Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Discontinued Cereals

Change Page: 123456 > | Showing page 1 of 6, messages 1 to 30 of 174
John In Seattle

• Total Posts: 55
Discontinued Cereals Sat, 08/26/06 6:17 PM (permalink)
Does anyone recall "Team Flakes" made by General Mills? They were a combination of four grains (Wheat Rice Corn and Oats) all in one flake. One of my favorites, but they are not made anymore.

Does anyone else recall them, or have memories of cereals that are no longer being made?

Grillmeister

• Total Posts: 204
    RE: Discontinued Cereals Sat, 08/26/06 6:44 PM (permalink)

For some reason "Quisp" (an alien) and "Quake" (some type of miner) stand out in my mind. I remember I got to try them before any of the other kids because my grandfather worked for a local Quaker Oats plant.

xannie_01

• Total Posts: 1481
      RE: Discontinued Cereals Sat, 08/26/06 6:45 PM (permalink)
      do flute flakes count?

BigGlenn

RE: Discontinued Cereals Sat, 08/26/06 7:19 PM (permalink)

Frankenberry

Diner-Lover

• Total Posts: 246
          RE: Discontinued Cereals Sun, 08/27/06 12:05 AM (permalink)
          John In Seattle, I remember Team flakes; I assumed they were still being made!

Does anyone remember a cereal possibly named "Twinkle"? I'm not sure of its name, but I remember eating it for breakfast when I was a very young kid in the very early 60's and it tasted something like lightly sugar frosted Cheerios. I think it might have had an elephant on the package and the neat thing about it was that it had a page attached to the back of the box that opened out like a book and there were puzzles and little stories you could read while you ate.

ann peeples

• Total Posts: 8317
            RE: Discontinued Cereals Sun, 08/27/06 12:12 AM (permalink)
            I remember Team flakes, and my favorites-Quisp and Quake-laughed out loud when i saw that!!!

Jennifer_4

• Total Posts: 1508
              RE: Discontinued Cereals Sun, 08/27/06 1:37 AM (permalink)
              I remember Team flakes..butI remember Twinkle as being star shaped with a hole in the center.

FlippyTheRed

RE: Discontinued Cereals Sun, 08/27/06 3:36 AM (permalink)
                Freakies

felix4067

• Total Posts: 3306
                  RE: Discontinued Cereals Sun, 08/27/06 3:47 AM (permalink)
                  quote:
                  Originally posted by BigGlenn

Frankenberry

Boo Berry and Fruit Brute, too!

FlippyTheRed

RE: Discontinued Cereals Sun, 08/27/06 3:55 AM (permalink)
                    King Vitaman?

Gizmolito

• Total Posts: 312
                      RE: Discontinued Cereals Sun, 08/27/06 8:28 AM (permalink)
                      You can find a lot of the good old cereals and their associated characters at this site:
                      http://www.lavasurfer.com/cereal-guide.html

I didn't realize how many I had forgotten about.

DavidEMartin

• Total Posts: 173
                        RE: Discontinued Cereals Sun, 08/27/06 12:12 PM (permalink)
                        Gawd, were Freakies awful!
                        But even worse was a similar cereal, Giggles Smiles and Laughs. My younger sister and I were cereal addicts, capable of devouring boxes of just about anything you could pour milk over but these intensely colored smilie faces turned us right off. It was the first time Mom had to throw out a barely-touched box of cereal.

Addams Family wasn't too bad for a temp tie-in cereal. It had a flavor akin to Capn Crunch but with a touch of vanilla cream.

Diner-Lover

RE: Discontinued Cereals Sun, 08/27/06 12:21 PM (permalink)
                          quote:
                          Originally posted by Jennifer_4

..butI remember Twinkle as being star shaped with a hole in the center.

I didn't remember what shape it was, but it makes sense the cereal was star-shaped since it was named "Twinkle". So glad to know someone else has heard of this long-ago cereal and that my memory is somewhat intact. Jennifer-- Do you remember the Twinkle box having a page attached that you could read?

BrooklynBill

• Total Posts: 187
                            RE: Discontinued Cereals Sun, 08/27/06 12:52 PM (permalink)
                            How about Kellogg's Pep?
                            I ate it religiously just to get a comic button pin or a military logo pin.
                            It also sponsored the Superman Radio Program, which offered great things that you could send away for, if you included a Pep box top.
                            I really hated that cereal!

