so far as it doesn't really have any supernatural or other worldly stuff which I find tiresome in some of his books.
                                                I'm reading it on my newly purchased from Ebay used Nook color which is quite nice even though it's not the latest model.
                                                One thing that has really surprised me is the amount of typos and misspellings in this electronic version.

leethebard

• Total Posts: 6082
                                                  RE: What are you reading? Sun, 03/24/13 3:32 PM (permalink)
                                                  Just finished the Complete Sherlock Holmes and now am half way through my latest edition to my Shakespeare library, with the all to common title, The Life Of William Shakespeare, this one  by Lois Potter, was published in 2012 and looks at his life through his works. Fascinating reading!

carlton pierre

• Total Posts: 2500
                                                    RE: What are you reading? Mon, 03/25/13 8:44 AM (permalink)
                                                    I've got 2 really good books going right now:  Detroit/ An American Autopsy  by Charlie LeDuff is excellent reading.
                                                    To End All Wars by Adam Hochschild is also excellent, about the start and events leading up to WWI

Davydd

• Total Posts: 6224
                                                      RE: What are you reading? Tue, 03/26/13 7:42 PM (permalink)
                                                      I just finished the 13th book in the Joe Pickett, Wyoming game warden, mystery series by C. J. Box. Joe Pickett is a Dudley Do-right sort of guy. The book was, Breaking Point and the subject was about the abuse by the EPA on individuals and the use of drones on American civilians on American soil by our government. Farfetched? Not really. A good read but I got to warn you. The Joe Pickett series is a growth timeline over the years series about his family, friends, townfolk and enemies and is best read in order from oldest book to newest to fully appreciate.

leethebard

RE: What are you reading? Tue, 04/2/13 2:44 PM (permalink)
                                                        About to start an Easton Press version of Moby Dick. Oooohhh that leather  and 24 caret gold feels so good!!

improviser

• Total Posts: 865
                                                          • Location: Clemson, SC
                                                          RE: What are you reading? Sun, 04/14/13 6:15 PM (permalink)
                                                          Finished Strange Embrace by Lawrence Block, a novel originally published more than 50 years ago under a pseudonym. A few years ago, Hard Case Crime and Subterranean Press reissued the novel in a special edition with another Block book, 69 Barrow Street.
                                                          Strange Embrace finds a theater producer trying to discover who is trying to shut down his surefire hit show, somebody who seems willing to kill to do. Quick read that I really enjoyed.

leethebard

• Location: brick, NJ
                                                            RE: What are you reading? Sun, 04/14/13 6:28 PM (permalink)
                                                            I'm in my classics kick again. My son just got accepted to Princeton,class of'17, so I decided to read F.Scott Fitzgerald's THIS SIDE OF PARADISE. It is set mainly at Princeton U. He was class of 1917, 100 years earlier! Just Started Melville's Moby Dick.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                              Change Page: << < ..414243444546474849 > | Showing page 43 of 49, messages 1261 to 1290 of 1470

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 4 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com