Bill

Stewdude

RE: Discontinued Cereals Sun, 08/27/06 1:46 PM (permalink)
                              For those lamenting Quisp and Quake, here is a trip down memory lane. The original 1960's commercial for these "energy" cereals.

I can't get the link to work but if you search Yahoo Video for "quisp commercial", you will find at the top of the list the original Quisp v. Quake commercial. BTW...on the nostalgia front, if you love the old 60's commercials, check out tons and tons of old favorites at tvparty.com. Lots of the old food commercials are there as well as many other classics (remember the Benson & Hedges commercial for he extra long cigarrettes???)

pigface

• Total Posts: 406
                                RE: Discontinued Cereals Sun, 08/27/06 1:53 PM (permalink)
                                quote:
                                Originally posted by BrooklynBill

How about Kellogg's Pep?
                                I ate it religiously just to get a comic button pin or a military logo pin.
                                It also sponsored the Superman Radio Program, which offered great things that you could send away for, if you included a Pep box top.
                                I really hated that cereal!

Bill

Thanks for bringing that AWFUL MEMORY back
                                I think my grandmother was still feeding me PEP Flakes 10 years after they were discontinued ... Age didn't improve that flavor ... Glad things are dated today ... I think I could still hear her say ... Your Mother wouldn't eat these ... you try 'em ...

Ashphalt

• Total Posts: 1644
                                  RE: Discontinued Cereals Sun, 08/27/06 2:26 PM (permalink)
                                  I had forgotten Team Flakes. I remember I liked them alot.

Something similar that I liked even better was Fortified Oat Flakes. I think it was a Post product. If I remember correctly, I started on Team after the Oat Flakes disappeared.

Only sweet cereal I ever got regularly was Kaboom! That was after one of those studies saying that lab mice fed cereal boxes thrived while those fed cereal didn't. Turned out at the time that, despite a ton of sugar, Kaboom was the second-highest in nutrients. So my Mom broke down and started buying me sugar-coated vitamin puffs in circus shapes.

BethCad

• Total Posts: 1
                                    RE: Discontinued Cereals Sun, 08/27/06 3:19 PM (permalink)
                                    quote:
                                    Originally posted by Grillmeister

For some reason "Quisp" (an alien) and "Quake" (some type of miner) stand out in my mind. I remember I got to try them before any of the other kids because my grandfather worked for a local Quaker Oats plant.

After being a lurker for years, I finally decided to get in on the fun. When I was a kid Quisp was my favorite, while my brother was a fan of Quake. If you're willing to pay the price, you can actually buy Quisp online at http://www.Quisp.com. What I find odd is that Quake is nowhere to be found.

~Beth

Starlord

• Total Posts: 27
                                      RE: Discontinued Cereals Sun, 08/27/06 8:18 PM (permalink)
                                      Thanks for the memories. As far as Quisp goes, it is my understanding that it is widely availeable once more, and I have seen it at Wal-Mart.

While not clearly a cereal, I have to mention Ovaltine here, I believe it is, or was, a cereal-based product that you added to milk for a chocolate-like drink. I remember drinking what seemed like a ton of Ovaltine to get my Captain Midnight Secret Decoder Ring. Like the kid in 'Christmas Story,' I ws very disappointed to find that Captain Midnight's secret messages to his squadron mainly consisted of exhortations to drink more Ovaltine. Every time I think of Ovaltine now, I want to find Captain Midnight and slap him silly. :)

xannie_01

• Total Posts: 1481
                                        RE: Discontinued Cereals Sun, 08/27/06 8:49 PM (permalink)
                                        many of the cereals mentioned can still be purchased at
                                        www.hometownfavorites.com

dayle

Diner-Lover

RE: Discontinued Cereals Mon, 08/28/06 12:20 AM (permalink)
                                          Here's a site I found that has the Twinkles cereal box pages I mentioned. What a blast from the past!

http://www.timepassagesnostalgia.com/&searchkeywords=twinkle+cereal&sis=1&rdir=1

mr chips

• Total Posts: 4715
                                            RE: Discontinued Cereals Mon, 08/28/06 12:22 AM (permalink)
                                            My grandmother fed me that awful Uncle Sam stuff.

felix4067

• Total Posts: 3306
                                              RE: Discontinued Cereals Mon, 08/28/06 2:32 AM (permalink)
                                              quote:
                                              Originally posted by Starlord

While not clearly a cereal, I have to mention Ovaltine here, I believe it is, or was, a cereal-based product that you added to milk for a chocolate-like drink. I remember drinking what seemed like a ton of Ovaltine to get my Captain Midnight Secret Decoder Ring. Like the kid in 'Christmas Story,' I ws very disappointed to find that Captain Midnight's secret messages to his squadron mainly consisted of exhortations to drink more Ovaltine. Every time I think of Ovaltine now, I want to find Captain Midnight and slap him silly. :)

Ovaltine is not only still available, they've got a HUGE advertising campaign going (in fact, they've had the same one for the last couple of years at least). You can't watch TV for more than 30 minutes without seeing at least two of their commercials.

ann peeples

• Total Posts: 8317
                                                • Location: West Allis, Wisconsin
                                                RE: Discontinued Cereals Mon, 08/28/06 6:36 AM (permalink)
                                                Xannie-what a fun site!!!I noticed on there that they sell the Wolf brand chili so many have raved about on a different thread-worth ordering?

Ashphalt

• Total Posts: 1644
                                                  RE: Discontinued Cereals Mon, 08/28/06 10:28 AM (permalink)
                                                  quote:
                                                  Originally posted by mr chips

I assume you're still at the commode?

For a time I had a roommate who ate in her sleep (no lie, sleep walked and ate in the process). Another roommeate travelled extensively and was suffering "irregularity" and had some Uncle Sam in the cupboard. Well, one night there was nothing in the fridge so the sleep-eater ate most of a box of Uncle Sam. Didn't make it to work for a couple days afterward.

mr chips

• Total Posts: 4715
                                                    RE: Discontinued Cereals Mon, 08/28/06 10:42 AM (permalink)
                                                    quote:
                                                    Originally posted by Ashphalt

quote:
                                                    Originally posted by mr chips

I assume you're still at the commode?

For a time I had a roommate who ate in her sleep (no lie, sleep walked and ate in the process). Another roommeate travelled extensively and was suffering "irregularity" and had some Uncle Sam in the cupboard. Well, one night there was nothing in the fridge so the sleep-eater ate most of a box of Uncle Sam. Didn't make it to work for a couple days afterward.
                                                    You got that right!

HollyDolly

• Total Posts: 1066
                                                      RE: Discontinued Cereals Mon, 08/28/06 10:51 AM (permalink)
                                                      I remember some of these cereals.I saw Quisp for sale at the Super Target at Loop1604 and Blanco
                                                      Road here in San Antonio.I remember Twinkles too. We ate mainly corn flakes,oatmeal,rice krispies and Chex cereals and cream of wheat.Never had Wheaties,Booberry,and some of those others.

Jennifer_4

• Total Posts: 1508
                                                        RE: Discontinued Cereals Mon, 08/28/06 11:04 AM (permalink)
                                                        quote:
                                                        Originally posted by Diner-Lover

quote:
                                                        Originally posted by Jennifer_4

..butI remember Twinkle as being star shaped with a hole in the center.

I didn't remember what shape it was, but it makes sense the cereal was star-shaped since it was named "Twinkle". So glad to know someone else has heard of this long-ago cereal and that my memory is somewhat intact. Jennifer-- Do you remember the Twinkle box having a page attached that you could read?

Even back then I was concentrating on the food...LOL.. didn't remember the box... I wasn't a cereal box reader until my later years! But those pix you found are great!

bbqjimbob

• Total Posts: 428
                                                          • Location: Louisville, OH
                                                          RE: Discontinued Cereals Tue, 08/29/06 5:47 AM (permalink)
                                                          For those of you who have mentioned Kaboom (one of my childhood favorites), Boo Berry, Franken Berry, and King Vitamin- I have seen all 4 recently at Wal-Mart. I even bought a box of Kaboom- wow- what a difference a few decades will make in one's tastebuds! It was terrible. I couldn't believe I used to love it.

Grillmeister

• Total Posts: 204
                                                            • Location: Sherman, TX
                                                            RE: Discontinued Cereals Tue, 08/29/06 8:03 AM (permalink)

Don't forget the Super Sugar Crisp 45 singles (very thin plastic) that were attached right to the box. I remember they used to put the Archies "Sugar, Sugar" on those. Some kids didn't bother to trim the single and there was this big cardboard rectangle revolving around their turntable!

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                              Change Page: 123456 > | Showing page 1 of 6, messages 1 to 30 of 174

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 2 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com